Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s a show about a Jughead who fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s a show about a Jughead who fucks

Heresy! Jughead would never step out on burgers!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Heresy! Jughead would never step out on burgers!

Don't worry.

https://i.imgur.com/Jhs20bu.gifv

e: But also.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 14, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no riverdale is what happens when dougie jones starts a white water rafting company

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Riverdale is an odd show. I am not sure if I'd ever recommend it. It tries hard to be camp, and it can be fun when it is at its most ridiculous. However, to fill, 22 episodes in a season, it spins it wheels a bit. Like, this season, they had this storyline with Betty that just kept going and going and going.

Archie is also ripped, and has to be shirtless every episode. Jughead also fucks. He loves loving more than hamburgers. These are not bad things.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

david_a posted:

So exactly what type of show is Riverdale? I thought it was a CW teen melodrama but then I hear it’s got some Twin Peaks elements and now this stuff. Are there supernatural shenanigans? Do a lot of people get killed?
There's always a central mystery to the show, so a lot of horror elements come up and there is a great deal of death. Season 2, in particular, is a long form slasher film.

The show itself is best described like those times when Mickey Mouse or Kermit the Frog play another character. It's like the characters from Archie comics made a CW show. So, there is the usual melodrama you would expect, but the characters are still the goofy characters from the comics on a fundamental level. It all comes together when you get scenes where Veronica calls the gang together to come up with a scheme to help out Archie and it feels very much like the comics, but because it's a CW drama, helping Archie means breaking him out of prison after he was framed for murder and then forced to take part in an underground fight club.

But the show really knows what it's doing, and it's setting you up to laugh at it while keeping a completely straight face and maintaining engaging mysteries. It also looks really good.

It always has a noir feel, but the last two seasons have played with genre. Last season was all about playing with superhero tropes and the last season was all about fantasy tropes. But the biggest thing is that they play up the cliches and tropes to insane degrees. For example, if there are biker gangs, they are the most biker gang and taken to such an insane extreme that the show eventually reveals them to be an actual ethnicity. When the show has a prison, it is literally Shawshank.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's always a central mystery to the show, so a lot of horror elements come up and there is a great deal of death. Season 2, in particular, is a long form slasher film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbkJCQwuhs

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This all makes me want to go back to watching the show but the amount of filler was too much by episode 6 of season 1.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

married but discreet posted:

This all makes me want to go back to watching the show but the amount of filler was too much by episode 6 of season 1.

the last few episodes of season 1 are probably the show at its best, though: just pure sugar-rush soap-opera insanity

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Riverdale is just Vampire Diaries without the vampires. (I plead to fifth to answer how I know that.)

Eh, it's a lot better than Vampire Diaries.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

I'm going to watch Rampant tonight. Kinda stoked.

This movie has been disappointing so far. :rip:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching Opera at last, and while I always thought the spikes taped under the eyes makes for an awesome visual it never looked like it would cause any harm. Had to laugh out loud when she visibly blinks without any damage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nevermind Riverdale, is Chilling Adventures of Sabrina any good? I heard good things, and the idea of Sabrina the Teenage Witch But She's Like an Actual Evil Scary Satanist Witch is pretty funny.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

King Vidiot posted:

Nevermind Riverdale, is Chilling Adventures of Sabrina any good? I heard good things, and the idea of Sabrina the Teenage Witch But She's Like an Actual Evil Scary Satanist Witch is pretty funny.

It's soapy and earnest but also real real good

First season is a bit more grounded and you need to be willing to step back a bit and look at characters objectively instead of how they see themselves

Second season starts to get bonkers and is a lot of fun

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Sabrina is loving awful in a lot of ways. One, it assumes the person watching it is the dumbest motherfucker alive with how often they repeat/re-establish basic facts about the world. Two, there's so much tonal whiplash because it's trying to be the breezy teen romance show and do Big Bad Satan all the time. Like the big moment at the end of season one is "what do I do, there's been a mining accident that's killed half the town including my boyfriend's brother?" but also it's goofy Hogwart's poo poo and also everything is the dumbest version of Satanism, like Satanism as conceived by Bizarro. (instead of "oh my god" characters say "oh my satan" when they get a giant banana split at the soda hop)

Taika Waititi has a tiny role in two or three episodes and is a lot of fun though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sabrina is hindered from jump street by Kiernan Shipka's really stilted acting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Taika Waititi has a tiny role in two or three episodes and is a lot of fun though.

the What We Do In The Shadows tv show is a really great time too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what r u guys talking about sabrinas a great show my fav episode is when the violent femmes were guest stars

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I never got a straight answer, but does Salem speak and is he voiced by Salem?

Even if you don't want to spoil, just let me know if I would be setting myself up for disappointment.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

alf_pogs posted:

the What We Do In The Shadows tv show is a really great time too

Everyone should be watching What We Do In The Shadows, it's just as good as the movie which I didn't think was possible and yet it is.

Riverdale is what you get when you mix a teen melodrama with a B rated horror movie and then dip it in a vat film noir for some reason, I think it's pretty fun but it does have some pacing problems.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm a grown rear end old man and I still want to live in Edward Furlong's tricked out attic room from Brainscan.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Shrecknet posted:

Sabrina is loving awful in a lot of ways. One, it assumes the person watching it is the dumbest motherfucker alive with how often they repeat/re-establish basic facts about the world. Two, there's so much tonal whiplash because it's trying to be the breezy teen romance show and do Big Bad Satan all the time. Like the big moment at the end of season one is "what do I do, there's been a mining accident that's killed half the town including my boyfriend's brother?" but also it's goofy Hogwart's poo poo and also everything is the dumbest version of Satanism, like Satanism as conceived by Bizarro. (instead of "oh my god" characters say "oh my satan" when they get a giant banana split at the soda hop)

I thought it was okay for what it is. I think they're cribbing from the horror revamp Sabrina comic. I haven't read much of it but it's an okay palate cleanser.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Everyone should be watching What We Do In The Shadows, it's just as good as the movie which I didn't think was possible and yet it is.

Riverdale is what you get when you mix a teen melodrama with a B rated horror movie and then dip it in a vat film noir for some reason, I think it's pretty fun but it does have some pacing problems.

What We Do In The Shadows is the best. I still chuckle at the duel with the werewolves. I haven't watch any of Riverdale yet since it looked like something I'd expect to follow Dawson's Creek on the WB. I do enjoy the Afterlife with Archie comic and if it was something in the neighborhood of that, I might give it a try.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M_Sinistrari posted:

I haven't watch any of Riverdale yet since it looked like something I'd expect to follow Dawson's Creek on the WB. I do enjoy the Afterlife with Archie comic and if it was something in the neighborhood of that, I might give it a try.

Season 3 of Riverdale involved an evil Dungeons and Dragons game (it sounds stupid, but in reality the whole thing is even dumber than you think), multiple serial killers, a group of Satanic nuns, an illegal prison fight club, and a new age cult that turned out to be harvesting human organs.

I don't want to talk it up too much, but yeah it's a bit weirder than Dawson's Creek. Which I know a lot of people who like things like Dawson's Creek don't always enjoy about Riverdale, and I can understand that. If you go into a show hoping for it to be about just teenage melodrama and instead you keep getting hit with weird bullshit like Jughead leading a biker gang and Archie fighting a bear (spoiler: you don't actually get to see him fight the bear though, that takes place off screen. Most of that episode was just him having blood loss induced hallucinations as he slowly died from his wounds after the attack) I get why you might be disappointed. However, if you enjoy crazy poo poo like that than there's nothing else quite like Riverdale for better or worse.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 15, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Shrecknet posted:

Sabrina is dumb but fun. I actually really love how goofy the satanism in their world is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm posting about it in the proper thread, but Midsommar was excellent. It's in the top 5 of the year for me, so far.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

teagone posted:

I'm going to watch Rampant tonight. Kinda stoked.

If you want to see zombies in Korea during the Joseon period, where the King was bitten, a crown prince tries to stop the outbreak while an evil Prime Minister tries to use it for his own political gain watch Kingdom, the TV series.
I couldn't believe there was a movie and a series about something so specific released at the same time, so at first I though it was just an international naming thing.

Either way, the series was better. No half-zombie swordfights and they do some cool stuff with how the zombies act during daylight.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

BioTech posted:

If you want to see zombies in Korea during the Joseon period, where the King was bitten, a crown prince tries to stop the outbreak while an evil Prime Minister tries to use it for his own political gain watch Kingdom, the TV series.
I couldn't believe there was a movie and a series about something so specific released at the same time, so at first I though it was just an international naming thing.

Either way, the series was better. No half-zombie swordfights and they do some cool stuff with how the zombies act during daylight.

If you would like to see pretty hats you should also watch this.

Jokes aside, the wardrobing for Kingdom was some of the best I’ve seen this year. Absolutely stellar effort.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BioTech posted:

Cool thanks, I'l check it out. I was pretty excited to watch Rampant and wholly let down with how boring it was. Don't know how you gently caress up a period piece with zombies. I even liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kingdom is genuinely funny (in that very distinctly Korean horror way that doesn't really care what horrifyingly gross stuff just happened before or afterwards) and the costuming is fantastic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I will absolutely watch something for hats. Also wallpaper. Also doors. I love a nice, expensive looking door.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I'm posting about it in the proper thread, but Midsommar was excellent. It's in the top 5 of the year for me, so far.

:same:

at the moment it's my #3 behind Knife+Heart and Climax but they'll all real close

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

:same:

at the moment it's my #3 behind Knife+Heart and Climax but they'll all real close

Didn't know anything about Climax(it's a Gasper Noe apparently), but when I looked it up I found out it's a 99 cent rental on Amazon right now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I still need to check these out. I missed Climax in theaters, sadly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How's Climax compared to Love? I found that to be pretty tedious and easily Noe's worst.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Didn't know anything about Climax(it's a Gasper Noe apparently), but when I looked it up I found out it's a 99 cent rental on Amazon right now.

I definitely recommend checking it out for that price. I think it's probably not for everyone, and in the first half there are a couple really long scenes that are nothing but the characters dancing (which I thought were great but I can see people getting bored with), but the whole thing is sort of hypnotic and it gets real hosed up. There are several really long takes, one of which is like 20 minutes long. I'm not sure what to compare it to but there are elements of Suspiria, Eraserhead, and Saló. I loved it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I definitely recommend checking it out for that price. I think it's probably not for everyone, and in the first half there are a couple really long scenes that are nothing but the characters dancing (which I thought were great but, but the whole thing is sort of hypnotic and it gets real hosed up. There are several really long takes, one of which is like 20 minutes long. I'm not sure what to compare it to but there are elements of Suspiria, Eraserhead, and Saló. I loved it.

While I haven't seen it, to elaborate on the dancing (for others, not you):

They're all professional dancers first and actors second. Some of the dancing is elaborately choreographed, but a lot of it is improvised dancing from professionals. Noe intended the dancing as a major part of the film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
yeah they are all really good and the dance scenes are awesome, it just doesn't really turn into a horror movie until the second half so I could see people not digging it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i was p dissapointed by climax and im a bog noe fan. It didnt really go anywhere or do anything with the hallucinogenic stuff.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

im a bog noe fan.

Like a swamp hag/thing or like Irish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I loved the dancing and the second half. The almost none stop music made it a good movie to see in theaters.