Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
1994 on Netflix is a pretty good documentary about what happened during the 1994 Mexican presidential elections.

Anyway Salinas totally did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
*cough*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sxwjRGSWs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

finally got around to watching zoo (the mr hands documentary) and i have no idea how it got so many plaudits at the festivals it was boring as poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

finally got around to watching zoo (the mr hands documentary) and i have no idea how it got so many plaudits at the festivals it was boring as poo poo.

It's almost entirely due to the way it's presented, the story itself is so slight. Compare with Abducted In Plain Sight, which has so much incident it's hard to believe it's less than 2 hrs long.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Sucks about his health though, glad he's still around & can't wait to see this doc :)

Haha

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hey so I made a doc that aired last week. It's about how my home state of New Mexico blew up its own mental healthcare system by falsely accusing a bunch of companies of fraud and shutting them down without due process. It's part poor-man's Errol Morris procedural and part poor-man's Streetwise.

It's called The Shake-Up and NMPBS is streaming it here: https://portal.knme.org/video/the-shake-up-gekpbo/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hey so I made a doc that aired last week. It's about how my home state of New Mexico blew up its own mental healthcare system by falsely accusing a bunch of companies of fraud and shutting them down without due process. It's part poor-man's Errol Morris procedural and part poor-man's Streetwise.

It's called The Shake-Up and NMPBS is streaming it here: https://portal.knme.org/video/the-shake-up-gekpbo/

drat dude, you're killing me, I started watching it and got like 10 minutes in and was like "no, you're at work, you can't watch this now" and had to turn it off. It's REALLY good so far, and I'm interested to see how it all plays out. I got a big Frontline vibe from it.....only missing the awesome Frontline narrator voice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

This is awesome!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hey, thanks! Let me know what you think and feel free to ask questions about whatever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea 6 minutes in and knew I was parked

15 in and out get hit with the familiar phrase "answers to shareholders"

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This was really great. The opening really drew me in and it had a good balance of being informative and inducing both anger and hope.

I have a couple questions:

When did you get the idea to make the doc?

What is the general public opinion on what happened? Do they see it as 'the old providers were maybe doing things the wrong way, so they tried to fix it and failed' or are they more inclined to view at as governmental incompetence?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Kangra posted:

This was really great. The opening really drew me in and it had a good balance of being informative and inducing both anger and hope.

Thanks for watching!

Kangra posted:

When did you get the idea to make the doc?

Back in 2015 it was this perfect storm of wanting to make a film with a social purpose, learning about what happened in NM, and having a couple of colleagues simultaneously say "gently caress it" with me and borrow some equipment to go get started. We all felt like it had legs because of how easy it was to explain to people; it didn't take more than a few sentences for them to be shocked.

Kangra posted:

What is the general public opinion on what happened? Do they see it as 'the old providers were maybe doing things the wrong way, so they tried to fix it and failed' or are they more inclined to view at as governmental incompetence?

Most folks we've talked to, across the political spectrum, are appalled by what happened. Many believe the actions were criminal in nature. Even the less extreme take is that it's the worst thing that happened in Governor Martinez's era.

There's also still a big void in awareness of the issue in the state, which is why we made the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hey, thanks! Let me know what you think and feel free to ask questions about whatever.

It very much had that Errol Morris feel as you say. The editing and such are very on point and the subject hit close to home.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just finished watching Ken Burns vietnam documentary on netflix and I hope i'm not the only one who thinks that was insanely good.

I'm from sweden so maybe I didn't know as much about the war as I thought but the way they tie together stories from all three (and more) sides and just created this very chronographic clusterfuck of a situation was really nice.

Are there more war docs as good as this one is? (I'd love it if there was one focusing more on the NVA.)

Affi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.

Affi posted:

Just finished watching Ken Burns vietnam documentary on netflix and I hope i'm not the only one who thinks that was insanely good.

I'm from sweden so maybe I didn't know as much about the war as I thought but the way they tie together stories from all three (and more) sides and just created this very chronographic clusterfuck of a situation was really nice.

Are there more war docs as good as this one is? (I'd love it if there was one focusing more on the NVA.)

I still need to see that one, but i got a good recommendation for you. The Death of Yugoslavia. It has 6 parts, most of the main culprits and is a in-depth documentary about the balkan wars. It's filmed a couple of years after the war but before the tribunal was founded. It's amazing to see the leaders talk about the events from their perspective (or their spin at least) and knowing how it ends. I believe it's on youtube so you can just stream it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix has a ridiculous documentary on Bob Lazar, Art Bell huckster extraordinaire, that somehow has Mickey Rourke narrating a really terribad script dripping with big time Conspiracy Dread. It's... super entertaining

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just want to say that the Apollo 11 documentary is extremely good. I watched the IMAX version and it really drove home how huge everything was.

I watched it on this huge dome screen in a planetarium where the seating is very steep, so an early shot panning down the rocket made it feel like I was going to tip out of chair.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MrBling posted:

Just want to say that the Apollo 11 documentary is extremely good. I watched the IMAX version and it really drove home how huge everything was.

I watched it on this huge dome screen in a planetarium where the seating is very steep, so an early shot panning down the rocket made it feel like I was going to tip out of chair.

i did the same, its the "first steps" version
yes go do it if you can!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

KoRMaK posted:

yes go do it if you can!

I was a bit annoyed to find out that for whatever reason the IMAX version is 45 minutes compared to 90 minutes for the "real" version. But it just means I get to watch it again.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Definitely watch it at home. I watched it before I went to the ominmax/dome at the science center. One thing that kinda threw me off for a minute though is that it was somewhat blurry, like it wasn't well suited for the medium compared to my home TV. But that was minor compared to the ability to watch the science thing at the science center, in a theater with other people!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The Michelle carter documentary on hbo is loving insane

Ugh I’m so conflicted

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ugh I’m so conflicted
drat what's her username

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shout out to the gumshoe who watched hours and seasons of glee to put the last act narrative together

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I kicked his rear end before, and I would kick his rear end again - the soothing words of a man talking about his dead son.

The documentary did do a pretty good job of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Boston sports fans are the worst, though. Something the world has suspected for a long time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I kicked his rear end before, and I would kick his rear end again - the soothing words of a man talking about his dead son.

The documentary did do a pretty good job of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Boston sports fans are the worst, though. Something the world has suspected for a long time.

I honestly could not believe the dad said that poo poo goddamn

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I feel awkward doing any amount of self-promotion, but here goes. Last year I produced, directed, and edited a documentary that spends a day with a refugee family from Colombia who currently live in North Carolina. This is the first of a series of these, each with different local artists working the camera and creating a score. It played in a few small film festivals and now that we are well in to production on the second one decided it's time to put it out there.

The Chance To Live (11m29s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHATulHlTus&feature=share

This was shot by a photographer from Chapel Hill / Hillsborough, NC, and the music was by Chapel Hill / Mebane musicians from Solar Halos, Horseback, and Mount Moriah.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The Great Hack is out on Netflix, around here in any case and I just saw it.

It's about how Cambridge Analytica used Facebook data and other stuff to influence elections around the world. It was pretty good if a bit sensationally edited.

The one part I don't really like is that they try to get you to sympathize with the woman that "acted" as a whistleblower. Never did it feel like she actually regretted any of the stuff she did. The one thing that stood out is that she was smarter than the other guys and decided to get ahead of the whole clusterfuck by telling.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The Great Hack is out on Netflix, around here in any case and I just saw it.

It's about how Cambridge Analytica used Facebook data and other stuff to influence elections around the world. It was pretty good if a bit sensationally edited.

The one part I don't really like is that they try to get you to sympathize with the woman that "acted" as a whistleblower. Never did it feel like she actually regretted any of the stuff she did. The one thing that stood out is that she was smarter than the other guys and decided to get ahead of the whole clusterfuck by telling.
Documentaries that tell a truly outrageous story well do so in an understated fashion. The high-pitched tenor of outrage this film puts forward is really offputting, even if the material is explosive. You don't need nobodies gasping hamfistedly to Zuck's testimony if you have enough film to wow an audience.

Both of the whistleblowers are peons. The doc itself discredits Chris Wylie after setting him up as a whistleblower. Brittany Kaiser was essentially a sales rep who has some access to videos that are slightly damning, but she can't tell us what really went on. Her revelations that the technology is weapons grade is :rolleyes: because she isn't qualified to make that statement, and essentially makes that clear in her response that she isn't a data scientist. Her internship at the Obama campaign wasn't important enough to include on her LinkedIn, but is somehow the way she figured out all the secrets that CA needed to work with.

There's a lot to the story, and this one strikes me as the filmmaker trying to get there first, before we really have sources who can tell us the part of the story we really ought to hear.
edit: fixed a broken spoiler tag and adding:
The Brexit docudrama from HBO tells us as much substantive information as this documentary does.

Double edit: :rant:
The doc sets up all these really dumb loose ends that make the beginning interesting but the film then peters out into showing us tweets and camera shots of news articles. "I met with this mathematician Paul-Olivier Dehaye..." who is never mentioned again and doesn't matter. It begins this impressive 3D diagram of how Steve Bannon is connected to Cambridge Analytica, and it looks like these fascinating connections are going to be drawn to the deep conspiracy...nope, let's never show that diagram again. Exactly which "hack" is so great here?

bort fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 29, 2019

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

MrBling posted:

Tragically, it's not showing on any big screens near me and so I ended up seeing it in a shoebox-size cinema. Still well worth seeing. Random thoughts:

* I liked that there's no narration or explicit forcing of a story here. The footage is allowed to talk for itself.

* It's wild how much footage they have and how good it is. Given the number of cameras you can see in shot, NASA must have blanketed the event with photographers.

* There's some music but it's effective and not overbearing. The credits note that it only uses instruments that were available at the time of Apollo 11. I think there was some direct inspiration from Public Service Broadcasting, especially during the "Go" sequence.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ugh I’m so conflicted
It's really good, but it's almost straightforward compared to the companion documentary, Behind Closed Doors. That's about the murder of 13 year-old girl Aarushi Talwar outside of Delhi. It has crime scene problems, botched forensics, political intrigue, a truly stupefying media frenzy and goes to the heart of class differences in India. Worth a watch, definitely transports you to urban India, and all sides of the case are represented first-hand.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

yes go do it if you can!

Gonna go see it at the museum on Sunday. Never been there but I've heard it's a huge screen so hopefully it'll be a cool experience.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

precision posted:

Netflix has a ridiculous documentary on Bob Lazar, Art Bell huckster extraordinaire, that somehow has Mickey Rourke narrating a really terribad script dripping with big time Conspiracy Dread. It's... super entertaining

Hopefully one day Lazar comes clean because a documentary about how he made up a story in the 80s that went on to dominate most of his adult life would actually be interesting (much more interesting than the tired story itself).

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't know if this is an appropriate avenue for this, but here goes. I just did a short documentary on a guy by the name of Kazuo Nagano, who was murdered in 1985 Japan by a couple of hired goons looking for revenge because of his business dealings. These weren't yakuza or rival company staff though, they were hitmen acting on behalf of...elderly people. The whole story makes sense in context, and there's some pretty creepy things that were going with this Nagano character, who expressed amongst other things some delusions of grandeur. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=errUJbKZ6fQ

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
No matter how hammy or unfocused The Great Hack was, the undercover video bits alone where worth it. Haven't seen these before.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

InfiniteZero posted:

Hopefully one day Lazar comes clean because a documentary about how he made up a story in the 80s that went on to dominate most of his adult life would actually be interesting (much more interesting than the tired story itself).

I thought it would be entertaining but it was just a really badly produced doc. I got irrationally pissed off that it never loving pressed him on anything and just constantly stroked his loving dick.

Fucker who made the sad sack of poo poo documentary just doesn't ask questions. He loving says "well does it really matter if Bob can't prove where he worked and studied? On one hand we have his word and on the other hand we have no proof whatsoever"

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Netflix will buy anything to pad out the catalog

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

michelle carter got hosed. it's always hilarious how bad the media is at reporting crimes.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

InfiniteZero posted:

The best we'll have until then is Mirage Men https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage_Men which is pretty drat good.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Gonna go see it at the museum on Sunday. Never been there but I've heard it's a huge screen so hopefully it'll be a cool experience.

Definitely worth the watch imo. I never realized how terrifying that whole mission was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there any news about the Church of the Subgenius documentary, in terms of streaming? I know I said we're probably in for a wait based on what happened with some of the other kickstarter docs, but I can always hope

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 4, 2019