Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I was working the computer lab desk in community college the first year they offered "intermediate web design" in probably '99-'00. (I was in the class, and they only person to get a perfect score on the no-one-will-get-a-perfect-score midterm.)

One of my classmates, a middle aged guy, asked me a question about his homework right after we were introduced to CSS. He was trying to create new HTML tags and then style them, like
code:

<style>
blue {
color: blue
}
</style>

<blue>this is blue</blue>
He snatched his paper back and stormed off when I told him he could only style existing tags that way, and could only define classes not tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Panthrax posted:

First semester of college in 1998 I took I think a programming 101 class that was based on C++. All assignments and tests were done by hand on paper, except for the one or two weeks when we got to go to the computer lab and play around with Borland C++ to see how programming actually worked! Surprisingly, I hated that class!

poo poo, I used Borland C++ networked edition in 1992. We had that at City College in SF. We also had my former co-worker George from Software Etc. George, as the saying goes, could talk the hind leg off a mule. When I tried to compile my first .cpp in that class, and I brought down the entire network, I just gave thanks that it was earlier enough for a free drop without affecting my transcript.

George and a buggy compiler ? gently caress that noise.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sheep posted:

This was my C/C++ class in 2014 too. Every test was pen and paper, including the final.

I had a pen and paper test in the computer lab once.

Proper syntax required, of course!

First of May posted:

I was working the computer lab desk in community college the first year they offered "intermediate web design" in probably '99-'00. (I was in the class, and they only person to get a perfect score on the no-one-will-get-a-perfect-score midterm.)

One of my classmates, a middle aged guy, asked me a question about his homework right after we were introduced to CSS. He was trying to create new HTML tags and then style them, like
code:
<style>
blue {
color: blue
}
</style>

<blue>this is blue</blue>
He snatched his paper back and stormed off when I told him he could only style existing tags that way, and could only define classes not tags.

In my last semester of college, I needed an extra class just so I could remain a full time student, so I took the easiest class I could think of to pad my GPA, intro to web design. I was the only comp sci major in there, everyone else were just trying to fulfill an elective and get on with their life.

It was the most incredible class I took in my life.

Every student in the school had a small webspace, and nobody really knew until this class. To submit homework, you'd upload your files to the server, and post the URL to blackboard, which meant that every assignment was viewable by the entire class. You can bet your rear end I looked for things to laugh at.

On the 1st week, easily half the class posted links that were C:\Users\Renegret\Desktop\Homework_1.html and were super confused when they were told it was wrong, because it works for me?? By week 5, people were still doing it. The professor said in no uncertain terms, if you do it again next week, you will get an automatic 0 on the assignment. People kept doing it anyway.

Homework requirements specified that you had to set a text and background color, but didn't touch on what a good color choice is. So we had people submitting bright yellow backgrounds with bright green text, or black backgrounds with brown text. Lots of people forgot to define any sort of alignment on their pages, so everything looked like a mess until you started resizing your window and found the exact size they were working in and everything fell into place. One page didn't line up until I set my browser to 640px, which made me worry about the machine he was using for schoolwork.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 16, 2019

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dang, you guys are hardcode. I was taught BASIC and QBASIC at age 11 at school on some old Ataris, and promptly confused the two and messed up the exam.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Merijn posted:

Dang, you guys are hardcode. I was taught BASIC and QBASIC at age 11 at school on some old Ataris, and promptly confused the two and messed up the exam.

I still miss the ROM BASIC i used to write programs in during 7th grade algebra. I wrote the dumbest poo poo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm jealous of everyone who learned a little bit of programming in primary school. Then I would've learned before my 3rd year of college that I loving hated it, and could've saved myself years of suffering.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

I'm jealous of everyone who learned a little bit of programming in primary school. Then I would've learned before my 3rd year of college that I loving hated it, and could've saved myself years of suffering.

Teaching grade school kids to program mostly leads to animated dicks and rigging computers to gently caress with people

Also a visit from men in Black suits my freshman year if high school over a practical joke

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

Teaching grade school kids to program mostly leads to animated dicks and rigging computers to gently caress with people

To be fair, this isn't exclusive to children

I need to know more about the black suits though

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Renegret posted:

Eh, my suffering started afterwards instead, when I found my dad's PC had Visual Basic 3 on it, and got stuck programming in VB for at least 12 years. :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

RFC2324 posted:

Also a visit from men in Black suits my freshman year if high school over a practical joke

:justpost:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

I still miss the ROM BASIC i used to write programs in during 7th grade algebra. I wrote the dumbest poo poo

Same here, BASIC on a TRS-80 in 8th grade, I wrote a program to draw the Enterprise, except the screen wasn't wide enough so I did just the right half.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

To be fair, this isn't exclusive to children

I need to know more about the black suits though

I downloaded some program that pretended to hack the FBI, and used it in class. I didn't realize the teacher wouldn't be smart enough to realize an IBM PS/2 isn't capable of being networked, and he apparently made a call.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My colleges programming 101 course was COBOL

In 2003.

Yes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kurieg posted:

My colleges programming 101 course was COBOL

In 2003.

Yes.

You can make good money knowing COBOL.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I knew more about autoexec.bat in high school than the IT department and won the arms race by making my dumb custom boot logo that I put on all the computers autodeploy for the second boot after they got rid of it until they upgraded the computers to XP.

Also, the most complex my IT classes ever got was writing an SQL query. Outside of making a box change colors with rgb sliders in visual basic, we never did any programming whatsoever (super basic html doesn't count) and this is including advanced courses.
I mainly just breezed through the assignment and then played games on MAME or SNES9X during class.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

In college, in 2006, my final on the MS SQL course was handwritten.

That instructor was also a loving idiot, so there's that.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/1149733629846671360?s=19

Workstation upgraded via stealth mission.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
In high school (98-2001 time frame) I showed a few how to bypass the internet filtering on the computers in the library... it wasn't long before the entire school was doing it. They used Windows NT4 with something called "CyberPatrol" for filtering. The filtering was quite pervasive, it blocked basically everything, including the school's own website most of the time. I figured out all you had to do was rename the EXE file and reboot, the filter failed to load then.

In middle school (94-97), most of the computer lab machines where IBM PS/2 machines with Windows 3.11 and Novell NetWare. This meant NetWars :D Much fun was had with it. Kids started playing it so much many of the teachers just capitulated and started letting us do it if we finished early. Some teachers even held NetWars day tournaments/contests.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I downloaded some program that pretended to hack the FBI, and used it in class. I didn't realize the teacher wouldn't be smart enough to realize an IBM PS/2 isn't capable of being networked, and he apparently made a call.
That's one hell of a RAT. :dance:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Renegret posted:

Homework requirements specified that you had to set a text and background color, but didn't touch on what a good color choice is. So we had people submitting bright yellow backgrounds with bright green text, or black backgrounds with brown text. Lots of people forgot to define any sort of alignment on their pages, so everything looked like a mess until you started resizing your window and found the exact size they were working in and everything fell into place. One page didn't line up until I set my browser to 640px, which made me worry about the machine he was using for schoolwork.

I had a VB course in college to use as a filler. The homework also required you to "Change something about the appearance." I made the text lime green and the background hot pink. I knew it was ugly, I specifically chose to make it ugly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Guy Axlerod posted:

I had a VB course in college to use as a filler. The homework also required you to "Change something about the appearance." I made the text lime green and the background hot pink. I knew it was ugly, I specifically chose to make it ugly.

you're a monster

I usually set backgrounds to #BEEF because I thought it was the height of comedy at the time.

I'm not a very funny person.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guy Axlerod posted:

My first ever website had a black-ish background with random lilac scribbles all over it and neon-green text. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how everyone fucks with their lecturers.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I took a graphic design class in college after having been a professional web designer/developer for...I dunno, 5 years or something. The professor was teaching that you should rasterize your text into graphics instead of, you know...parseable, normal-rear end text. Which is such complete LOL NO that I went off on a best practices/ADA regulations lecture, after which I was told my input was not welcome because the professor had been IN THE INDUSTRY (in the mid 80s, mostly doing photo spreads of fancy cars) and knew better than I did. :psyboom:

And this is why I changed majors to art history instead of graphic design. Writing papers is way more straightforward than doing studio art for dumbfucks. (Yes, life drawing professor who put a sticky note on my end of year portfolio saying, "Where are your good drawings?", you can suck it, too. gently caress art school forever.)

On a more positive note, I took 3 years of CS in high school from the best CS teacher ever. His philosophy was that if you just did the assignment as stated, you got a C for minimum effort. If you wanted an A (10/10 on his grading scale), you had to use the lesson to make something wholly new, and also make it "slick." So basically we spent 3 years hacking together networked games, graphics engines, and all sorts of dumb/cool poo poo. Also, fractals! :3: I was super spoiled, and when I got to college and found out programming was A) way more math-focused than I liked, and B) taught by uncreative, droning, chauvinist assholes, I bailed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Renegret posted:

I got in trouble for using CSS in an HTML class in college before we officially learned it.

loving hell I hated that poo poo. I had that a few times throughout my public school computer classes as well, the teacher was starting off with a worse but possibly easier to understand way of doing things and I already knew how to do the same thing a better way, but they'd force me to do the worse way because it's what was in the curriculum.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I took a graphic design class in college after having been a professional web designer/developer for...I dunno, 5 years or something. The professor was teaching that you should rasterize your text into graphics instead of, you know...parseable, normal-rear end text. Which is such complete LOL NO that I went off on a best practices/ADA regulations lecture, after which I was told my input was not welcome because the professor had been IN THE INDUSTRY (in the mid 80s, mostly doing photo spreads of fancy cars) and knew better than I did. :psyboom:
When I went back to college I went directly into "industry work placement year" and the lecturer organising the class told everyone to sit at the front because they didn't want to shout. They then proceeded to talk about "the real world" in the way that lecturers do. Having been in two weeks prior I just walked out, and when I was called on it I pointed out that "in the real world" I'd be dropping the lecturer's company for sending a shitheaded employee to do a job for me.

Needless to say, I did not get a placement :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arquinsiel posted:

When I went back to college I went directly into "industry work placement year" and the lecturer organising the class told everyone to sit at the front because they didn't want to shout. They then proceeded to talk about "the real world" in the way that lecturers do. Having been in two weeks prior I just walked out, and when I was called on it I pointed out that "in the real world" I'd be dropping the lecturer's company for sending a shitheaded employee to do a job for me.

Needless to say, I did not get a placement :v:

Did everyone stand up and clap? Did the Dean high five you on the way out?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

gently caress people like that right to the unemployment line. If you actively make someone else's job harder and (more importantly) compromise security by running old custom poo poo, you can find somewhere else to work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It was Commodore though and he was working on Amiga. There was absolutely nothing useful the guy or his team was doing anyway. :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

It’s not that hard to burn an arrogant dickwad IRL. I mean, a lot of people are probably going to think you’re the rear end in a top hat, but it’s not hard to do.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

AlexDeGruven posted:

gently caress people like that right to the unemployment line. If you actively make someone else's job harder and (more importantly) compromise security by running old custom poo poo, you can find somewhere else to work.

Lol, no. Everyone involved with shoving unstable pre-release software onto someone's production machine over their direct objections belongs out on their rear end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sickening posted:

Man, I was in my 30's. gently caress being talked down to by someone I hired to provide a service, I'm too old for that poo poo.

Also I don't know what a Dean is :shrug:.

VVVV :golfclap:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 16, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Man, I was in my 30's. gently caress being talked down to by someone I hired to provide a service, I'm too old for that poo poo.

Also I don't know what a Dean is :shrug:.

It's like a Bean but 2 more

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arquinsiel posted:

There's definitely a point in your professional career when you realise that you don't have to put up with poo poo like this and you don't.

I think it is gradual, rather than a revolutionary change, but you decide it's okay to call out bullshit and it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat for doing so.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Javid posted:

Lol, no. Everyone involved with shoving unstable pre-release software onto someone's production machine over their direct objections belongs out on their rear end.

If it's literally your job to develop software for a platform and you refuse to install it because you think it's garbage than how can you actually do your job?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A specific test machine, probably, not shoving unstable beta poo poo on your actual workstation

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shut up Meg posted:

There's definitely a point in your professional career when you realise that you don't have to put up with poo poo like this and you don't.

I think it is gradual, rather than a revolutionary change, but you decide it's okay to call out bullshit and it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat for doing so.
Well a large part of me dropping out in the first place was the unquestioned authority of lecturers to just not show up for an entire year. So when I went back it wasn't as a kid who assumed it was like school without taking roll, instead it was as an adult fully aware that I was paying a lot of money (by unemployed person standards) to receive a service, and if that service wasn't what I was paying for then I was going to kick up a fuss and go talk as many managers as it took.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Javid posted:

A specific test machine, probably, not shoving unstable beta poo poo on your actual workstation
The practice of dogfooding in software development is pretty common, especially with system-level software. The story as written indicates it's relatively late in the development process and they're at the point of trying to determine whether it's ready to release. IMO that's exactly when it should be running on basically any system where you can afford the chance of some issues on, to hopefully discover exactly those problems that your testing didn't catch rather than letting a customer find 'em.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/alby/status/1150893495747579905?s=21

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wtf did I just see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted: