Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really!? How do I get in on that.

I'm on welfare while finishing school btw.
Ping Leslie or Jack on Twitter.

Leslieleeiii or jackallisonlol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There's a lot of flak you can throw Tom King's way for good reason but when he wrote a scene where a big bunch of Batman's associates were waiting for him on a rooftop having banter, Cass and Huntress just sat off in the back like "you don't talk much?" "nope" "cool, i like you" instead of being a couplea dorks

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, Barbara's out of the wheelchair because they decided she should be The One True Batgirl again when DC did a big reboot. I'm not even personally sure how it happened.

They retconned it so that after she was paralyzed by the Joker in The Killing Joke, she got a cyber augment in her spine that made her legs work again. It makes sense, guess, in that it was contrived how she couldn't recover before. But it also meant dropping her standalone superhero identity for the one she'd grown past decades ago and eliminating two perfectly serviceable Batgirls that came after.

It'd be like rolling Dick Grayson back to being Robin because that's certainly his most iconic state, but DC was fine leaving all the Robins intact and identical to their pre-reboot selves.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I just want Star Wars to be loving done already. Please, god, let it end.

It was a series who was infamous for its (pre)sequels that was bought up by a company notorious for going "but what happens after happily ever after?" and making 5 sequels to a movie.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It'd be like rolling Dick Grayson back to being Robin because that's certainly his most iconic state, but DC was fine leaving all the Robins intact and identical to their pre-reboot selves.

The fact that New 52 started with Batman already having gone through five or so Robins is the perfect encapsulation of just how half-hearted the reboot was.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

It'd be like rolling Dick Grayson* back to being Robin because that's certainly his most iconic state, but DC was fine leaving all the Robins intact and identical to their pre-reboot selves.

*Ric Grayson

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It was misogyny. Female characters aren't as important so they can freely be erased, but male characters have to be personally disliked by the EiC to disappear (looking at you, Wally West and Barry Allen).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leal posted:

It was a series who was infamous for its (pre)sequels that was bought up by a company notorious for going "but what happens after happily ever after?" and making 5 sequels to a movie.

Are you confusing Disney with DreamWorks here? Even counting Pixar movies, Disney is very careful about what it sequelizes in full movies, especially after all the DTV trash from the late Eisner era. It's fine milking a cash cow when it finds one, particularly for merch, but we're only just now getting a second Frozen for a reason (the reason is merchandise sales falling off.)

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

VanSandman posted:

It was misogyny. Female characters aren't as important so they can freely be erased, but male characters have to be personally disliked by the EiC to disappear (looking at you, Wally West and Barry Allen).

What about Bart?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are you confusing Disney with DreamWorks here? Even counting Pixar movies, Disney is very careful about what it sequelizes in full movies, especially after all the DTV trash from the late Eisner era. It's fine milking a cash cow when it finds one, particularly for merch, but we're only just now getting a second Frozen for a reason (the reason is merchandise sales falling off.)

I mean Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and so on. Didn't feel like those needed sequels.

Also I agree with Mike, we need more Knights of the Old Republic. Exile meets Revan when, Disney?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ahaha. Alpharad, Joe, and a friend play through the entirety of Sonic Forces in about two and a half hours straight, and that's with a loooooot of dying and shenanigans. They are dunking on it or shooting the poo poo almost the entire time and despite skipping almost every cutscene, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzr7qaiImjA&hd=1

god, what a trainwreck of a game. I literally cannot believe this is a product that was made by humans, it is such a mess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

I mean Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and so on. Didn't feel like those needed sequels.

Also I agree with Mike, we need more Knights of the Old Republic. Exile meets Revan when, Disney?

If nothing else a KotOR trilogy would finally wrap up the missing third part of that story that BioWare numb-balled on when they jumped ship to work on Mass Effect and then came back to after the fact with a couple of books no one read and one quest line in the Old Republic MMO that even fewer people played.

Unfortunately it's going to be handled by Dan Weiss and Dave Bennioff, so the Exile's going to go crazy at the sound of an alarm beeping and nuke Coruscant in the final ten minutes of the third movie because she just kind of forgot about the Sith armada :negative:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

If nothing else a KotOR trilogy would finally wrap up the missing third part of that story that BioWare numb-balled on when they jumped ship to work on Mass Effect and then came back to after the fact with a couple of books no one read and one quest line in the Old Republic MMO that even fewer people played.

Unfortunately it's going to be handled by Dan Weiss and Dave Bennioff, so the Exile's going to go crazy at the sound of an alarm beeping and nuke Coruscant in the final ten minutes of the third movie because she just kind of forgot about the Sith armada :negative:

as much as the hosed up the last 2 seasons and various parts, they do adaptions well enough and pretty interesting and good interpretations(for the most part) for the first 4 or so seasons. so i give them some credit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as much as the hosed up the last 2 seasons and various parts, they do adaptions well enough and pretty interesting and good interpretations(for the most part) for the first 4 or so seasons. so i give them some credit.

Yeah, but they're facing the exact same problem as Game of Thrones: they've got three movies to make and only two games to adapt. Whoopsie!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, but they're facing the exact same problem as Game of Thrones: they've got three movies to make and only two games to adapt. Whoopsie!

well they have parts of the MMO too. is it confirmed for old republic era?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"actually this jedi secretly survived!" is one of the dumbest things in star wars. just set your game when jedi were around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well they have parts of the MMO too. is it confirmed for old republic era?

At this point, no. People are conflating a lot of disparate information that seems to be lining up together. LucasFilm has a screenwriter currently writing a Knight of the Old Republic movie, and they have Weiss and Benioff attached to produce and direct their own trilogy of movies. There's been no word if either of these projects are connected as of yet. There's also Rian Johnson's trilogy of Star Wars films which the angry men of Onlineville are desperately trying to convince the world have been cancelled because He Destroyed Star Wars Forever when there's been no indication that that's true so far. So he might be helming the Old Republic films.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

They retconned it so that after she was paralyzed by the Joker in The Killing Joke, she got a cyber augment in her spine that made her legs work again. It makes sense, guess, in that it was contrived how she couldn't recover before. But it also meant dropping her standalone superhero identity for the one she'd grown past decades ago and eliminating two perfectly serviceable Batgirls that came after.

I know Marvel does it too, but that brings up something DC is really bad with when it comes to life-changing technology that only the main characters get because of... reasons. I'm positive Barbara even turned down something very similar to that at one point because it wouldn't have been freely available to everybody (it's also why she doesn't let the Amazon Purple Healing Ray zap her). Tangentially, my favorite (and thus worse) example is when Dick reveals in Judd Winick's Outsiders to Special Guest Star John Walsh that they have a super special technology that lets them pick up specific fingerprints from a frequently touched mall counter that was also touched days ago.

The whole Cassandra Cain Retrospective was really good, but I kinda wish Lewis wouldn't read every line of dialogue of Batman's in that doofy Christian Bale impersonation.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Are there really two separate Star Wars trilogies in pre production right now????

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

watho posted:

Are there really two separate Star Wars trilogies in pre production right now????

:shrug: There were like 5 "A Star Wars Story" movies in pre-production before Solo killed all of them. Star Wars is kind of a mess right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kathleen Kennedy said they were putting Star Wars movies on hold for a while after Episode 9.

By that I mean they will take two years off, during which they will release more Clone Wars episodes and the Mandalorian TV show so you can continue to be inundated with Star Wars until the Game of Star Throne Wars trilogy is ready to come out.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I just don't think Star Wars is as much of a big deal to kids these days, at least in terms of it consuming a large part of their attention and fan identity. It's just another source of content competing with everything else. When I was my son's age my life revolved around reenacting the Battle of Endor but for him he's got Mario, Toy Story, the Marvel universe, Minecraft, etc. on his mind. Even the kids who watched the Clone Wars cartoon in first run, arguably the most popular piece of the pie aside from the movies, are pushing college age now.

The main trilogy movies still make bank but I think most people just go to see a movie because everyone else is, and they move on to the next one a week later. There's no ongoing intrigue or imagination being cultivated.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 15, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think you will find star wars is a huge deal to kids these days - perhaps the biggest - the kids just happen to be aged 30+

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kids like Star Wars. But not as much as Harry Potter or marvel.
The problem is I’m sure their parents are insufferable, dragging them to these movies and just fuming and bitching the whole time how it wasn’t what they wanted or whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To get my science fantasy adventure kicks I'm more excited for Guardians Vol. 3 than I am for Rise of Skywalker.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leal posted:

One of the Cinderella movies is more of a rewrite/recon of the original movie and the Beauty and the Beast one is a midquel, not a sequel, but no they didn't need more films. All three were part of the trash DTV period I mentioned, and Disney seems content to let people forget about them. They realized it's better to repackage comfortable images from your childhood in the live action remakes and embed those same images in new generations of children merchandise-buyers, with the occasional sequel to keep interest going. And Star Wars is nothing if not a big merchandise-making GBS threads machine.

This is all a lot of words to say we live in a world where you can buy the chance dice from The Phantom Menace at a theme park in between slamming blue milks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
E:nvm

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

To get my science fantasy adventure kicks I'm more excited for Guardians Vol. 3 than I am for Rise of Skywalker.

James Gunn is a better director than JJ Abrams

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is all a lot of words to say we live in a world where you can buy the chance dice from The Phantom Menace at a theme park in between slamming blue milks.

Apparently they sold out of the chance cubes.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1149535984322633729

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

:shrug: There were like 5 "A Star Wars Story" movies in pre-production before Solo killed all of them. Star Wars is kind of a mess right now.
Yeah those all got thrown out the window. The only thing we know is definitely happening is the Rian Johnson trilogy which will be the 'main' trilogy, but there is nothing known about it. I'm sure we will hear more at either Comic-Con or D23 in the next couple of months.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

vseslav.botkin posted:

What about Bart?

See: Personally disliked by the EiC.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kathleen Kennedy said they were putting Star Wars movies on hold for a while after Episode 9.

By that I mean they will take two years off, during which they will release more Clone Wars episodes and the Mandalorian TV show so you can continue to be inundated with Star Wars until the Game of Star Throne Wars trilogy is ready to come out.

ehh. i am more ok with that. plus i feel more inundated by marvel and GoT on facebook and online than i do with star war and i like all three. the show looks interesting and the cartoons were alright.

Arcsquad12 posted:

same. though i want to see gunn do a star wars movie someday.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 16, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/BronyCon/status/1150218451098714113

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1150442732915253248

I want this to happen now. I don't know why, I just do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wonder when I'll be excited about a movie again. Closest thing was that I was extremely hyped about recently was Good Omens, and it paid off. Maybe if there's a new Mad Max?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Weren't a big chunk of those Pilots for TV shows that went no where and only released to make SOME money back?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You ever feel the urge to walk down the main street of your local town in broad daylight, grabbing random passerby and screaming "It's a small cube with three red sides and three blue sides!" before they sedate you?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Im kind of curious what Brony con even is at this point. Isn't the Frendship is Magic franchise shutting down production of everything soon?

So much Star Wars junk and I want it all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Im kind of curious what Brony con even is at this point. Isn't the Frendship is Magic franchise shutting down production of everything soon?

So much Star Wars junk and I want it all.

if i remember correctly yeah, its been like 8 or so years so it wouldnt surprise me.

I want all of the in universe statues and busts they are selling.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BigRed0427 posted:

I have no idea, but yeah, the show is on the final season with some sort of movie in a couple years and a G5 series following that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Leal posted:

I'm kinda shocked that Mike knows anything about KotR, he never struck me as someone who was all that into gaming or knew anything at all about video games in general. Maybe Rich clued him into it?