Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

i was born a full grown man, hatched from a really big egg. laying it must have completely destroyed my mom's situation, though.

the first True Manchild™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

At first I thought by situation you meant your mom’s like life but then I realized you meant vagina.

Cloaca?

I'll never know. if you happen across a post in RP about a mom who uses her utterly blown out flaps like a sugar glider, could you PM me because that ones probably for me

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I have been playing a drinking game where I take a shot every time one of these people uses the word "enmeshed" and I am now dead. I will see you all in Hell.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 15, 2019

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
thank you for this thread

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I was accused of BEING RUDE but I'm not going to say what I specifically was called out for doing because if I just say "being rude" it makes my accusers look irrational.

This is from the daughter in law of that Sheri woman who wrote that book:

quote:

She told Dan that my mom was rude to her and when he asked how, she said that my mom asked her if she wanted sweet tea, since they were both southern girls, and she told Dan that my mom was looking down on her for being from the South. Which is crazy since my mom is as well. Truth be told my mom was just trying to find some neutral ground with her but I don't think that exists.

wow rude

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is from the daughter in law of that Sheri woman who wrote that book:

wow rude

Did she stick her fingers in her nose when asking?
https://youtu.be/-x068o6Wtw4

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Did she stick her fingers in her nose when asking?
https://youtu.be/-x068o6Wtw4

See, these ungrateful kids should have been under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage - then they’d respect their mom more should they wish for sweet tea.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

teen witch posted:

See, these ungrateful kids should have been under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage - then they’d respect their mom more should they wish for sweet tea.

*Furiously posts an itemized list of things I've bought my child like I'm being audited.*

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

LyonsLions posted:

The stepmother sounds nice, so obviously that means she’s horribly flawed and desperate for attention, because there’s no way someone could just, you know, be a nice person.

"MY kids stepmom says nice things and is actively involved in their lives. Anyone else have this problem?"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

*Furiously posts an itemized list of things I've bought my child like I'm being audited.*

If this fits as a thread title, mods, I give you my blessing, the needful, please

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

ArtIsResistance posted:

This thread has enough projecting to start a planetarium. Y'all need therapy not a forum

We got a therapy subforum, now it's time for fun!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
you mean EN?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm deeply envious of the people who wander into this thread and don't immediately recognize the voice in those estranged parent posts

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

an extremely normal healthy woman posted:

What was the final straw for me, and what brought me here, was not getting a reply to a phone call for over five weeks. I don’t phone very often – hardly at all – mainly for the same reason as the rest of us here – I never know if he’s going to bother to pick up. So, after I called and left a message, I checked my phone every hour, then every couple of hours, then every day for an answer, a text, anything. and I realised that the tension this was producing in me every time I turned the phone over to see if there was a message was making me ill. It was even putting me off using my mobile phone at all, because I couldn’t cope with the constant disappointment.

So, I had a great idea…I got another phone, with a new number, and I transferred all the people I’m in touch with over to the new phone and I left the ES on the old phone (along with a couple of old friends who have also gone AWOL) I felt really guilty for doing this at first and wondered if I was over-reacting but do you know what – it’s been brilliant so far! The ES is literally in a drawer – at first I got the phone out and switched it on once a day, just in case he’d been in touch, now it’s every couple of days and I hope to graduate to once a week or even further apart.

I am enjoying using my phone without all that old anxiety and I feel that I have gained a bit of control over the emotional upset his non-contact causes me. I’m going away with my boyfriend for a couple of days next week and I’ve decided to leave the old phone behind completely so, for once, I’ll be uncontactable from him! (not that he’ll call but you know what I mean – it’s the principle of the thing.)

quote:

After waiting and waiting for an answer to my phone call a couple of months back, I decided to go through all the stuff in the loft that I had been holding on to, just in case he wanted it. It was cathartic! I split stuff into keep, give to charity, throw out and, best pile of all – burn …there is something truly satisfying about burning things and I probably got more pleasure out of setting the incinerator going than I should have 🙂

I’ve still kept plenty of his things but they are now boxed, sealed and labelled and stuck in the furthest corner of the loft, well out of sight and out of mind.

the son is 32 years old, btw

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

THOT PATROL posted:

crazy people :words:

Yes, cleansing with fire is the only way.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I keep a ledger for my son. There WILL be an accounting...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Getting a new phone rather than slightly altering your routine :shrug:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Binged through the thread in a couple sit-downs. Read the issendai posts. Went back and re-read the emails I exchanged with my mom before I cut off contact with her earlier this year. It's extremely hosed up. I am probably a lot more hosed up than I thought. It is crazy how identical she sounds to all this. Like I don't even want to vent in e/n about her actions and behaviors because they are carbon copies of the actions and behaviors described on every page of this thread.

I searched her known usernames on Google to see if she was posting on one of these. Didn't find anything but it did take me to her eBay store where she has every single childhood toy of mine up for sale. Including broken toys from Christmas of '93 at full price. Godspeed, bitch-rear end mom

I don't even know why I'm posting but this was an extreme bummer that probably needs to be addressed by a professional

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People were saying that these estranged parents deliberately make their posts vague though they all seem so collectively deluded you'd think they could be transparent yet still get the same sympathy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LabyaMynora posted:

Facebook will go down as the death of America.

There is a reason why lve been very clear that I have a blanket policy against friending my parents/aunts/uncles on facebook

Nothing good ever comes from it

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

THOT PATROL posted:

the son is 32 years old, btw

wow WOW

like you never counted the days it took someone to return a single phone call and then burned all their poo poo when they didn't call u back!!!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

big cummers ONLY posted:

Binged through the thread in a couple sit-downs. Read the issendai posts. Went back and re-read the emails I exchanged with my mom before I cut off contact with her earlier this year. It's extremely hosed up. I am probably a lot more hosed up than I thought. It is crazy how identical she sounds to all this. Like I don't even want to vent in e/n about her actions and behaviors because they are carbon copies of the actions and behaviors described on every page of this thread.

I searched her known usernames on Google to see if she was posting on one of these. Didn't find anything but it did take me to her eBay store where she has every single childhood toy of mine up for sale. Including broken toys from Christmas of '93 at full price. Godspeed, bitch-rear end mom

I don't even know why I'm posting but this was an extreme bummer that probably needs to be addressed by a professional

Coming to this realization is an important part of the therapeutic process. It's really good that you've gotten to this step, because now it means you can start examining your past and how it may affect your present life in negative ways. This should definitely be done with a professional guiding you, but I think it's great that you've come this far on your own so far.
Best of luck!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Panfilo posted:

People were saying that these estranged parents deliberately make their posts vague though they all seem so collectively deluded you'd think they could be transparent yet still get the same sympathy.

Some evidence points to the idea that they don't actually remember transgressing in any way.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Bobbie Wickham posted:

We got a therapy subforum, now it's time for fun!

Oh word, carry on then

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

don't actually remember transgressing in any way.

yeah well, maybe if they allowed the same excuse for their children

"oh im sorry i really dont recall presents on christmas morning or college tuition so im not sure why it should effect our relationship in the here an now."

disassociating from the fact you deeply traumatized anyone, especially your children, is naked self preservation and a glowing example of how ego will always be the only motivator for these folks

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh man, this is a thread made for me. All of those posts are painfully familiar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Beachcomber posted:

Some evidence points to the idea that they don't actually remember transgressing in any way.

That's possible too I guess.

Hearing other people's stories about their abusive parents really puts into perspective my own parents. I'm fortunate that they were not like these narcissistic parents.

Though I could totally see my mom being like this had things gone differently. My mom went through a divorce with my dad which made her understandably clingy and needy, and when my brother decided to move with my dad it broke her brain. I think she was convinced we would just arbitrarily move away and started to get a little obnoxious about some things, but fortunately she got plenty of therapy along the way and my brother and I gave her plenty of pushback when she was violating boundaries. Which makes me feel that a parent that really cares about having a healthy relationship with their child can and will change.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And there it is...
(This is the person who posted 2000 times)

quote:

Sphinx, I think you hit the nail on the head. But most parents don’t want to admit it or see it. Probably is part of the problem with us loving parents, we ignore our children’s bad behavior or faults. Everyone has them and I don’t want to make others on this forum mad. We loving parents tend to ignore these faults in our children and then they grow up and those same faults bite us in the hind end. I guess I no longer have those rose colored glasses on. Too many hateful things have been done to me or others and its not a happy relationship with any of the EC of mine.

My ED, the meanest one, was always having conflict with friends or boyfriends and tried to manipulate her father into allowing her to break the rules, which he always fell for. (He started the estrangement or encouraged it or whatever you want to say.) My other, nicer, ED just wanted to be babied and have someone else take care of her but with all the fun of an adult. She married early to a guy who is very controlling with her abut who clings to his mommy. The ES (my step son), well he started in puberty to lie and manipulate, do drugs, etc. He also had guys over while we were at work and he left the evidence of their sexual acts and drug use all over his bedroom. He just flat out didn’t care what we saw or how this impacted us. My point is all of this shows a pattern of who they really are. I might not like who they really are and I did my darnedest to be a good mother and help them grow up into mature, emotionally healthy young adults but it didn’t work out that way. People are who they are.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Please elaborate on this, I'm intrigued.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

memory is a big imaginary poolie of malleable poo poo water

when you think abuse is good and right its just another day, its not like remembering the time you knew you were doing the wrong thing

then there are the folks who force themselves to forget, which might sound hard if youve never done it but its (lol) scarily easy once you know how

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

another totally stable lady posted:

Hello, I have two daughters from which I have become estranged.
They became adults and everything changed (I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one this has happened to)
I thought I had overcome the estrangement now that I’ve been divorced for 5 years and have a boyfriend.
I have not seen my oldest daughter (27 years old) for 2 years. Her dad lives a couple of miles from me and she has visited him multiple times. Before this last mother’s day she had contacted me because she said in her text she wanted to celebrate mother’s day with me. I was happy but cautious. She had texted me in february letting me know she was pregnant and due in july. I had bought hundreds of dollars in baby stuff because I knew from her dad she is not in the best financial situation and I do not want the baby to go without the basic things and some other not so basic ones I really liked for the baby to have. The morning of mother’s day she texted me saying her boyfriend had taken her car and she couldn’t see me. I was so devastated it took me hours to stop crying. I told her I would bring the baby stuff to her dad and she could pick them up at his house. I did not want to know anything else. I gave her dad all the things I had bought. Father’s day came around and she texted me from her dad’s house thanking me for the baby things I gave her. That was another knife to the heart.
I am so sad. I feel I lost my daughter and just pray her son who will be born next week, does not steal from her all the moments she will want to share with him in his life.

quote:

As I spent the 4th of July thinking about my daughter having her child (he was due yesterday) I felt I needed peace. Last week my daughter had asked me to see me. She said she was coming to the cities and wanted to meet. I told her I was hurt already so many times I could not expose myself to the same thing again. If if she wanted to see me for coffee she could let me know when she was around and I’d consider it, otherwise, I asked her, not to hurt me again. She said she was sorry and that she did not hurt me on purpose and she wanted my forgiveness. I have heard that before so I am very cautious. At around 8:00pm she texted me saying she was leaving her dad’s house (who lives just 2 miles from me). I thought that by saying that it meant she was coming over. I didn’t get at all excited. I was just surprised. 1 hour later I texted her and told her I thought she wanted to meet and she said that she and her boyfriend had left her dad’s house and werwere on their way back home and didn’t have time to see me.
I have not seen my daughter in almost 3 years and this was the last straw. I cannot say I didn’t cry. I was watching a movie with my boyfriend and hadn’t told him anything about her contacting me. I held his hand tight and started crying. He asked me what was going in and I told him. He said something that made me realize all human beings are not made the same. He read the texts and said “she has no conscience. You don’t do that to a mom like you”
I sent a text to her and her father telling them after 5 years I have fought hard to be happy again and have a man in my life who makes me extremely happy. I also told them I gave up and unless there was an emergency, I would rather they do not call me, text me, email me or show up at my house. My daughter texted me saying she will be induced if the baby doesn’t come by July 9th and I did not respond. That was July 2nd. I am too heartbroken to care right now.
I really thank everyone who replied to my initial post. Your words and support have made me realize I am not the only one and although it is sad that so many of us are going through the same thing, it is comforting to know we have each other to count on for virtual hugs. I appreciate all of you. Thank you.

this is all we’ve got from her so far, I hope we get a lot more backstory on the daughter’s incredible cruelty beyond “not having a car one time” and “being extremely loving pregnant & exhausted”

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can tell they know they are horrible because they protest so much that they are not just passable parents but the most superlative mother anyone could ever have, except for a few understandable mistakes that any human should be forgiven for. Everything in their situation is exceptional, from the sheer horribleness of their particular children, to the injustice of being treated equal or slightly less to their child’s spouse’s parents by...the spouse.

If other people had difficulty raising their children, they were raising the antiChrist. If other women got little support with child rearing by their husbands, their husbands were UNIQUELY absent. These people would absolutely without hesitation award themselves the Nobel with a committee of one and not think a second thought about it. Their protestations that they are humble mean very little when every single reply to someone else’s story is “I just can’t imagine what happened. it must be genetics but not MY genetics.”

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

MasBrillante posted:

And there it is...
(This is the person who posted 2000 times)

In the minds of fellow delusional parents:
A dripping black dildo as big as a man's forearm affixed to a coke dusted mirror with a heroin needle plunged into the frenelum.

Reality:
She searched his trash while he wasn't home every day for a month, turning up a roach and a used condom.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

disassociating from the fact you deeply traumatized anyone, especially your children, is naked self preservation and a glowing example of how ego will always be the only motivator for these folks

My teacher nominated me for a test in third grade, and based on the result, I was recommended for the GT program. (I won't go into the merits of GT. I'm sure related stories from other goons would support their own thread.)

My father refused consent for me to enter the program based on a conspiracy theory that he described to 8yo me as GT being a recruiting tool for the New World Order orchestrated by the NEA. I remember the book he got this idea from. I remember its place on the bookshelf in our living room. I remember the cracks in its spine.

I don't think GT would have turned me into a rich celebrity intellectual with a bigger dick, but I went to a small school in a small town where teachers did not respect a student's privacy. I wound up being heavily stigmatized over it. There was a distinct before and after in how teachers treated me, and the kids picked up on that quick. It also probably delayed my diagnosis for a handful of cognitive and mood disorders by a couple of decades. It was another roadblock to social confidence for a kid who'd watched his mother(a whole different set of problems) walk out less than a year earlier, leaving him with a man she knew to be abusive and manipulative. In her words, she didn't feel strong enough to get both of us away from him.

I've recounted this story in detail to the man, only to have him look me dead in the eye and tell me none of it happened.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clitch posted:

In the minds of fellow delusional parents:
A dripping black dildo as big as a man's forearm affixed to a coke dusted mirror with a heroin needle plunged into the frenelum.

Reality:
She searched his trash while he wasn't home every day for a month, turning up a roach and a used condom.

My teacher nominated me for a test in third grade, and based on the result, I was recommended for the GT program. (I won't go into the merits of GT. I'm sure related stories from other goons would support their own thread.)

My father refused consent for me to enter the program based on a conspiracy theory that he described to 8yo me as GT being a recruiting tool for the New World Order orchestrated by the NEA. I remember the book he got this idea from. I remember its place on the bookshelf in our living room. I remember the cracks in its spine.

I don't think GT would have turned me into a rich celebrity intellectual with a bigger dick, but I went to a small school in a small town where teachers did not respect a student's privacy. I wound up being heavily stigmatized over it. There was a distinct before and after in how teachers treated me, and the kids picked up on that quick. It also probably delayed my diagnosis for a handful of cognitive and mood disorders by a couple of decades. It was another roadblock to social confidence for a kid who'd watched his mother(a whole different set of problems) walk out less than a year earlier, leaving him with a man she knew to be abusive and manipulative. In her words, she didn't feel strong enough to get both of us away from him.

I've recounted this story in detail to the man, only to have him look me dead in the eye and tell me none of it happened.

Oh gently caress. This is like literally where our lives diverged. With me getting help because my parents aren’t dicks.I mean they kind of were but not in this particular way. I’m so so sorry.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LabyaMynora posted:

because it doesn't directly impact them and their feelings, they handwave it away as irrelevant in the same way you've probably forgotten the details of whether or not you ordered a coffee six months ago Friday. If pressed, they will dismiss whatever they're alleged to have done as "not that bad" or "you're just being dramatic" or "well I don't remember that" without any real effort to consider it, because they are Good People and any implication that they could ever have done anything meaningfully wrong except in some "my biggest flaw is I work too hard" kinda way is insane libel to be be dismissed out of hand.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 15, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I feel I should make it clear that we only have sporadic contact with any of the EC. Over the last five years, I have seen the EDs maybe three times (we live a few hours drive away). The ES goes through the extended family to use and abuse them and then comes back to us only when he is mad at everyone else and needs us. We might see them and they behave ugly and that makes me choose to pull away. Or they get mad at us for some BS reason, like the Christmas gift wasn’t of high enough monetary value. Its no win. There are no grandchildren yet. So it varies year to year whether or not we are full on no contact, being ignored, being treated badly or whatever. And I vary my gift giving based on how they act and whether or not they send us birthday or Christmas gifts.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Certainly my conditional and transactional relationships with my children haven't taught them to treat other people transactionally!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

I'm deeply envious of the people who wander into this thread and don't immediately recognize the voice in those estranged parent posts

The secret to deciphering these posts is to pay attention to what they aren't saying, because if what they did painted them in a good light, they would have said it.

Like if one of these parents says "I can't believe my kid estranged me over an email!!" there was some loving crazy poo poo in that email.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 15, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Beekeeping and You posted:

The secret is to pay attention to what they aren't saying, because if what they did painted them in a good light, they would have said it.

Like if one of these parents say "I can't believe they estranged me over an email!!" there was some loving crazy poo poo in that email.

Yep. You can also find patterns with this form of storytelling and people who have committed crimes. For heinous crimes the person will consistently downplay the events, severity, and responsibility. Can't tell you how many times I hear a person end up on the sex offender registry for some benign 'urinating in public' lens. Like it's the only way they could explain why they'd be on the registry without admitting they raped or molested someone. SA has had its share of sex pests, and true to form they either don't believe what they did was wrong, insist that what they did wasn't as bad as what they are accused of, or even feel any goddamn remorse for their actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Beekeeping and You posted:

The secret to deciphering these posts is to pay attention to what they aren't saying, because if what they did painted them in a good light, they would have said it.

Yep. These posts smack of the letter my mom wrote me, where she laid out how I made her a better parent because my actions "made her" struggle so much she had to find out new ways to parent and that I taught her things about herself and communication.

If you believe the letter, I was a hell child. If you knew what she did to me, it was her trying to save face.