Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It seems there is some serious variance on the 7nmDUV as regards silicon quality, and it's entirely possible a refresh on the 3000 series would yield something like Pinnacle ridge again, better voltage curve and moderately higher clocks, or more likely higher clocks when more cores are active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I actually don't know if it hit that on multiple cores at once but HWMonitor showed it as the max on 5 of them. Is there a program that can show a time plot of clocks like that?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Humerus posted:

I actually don't know if it hit that on multiple cores at once but HWMonitor showed it as the max on 5 of them. Is there a program that can show a time plot of clocks like that?

Hwinfo. It’s basically the same thing as hwmonitor but much better.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

GutBomb posted:

Hwinfo. It’s basically the same thing as hwmonitor but much better.

I must be blind because I have both programs (and CPU Z) and I don't see that option anywhere. Even though I'm pretty sure I used it when I first overclocked my i5-3570k.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Humerus posted:

I must be blind because I have both programs (and CPU Z) and I don't see that option anywhere. Even though I'm pretty sure I used it when I first overclocked my i5-3570k.

Double click the entry in the big list and a graph pops up

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Anyone have a good resource on how to overclock ddr4? I got the e-die cl15 3000 sticks Reddit is raving about and paired them with a 3600 (running stock) and an MSI Bazooka Plus after updating to the beta bios. The ram is stable at 2400, but I can't get it to run stably at the xmp profile setting of 3000. I've tried increasing voltage from auto up to 1.45 V, no luck. I threw a fan over the ram sticks because people are saying they can have performance issues if hot, no luck.

The beta bios seems pretty beta. Half the time it locks up when saving settings to reset. I don't know if I should return the memory, motherboard, or both. I'd sure appreciate some advice. I haven't overclocked since the early i5-2500k days.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Anyone have a good resource on how to overclock ddr4? I got the e-die cl15 3000 sticks Reddit is raving about and paired them with a 3600 (running stock) and an MSI Bazooka Plus after updating to the beta bios. The ram is stable at 2400, but I can't get it to run stably at the xmp profile setting of 3000. I've tried increasing voltage from auto up to 1.45 V, no luck. I threw a fan over the ram sticks because people are saying they can have performance issues if hot, no luck.
Here's a thread on Reddit that covers the basics: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdneto/overclocking_your_memory_from_one_newbie_to/

It involves feeding Ryzen DRAM Calculator some information and letting it generate all the subtimings. I don't think it's updated for Zen 2 memory controller yet but it's better than nothing.

Not being able to hit a 3000 XMP seems unusual, even previous gen should be able to reach those.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The beta bios seems pretty beta. Half the time it locks up when saving settings to reset. I don't know if I should return the memory, motherboard, or both. I'd sure appreciate some advice. I haven't overclocked since the early i5-2500k days.

It very well might just be the lovely bios that a lot of the non X570 boards have, I’ve seen people complaining about every company so far.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Llamadeus posted:

Here's a thread on Reddit that covers the basics: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdneto/overclocking_your_memory_from_one_newbie_to/

It involves feeding Ryzen DRAM Calculator some information and letting it generate all the subtimings. I don't think it's updated for Zen 2 memory controller yet but it's better than nothing.

Not being able to hit a 3000 XMP seems unusual, even previous gen should be able to reach those.

I’m sticking with it being a BIOS issue at least for the X370 Taichi. Up until I installed the 3900X, it was using 3200 XMP just fine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It's me. I'm the odd one out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Seamonster posted:

It's me. I'm the odd one out.

Report back with some real-world clock numbers, brah.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Most B450 and x470 bios have a bug with RAM overclocking right now because they're running an outdated AGESA. This is the same bug reviewers and people who obtained hardware before the official release had to deal with on x570.

Here is something that might work:

looncraz on reddit posted:

BIOSes below 1.0.0.3ab are all broken similarly.

You need to increase SOC voltage to 1.15V and VGDDP to 1.125V. This will increase power usage a bit, but it should bring about stability.
link to reddit post this came from

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Trying to decide between a 2700 @ 150$ or a 3600 @ 200$, the MSI B450 Tomahawk or Asrock X470 Taichi. The 2700 OC basically matches the 3600 in gaming and beats it in productivity in a lot of areas, but the 3600 has generally better lows. Tomahawk vs Taichi is basically trying to figure out if the 50$ delta is worth it, because if I jump on a 2700 I'll skip the 3000 series and hopefully get on Zen3 when it comes out instead, and maybe the overkill VRMs will be helpful then.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Report back with some real-world clock numbers, brah.

Building this weekend in the middle of a goddamn heat wave. Will have numbers this time next week.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Gamer's Nexus explains Precision Boost, Precision Boost Overdrive, Auto-OC, and examines what they do in the real world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr.Radar posted:

Gamer's Nexus explains Precision Boost, Precision Boost Overdrive, Auto-OC, and examines what they do in the real world:

tl;dw: turn on Precision Boost and forget the rest. PBO / Auto-OC do nothing whatsoever and board manufacturers have no idea what to do with it. Cooling is still the only real factor.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
A friend's just asked me to help spec out a Ryzen 3 system - emphasis will be on some casual 1440p gaming, longevity and power efficiency. Thinking 3700x, some DDR3200 or 3600 depending on what's cheap, but not sure whether the Goon Favourite B450 Tomahawk is a good bet, or whether it's best to shoot for a 570 right now, based on some of the beta bios issues I've been hearing about. Is there a go-to board yet, or is it still too early to really tell?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don Dongington posted:

A friend's just asked me to help spec out a Ryzen 3 system - emphasis will be on some casual 1440p gaming, longevity and power efficiency. Thinking 3700x, some DDR3200 or 3600 depending on what's cheap, but not sure whether the Goon Favourite B450 Tomahawk is a good bet, or whether it's best to shoot for a 570 right now, based on some of the beta bios issues I've been hearing about. Is there a go-to board yet, or is it still too early to really tell?

Come on over to the part picking thread, but in general a 3700X isn't a great choice for gaming, the 9700k outperforms it for the price and the 3600 delivers almost the same performance much cheaper. Zen2 power draw is low enough that most boards will do. The Tomahawk has the best price: features ratio but it's also sold out everywhere because everyone wants one, the MSI B450 Pro-A is almost the same and slightly cheaper.

A 1440p GPU is the tricky part because it looks like AMD will deliver the best perf:$ but AIB card don't come out until next month. The 2060S and 2070S are out now to some degree and offer better perf:W, but with substantially similar overall power draw.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Trying to decide between a 2700 @ 150$ or a 3600 @ 200$

Wow, that 2700 price dropped fast. Cheapest I've seen the 1700 is only $20 less than that so that's really tempting...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MSI x570 bios experiences: wish I'd bought asrock.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I've bought Asus the last couple times I bought motherboards, but they seem to be much slower at releasing BIOS updates compared to the likes of MSI or Asrock. I might go back to Asrock next time around, their Z77 Extreme 4 is the most stable experience I've had with a motherboard back in the Ivy Bridge days, my Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero and X470 Crosshair VII Hero have both been much more finicky.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Welp, slammed down some money for a R7 2700 and a X470 Taichi, 16GB of E Die and a new ATX case to go with it. $400 and a fairly massive upgrade for me. Was tempted by 3000 series but the 4000 series Zen3 getting confirmed for AM4 kinda pushed me towards a more budget oriented option, and the Taichi should be good for nearly anything in the 4000 series stack.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's wrong with the MSI bios?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't love it but it's been functional enough for me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Guess the frequency of Rome and next gen consoles!

https://twitter.com/vpcf90/status/1150449656150708224

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Harik posted:

Threadripper 2950x is $550 on prime day, somewhere between $200 and $300 off where it's been sitting.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably pull the trigger on this, been meaning to build a dev machine for home office use.

Are there any good AIOs for TR4 now? I will be getting a 360 radiator for the noise performance, and I don't want an ill-fitting asetek or the troubled Enermax ones. I could go custom loop in a pinch, although I'd rather not since I only want to cool the CPU. I have fittings, tubing and so on left over from my main machine anyhow.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't love it but it's been functional enough for me.

My only beef with the MSI bios on my X470 is the lack of a voltage offset. That could have come in handy when I was trying out all-core overclocks on my 2700X.

Speaking of Zen chips, I'm kicking back and waiting until Black Friday to decide whether to throw money at a 3700X, 3800X or 3900X. I figure the bios situation will sort itself out by then and there'll be more performance numbers to study and compare.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Thanks for the advice on 2600 vs 3600 the other day. I ended up going 2600 as all I'm looking to do is lock in 60fps for the next couple of years and I was able to get chip, motherboard and 16GB RAM for under £300. By the time I'm due another ride on the upgrade train I'm sure my budget and the computing landscape will both look very different.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

eames posted:

Guess the frequency of Rome and next gen consoles!

https://twitter.com/vpcf90/status/1150449656150708224

So basically no reason not be a static 3.5Ghz. That voltage curve is insane though, I wonder if that has anything to do with quad patterning?

My guess is 3.5Ghz 8C/16T and 48CU Navi+ @ 1.6-1.8Ghz for PS5 to hit 4K60. I have no earthly idea what Scarlett is going to be, but probably something very similar. IIRC, isn't the CPU side for Scarlett supposed to be a Zen2/Zen3 hybrid? That might give Microsoft an edge in CPU power.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ragingsheep posted:

What's wrong with the MSI bios?

Not a fan. I can't even set memory speed without it engaging a load of bs.

I'm probably missing something.

Maybe an update will fix it but we'll see.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 16, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

And how are gigabyte bios? mine should be in thursday.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

My only beef with the MSI bios on my X470 is the lack of a voltage offset. That could have come in handy when I was trying out all-core overclocks on my 2700X.

Speaking of Zen chips, I'm kicking back and waiting until Black Friday to decide whether to throw money at a 3700X, 3800X or 3900X. I figure the bios situation will sort itself out by then and there'll be more performance numbers to study and compare.

MSI added an offset option a while ago. I got a x470 pro carbon and am running a negative offset.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Media Bloodbath posted:

MSI added an offset option a while ago. I got a x470 pro carbon and am running a negative offset.

Must be a bios thing, like I suspected earlier. Too bad I won't upgrade until I finally get a Zen 2 chip on hand.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Don Dongington posted:

the gamers Nexus motherboard overview video is a good place to start, based on that I chose the x570 Asus TUF Gaming wifi board. Best price/feature set. I plan on getting the 3950x in sept. would link but phone posting and lazy

also on Amazon there is some DDR4 Ballistix Elite 3600 on sale for prime days

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

Not as intuitive as Asrock or Asus in my experience with recent boards. I have a B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi and the UI is a mess of things you can click or you expand/toggle with <enter> and options you can only change by entering numbers directly or using keys to alter the values (+/- or pgup/pgdn, I can't remember).

It does have all the feature I want (offsets, PBO etc.), it's just harder than necessary to find them.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Chas McGill posted:

Ugh, I hate this uncertainty with BIOS and B450 boards. The idea of flashing with a USB stick gives me the heebie jeebies. I could save about £100 and be reassured that I'll have a computer that works by just getting a 2600 and a B450, but it's not like the 2600 will have much resale value.

The X570s are so expensive though...Has anyone here bought one of the cheaper ones? I just want something that works reliably at stock and has decent sound.

The firmware image file is signing which means that the updater will be able to validate integrity before and after updating, and dual-bios configs for failback are pretty much standard now

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably pull the trigger on this, been meaning to build a dev machine for home office use.

Are there any good AIOs for TR4 now? I will be getting a 360 radiator for the noise performance, and I don't want an ill-fitting asetek or the troubled Enermax ones. I could go custom loop in a pinch, although I'd rather not since I only want to cool the CPU. I have fittings, tubing and so on left over from my main machine anyhow.
There was a shitload of stuff announced at this year's Computex. The Corsair Hydro X line looks really cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNnVnj5_H5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfeWYyo9AB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42o548Q1rwY

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zotix posted:

Echoing that some setting adjustments are unintuitive but nothing that can't be figured out after a few min. of fumbling around in the BIOS to see what is what. It has a EZ mode that it defaults to but you can change it so that it goes to 'advanced' mode each time afterwards in one of the menus.

The actual BIOS I'm using has the latest AGESA and memory profiles work fine. No crashes at all so far after a few days of crunching stuff on World Computing Grid. I'm still waiting on 1usmus' guide before I really try to tweak the RAM. I'm fine for now with 32GB of CL15 DDR4 3000 especially given how Zen2 seems to care less about the RAM than Zen/+ did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

orcane posted:

Not as intuitive as Asrock or Asus in my experience with recent boards. I have a B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi and the UI is a mess of things you can click or you expand/toggle with <enter> and options you can only change by entering numbers directly or using keys to alter the values (+/- or pgup/pgdn, I can't remember).

It does have all the feature I want (offsets, PBO etc.), it's just harder than necessary to find them.

Gigabyte completely reworked its bios. I know the new boards have it. Don’t know about the others.