Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggC6kfJJE_w

GmanLives looks at Oni, the game Bungie made right before they became a Halo factory. Oni's one of the games I really wish got a proper sequel. It played really well, even if the level design was kinda mediocre.

Holy poo poo, I finally found out what game I was thinking Morrowind was before I got it with a video card. For the longest time I wondered what game I had a mental screenshot of "this is Morrowind" actually came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBSzWmjXO0

some lady debunks those fake food warning videos

this is definitely not me shilling another cake youtuber

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tired Moritz posted:

That fake food thing got debunked faster than anything I've ever seen on twitter. Specifically the part about the rice

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I would try that frankensteak, hands down.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linkara just finished up his 3-part (really 6-part since he split each part in two because The Algorithm prefers he keep his videos under 30 minutes) retrospective of Cassandra Cain (who was Batgirl in the mid-00s) and its really one of his better series of videos since he's focusing on a character he actually cares about instead of just slagging off another terrible 90s comic nobody remembers. You can find part one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T6Oft-uQek

And if you don't want to watch the whole thing, watch just this 4-minute bit from the the start of the last part (which covers some stories where Cassandra was extremely mischaracterized by writers who were unfamiliar with her, much to the chagrin of her fans) where he talks about how fan communities and creators interact in the modern Internet age (including his own (shameful) past with respect to that):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sev6zXX5z-Y

EDIT:
Also, Defunctland posted the final video in their Jim Henson/Muppets series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfsynRHZK0

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Huh.

I might have to watch that cass Cain video series. She's kind of the reason I both got into and out of comics. She was a character who is highly relatable if you have autism that prevents you from functioning like a normal person, or a lovely isolated childhood, or both. Which meant that most writers could not understand her and eventually just changed her to something boring and unoriginal, and made me realize multiple writers using the same characters can be very dangerous without a good editor.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr.Radar posted:

Linkara just finished up his 3-part (really 6-part since he split each part in two because The Algorithm prefers he keep his videos under 30 minutes) retrospective of Cassandra Cain (who was Batgirl in the mid-00s) and its really one of his better series of videos since he's focusing on a character he actually cares about instead of just slagging off another terrible 90s comic nobody remembers. You can find part one here:
(snip)
And if you don't want to watch the whole thing, watch just this 4-minute bit from the the start of the last part (which covers some stories where Cassandra was extremely mischaracterized by writers who were unfamiliar with her, much to the chagrin of her fans) where he talks about how fan communities and creators interact in the modern Internet age (including his own (shameful) past with respect to that):
(snip)

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Huh.

I might have to watch that cass Cain video series. She's kind of the reason I both got into and out of comics. She was a character who is highly relatable if you have autism that prevents you from functioning like a normal person, or a lovely isolated childhood, or both. Which meant that most writers could not understand her and eventually just changed her to something boring and unoriginal, and made me realize multiple writers using the same characters can be very dangerous without a good editor.
Yeah, while maybe Linkara's regular reviews aren't everyone's cup of tea, these deep dives of his are always worthwhile.

One thing he kind of glossed over, although he might be saving this particular detail for the Stephanie Brown retrospective: it wasn't necessarily going to be Steph that Cass handed off the Batgirl identity to. DC Editorial had initially wanted Misfit, a character that Gail Simone had created for Birds of Prey as an overenthusiatic Batgirl-wannabe. It took Simone herselflobbying them to not make her Batgirl that finally forced them to settle on Steph. So editorial clearly wanted Cass to not be Batgirl anymore. The fact that Misfit would have been a dead ringer for young Babs had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

But Steph's series was great, so something good came of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
despite being a couple generations past mine(I was OG game boy, hers was GBA), I can totally relate to this new Jaiden Animations of her reliving the random crap games her parents probably got at the clearance bin at Caldor or Bradley's or AMES's(before Walmart engulfed everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPy-4lY2qM&hd=1

it's how I wound up with random-rear end GB games like Kwirk or WORDZAP(both weird, both good, kwirk less so) or Dino Riki on the NES(not good) or Golgo 13(inscrutable but I couldn't stop playing)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone else remember the James Bond gameboy game?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

One thing he kind of glossed over, although he might be saving this particular detail for the Stephanie Brown retrospective: it wasn't necessarily going to be Steph that Cass handed off the Batgirl identity to. DC Editorial had initially wanted Misfit, a character that Gail Simone had created for Birds of Prey as an overenthusiatic Batgirl-wannabe. It took Simone herselflobbying them to not make her Batgirl that finally forced them to settle on Steph. So editorial clearly wanted Cass to not be Batgirl anymore. The fact that Misfit would have been a dead ringer for young Babs had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Which is before they decided that having a Batgirl period who wasn't Babs would just 'confuse' readers or something. Then decided that giving Cassandra the Black Bat identity and having Steph be Spoiler again would also be terrible and wished sent into another dimension. (I, perhaps rashly, blame Dan DiDio.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Did Cassie ever meet with Richard Dragon?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
additionally, for your consideration:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

EDIT:
Also, Defunctland posted the final video in their Jim Henson/Muppets series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfsynRHZK0

I almost cried a few times. Kevin did a really good job with this series.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Rich and Mike have predictions for the next Star Wars film.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Huh.

Same here and she remains probably my favorite Bargirl and Batcharacter in general. Too bad that years of retcons and reboots basically destroyed the basis of her actual backstory and I am not too fond of the Orhan incarnation :/

edit: and wow, he even mentions Casstoons, those where like a huge thing for me back in day

e X fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 15, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I agree with pretty much everything they said in that video barring some stuff about The Last Jedi; which isn’t as bad as permamad nerds think it is; but largely I couldn’t bring myself to care about any of it.

I just want Star Wars to be loving done already. Please, god, let it end.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

No.1 Special posted:

I almost cried a few times. Kevin did a really good job with this series.

I outright cried a few times. And then a few more times thinking about Jim Henson afterwards.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

I agree with pretty much everything they said in that video barring some stuff about The Last Jedi; which isn’t as bad as permamad nerds think it is; but largely I couldn’t bring myself to care about any of it.

Star Wars will end approximately 3 movies after they stop being massive money-makers. And then start again in a few years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

if i remember reading. after this one, they are putting it on break for a year or so. let D&D gently caress it up/make it good/whatever after that.

i am more interested in the respawn game honestly.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 15, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if i remember reading. after this one, they are putting it on break for a year or so. let D&D gently caress it up/make it good/whatever after that.

i am more interested in the respawn game honestly.

I lost interest in that the second Respawn said they made the protagonist a white dude because angry man babies hate Rey. Which sucks because Cameron Monaghan is a fantastic actor and I’m happy he’s appearing in more big name stuff, but still.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

I lost interest in that the second Respawn said they made the protagonist a white dude because angry man babies hate Rey. Which sucks because Cameron Monaghan is a fantastic actor and I’m happy he’s appearing in more big name stuff, but still.

thats a fair opinion and i get it but i am still excited. i hope he is at least interesting. i am also looking forward to rise of skywalker but i just need that jedi gameplay kick. also i liked the battlefront 2 campaign so yeah.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 15, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Which is before they decided that having a Batgirl period who wasn't Babs would just 'confuse' readers or something. Then decided that giving Cassandra the Black Bat identity and having Steph be Spoiler again would also be terrible and wished sent into another dimension. (I, perhaps rashly, blame Dan DiDio.)

If it helps, they've both been quietly slotted back into the Batverse in the past few years, but last time I checked they were still making Cass go by "Orphan", which is possibly the dumbest name possible to throw her under.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

If it helps, they've both been quietly slotted back into the Batverse in the past few years, but last time I checked they were still making Cass go by "Orphan", which is possibly the dumbest name possible to throw her under.

Orphan is a great superhero name, it conveys so much pathos and relatability. What would you prefer, something like Ms. Sensitive?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

dancingbears posted:

I outright cried a few times. And then a few more times thinking about Jim Henson afterwards.
I want to see him do a Mr. Roger's retrospective even though "Won't You Be My Neighbor" did a pretty good job at doing that.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I played it, and got stuck at the baccarat part.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Solitair posted:

I played it, and got stuck at the baccarat part.

We had Nintendo Power.

Also we played it on our super game boy, me and my brother.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T6Oft-uQek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sev6zXX5z-Y

Superdickery...that takes me back. It's a little weird to think I brushed shoulders with Linkara back in the day, as I hung around a bunch of misfits complaining about comics and goofing around. I'm not even a big comics reader myself, but the humor that came out of that community was entertaining even somewhat out of context. Shame it eventually melted down.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That game is both oft-forgotten and awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alaois posted:

Orphan is a great superhero name, it conveys so much pathos and relatability. What would you prefer, something like Ms. Sensitive?

Ironically she inherited it from her father.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's my prediction: it will be a parallel movie to Return of the Jedi, much like The Force Awakens/A New Hope and The Last Jedi/Empire Strikes Back.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that ain't happening. They may pump the breaks every so often but it's not going to permanently stop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

What was interesting to me was apparently it took Scott Snyder's increasing stroke with the success of his Batman run to pull Cass out of limbo. I do wish she'd get a better costume, though. Again, just make her Black Bat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Keep talking about Cassandara, because I know nothing about her because I don't read comics and my exposure to Batman is cartoons and Arkham Asylum games. Stephanie Brown and her never come up as the focus of any of that as far as I'm aware and Barbara is just wheelchair bound forever I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Keep talking about Cassandara, because I know nothing about her because I don't read comics and my exposure to Batman is cartoons and Arkham Asylum games. Stephanie Brown and her never come up as the focus of any of that as far as I'm aware and Barbara is just wheelchair bound forever I guess.

Nah, Barbara's out of the wheelchair because they decided she should be The One True Batgirl again when DC did a big reboot. I'm not even personally sure how it happened.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A podcast I listen to did a reading of Moviebob's book and I don't think I can make it through

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Fabricated posted:

A podcast I listen to did a reading of Moviebob's book and I don't think I can make it through

Which one? I'm always down for people making fun of Bob.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Archer666 posted:

Which one? I'm always down for people making fun of Bob.
Struggle Session. It's a bonus episode on their Patreon but they will give access to their Patreon stuff to anyone who can't afford it, on principle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Struggle Session. It's a bonus episode on their Patreon but they will give access to their Patreon stuff to anyone who can't afford it, on principle.

Really!? How do I get in on that.

I'm on welfare while finishing school btw.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Fabricated posted:

I listened to the episode this morning. God, moviebob is such an insufferable, self-important nerd.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Unless they sent her back to the wheelchair in the past couple years she hasn't been wheelchair bound since the New52 first started. With the kindaReboot she became The One And Only Batgirl and Steph and Cassandra didn't exist until... I wanna say Steph returned and became Spoiler in Batman Eternal?

All this while over the course of 5 years Batman went through all 4 main Robins, fully in their comfiest positions preReboot (except Tim was in a weird place), but Steph as Robin still never happened.

DC weirdly hates their legacy characters, so Cass and Steph were in limbo for a few years, and Wally was eventually remade into a completely separate character before they changed their minds and now there are 2 Wally Wests.

E: also Killing Joke DID happen but Barbara got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I'm torn. I've run into Leslie before and I'm not a big fan on a personal level but I AM a big fan of making fun of Bob Chipman.