Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZewbOC7fUU

I cannot squeeze this loving release out, oh god help me, I can't write loving lyrics at all.

Time to keep adding tracks and making my life worse.

Not to mention how much Gloryhammer I’m listening to which is affecting what I’m writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Zeal and Ardor are my new favorite. Blackmetal guys come at me.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Zeal and Ardor are my new favorite. Blackmetal guys come at me.

I’m wearing a Z&A shirt right now and I can’t disagree.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Z&A is pretty ok but I lost interest quickly after like 2 listens of each album? Bet it'd be fun live tho

on the topic of weird bands with black metal influence Kayo Dot's next album appears to be a metal one, cautiously optimistic. they're good when they do bm stuff.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
I'm looking for newer DSBM band recommendations. Never delved too deep into the genre beyond Silencer and Burzum.

I tried listening to Ghost Bath and just could not get into it, but I just jammed Damp Chill of Life by NONE which was fantastic and I'm looking for more synthy, dark, sad black metal.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ghost Bath is boring and bad so you've made a good decision

uh I guess Leviathan, Xasthur, and Shining are the ones to try if you haven't listened to em?

I like Bethlehem and Woods of Infinity a lot which I think count as DSBM

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bethlehem is a good rec. if you like them check out Dolorian’s “Voidwards” also, they aren’t black metal really but they do kick rear end. Urfaust might also appeal to you depending on your tolerance for weird vocals, start with “Empty Space Meditation”. If you want a band dedicated to the Burzum side of things, try Paysage d’Hiver. They’re more about trees and snow than killing yourself though, idk if that is sad enough for your liking.

Most stuff identifying as DSBM is just mediocre as hell, but some of it is ok. Try Nyktalgia or Coldworld. Or Elysian Blaze or maybe Midnight Odyssey or something

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Off the top of my head Trist and Thy Light are great dsbm.

Edit: also Suicide and the Rest of Your Kind Will Follow by Dodsferd. One riff, 25 minutes.

deadking fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 16, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I need more atmospheric BM and weird dreamy blackgaze

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Have you listened through Wolves in the Throne Room’s discog? I’ve been revisiting/finally getting fully into them and they’re so good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Mare Cognitum

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Spectral Lore
Arkhtinn
Progenie Terrestre Pura
Xothist
Akhlys
Alrakis
Darkspace
Oranssi Pazuzu
Murmuüre

Also im gonna plug Urfaust and Paysage d’Hiver again

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you listened through Wolves in the Throne Room’s discog? I’ve been revisiting/finally getting fully into them and they’re so good.

I saw them live like twice they own

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Holy crow thanks for all the recommendations. Working my way through them now. Xasthur is kind of exactly what I was looking for: great atmosphere, total bleakness, interesting song composition. Additionally Paysage d'Hiver hits the spot as well. The lyrics aren't the most important thing for me more the general vibe. Schattengang was oppressively wintery and very good.

And doubling up recommendations for Darkspace and Oranssi Pazuzu. Very different, but both spacey and transcendental in their own way. And if you dig Oranssi Pazuzu check out Waste of Space Orchestra. drat good sludgy psychedelic black metal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I love the moment in One Man Metal (an interesting little mini-documentary by Noisey) when the guy's interviewing Scott/Xasthur and it's like

Scott: "I never write anything I don't believe, like I don't say oh I'm gonna kill myself, but I might say hey, you listening to this, here's a few reasons why you might want to look into it, into dying, into killing yourself. Might wanna look into that."
Interviewer: :stare:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I already posted this in the general metal thread a few days ago, but I'm revisiting it now and jesus gently caress I want this album to be out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0FlmgcT1s

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

COOL CORN posted:

I love the moment in One Man Metal (an interesting little mini-documentary by Noisey) when the guy's interviewing Scott/Xasthur and it's like

Scott: "I never write anything I don't believe, like I don't say oh I'm gonna kill myself, but I might say hey, you listening to this, here's a few reasons why you might want to look into it, into dying, into killing yourself. Might wanna look into that."
Interviewer: :stare:

I think I might have posted this years ago in the thread but the thing I love most about that documentary is how much Sin Nanna from Striborg comes across as some normal Australian dad in comparison with Wrest and Malefic.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

deadking posted:

I think I might have posted this years ago in the thread but the thing I love most about that documentary is how much Sin Nanna from Striborg comes across as some normal Australian dad in comparison with Wrest and Malefic.

Well my dad certainly used to put on a cape and go screaming in a cave.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

deadking posted:

Yeah, he definitely seems the most... I dunno, like he's actively trying to be cool and scary. It's a little silly, but then again so is this whole dumb subgenre.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I didn't get the sense that he was putting anything on, more that he leads a fairly normal quiet life with a weird hobby in contrast to Wrest's hosed up past and Scott's dysfunctional agoraphobia.

Oldstench posted:

Well my dad certainly used to put on a cape and go screaming in a cave.

A cool dad.

Edit: speaking of Xasthur I listened to some of his recent acoustic stuff and good God is it awful.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

deadking posted:

I didn't get the sense that he was putting anything on, more that he leads a fairly normal quiet life with a weird hobby

It's kind of like how Corpsegrinder is the Platonic ideal of Florida Dad, but black metal.

Nordick posted:

I already posted this in the general metal thread a few days ago, but I'm revisiting it now and jesus gently caress I want this album to be out already.

Holy poo poo this rips

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

deadking posted:

Edit: speaking of Xasthur I listened to some of his recent acoustic stuff and good God is it awful.

Yeah he had a weird meltdown a couple years back and has been all-acoustic since then and it's................... not good.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He was always kinda weird though wasn't he?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
hosed up nerd that makes music about suicide is kinda weird? No poo poo

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

so it's similar to his old stuff then

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nordick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ndgRJGG55s

that bassist is intense

also lol this video is extremely on-brand for old school black metal. getting strong early Immortal headbanging and gesticulating in a forest vibes

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite part was when they made the priest drink maggots

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-adqbp1tA

Still owns.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That is fantastic and yea, the bassist is in the TRVE necrozone.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ughhhh I forgot Jon Nödtveidt was a loving murderer and accidentally got into Dissection.

I had somehow not realized that there were two relatively high profile homophobic murders (the other one being Bård Eithun stabbing a man to death) linked to the early black metal scene.

I'm uncomfortable with it but on the other hand Jon's dead, it's not like I'm supporting him. Is it moral to enjoy art when the artist has actually done something really bad? Is it moral to care less about it when said artist is dead? Am I disrespecting his victim? Jon Nödtveidt pretty clearly had some serious untreated mental health issues himself, which is honestly a whole other conversation, but I'm conflicted because on the one hand I am pretty vocal about not giving a gently caress about Burzum despite the music being an inextricable part of black metal's history, but on the other, the music is really good. Death of the author and all that. I still enjoy the setting and concepts developed by H.P. Lovecraft despite acknowledging that he was insanely racist even by the standards of the time.

I had this whole conversation with a couple dudes at the Wayfarer/Falls of Rauros/Infera Bruo show the other day, not specifically about Dissection but the increasing diversity and representation in extreme metal, and how it is a good thing. Gaahl, Marissa Martinez, Danica Roem, Mallika Sundaramurthy, Asagraum, just to name a few. I see more and more women and POCs at shows. Things are changing in a good way. I'm of two minds here and just looking for other people's thoughts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ughhhh I forgot Jon Nödtveidt was a loving murderer and accidentally got into Dissection.

I had somehow not realized that there were two relatively high profile homophobic murders (the other one being Bård Eithun stabbing a man to death) linked to the early black metal scene.

I'm uncomfortable with it but on the other hand Jon's dead, it's not like I'm supporting him. Is it moral to enjoy art when the artist has actually done something really bad? Is it moral to care less about it when said artist is dead? Am I disrespecting his victim? Jon Nödtveidt pretty clearly had some serious untreated mental health issues himself, which is honestly a whole other conversation, but I'm conflicted because on the one hand I am pretty vocal about not giving a gently caress about Burzum despite the music being an inextricable part of black metal's history, but on the other, the music is really good. Death of the author and all that. I still enjoy the setting and concepts developed by H.P. Lovecraft despite acknowledging that he was insanely racist even by the standards of the time.

I had this whole conversation with a couple dudes at the Wayfarer/Falls of Rauros/Infera Bruo show the other day, not specifically about Dissection but the increasing diversity and representation in extreme metal, and how it is a good thing. Gaahl, Marissa Martinez, Danica Roem, Mallika Sundaramurthy, Asagraum, just to name a few. I see more and more women and POCs at shows. Things are changing in a good way. I'm of two minds here and just looking for other people's thoughts.

My thought on this topic is “draw your own conclusions.” I’m not trying to be glib but there’s not a right answer and every time somebody goes through these long mental exercises about what’s okay to support I just want to shake them, especially if the artist is dead and there’s no money changing hands! There are probably thousands of decisions in your life that have a more tangible effect on the state of our hellworld than “should I consume the art of this dead rear end in a top hat for free on my own time?” If you can’t do it it without a guilty conscience then it’s not worth it. If you can, nobody cares! Just don’t give money to Nazis or violent psychos. Everything else is up to you.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Henchman of Santa posted:

My thought on this topic is “draw your own conclusions.” I’m not trying to be glib but there’s not a right answer and every time somebody goes through these long mental exercises about what’s okay to support I just want to shake them, especially if the artist is dead and there’s no money changing hands! There are probably thousands of decisions in your life that have a more tangible effect on the state of our hellworld than “should I consume the art of this dead rear end in a top hat for free on my own time?” If you can’t do it it without a guilty conscience then it’s not worth it. If you can, nobody cares! Just don’t give money to Nazis or violent psychos. Everything else is up to you.

You have a good point. Jon may be a dead rear end in a top hat but he made some good music. I guess it's not hurting anyone for me to listen to Dissection, it just feels strange to me to try and be a progressive leftist in our hellworld future and also love a genre of music whose birth was bloody, violent, and deranged. Suicide, murder, arson, corpse desecration, hate crimes... and now there are POCs and LGBT people making black metal. I'd like to think that makes people like Necrobutcher and Varg really angry.

At least the Darkthrone dudes grew up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You have a good point. Jon may be a dead rear end in a top hat but he made some good music. I guess it's not hurting anyone for me to listen to Dissection, it just feels strange to me to try and be a progressive leftist in our hellworld future and also love a genre of music whose birth was bloody, violent, and deranged. Suicide, murder, arson, corpse desecration, hate crimes... and now there are POCs and LGBT people making black metal. I'd like to think that makes people like Necrobutcher and Varg really angry.

At least the Darkthrone dudes grew up.

I don’t know what Necrobutcher’s beliefs are but the presence of artists like that (and generally left-leaning bands, which USBM in particular is full of these days) certainly pisses off the right kind of people.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don’t know what Necrobutcher’s beliefs are but the presence of artists like that (and generally left-leaning bands, which USBM in particular is full of these days) certainly pisses off the right kind of people.

Necrobutcher is just a dumb racist edgelord, but Hellhammer is an actual white supremacist who has gone on record as saying that black metal is only for white people

USBM is great these days and the Boston metal scene in general leans pretty hard to the left. Met a dude at the Wayfarer show with a "gently caress NSBM" patch, and have seen multiple anti-nazi, anti-racist shirts and patches around. Plus in MA we have the Satanic Temple, which is progressive feminist humanism with pentagrams (as opposed to the Church of Satan, which is Randian Objectivism with pentagrams). It's only fitting that Satanists are fighting for social justice in hellworld.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 27, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

PYF leftist black metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9cUHHxlLOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14TtA0Cz4rM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wie7FGXJ5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmRsR0_IjSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJGgEm4kRc

and my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c-Ovc4_46A

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Necrobutcher is just a dumb racist edgelord, but Hellhammer is an actual white supremacist who has gone on record as saying that black metal is only for white people

Ugh, well I broke my golden rule to see Mayhem play DMDS a few years ago. I thought the active members were grown up beyond that poo poo and the only Hellhammer controversy I knew was a homophobic comment he made in an interview.

quote:

USBM is great these days and the Boston metal scene in general leans pretty hard to the left. Met a dude at the Wayfarer show with a "gently caress NSBM" patch, and have seen multiple anti-nazi, anti-racist shirts and patches around. Plus in MA we have the Satanic Temple, which is progressive feminist humanism with pentagrams (as opposed to the Church of Satan, which is Randian Objectivism with pentagrams). It's only fitting that Satanists are fighting for social justice in hellworld.

My only exposure to Bostonians is through sports so this is pleasantly surprising.

I saw Saor last week and was thinking about how I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some fashy views based on subject matter, but I understand that Scottish nationalism is a very different thing than American nationalism or a lot of mainland European nationalism. Plus he’s friends with Panopticon and tours with Wayfarer. There is a lyric on Aura about the “age of degeneracy” but that was before it was a Nazi buzzword as far as I know.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 27, 2019

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

My take on Dissection is that it's not a black metal band

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There is a lyric on Aura about the “age of degeneracy” but that was before it was a Nazi buzzword as far as I know.

not unless it came out in the 20s. the original nazis were big on banning "degenerate art" which is where modern internet wusses probably got the idea. degeneracy has been a conservative meme since uh, ancient rome probably

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I saw Saor last week and was thinking about how I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some fashy views based on subject matter, but I understand that Scottish nationalism is a very different thing than American nationalism or a lot of mainland European nationalism. Plus he’s friends with Panopticon and tours with Wayfarer. There is a lyric on Aura about the “age of degeneracy” but that was before it was a Nazi buzzword as far as I know.

Scottish nationalism is less fascist than it is "gently caress the English". Scottish or Irish pride from people actually from those countries is a very different beast compared to easily sunburned white Americans who are proud of something they have only a tenuous connection to.

My only exposure to Bostonians is through sports so this is pleasantly surprising.

To be fair, Pats fans do suck.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I will never stop listening to Dissection