Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

I sharpen everything myself

Fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just wait for the afilador to come around.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Scissors are the easiest thing to sharpen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My oven's temperature setting is apparently(/probably) not very accurate, and I was wondering:is it worth trying to fix/calibrate it, or should I just skip to getting an oven thermometer? I was planning on getting a probe thermometer sometime anyway.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Pollyanna posted:

My oven's temperature setting is apparently(/probably) not very accurate, and I was wondering:is it worth trying to fix/calibrate it, or should I just skip to getting an oven thermometer? I was planning on getting a probe thermometer sometime anyway.

i have an old af electric oven with a temp knob. oven thermometers cost less than $10 and can live in yr oven, and if yr fancy and got a window you can check the temp without opening the door. get one anyway.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Pollyanna posted:

You could get a pizza stone to help evenly distribute the heat.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mraagvpeine posted:

You could get a pizza stone to help evenly distribute the heat.

bricks do the same thing for less money but yeah

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So I like the ritual of grinding stuff by hand (and, let's be honest, I need any additional exercise I can get), so I want to get a nice, good-sized Thai granite mortar and pestle to use at home, for grinding up spice mixes and dried chiles, making curry pastes, etc. What is my best bet for finding a quality one that doesn't suck? Should I just go to the Thai supermarket and take a chance on one there? I'm in Chicago, so there's a goodly-sized Thai community here.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Oven thermometers are great, I found my oven was off by like 20 degrees. But forgetting the calibration, it let me realize that my oven takes WAY longer to preheat than expected. I would set it for 350, but it would only be around 275 when the buzzer went off.

I have this one, it's <$7. https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Class...8-1-spons&psc=1

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Keret posted:

So I like the ritual of grinding stuff by hand (and, let's be honest, I need any additional exercise I can get), so I want to get a nice, good-sized Thai granite mortar and pestle to use at home, for grinding up spice mixes and dried chiles, making curry pastes, etc. What is my best bet for finding a quality one that doesn't suck? Should I just go to the Thai supermarket and take a chance on one there? I'm in Chicago, so there's a goodly-sized Thai community here.

The one that Kenji likes is not in stock and may or may not restock on Amazon, but I have one and I really like it. I guess if it becomes available, go for that, it's a steal at $60.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sportman posted:

Oven thermometers are great, I found my oven was off by like 20 degrees. But forgetting the calibration, it let me realize that my oven takes WAY longer to preheat than expected. I would set it for 350, but it would only be around 275 when the buzzer went off.

I have this one, it's <$7. https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Class...8-1-spons&psc=1

I feel like this is extremely common, every oven I’ve ever used has beeped well before the thermometer indicates it’s at temp.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

I feel like this is extremely common, every oven I’ve ever used has beeped well before the thermometer indicates it’s at temp.

I'm sure it is, I just never thought about it before. I assumed if it beeped it was ready. The thermometer just lives in my oven now, so I can make sure its up to temp.

On the plus side, it took like 30 seconds to calibrate my oven, and it's stayed accurate for over a year.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've decided my father needs a rice cooker for his birthday as he cooks way more rice than the average 66yr old white man and always complains about how bad at it he is, despite having done it for 40 years. At least twice a week he cooks of some sort of rice-brown rice, white rice, and yellow rice regularly, and occasionally jasmine or some other sort of fancy rice . He doesn't need it to keep rice warm all day or anything like that, just cook rice easier and better than stovetop/microwave and go in the dishwasher. I know Zojirushi is the thing to get, but there are a million of them and I am overwhelmed. I don't think he would ever make more than 8-10 cups of cooked rice at a time.

What rice cooker does he need?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Keret posted:

... I want to get a nice, good-sized Thai granite mortar and pestle to use at home, for grinding up spice mixes and dried chiles, making curry pastes, etc.

Something to think about, granite is porous and difficult to clean and will take on the flavor/smell of the last spice you ground. You can "season" it which supposedly prevents that but I never had much luck with that and don't use mine for spices anymore. I once ground something particularly pungent and had to scrub with a brush for about an hour to get the smell out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

wormil posted:

Something to think about, granite is porous and difficult to clean and will take on the flavor/smell of the last spice you ground. You can "season" it which supposedly prevents that but I never had much luck with that and don't use mine for spices anymore. I once ground something particularly pungent and had to scrub with a brush for about an hour to get the smell out.

We got a pretty nice stainless steel motar and pestle from an Indian store they had all different kinds and sizes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've decided my father needs a rice cooker for his birthday as he cooks way more rice than the average 66yr old white man and always complains about how bad at it he is, despite having done it for 40 years. At least twice a week he cooks of some sort of rice-brown rice, white rice, and yellow rice regularly, and occasionally jasmine or some other sort of fancy rice . He doesn't need it to keep rice warm all day or anything like that, just cook rice easier and better than stovetop/microwave and go in the dishwasher. I know Zojirushi is the thing to get, but there are a million of them and I am overwhelmed. I don't think he would ever make more than 8-10 cups of cooked rice at a time.

What rice cooker does he need?

8-10 cups of rice is an absurd amount of rice for one person, but if that’s what he eats, go with this one: Zojirushi NS-TSC18 Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer - 1.8 Liters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W22KF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oY.iDb41NK37B

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

If you don’t want to get him something fancy, or he doesn’t need the additional features (which he might if he makes a lot of non-white rice) then I’m confident this would be fine as well: Zojirushi NHS-18 10-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S577/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LZ.iDb32KHC4V

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

8-10 cups of rice is an absurd amount of rice for one person, but if that’s what he eats, go with this one: Zojirushi NS-TSC18 Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer - 1.8 Liters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W22KF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oY.iDb41NK37B

please don't be judgmental, eating 64-80 servings of rice per week is completely normal

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use the 3 cup zojirushi and it's fantastic. A lot smaller than the larger ones and I'll never make more than 3 cups of rice at a time.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I have a Tiger Micom rice cooker and it's been rock solid, so I guess keep in mind that Zoji isn't the only option in the space

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

I have a Tiger Micom rice cooker and it's been rock solid, so I guess keep in mind that Zoji isn't the only option in the space

Yeah I should add that the actual quality of the rice made by my zoji vs the old black and decker cooker is very very similar. You're paying for the rice to be perfectly evenly cooked throughout the bowl, not burnt anywhere or cooked onto the bottom of the cooking bowl, the ability to easily cook different types of rice (or oatmeal or porridge or congee), the digital interface, and for the song when it's done lets be real. It's also just the pleasure of interacting with a well designed piece of hardware. The nonstick stuff in the zoji bowl looks like it'll never flake off or whatnot and the gradations for water level are etched into the side in a very contrasty visible way.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

VelociBacon posted:

I use the 3 cup zojirushi and it's fantastic. A lot smaller than the larger ones and I'll never make more than 3 cups of rice at a time.

I also have a 3-cup and it's the most used appliance in the kitchen outside of the toaster oven and fridge. 8-10 cooked is quite a bit. We keep a 10-cup cheapo $20 unit in the garage for making huge amounts if we ever have that many guests and we need *so much rice*.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I make 2 cups (4 cups cooked) for 4 people and we always have 1-2 cups leftover. But rice keeps well so maybe he makes a bunch at once and just chips away at it.

Also rice is not really hard to make well, it's only a matter of learning. Two videos made a big difference for me, one was the Test Kitchen guy that does the What's eating Dan? He talked about water ratios. And some Persian dude with very colorful everything that showed cooking the rice for 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to steam for 15. There are other ways like boiling but the above works for me and makes perfect rice everytime.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I've had the 5.5c version of this for years and it's been great

I also don't think I've ever in my life made more than like, 4c of rice at home at once, including having a dozen people over for ssäm

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for all the advice! I may have overestimated how much rice he actually cooks, but he does like leftovers and sometimes cooks for a crowd.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sportman posted:

Thanks for this link. I had been struggling with my new oven and had no idea you could calibrate them so easily. Mine was off 20 degrees as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good flip top bottles? too many choices

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS...XQ5A9CBP50T1KXQ

Prime Day deal, one of the most popular thread rice cookers is on a very good sale.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Good flip top bottles? too many choices

Currently using the IKEA ones. One interesting feature i discovered is that if you’re bottle carbonating they’ll allow pressure to escape rather than exploding.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Currently using the IKEA ones. One interesting feature i discovered is that if you’re bottle carbonating they’ll allow pressure to escape rather than exploding.

that sounds super nice since I"ll be these for kombucha but the closest ikea is hours away

anyone ever deal with this vendor? https://www.midwestsupplies.com/16-oz-ez-cap-clear-glass-beer-bottles

Seems safer than playing amazon seller roulette

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vitamix 5200 Professional Series blender on sale for $280 for Prime Day. That’s $170 off normal price.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-Blen...ps%2C161&sr=1-6

I just bought one and I’m hoping that wasn’t a stupid decision.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it was; you can never use a bad blender again

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You also crossed a picket line by shopping Amazon today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sextro posted:

You also crossed a picket line by shopping Amazon today.

I... I didn’t know that. Sorry, I guess?

Also Thermoworks has Thermapen Mk4s on sale for 25% off which puts them at $75 which is pretty good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

I... I didn’t know that. Sorry, I guess?

Also Thermoworks has Thermapen Mk4s on sale for 25% off which puts them at $75 which is pretty good.

It's also tomorrow, just as an fyi. Really though the $180 Vitamix returb is brilliant. I snapped one up 2 years ago when they were selling them direct at the same price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s 2019. Does anyone make a microwave hood vent that doesn’t suck?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

hang on i had smtg for this

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Any hood that doesn't vent directly outside is garbage

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ogarza posted:

Any hood that doesn't vent directly outside is garbage

plenty of microwave hoods can be made to vent outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH