Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

runoverbobby posted:

Now that cricket came home in the most ridiculous circumstances possible let's do the world a favour and stop playing ODIs
Actually ODIs are the best format of cricket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Until it gets called dead. The throw in was part of an active play so the deflection also counts.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Yes.

I think the rule could change, but it probably won't.

My read is neither player did anything wrong, but it cost runs that were desperately needed.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
It's odd that the batting side can't forfeit the runs. You can walk before the umpire has given you out; why can't a runner and the fielding captain just agree to cancel the overthrows before the umpire signals four?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

However, according to Law 19.8, pertaining to "Overthrow or wilful act of fielder", it would appear that England's second on-field run should not have counted, making it a total of five runs for the incident, not six.

The law states: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act." The crucial clause is the last part. A review of the footage of the incident shows clearly that, at the moment the ball was released by the New Zealand fielder, Martin Guptill, Stokes and his partner, Adil Rashid, had not yet crossed for their second run.

There is potential scope for ambiguity in the wording of the law, given that it references throw or "act", which may pertain to the moment that the ball deflected off Stokes' bat. However, there is no reference to the batsman's actions at any other point in the Law.

Disgusting cheating by the English yet again

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Lol

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Lol at having to cheat to not even beat New Zealand.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Scylo posted:

Disgusting cheating by the English yet again

Can you link the article please

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cricket-why-umpires-may-have-got-crucial-world-cup-final-call-wrong/567925a0-4c25-4d79-b39a-7e748cf2614a

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The act taking the ball over the boundary was clearly the deflection off Stokes bat and not Guptills throw.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Flayer posted:

The act taking the ball over the boundary was clearly the deflection off Stokes bat and not Guptills throw.

Either way, he hadn't completed the run when the ball struck the bat

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Can't wait for New Zealand to lose to India in 2023. Gotta complete the trifecta.

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 15, 2019

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The on field umpires should have gone to the tv umpire to at least check it, Dharmasena sucks and is a modern Steve bucknor

https://twitter.com/brydoncoverdale/status/1150664629200121856

Centusin fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 15, 2019

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
lol poor kiwis dudded by the crooked umps

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I still can't get over the fact that I saw the best cricket match of my life yesterday.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
they've got to change the law regarding overthrows after this. they're obviously not going to take the trophy away from england, but it is funny seeing england supporters think that their victory means less because of this.

its also funny to me that cricinfo still says 'england won the last over eliminator' when they clearly didnt.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You think the nation of '66 will give even the slightest poo poo about this?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
if you read the match summary england clearly won 26-17, great game all

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
welp

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Scylo posted:

The on field umpires should have gone to the tv umpire to at least check it, Dharmasena sucks and is a modern Steve bucknor

https://twitter.com/brydoncoverdale/status/1150664629200121856

What's this guy on about saying it should have been five runs? They had already completed one run and had crossed coming back for the second so clearly six.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

So although the laws are ambiguous this thing that isn't the laws backs up my point so that's what we'll be going off cheers

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Time for England to admit they didn't actually win and hand back the trophy in shame imo.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
No, actually it's fine and the call was correct

The Laws Of Cricket posted:

19.8 Overthrow or wilful act of fielder

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be

any runs for penalties awarded to either side

and     the allowance for the boundary

and     the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had

already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah it was 6 runs. Kiwis are just an embarrassment to the region. Especially after Australia graciously gave them a chance to win. I guess next time Australia will just have to do it themselves

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I wouldn’t say the boundary resulted from an overthrow or from a wilful act given that it was a freak deflection off a batsman’s bat, so still ambiguous imo

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

What's this guy on about saying it should have been five runs? They had already completed one run and had crossed coming back for the second so clearly six.

As far as I know people have looked at the footage and have seen that the batsmen had not crossed at the moment the ball had left the fielders hand. I mean its not just this guy, Simon Taufell was a very respected umpire and is saying the same thing. Nobody is saying it changes the outcome but to not even check something like that at the time seems like an umpiring mistake.

Centusin fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 15, 2019

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

tanglewood1420 posted:

You don't add the runs to the boundary unless it is a overthrow. If it is a overthrow the batters must of crossed at the fielder's throw or intentional act for it to count.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
While we're talking rules:

Saul Goode posted:

In theory, if I bowl an over and a team scores singles off every ball but doesn't lose a wicket and then I bowl another over to a different team and get 5 wickets but am hit for six off the last ball, the second team is by the actual laws of cricket a much better team. How the gently caress is this bullshit in the game.

This wouldn't happen, because the superover ends when you take the second wicket. The rule in question only applies to superovers.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I've basically had no sleep the past two days with a family wedding then an all nighter for the game and I still can't really process everything that happened. That Boult catch where Guptill was right next to him for a simple toss, then that loving heartbreaking deflection off Stokes' bat, the ice cold execution of the runouts on the last two balls then all the super over fuckery.

Between this game, the semi v India, the 2015 semi and the 2015 pool game v Australia we sure know how to do loving crazy intense ODI spectacles (ignore the 2015 final obviously).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Man just a couple of inches off the boundary for that Boult catch or a slightly different angle off the bat and it would have been so different.

At least NZ still have an exciting... tour of Sri Lanka to look forward to still this summer.

:(

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
NZ didnt deserve to lose like that.

While i dont agree with the boundary rule. I presume both sides knew (or should know) about that rule being a thing. So why wouldn't you try smash as many boundaries as possible?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

CyberPingu posted:

NZ didnt deserve to lose like that.

While i dont agree with the boundary rule. I presume both sides knew (or should know) about that rule being a thing. So why wouldn't you try smash as many boundaries as possible?

The odds of it mattering - tied game, then tied super over - are so tiny it's not worth worrying about.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

MrL_JaKiri posted:

While we're talking rules:

This wouldn't happen, because the superover ends when you take the second wicket. The rule in question only applies to superovers.

I wasn't talking about super overs, I was trying to demonstrate how the ICC values system places more worth on a completely worthless metric than an actual measurable statistic that is already used in the game to determine how good or bad a team is. It doesn't matter though, it's done now. The better team of the tournament and the last four years won. Just don't be a bunch of smug cunts about it because you were lucky as poo poo to scrape out of that one you jammy gits.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Saul Goode posted:

Just don't be a bunch of smug cunts about it because you were lucky as poo poo to scrape out of that one you jammy gits.

In the same vein, dont be a sore loser just because your team lost on an established rule.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

goatface posted:

I don't think anyone's declared first innings less than 2 down.

It's happened on two occasions (excluding the 0/0dec):

South Africa vs England in 1931:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-africa-1930-31

New Zealand vs South Africa in 1999:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15856/game/63835/new-zealand-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-south-africa-tour-of-new-zealand-1998-99

both rain affected, although the four forty odd for one declared is a more normal declaration score.

[edit]

Two occasions first innings for a team, both of these are second innings of the match.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 15, 2019

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

My interpretation of the overthrow stuff: "Act" in that law clearly refers to the "wilful act of fielder" in the earlier section. It's there to include things like "overthrows" from someone kicking or deflecting it rather than a blanket "When something happens!" term. Should have been 5, but as the point of interest happened after the second run was completed I see how the umpires got that wrong. Re referring: they don't use the third umpire to poke them about 7+ ball overs and that's a much more important, and common, problem.

Saul Goode posted:

I wasn't talking about super overs, I was trying to demonstrate how the ICC values system places more worth on a completely worthless metric than an actual measurable statistic that is already used in the game to determine how good or bad a team is.

A rule applying exclusively to super overs is not about super overs? More generally, as mentioned, wickets is not a relevant metric in One Day Internationals. The cost of being bowled out and losing wickets is in dot balls and in having your less competent batsmen facing, not risking losing the game. You can lose the game without losing any wickets (although this hasn't happened yet; the fewest number of wickets a losing side has lost for a completed 50 over innings has been 2 (two occasions: Pakistan in 1992, South Africa in January of this year), and 3 for a 60 over game (Gaviskar's famous go-slow in the seventies)).

It's included in the score because that's what a cricket score looks like rather than because it's particularly useful info. On many occasions this world cup I've turned on TMS, heard the score and then gone to cricinfo to see how many overs are left because that's much more important than wickets lost to know how a team are doing.

"Boundaries hit" isn't an especially good metric either here either, as clearly the main benefit of hitting boundaries is the runs, but at the very least it doesn't encourage negative play so it's very narrowly superior to either comparing extras or wickets.

Plenty of sports don't have good tie breakers. Cricket is one of them, but has at least lots of numbers you can arbitrarily look at rather than forcing a full replay like you do in, eg, rowing when you don't have a finish camera.

I'm an official for British Rowing (name in the rule book, etc) and this kind of stuff is functionally impossibly to decide fairly because you're looking at an edge case of an edge case and the chance of everything else being "nice" is pretty low so you go with the one that encourages the most attacking play.

Saul Goode posted:

Just don't be a bunch of smug cunts about it because you were lucky as poo poo to scrape out of that one you jammy gits.

The only smug posting has been by Aussies tbh, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (Side note: I was in the TV coverage, including the BBC highlights, of the Eng/NZ group game wearing my NZ top. I like when NZ win things, although not as much as actual Kiwis do, obvs)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My interpretation of the overthrow stuff: "Act" in that law clearly refers to the "wilful act of fielder" in the earlier section. It's there to include things like "overthrows" from someone kicking or deflecting it rather than a blanket "When something happens!" term. Should have been 5, but as the point of interest happened after the second run was completed I see how the umpires got that wrong. Re referring: they don't use the third umpire to poke them about 7+ ball overs and that's a much more important, and common, problem.

A rule applying exclusively to super overs is not about super overs? More generally, as mentioned, wickets is not a relevant metric in One Day Internationals. The cost of being bowled out and losing wickets is in dot balls and in having your less competent batsmen facing, not risking losing the game. You can lose the game without losing any wickets (although this hasn't happened yet; the fewest number of wickets a losing side has lost for a completed 50 over innings has been 2 (two occasions: Pakistan in 1992, South Africa in January of this year), and 3 for a 60 over game (Gaviskar's famous go-slow in the seventies)).

It's included in the score because that's what a cricket score looks like rather than because it's particularly useful info. On many occasions this world cup I've turned on TMS, heard the score and then gone to cricinfo to see how many overs are left because that's much more important than wickets lost to know how a team are doing.

"Boundaries hit" isn't an especially good metric either here either, as clearly the main benefit of hitting boundaries is the runs, but at the very least it doesn't encourage negative play so it's very narrowly superior to either comparing extras or wickets.

Plenty of sports don't have good tie breakers. Cricket is one of them, but has at least lots of numbers you can arbitrarily look at rather than forcing a full replay like you do in, eg, rowing when you don't have a finish camera.

I'm an official for British Rowing (name in the rule book, etc) and this kind of stuff is functionally impossibly to decide fairly because you're looking at an edge case of an edge case and the chance of everything else being "nice" is pretty low so you go with the one that encourages the most attacking play.

The only smug posting has been by Aussies tbh, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (Side note: I was in the TV coverage, including the BBC highlights, of the Eng/NZ group game wearing my NZ top. I like when NZ win things, although not as much as actual Kiwis do, obvs)

Sorry: Rowing derail

In this day and age, would it not be super easy to get a camera set up on the finish line to determine a winner?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry: Rowing derail

In this day and age, would it not be super easy to get a camera set up on the finish line to determine a winner?

You get them at big multilane regattas on lakes but generally not at smaller or river based ones. There's a few reasons for this.

1. You cannot guarantee you have the necessary equipment at the finish line to run it (eg, power! Regattas go where the water is, which may well be in the middle of loving nowhere. At Talkin Tarn Regatta you don't even get phone signal)

2. Lining up the crews is typically done by eye. The margin of error for this needs to be smaller than the margin of victory to be a fair race.

3. On any course that's not a specially built lake (and especially on river courses with bends and stream) even if the boats appear completely level at the start the margin of error in placing the stakeboats is going to be larger than the margin of victory.

It's fine to use high speed cameras at the Olympics because they have start gates which means that all the boats start in basically the same place. It's less fair at Henley Royal but then again a couple of years ago Rankov disqualified a crew because one of the people sat in the launch waved his arms a bit so they're always going to be a bit rogue.

[edit]

Oh, and 4. Most umpires are post-retirement age and good luck getting them working the tech. It's hard enough to get people to understand how to use the radios and that's literally just pressing a button.

[edit2]

5. Who's going to pay for it?

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 15, 2019

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Saul Goode posted:

I wasn't talking about super overs, I was trying to demonstrate how the ICC values system places more worth on a completely worthless metric than an actual measurable statistic that is already used in the game to determine how good or bad a team is. It doesn't matter though, it's done now. The better team of the tournament and the last four years won. Just don't be a bunch of smug cunts about it because you were lucky as poo poo to scrape out of that one you jammy gits.

Don't worry, we are going to go into the Ashes smug as anything and get utterly humiliated as is our way. When things are looking good we will do everything we can to gently caress it up as many ways as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jimmy's broken, we still don't have any openers so people are talking about bringing an injured Roy in for his test debut in the Ashes, Moeen's confidence is in the toilet, in general things aren't looking too hot for the Ashes