Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Palpatine will be an Ewok now and voiced by Mike Stoklasa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think they designed ship models codenamed "A" and "B" and kept the names.

And the fact that the A-wing looks like an A turned out to be a bit of a coincidence

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jerkface posted:

- Whats Rey gonna do now that she is carrying the Jedi legacy
- How will the resistance rebuild
- How will the First Order be defeated
- How is Kylo going to handle being supreme leader
- Whats gonna happen with kylo / between kylo & rey
- Paying off Luke's noble sacrifice
- What will a hard committed Finn bring to the resistance

The problem is no one cares about any of this because there are no good characters behind any of it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I know Luke died in the last movie, but Bigger Luke’s fate remains unresolved.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh god, it really is being written by the guy who wrote BvS and Justice League.

ugggghhhhhhhh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The "no hooks" issue for TLJ going into the third movie sort of hinges on two things:

1) The characters all seem to reach reasonable conclusions to their arcs (if they had arcs to begin with). Rey reaches a point where I guess she's ready to create her own legacy. Finn reaches some degree of self-actualization. Kylo is liberated from the two remaining paternal authorities in his life. Poe has a vaguely good idea after having a bunch of bad ideas.

2) Since the characters all basically seem to have reached maturity, then resolving the central conflict of Resistance vs First Order is really all that's left. That would be okay, if the first two movies had given us any understanding of that conflict, or any reason to be invested.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Also, if it wasn't for meta knowledge that this is a children's movie series and the middle entry in a trilogy there would be no reason at all to think the resistance vs. first order conflict isn't resolved already. We're told that the first order conquered the entire galaxy offscreen and there are 15 horribly traumatized and maimed survivors left in the resistance, with one ship, led by a woman who has no allies and can barely speak or stand

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 16, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

2) Since the characters all basically seem to have reached maturity, then resolving the central conflict of Resistance vs First Order is really all that's left. That would be okay, if the first two movies had given us any understanding of that conflict, or any reason to be invested.
This is another big problem for me. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they really gloss over what went on between ROTJ and TFA. That and having grown up with the OT characters I am more invested in what is going on with them, but then they immediately kill off Han, Luke is not really Luke and then dies, and Leia hasn't been in either movie much and will presumably be removed from the picture somehow by plot contrivance since Carrie Fisher died before she got to film this movie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

No Mods No Masters posted:

Also, if it wasn't for meta knowledge that this is a children's movie series and the middle entry in a trilogy there would be no reason at all to think the resistance vs. first order conflict isn't resolved already. We're told that the first order conquered the entire galaxy offscreen and there are 15 horribly traumatized and maimed survivors left in the resistance, with one ship, led by a woman who has no allies and can barely speak or stand

Not to mention that they did it in record time since there is no time-gap between Episodes VII and VIII.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is another big problem for me. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they really gloss over what went on between ROTJ and TFA. That and having grown up with the OT characters I am more invested in what is going on with them, but then they immediately kill off Han, Luke is not really Luke and then dies, and Leia hasn't been in either movie much and will presumably be removed from the picture somehow by plot contrivance since Carrie Fisher died before she got to film this movie

They're using archival footage of Fisher from TFA / TLJ.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

OK let me clarify that I meant that they're going to have to find some way to write her out of the story since I can't imagine she has a full film's worth of footage still in the can.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Timby posted:

Driven mad by the annihilation of the Not-Quite-Rebellion, Leia loses her grip on reality, spouting nonsense to whoever will listen, except when she is lucid and looks mysteriously like a rubber puppet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FlamingLiberal posted:

OK let me clarify that I meant that they're going to have to find some way to write her out of the story since I can't imagine she has a full film's worth of footage still in the can.

You don't need it, just get McDiarmid in the Emperor prosthetics, put on lipstick and a wig and you'll have a pretty life like coked-out Fisher.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
it wouldve been cool if ackbar was the one to do the hyperspace ramming speed thing

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think the teaser all but confirmed there's some kind of time travel/alternate universe hijinks going on. I don't think that planet at the end with the death star sticking out of the ocean is Endor, simply because it doesn't look like Endor. There's no forest and no ewoks. Would it stand to reason that a planet would have more than one ecosystem? Of course, but not in Star Wars. I say it's some loving galaxy B bullshit where ol' Palpy is still alive.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jerkface posted:

- Whats Rey gonna do now that she is carrying the Jedi legacy 2 days
- How will the resistance rebuild Yes
- How will the First Order be defeated 500 dead
- How is Kylo going to handle being supreme leader 3000 dead
- Whats gonna happen with kylo / between kylo & rey 15 dead
- Paying off Luke's noble sacrifice No
- What will a hard committed Finn bring to the resistance Good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Call me crazy, but I think it’s more likely we get a new-look Endor (which is justifiable since the Death Star fell on it) than it is that we get loving time travel and multiverses.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Will Kylo burn Bespin?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

General Dog posted:

Call me crazy, but I think it’s more likely we get a new-look Endor (which is justifiable since the Death Star fell on it) than it is that we get loving time travel and multiverses.

counterpoint: JJ Abrams

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think the teaser all but confirmed there's some kind of time travel/alternate universe hijinks going on. I don't think that planet at the end with the death star sticking out of the ocean is Endor, simply because it doesn't look like Endor. There's no forest and no ewoks. Would it stand to reason that a planet would have more than one ecosystem? Of course, but not in Star Wars. I say it's some loving galaxy B bullshit where ol' Palpy is still alive.

the environment of Endor is never seen since the base is on one of the moons of Endor.

But more seriously a space ship of that size slamming into the planet would create a crater big enough to look like the sea as pictured

But even more seriously if theres time travel Disney should just shut down the Star Wars park now because thats the end of it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Barudak posted:

the environment of Endor is never seen since the base is on one of the moons of Endor.

heheheheh

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Time travel

Thousands of years into the past

Rey is the first Jedi.

It rhymes.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
It obviously can't be the forest moon of Endor because the sequel trilogy (also Rogue One and Solo) refuses to feature any planet featured in the previous movies. I'm pretty sure it must be a condition set by Disney to the writers. It's extremely frustrating to me because we keep getting planets that look like Tatooine but are not actually supposed to be Tatooine. Just like everything else in the sequels, the planet design is mostly really boring.

My guess is that the Death Star remains are gonna be the remains of some unfinished third Death Star that was hidden away during the events of ROTJ and then scrapped. They're gonna be located on a new planet named after JJ Abrams dog or something.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Captain Jesus posted:

It obviously can't be the forest moon of Endor because the sequel trilogy (also Rogue One and Solo) refuses to feature any planet featured in the previous movies. I'm pretty sure it must be a condition set by Disney to the writers. It's extremely frustrating to me because we keep getting planets that look like Tatooine but are not actually supposed to be Tatooine. Just like everything else in the sequels, the planet design is mostly really boring.

My guess is that the Death Star remains are gonna be the remains of some unfinished third Death Star that was hidden away during the events of ROTJ and then scrapped. They're gonna be located on a new planet named after JJ Abrams dog or something.

Uhhh, Yavin IV was clearly featured in Rogue One.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Jesus posted:

Crait and Scarif were pretty good at least.

Also I don't know how to square "don't use old planets" with their slavish rehashing of the original trilogy.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

General Dog posted:

That would mean that they'd have to accept the Endor Holocaust as having happened to some degree. Considering the amount of mental gymnastics and retcon explanations that were done to essentially say 'nuh-uh' rather than even acknowledge the possibility that the Rebellion caused collateral damage on innocents/non-combatants, I can see them running like a starving man to a freshly laid out buffet to a time travel/multiverse explanation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Crait and Scarif were pretty good at least.

Also I don't know how to square "don't use old planets" with their slavish rehashing of the original trilogy.

New planets = more money
Being the same as the old planets = familiar and comforting

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Everything that happened after Luke got his hand lopped off in ESB is a trauma-induced force vision, a CGI Luke will snap out of it, grimace, and hold on to that antenna for dear life.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Uhhh, Yavin IV was clearly featured in Rogue One.

True, I forgot about that. I think also Vader's castle in Rogue one was supposed to be on Mustafar? I'm pretty sure it's not explicitly stated though so it might have been just some other identical lava planet.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
do you guys think there's only like four planets? multiple desert planets in a galaxy, so what

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The problem isn’t that multiple desert planets exist in the galaxy, it’s that we’re having to spend so much time with them to the exclusion of something different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I wish they had more unique planets for sure. We really don’t need 50 barren desert/wasteland ones.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Riptor posted:

it wouldve been cool if ackbar was the one to do the hyperspace ramming speed thing

Having Ackbar the suicide bomber in a Star War sure would have been something, alright.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You know I hope they do go ahead with the stupid time travel theory as it would be more or less an open admission of what everybody already knows, that Star Wars can only tell one type of story. Unfortunately I think ghost-emperor turning the Ewoks evil is simply too good an idea for this series, however.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Thing is, the prequels had desert planets too, but Genosis and Utapau felt distinct from each other and Tatooine. It's only the sequel trilogy that has Tatooine/Jakku and Coruscant/Hosnian, planets that look the same, play the same narrative role, and yet, inexplicably, aren't supposed to be the same.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Robot Style posted:

Having Ackbar the suicide bomber in a Star War sure would have been something, alright.

Jek Porkins

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Friendly reminder that Endor has giant tree spiders that descend from the tree tops to suck your blood and scream at you, the rebels were in the wrong imo.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Angry Salami posted:

Thing is, the prequels had desert planets too, but Genosis and Utapau felt distinct from each other and Tatooine. It's only the sequel trilogy that has Tatooine/Jakku and Coruscant/Hosnian, planets that look the same, play the same narrative role, and yet, inexplicably, aren't supposed to be the same.

Or, as Cnut (:rip:) put it:

Cnut the Great posted:

Instead, let's take a look at the way past Star Wars media has depicted different planets nominally sharing a single biome.

Star Wars swamp planets:

Dagobah:

Naboo:

Rodia:

Dathomir:

Toydaria:

Nal Hutta:

Some of these are more fully fledged than others, the differences between a 22-episode-a-season television series and a three-year film production must be kept in mind, and some of these establishing shots don't do full justice to the complete environmental design work--but the overall creative ethos at work is still apparent in each image. Each world, despite being a swamp environment, is immediately visually distinct and instantly communicates its own distinct vibe, its own individual take on human ideas about what The Swamp is. Dagobah is dark and foreboding, Naboo is beautiful and enchanted, Rodia is tropical and muggy, Dathomir is witchy and sinister, Toydaria is green and rich, Nal Hutta is toxic and sickly.

There's a strong artistic sensibility here which is unfortunately lacking now. The idea now isn't about tapping into new and unique kinds of feelings about old things but about tapping into old kinds of feelings about old things. Crait at least featured a little bit of visual flourish with the kick-ups of red dust against the white, but what kind of feelings did it evoke? There was no guiding archetypal principle for the imagination to grasp onto other than "snow," which is why a line had to be included explaining that it was in fact salt. Compare it to even one of the more esoteric planets of the prequels like Utapau, which successfully instills visceral, Vernesque notions of subterranean descent and prehistoric survivals, something briefly flirted with during the aquatic Planet Core sequence in Episode I but otherwise new for Star Wars.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

YaketySass posted:

Or, as Cnut (:rip:) put it:
Really? What happened to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cheesus posted:

Really? What happened to him?

He left to become a navigator on a spice freighter.