Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

tight aspirations posted:

That seems like a design flaw.

It was. They used stiff cardboard instead of the hell-plastic they previously used. We wanted to use our 40% coupon on the ludicrously expensive heads for our electric toothbrush. It did have a security sticker on it, to be fair.

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Subway closed over a thousand stores last year.

Is that more because there are so many that they start to cannibalize each other, or just people finding better sandwich places around them?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I almost did that once with the packaging of a tail light I was trying to quickly buy at Wal-Mart. I couldn't find anyone to unlock the security thing so I built up enough weak goon courage to pull the package off the rack. I positioned it just so and pulled.

It came off right away 'cause it turned out it was already ripped and just hanging there by a small ripped piece of cardboard 'cause someone already ripped it off the shelf and put it back lol.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bobjr posted:

Is that more because there are so many that they start to cannibalize each other, or just people finding better sandwich places around them?

Yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Jared Fogle thing also hurt them more than they're willing to admit, especially after it came out that people including his wife had contacted the company about him something like eight years before he was finally arrested.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bobjr posted:

Is that more because there are so many that they start to cannibalize each other
Subway's just concerned with their growth metrics. Unlike Starbucks, where it's oddly possible to have two locations within 2 blocks of each other and still be viable, there's not enough foot traffic for 2+ Subways within a few blocks of each other (aside from the lunch rush).

So Subway will greenlight anyone with the cash to start the franchise, then leave them high and dry when they find it's not a profitable enough location or when they start to get their cashflow cannibalized by the guy that just opened down the corner. As long as they're opening more than they're closing they're happy.

They were also the vanguard of the "fresh foods" fast food gang, before Chipotle leapfrogged them temporarily.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Subway blows and there's way more options now than there were 10 years ago. Here's a good example, when was the last time you ate at Quiznos?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As long as Jared gets his Commissary money

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Croatoan posted:

Subway blows and there's way more options now than there were 10 years ago. Here's a good example, when was the last time you ate at Quiznos?
All of the Quiznos around here closed years ago

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Croatoan posted:

I'm shocked every time I see a Quiznos because I've never had anything from there I'd consider good. I don't really like hot subs that don't have "cheese steak" in their name.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

bobjr posted:

If I had the choice of going to a subway or staying home and just not eating, I would stay home.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think Subway got hit hard by the Fast Casual craze. It's innately set up more like a fast casual place than a regular fast food place, but the food is still definitively fast food quality. If I'm gonna compromise on quality to save a few bucks, it had better be as fast as possible.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of the Quiznos around here closed years ago

They apparently when from 5000 locations to 800. Google tells me there are two here in Atlanta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3QK-32bxgw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blimpie's went before Quizno's

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beachcomber posted:

I'm shocked every time I see a Quiznos because I've never had anything from there I'd consider good. I don't really like hot subs that don't have "cheese steak" in their name.

I went there twice and both times the sandwiches had more mayonnaise than meat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When you walked out did a mischevious employee reveal the Jimmy John's sign??

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Have you ever had Firehouse Subs? They do the hot sub concept right.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

A Jersey Mike's appeared in my neighborhood two years ago and murdered the Togo's and Subway nearby with great speed. Now there's an Ike's going into the place where the Togo's went and I expect Jersey Mike's will struggle once people figure out how to order at Ike's. You really need to go with an established expert to teach you.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Duckman2008 posted:

New York Steamer is a pro sandwich.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Croatoan posted:

They apparently when from 5000 locations to 800. Google tells me there are two here in Atlanta.

The closest Quizno's is 70 miles away. Google Maps tells me there used to be 3 within 12 miles at one point.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Decrepus posted:

I went there twice and both times the sandwiches had more mayonnaise than meat.

I fail to see a problem with this.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I liked the Baja Chicken at Quiznos. I used to work near a location and would grab a sandwich if I had to work late. This was years ago though (2011-13). I never liked having to pick out the bread type, but at least it was just that and not literally everything else like at Subway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There is a Quiznos 51 miles away and that’s it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Jersey Mike's and Firehouse are both good.

Fun story about Subway: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/business/subway-franchisees.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Quizno's went kaput because they made franchise owners purchase food and supplies only from a Quiznos owned distributor, and their prices were so high franchise owners couldn't make a profit.

They were also taken over by a venture capital firm in a leveraged buyout that left them deep in the red, and when the economy crapped the bed they were done for.

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/brief-history-quiznos-collapse

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

xarph posted:

A Jersey Mike's appeared in my neighborhood two years ago and murdered the Togo's and Subway nearby with great speed. Now there's an Ike's going into the place where the Togo's went and I expect Jersey Mike's will struggle once people figure out how to order at Ike's. You really need to go with an established expert to teach you.

Oh man, I will never abandon Jersey Mike's unless they take a huge hit in quality. I'm from Pennsylvania and out here in California they're a little taste of home.

I went there so many times in their opening weeks that they gave me a permanent 15% VIP card.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

When you walked out did a mischevious employee reveal the Jimmy John's sign??

JJ's sucks so hard it isn't even funny. I thought they'd hosed up and used a bread stick for the bun the one time I ordered from them. Absolutely not worth the price.

My town has a deli that bakes their own bread from scratch and locally sources their meat which they do NOT skimp on at all, and it's barely a dollar more per sandwich than the Subway across the street. How the Subway stays in business is when the office workers fill up the local restaurant, the overflow latecomers shame-walk to the Subway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jimmy John’s is bad and their owner is a horrible person

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BigDave posted:

Quizno's went kaput because they made franchise owners purchase food and supplies only from a Quiznos owned distributor, and their prices were so high franchise owners couldn't make a profit.

They where also sued by multiple store-owners for this on multiple occasions, and either lost or settled in every case. The big one was something like $100 million. That definitely didn't help.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Penn Station is also good imo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Which Wich is my favorite sub shop. They have a lot of variety with the types of sandwiches they offer and the toppings you can get.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

In my neck of the woods, there's a sub shop that's been in business for drat near 50 years whose subs are a cut above the usual Jersey Mikes/Jimmy Johns/Subway stuff.

There's still a couple of Quizno's locations hanging around, although both are far enough that my lazy rear end is all :effort: about it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

In my neck of the woods, there's a sub shop that's been in business for drat near 50 years whose subs are a cut above the usual Jersey Mikes/Jimmy Johns/Subway stuff.

Of course I'd go local if I could, but no one in CA is using capicola. Please don't lump Jersey Mike's in with JJ and Subway, because it is definitely above them.

Yes I am defending a corporation.

If you eat at JJ you're supporting a guy who murders rhinos.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

If you eat at JJ you're supporting a guy who murders rhinos.

This can't be said enough; that guy is a gleefully cruel killer. I hope something terrible happens to him.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pastry of the Year posted:

This can't be said enough; that guy is a gleefully cruel killer. I hope something terrible happens to him.

Making rhinos extinct freaky fast

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Y’all talking about chain sub places when Primo Hoagies and Wawa dunks on them all, like it’s not even close.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I do agree with this except for the fact that there are 24 hour subways that actually get a lot of business.

When it’s 3 - 4 in the morning there aren’t many “healthy” options around.

I had my first subway in literally years because there was nothing else worth a poo poo that was open. It did the job but I absolutely wouldn’t having it if it was the middle of the day.

Also jersey mikes is loving expensive.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
There's a Quizno's 6.2 miles from me. Mite have to check it out.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I always laugh how Quizno's whole thing was "we toast our subs" and Subway said "okay" then added toasters in like five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ryonguy posted:

I always laugh how Quizno's whole thing was "we toast our subs" and Subway said "okay" then added toasters in like five seconds.
Yes although Subway’s method of doing it is just not as good as what Quiznos did