Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Why in the world wouldn’t my ed want her grandfathers gift? I sent a text asking if I should mail it and she said no. What in the world did her 90 year old grandfather do to her?

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
God all of that transactional love poo poo is giving me so much anxiety.

My parents have weaponized gift-giving for Christmas and my birthday so much that I honestly dread them on some level. But it's evolved (with therapy!) from horrible anxiety to a huge joke since I now share all of their crazy emails/letters and gifts with my friends. That's really helped deflate the power behind the cryptically-phrased/coded language that poo poo used to hold over me.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Holy poo poo, the worst thing my mom does is ask me to find someone to date and marry (I'm pansexual, so I'm open to whatever gender) and make/adopt grandbabies because she wants grandbabies and I'm the oldest and most stable. And my dad gets mad about dumb small stuff a lot like bad restaurant service because he's stressed all the time from a number of factors.

This thread makes me feel so much better about my parents.

I'm so sorry for anyone who has to deal with this, it's gotta be really hard.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite bit of mental illness in this thread is all the posters who are utterly aghast at the selfish stupidity of the parents completely defining and reframing their view on their relationships based off of a single book...while they themselves are completely defining and reframing their view on their relationships based on a single issendai blog post.

This post is galaxy brain af

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

This lack of thank you notes is very prevalent. We used to never get thank you notes from my former nieces and nephews from one of my X husband’s siblings. Their dad would call and thank us for them! My kids were forced to write thank you notes. My former MIL told me only my kids wrote thank you notes to her. It drove me crazy but it was my expectations that were the problem. What we started doing was sending one family gift instead of individual gifts to all the kids. If they weren’t going to talk to us on the phone or write thank you notes (when they got thank you notes from all my kids), then I would adjust my gift giving.

Its sounds like your oldest GC is not interested in a relationship with you by not responding at all to calls or texts. Some of this is her generation but some of it is just plain rudeness or she’s been trained to ignore you by her mom and dad. By continuing to send money or gifts, we tell these people that their lack of caring, respect, response is okay. And I think it best not to send cards or gifts to people who show or say they are not interested in a relationship with us. For one thing, it raises our hopes that we’ll maybe hear back this time. That keeps us enmeshed in the hope and the pain. Additionally, it send the message that we are weak and they can treat us as terribly as they want and we’ll allow it. We want this relationship, they don’t, which brings us much pain and depression and even self loathing or self blame.

My rule is if I get a birthday or Christmas or MD card, then they get a birthday or Christmas card. If they send me a gift, then they get a gift. So I do for this year based on their actions last year. Its never the same and seems like every year, one or the other blows me off. These are all adults, no grand kids yet. I am tired of putting in the effort and have a bad attitude now.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

quote:

A spring chicken I may no longer be, but
An old boiler is neither the reflection I see
I’m a loving mother hen who sadly laid a bad egg or two.
That one day hatched and away my baby birds flew.
But I won’t let that ruffle my feathers, no siree!
Mother’s day is coming, and though empty my nest be, the day still belongs to me!

Happy Mothers day everyone!
Xx

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
What all that transactional gift-giving poo poo is really about, of course, is affection. If you are good, you get my love. If you are bad, I withhold my love. To an adult, whatever, it kind of stings but it's not mind-warpingly horrific like it is when you're a little kid.

That's what it comes down to. And it cannot change, not without the parent going through some kind of self-awareness or therapy, which they'll rarely do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Light Gun Man posted:

i have a box around here somewhere of like every single birthday/xmas/whatever card my mom sent me, not because i'm sentimental, but because i just expect that i may have to someday show it off as a defense against some bullshit.

i know it ain't healthy. but whatever, it's just a box.

I keep everything mom sends, email, letters, and cards. I started out of fear that I'd be called to task for not keeping everything, now I worry sometimes that if I quoted something from 20 years ago that I'd be accused of holding on to evidence to use against her. I get enough flat denials of things she's done that I'll just hang on to them.

MasBrillante posted:

I was like true, Facebook is horrible, wait what??

Well obviously having a happy life without EP is deliberate, calculated abuse !

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spouse posted:

Holy poo poo, the worst thing my mom does is ask me to find someone to date and marry

username/post combo

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The thing I do wonder with this is, where the gently caress are the dads? Like it seems that most are mothers writing on the website, and I do wonder why that is.

Like there are mentions of husbands and what not but as kind of a tertiary background character, and I kind of think that roles as “mother takes care of hearth and home and your children’s relationships are a reflection of you, thus you have failed as a woman” have a huge influence in all of this.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

username/post combo

well spotted

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I keep everything mom sends, email, letters, and cards. I started out of fear that I'd be called to task for not keeping everything, now I worry sometimes that if I quoted something from 20 years ago that I'd be accused of holding on to evidence to use against her. I get enough flat denials of things she's done that I'll just hang on to them.

This is exactly what will happen. Winning isnt possible so you dont play the game

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

teen witch posted:

The thing I do wonder with this is, where the gently caress are the dads? Like it seems that most are mothers writing on the website, and I do wonder why that is.

Like there are mentions of husbands and what not but as kind of a tertiary background character, and I kind of think that roles as “mother takes care of hearth and home and your children’s relationships are a reflection of you, thus you have failed as a woman” have a huge influence in all of this.

Some of the quoted stories mention nonexistent or horrible ex husbands, so that could be part of it. How many posters in that forum are dads? It's definitely an interesting question.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

teen witch posted:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

Gotta give this thread credit, usually the timescale for a mock thread devolving into armchair psychology, making poo poo up, and accusing the people who point out how weird and gross they're being of being the thing the mock thread is devoted to usually takes weeks or even months and this all unfolded over the course of like a day.

I'm sure the "Rubbernecking At Heartbroken Parents While Writing Fanfiction About How They Deserved It Whilst Oversharing Our Own Pathological Disorders M-M-MEGATHREAD" will have a long history in the first few pages of GBS along with the people jerking off to corpses on Mt Everest and acting like fakeposts on Reddit are real but please know that it isn't too late, you can always tap out and not immerse yourself in a sea of inscutable acronyms and misery from which you will never emerge.

Sorry you tanked your family, which quoted thread was yours?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd assume the dads are either chill and let the kids have their distance, or just noped the gently caress out of the whole situation to start a new life 2 towns over.

Or they were the lucky ones and died early.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'd assume the dads are either chill and let the kids have their distance, or just noped the gently caress out of the whole situation to start a new life 2 towns over.

There are dads on there.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

dad enmeshed so what

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dammit, Sheridan is at poly and while a bit of a mooch did leverage his relationship with his boyfriend for an excellent trip for his family and doesnt like talking to his dad because he doesnt know that his dad is actually ok with him being gay while his mom is just oblivious.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm currently png with my mother in law right now because I didn't wash my hands before dinner at their place at some point in the past. I'm pretty sure it's a germophobe ocd thing that she's been stewing over for a long time and just erupted recently. She eventually turns on everyone who is not her direct relations and it's caused broken relationships for my bil before. Kinda hosed up.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comparing these people’s lives to Everest death watch is actually ruder than anything I could ever have imagined on my own, actually. :drat:

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Sphinx, this is so wise. For me, I painted a picture in my head that the world was all right and that my ex-husband wasn’t really that bad. I cringe now as I think of how I answered someone who asked how we managed to stay married so long (at that point, over 20 years). I said “we are friends first” and boy, I cringe at how stupid I was. We were friends as long as I did what he wanted and didn’t challenge his belittling of me or his non-participation. It is my belief that children in families gravitate to who has the power. Children want the power as they grow up because generally children are powerless until they are adults. I believe that the parent who belittles the other parent and shows disdain of their spouse to the children is vying for power. If the belittled parent, me for example, says silent to get along or doesn’t want to acknowledge what is, then it gives the message to the children that this belittling behavior is okay. That is what I think I did so long ago, taught my kids it is okay to belittle their mom. Doesn’t excuse how they act now as adults who should have a conscience but until they are willing to take ownership of their own behavior, they won’t change their childhood behavioral patterns. That is my opinion anyways.

Ann, your husband’s response shows he is all about himself and his image. No wife could win against this thinking.

Speaking of photos, we saw a photo of my step ES and his mother taken probably at Christmas. She has both her arms wrapped around his waist. Hands clasped in front of him, leaning into him. Like a girlfriend and boyfriend. She has a huge mother of the year smile but the ES has flat affect – no expression, no smile, eyes cold, and his arms are by his sides. She is saying “I own you” and he is saying “I dislike you.” This is how the ES is, narcissistic and unable to give love, his mom is the same but is posing as the great mom for the camera. It just reinforced to us how the ES truly is. Its not us, its within him. And we realized there has to be some genetics at play here with the ES

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

THOT PATROL posted:

A spring chicken I may no longer be, but
An old boiler is neither the reflection I see
I’m a loving mother hen who sadly laid a bad egg or two.
That one day hatched and away my baby birds flew.
But I won’t let that ruffle my feathers, no siree!
Mother’s day is coming, and though empty my nest be, the day still belongs to me!

Happy Mothers day everyone!
Xx
Hahahahaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

bell jar posted:

dad enmeshed so what

Dadginal mesh.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

All of those people, that website, and this thread, they are all huge bummers, bigtime.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was told that my wife is controlling me, as evidence of this I was pointed to photos of me, her and our kids where "I am smiling with teeth." (I poo poo you not.)

Tip of a major iceberg which I'm not about to get into, but reading every one of these posts makes me think that it's my mother until I see details that don't match.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I want to point out that toxic masculinity also comes with an inability to articulate and share one's feelings due to a lifetime of repression. It's totally possible that a lot of these lovely dads don't bother to communicate their family problems with others.

If so, a website like this might skew more toward the mothers who are more open and talkative about their family issues.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I was told that my wife is controlling me, as evidence of this I was pointed to photos of me, her and our kids where "I am smiling with teeth." (I poo poo you not.)

Tip of a major iceberg which I'm not about to get into, but reading every one of these posts makes me think that it's my mother until I see details that don't match.

I took part in an annual film festival 5 years in a row, videos I made were played in a theatre, it was a school fund raising event and I always invited my mom to go with me. The first 4 years I thought was fine, we went for dinner together before the show, sat together, etc, the 5th I was in charge of running the festival and was really excited and when I invited her to go she said she was busy. She admitted later she lied and that she can't stand being around me with my friends because my face 'lights up more' around them than when I'm with her. So I too am a lovely person for being too happy around others.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

THOT PATROL posted:

BONUS ROUND! same woman posts an emo thread, comprised entirely of the following:

quote:

My oldest daughter has always been tough, she was born one month after my own mother died.

loving inconsiderate baby!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

I want to point out that toxic masculinity also comes with an inability to articulate and share one's feelings due to a lifetime of repression. It's totally possible that a lot of these lovely dads don't bother to communicate their family problems with others.

If so, a website like this might skew more toward the mothers who are more open and talkative about their family issues.

yeah they're just not joining this particular style of support group and not obsessing over the specific kind of Christmas-card-centric 11-dimensional passive-aggression chess that gets reposted here a lot, lmao at the idea that there's fewer lovely dads whose kids avoid them out there

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My wife was diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder after 15 years of hell. I could tell some stories, boy. It's a bit better now that theres medication involved.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
Reading through the issendai article and reading all the stories posted here makes me grateful my parents were unobtrusive and fairly evenhanded. It also reminds me why I don't have any social media.

Good luck out there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Dregs posted:

My wife was diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder after 15 years of hell. I could tell some stories, boy. It's a bit better now that theres medication involved.

Tell some stories, boy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So the book theses people refer to, is it like a self-help book or something? After a little reading it seems like it contains exercises and such....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh and some content:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bet every single one of these people would vehemently argue in favor of spanking as a disciplinary measure.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Literally A Person posted:

Oh and some content:

Well THOSE lines aren't difficult to read between.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
robot mom should have been recalled to the factory shortly after delivery

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sleeveless posted:

Gotta give this thread credit, usually the timescale for a mock thread devolving into armchair psychology, making poo poo up, and accusing the people who point out how weird and gross they're being of being the thing the mock thread is devoted to usually takes weeks or even months and this all unfolded over the course of like a day.

I'm sure the "Rubbernecking At Heartbroken Parents While Writing Fanfiction About How They Deserved It Whilst Oversharing Our Own Pathological Disorders M-M-MEGATHREAD" will have a long history in the first few pages of GBS along with the people jerking off to corpses on Mt Everest and acting like fakeposts on Reddit are real but please know that it isn't too late, you can always tap out and not immerse yourself in a sea of inscutable acronyms and misery from which you will never emerge.

Shut up you piece of poo poo. I didn't use any acronyms to keep the message simple 4u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the way to survive in these situations is to never accept gifts from them, and never reveal anything about yourself until you're out of there. keep your computer and phone locked down, if you write a diary for the love of god do it digitally and password protect it. they live off your personal doubts and low self esteem and if they catch wind of any of it, you're going down.

This is really good advice, but the sort of advice that anyone who needs it gets 20 years too late.

My mother still gives me poo poo as I was upset when F1 driver Ayrton Senna died 25 years ago.

e: wow he's been dead longer than I thought.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 16, 2019