Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Jaxyon posted:

Hyundai Elantra 2004

I took my car in to get the coolant replaced in the AC, had them check for leaks and whatnot.

Now when I run the AC, it starts off cool, and then gets lukewarm. In addition, the engine temp is running noticeably higher than normal.

I'm planning on taking it back, but anyone have an idea?

What was the issue that made you get the A/C serviced initially? Usually as long as the A/C works, you don't mess with it at all.

Your radiator/condenser fans might not be working. Check the fuses for them first, and make sure they're plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

0toShifty posted:

What was the issue that made you get the A/C serviced initially? Usually as long as the A/C works, you don't mess with it at all.

Your radiator/condenser fans might not be working. Check the fuses for them first, and make sure they're plugged in.

Stopped being cold at all.

Now it's cold initially and then stops 5 minutes in

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Black88GTA posted:

So, after being in my current house for the last ~12 years, I am being forced to move unexpectedly, which means that I have to get as much of my hoopty fleet running as I can. Not much can be done for the Subarus at this point, but I am trying to resurrect my old truck. It's a 2003 Escalade AWD, with the LQ9 6.0L V8. Has about 190k on it. It was running perfectly when I parked it, but has been sitting in my driveway for the last 4 years.

After replacing the battery, draining out the old gas and adding 5 gallons of new (plus some unrelated other stuff), I've been able to get it running, but only on 4 cylinders - the driver's side bank is completely dead. When I pull the plugs going to the coils on the driver's side, there is no change in engine idle, but pulling any of the ones on the passenger side causes the idle to noticeably change. When it is running, it idles rough and throws a CEL. The codes are P0171 "System too lean bank 1" and P0300 "random / multiple cylinder misfire detected". Fuel trims are through the roof on this side as well, but appear relatively normal on the passenger side.

Reading about this indicated that the intake manifold gaskets are a known weak spot with these, and could cause this type of problem, so I replaced the IM gaskets (both sides) and knock sensors yesterday.
Unfortunately, this didn't fix it. I've also read that a plugged up cat can cause this, but I don't think this is the case because it was running perfect when I parked it.

My next thought would be to replace the front O2 sensor on the driver's side. Anyone have any other ideas on things to check?

The O2 sensors aren't used when it's cold.

Pull one of the spark plugs on the driver's side after running it for a minute. Is it wet or dry? If it's wet, is it oil or gas? If it's oil, try new plugs (all of them). If it's gas, your coils aren't firing for some reason. If you've got gas on the plugs, try swapping a couple of coils side to side.

If they're dry, you've got something going on with the injectors - either they're seized from sitting so long, or they're not getting power from the PCM.

Either way, with it being an entire bank, I'd be pulling out the multimeter and seeing if power is getting to that bank of injectors or coils, and following the wiring to see if there's any rodent damage.

Jaxyon posted:

Hyundai Elantra 2004

I took my car in to get the coolant replaced in the AC, had them check for leaks and whatnot.

Now when I run the AC, it starts off cool, and then gets lukewarm. In addition, the engine temp is running noticeably higher than normal.

I'm planning on taking it back, but anyone have an idea?

Does it cool off once you're at highway speeds? If so, radiator fan. Maybe they bumped the plug for it...

(also, it's refrigerant; coolant is for your engine).

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

STR posted:

The O2 sensors aren't used when it's cold.

Pull one of the spark plugs on the driver's side after running it for a minute. Is it wet or dry? If it's wet, is it oil or gas? If it's oil, try new plugs (all of them). If it's gas, your coils aren't firing for some reason. If you've got gas on the plugs, try swapping a couple of coils side to side.

If they're dry, you've got something going on with the injectors - either they're seized from sitting so long, or they're not getting power from the PCM.

Either way, with it being an entire bank, I'd be pulling out the multimeter and seeing if power is getting to that bank of injectors or coils, and following the wiring to see if there's any rodent damage.

I was reading up on this and saw posts elsewhere stating that replacing an upstream O2 sensor on the affected bank fixed this type of problem, but now that I think about it I believe that was on cars that were already up to temp, so good call on that. I will try examining plugs / swapping coils whenever I'm able to work on it next. I was going to investigate grounds as well, as soon as I can find exactly where the ground is for the driver's side injectors / coils.

I've been looking around for rodent damage, but haven't found anything of the sort. This truck is a horrible rustbucket though, so it wouldn't surprise me to find a rotted ground wire connection somewhere, although I haven't seen any suspicious dangling wires or anything yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

I was reading up on this and saw posts elsewhere stating that replacing an upstream O2 sensor on the affected bank fixed this type of problem, but now that I think about it I believe that was on cars that were already up to temp, so good call on that.

You can be assured that cars in open loop (cold) do not use the O2 sensors and unless they hit closed loop and fall on their face the upstream O2 sensor is not the issue.

They definitely can be an issue and are later on with many things, but it's not a clod start thing. You can just unplug them to make sure the ECU isn't doing something stupid, as it should have a fuel map for "no O2 sensor/bad O2 ssensor" which is enough to make it run fine (where "fine" means "pig rich")

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LS engines (at least on cars) have a giant plug and sub harness for each bank of coils. It's not hard to remove a whole coil pack and inspect it on the bench instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

I was going to investigate grounds as well, as soon as I can find exactly where the ground is for the driver's side injectors / coils.

I've been looking around for rodent damage, but haven't found anything of the sort. This truck is a horrible rustbucket though, so it wouldn't surprise me to find a rotted ground wire connection somewhere, although I haven't seen any suspicious dangling wires or anything yet.

The main ground is the PCM coil driver (there's also a chassis ground); the coils should always have +12V whenever the ignition switch is on.

This seems useful. But pull the plugs first immediately after starting and running it briefly; if the plugs are wet with gas, then your coils aren't firing. If they're dry, you've got something else going on (maybe injectors or wiring?). It's possible they share some grounds, but there's not much sense in chasing an ignition issue if it's a fuel issue, and vice versa.

e: I'm gonna bug a friend and see if I can get some wiring diagrams for the coils and injectors...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 15, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Black88GTA posted:

I'm sort of betting on this actually. I have no idea where you live but I have a ton of chipmunks. If your car sat as long as you say wouldn't surprise me. Little effing bastards.

Got a noid light kit?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Maybe not the right thread for it but I couldn't find a Mitsubishi thread.

Does anyone know how much a replacement transmission for a Lancer Ralliart would be in southern california/los angeles? I have found a pair of these cars for sale (one unmodded for 3k, and one nicely done with tasteful EVO mods for 5k) but both have failing transmissions.

Or does anyone have a good shop recommendation I can call? Or a better thread to point me to?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is Jeep a good brand? I am looking for something with good ground clearence, decent 4WD/AWD, and that can fit a bunch of gear and surfboards. A jeep seems like a reasonable bet but I am not sure if there is something better (I do not want a truck)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Skyarb posted:

Is Jeep a good brand? I am looking for something with good ground clearence, decent 4WD/AWD, and that can fit a bunch of gear and surfboards. A jeep seems like a reasonable bet but I am not sure if there is something better (I do not want a truck)

Chrysler products generally seem to have build "quality" referred to as "laughable". I don't know if that extends to Jeep products as well. (probably)

A Rav 4 or CRV might fit your requirements.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skyarb posted:

What about a Subaru Outback? Every bit as good off-road, hopefully a bit more reliable than a jeep.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

wesleywillis posted:

Chrysler products generally seem to have build "quality" referred to as "laughable". I don't know if that extends to Jeep products as well. (probably)

A Rav 4 or CRV might fit your requirements.

People like to say, oh, jeeps are different.

gently caress no, they're still fca. No way no how.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I'd like to replace the 4x6 square sealed beam headlights on our '89 Volvo 740 but I don't know what the best route would be; HID? Halogen? LED?
I'll be adding a relays while I'm in there, which should make a difference even if I stay close to stock, but I just don't know enough about options outside of that.

I really don't want to end up being *that guy* with the lovely blinding lights.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Twerk from Home posted:

What about a Subaru Outback? Every bit as good off-road, hopefully a bit more reliable than a jeep.

Hmmm Subaru makes a bunch of SUV's, forester, crosstrek, outback, and ascent. Not sure what differentiates them but I suppose I could look into it. Subaru's have good build quality? Can't say I like how they look but I'm a form over function guy anyhow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wally Joyner posted:

I'd like to replace the 4x6 square sealed beam headlights on our '89 Volvo 740 but I don't know what the best route would be; HID? Halogen? LED?
I'll be adding a relays while I'm in there, which should make a difference even if I stay close to stock, but I just don't know enough about options outside of that.

I really don't want to end up being *that guy* with the lovely blinding lights.

Your safest best on the last one is going to be some form of H4-style replacement housing from a good manufacturer.

I went with cheap Amazon "DOT approved" 7" round LEDs on my TJ and while I'm not getting high beams flashed at me, they're probably borderline.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Would it be possible for a bad ABS/wheel speed sensor to gently caress with a Subaru's transmission? (2010 Impreza, automatic)

I took my car to the shop last month to get the transmission looked at after I had the AT Oil Temp light come on along with the check engine light. They thought it was possibly the Transmission Control Module, so they swapped mine for a used one and then my car seemed fine for a few weeks.

What I forgot to tell them the first time I brought it to the shop - because I was so concerned about the transmission light - was that earlier in the day that the AT Oil Temp light originally came on, the ABS light had started flashing as I was going up a hill. It went away after I turned the car off and didn't come back.

Now, that ABS light starts to flash seemingly every other time I go up a long, steady incline. I had it come on three times yesterday, and on that third time I also saw the AT Oil Temp light come back on for the first time since the TCM got swapped out.

The shifting occasionally feels fucky in city driving/at lower speeds, but seems totally fine at highway speeds* so far. So could it really be the ABS sensor causing all the issues or am I dreaming?

*e: nevermind, just happened as I was driving home on the highway

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 16, 2019

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your safest best on the last one is going to be some form of H4-style replacement housing from a good manufacturer.

I went with cheap Amazon "DOT approved" 7" round LEDs on my TJ and while I'm not getting high beams flashed at me, they're probably borderline.

Exactly what I was looking to hear about--thanks for the heads up!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wally Joyner posted:

Exactly what I was looking to hear about--thanks for the heads up!

FYI - Hella makes kits for it. I've got a set of their 7" round retrofits but haven't had the chance to install them yet. Those combined with some relays should be pretty nice.

Edit: here we go http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/sealed-beam-conversion-headlamps/4-x6-rectangular-conversion-headlamps/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Stevie Lee posted:

Would it be possible for a bad ABS/wheel speed sensor to gently caress with a Subaru's transmission? (2010 Impreza, automatic)

I took my car to the shop last month to get the transmission looked at after I had the AT Oil Temp light come on along with the check engine light. They thought it was possibly the Transmission Control Module, so they swapped mine for a used one and then my car seemed fine for a few weeks.

What I forgot to tell them the first time I brought it to the shop - because I was so concerned about the transmission light - was that earlier in the day that the AT Oil Temp light originally came on, the ABS light had started flashing as I was going up a hill. It went away after I turned the car off and didn't come back.

Now, that ABS light starts to flash seemingly every other time I go up a long, steady incline. I had it come on three times yesterday, and on that third time I also saw the AT Oil Temp light come back on for the first time since the TCM got swapped out.

The shifting occasionally feels fucky in city driving/at lower speeds, but seems totally fine at highway speeds so far. So could it really be the ABS sensor causing all the issues or am I dreaming?

I know the old Freelander 4x4 system would poo poo itself and pack in if you drove with different sized tyres for too long, iirc it didn't need to be that big of a difference, but I have no real idea if that could be related to your problem

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

You can be assured that cars in open loop (cold) do not use the O2 sensors and unless they hit closed loop and fall on their face the upstream O2 sensor is not the issue.

They definitely can be an issue and are later on with many things, but it's not a clod start thing. You can just unplug them to make sure the ECU isn't doing something stupid, as it should have a fuel map for "no O2 sensor/bad O2 ssensor" which is enough to make it run fine (where "fine" means "pig rich")

It actually does have a canned tune on it that I forgot about. One of these. So not totally stock GM, although I don't think this has anything to do with it. I'll ignore the O2s for now and concentrate on other areas.

IOwnCalculus posted:

LS engines (at least on cars) have a giant plug and sub harness for each bank of coils. It's not hard to remove a whole coil pack and inspect it on the bench instead.

I didn't have enough time / daylight today to yank the plugs and check, but I was able to pull off the affected coil rail so I could bench test it inside. All harness pins are intact, and all tested positive for continuity in the right spots. No visible damage to this at least. I did find one wire under the hood with a bit of insulation missing, but the wire itself is still intact. I will have to research where this one goes.

STR posted:

The main ground is the PCM coil driver (there's also a chassis ground); the coils should always have +12V whenever the ignition switch is on.

This seems useful. But pull the plugs first immediately after starting and running it briefly; if the plugs are wet with gas, then your coils aren't firing. If they're dry, you've got something else going on (maybe injectors or wiring?). It's possible they share some grounds, but there's not much sense in chasing an ignition issue if it's a fuel issue, and vice versa.

e: I'm gonna bug a friend and see if I can get some wiring diagrams for the coils and injectors...

That page is great, thanks for the link. I'll have to drill through that the next time I'm really able to dig into it. Probably won't be until this weekend, but it's also supposed to be in the 90s, plus we have the remnants of Barry passing over us on Thursday which should make everything nice and humid, so I may end up saying gently caress it. I was reading that a single stuck injector can gently caress up the whole bank too, so there's also that to think about. I'll know more when I'm able to pull plugs.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sort of betting on this actually. I have no idea where you live but I have a ton of chipmunks. If your car sat as long as you say wouldn't surprise me. Little effing bastards.

Got a noid light kit?

Not many chipmunks, but squirrels everywhere. I haven't found any rodents (or signs of them) in this car yet, but a couple years ago I did find a small pile of acorns in the trunk of one of the Subarus. I don't have a noid light yet, but this is the perfect excuse to buy one. Ordering one tonight. Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'll be sure to post up the solution if I ever figure it out :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My car is in good condition and has been waxed before, but I've started to notice water marks on the finish. I'd like to keep on top of it so I'm wondering what to do - I assume cleaning and re-waxing?

Is there a realistic guide for cleaning and waxing (presumably) a car I can follow? I've got hardstanding, a hose and a cordless drill.

EDIT: there are a load of cash-only carwash places in car-parks/etc. around here and lots of expensive cars end up being washed in them, but basically the finish on this MG is really nice and I'd really rather not have it dulled down somehow.... Would be about £15 for their 'top link' service

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 16, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

simplefish posted:

I know the old Freelander 4x4 system would poo poo itself and pack in if you drove with different sized tyres for too long, iirc it didn't need to be that big of a difference, but I have no real idea if that could be related to your problem

yes subaru's do not like differently worn tires. HAve you recently replaced only 1 or 2 tires and you have older worn tires somewhere else? This makes the AWD go wonky because wheel speeds are not in sync.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

tater_salad posted:

yes subaru's do not like differently worn tires. Have you recently replaced only 1 or 2 tires and you have older worn tires somewhere else? This makes the AWD go wonky because wheel speeds are not in sync.

I actually just replaced all four tires because I had terrible luck with the General RT43s I put on less than two years ago. About four months after I got those, one of them was damaged in an accident after someone tried to change lanes/turn through my car. State Farm would only replace that single tire, and the shop claimed the others were still within tolerance of the new tire. I had two more go flat since then, so I decided to toss all of them and put some new yokohamas on it.

Maybe that accident hosed me up more than they claimed...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hmm the accident may have messed stuff up with your AWD system / ABS system. if your ABS light is going on it's possible somethign is messed up with your wheel speed sensor, this may also be fing with your AWD system.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
word, thanks. I'll definitely mention that when I bring it to the shop next week

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

word, thanks. I'll definitely mention that when I bring it to the shop next week

Something like
"I got into an accident as a driver dammaged my x (Driver/ Passenger front/back) side which resulted in a tire needing to be replaced. I've recently been having issues with my ABS light and Transmission fluid temperature lights coming on, so that may be related)"

Others may have other ideas but the fact that your AWD system is having issues and your ABS is also having issues kind of points to an issue related to a disparity in wheel speed / bad wheel speed sensor.

Krasniy Prospekt
Oct 25, 2006
Hey,
Got a 2001 Honda CRV AWD. B20Z2 Engine with 248k miles. Manual transmission.

About a month ago I notice the engine struggling/stalling when idling and under load (turning, AC running, ETC). No codes or CEL. I gave the car a tune up (new plugs, leads, rotor/cap, ignition coil) and checked my valve clearances. All good, however the improvement in performance was negligible. I started to suspect the Idle Air Control valve. I replaced the valve and my idle got extremely worse. It no longer stalled, but it started bouncing. Anytime I had the car in neutral of the clutch engaged, the engine will repeatedly rev from around 1000rpm up to 2000rpm, back and forth with the increase taking roughly a second. I suspected I had purchased a faulty air control and returned it and bought a slightly more expensive one. The issue continued. No codes or CEL were being thrown at this point.

Everything I read online pointed towards air in the cooling system. I bought a purging funnel and purged the cooling system with the front of the car elevated to where the radiator cap was the highest point in the system. I rand the car at around 2000rpm and had the heat selected on like everyone said to while doing this. I did this twice, for about 20 minutes each time. I had a few air bubbles come up, but not much. The idle continue to surge, but now something new is happening. When I start the car, it will idle high (around 1800 rpm) and steady for about a minute. As the car warms up, the idle will start to bounce between 1000-2000rpm. As I drive the car more, it will eventually reach a point where the idle will fall HARD to about 1200rpm. It will bounce between about 1200-1300rpm EXTREMELY quickly. It's like a wavering bounce. Anytime I engage the clutch, or let off the gas, the revs will fall HARD and quickly to this point. When in gear and running, the engine runs normally, but like I said, will fall hard if I let off the gas or engage the clutch. The CEL light has now come on and is throwing a P0505 code Idle Air Control System.

I'm completely out of ideas. I've checked the wires and continuity of the IAC, in addition to every other thing I could think of idle-wise. I would appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
2008 Chevrolet express 2500 cargo van.

Is there any way to upgrade the blower motor and blower wheel so that my my ac and heat feel like more than an asthmatic toddler wheezing on me? I can replace the whole motor and wheel for $25-75 from rock auto but I feel like it’s always been weak, so what I really want to do is upgrade it. Any ideas?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

Hey,

Probably not the case here, but I had something similar once that turned out to be a weird crack in the air intake that opened up when the car was idling somehow. I'd check for that since it's easy to look for. Unlikely to be the culprit though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hello, friends!

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna van. I purchased it last fall after a dipshit slammed into the back of my truck while I was sitting in traffic.
I discovered that at some point over the winter/spring that the A/C stopped working.

It will blow cold when the engine is cold, but will start blowing progressively hotter air. My initial research led to a guy having the same symptoms that claimed that replacing his failing thermostat fixed it.

Well, it did not fix the problem. Got the new one in, and drive it around the block. Nope, cuts out. Tried it again, it lasted a bit longer.
Then one day, drat thing worked , more or less, fine all day. Next day, wouldn't even blow cold.

Now, that IS an issue,but while messing with it, I hosed something else up worse:

While checking the relays (as I was checking to see if it was the A/C Clutch relay) I sorta, kinda, shorted out a relay and now all the fans are dead.
No radiator fans, no internal fans. The whole A/C console area is dead.
I tried swapping relays, nada. Went and bought a new fan relay. Nada.
Could not find any blown fuses. Both the box in the engine bay, and the 2 behind the glove box.

The SRA/Airbag light and the Battery (Alternator) Light is lit up on the dash now,though I've been driving the van, so seems to still be charging the battery.

Headlights/interior lights still work. Hazards, Turn Signals, radio all work.
The only code that is being produced is that my Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 is low (which I've known about, just haven't gotten to it)

Any speculation is appreciated, as I am at a loss.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

Hey,

About a month ago I notice the engine struggling/stalling when idling and under load (turning, AC running, ETC). No codes or CEL. I gave the car a tune up (new plugs, leads, rotor/cap, ignition coil) and checked my valve clearances. All good, however the improvement in performance was negligible. I started to suspect the Idle Air Control valve. I replaced the valve and my idle got extremely worse. It no longer stalled, but it started bouncing. Anytime I had the car in neutral of the clutch engaged, the engine will repeatedly rev from around 1000rpm up to 2000rpm, back and forth with the increase taking roughly a second. I suspected I had purchased a faulty air control and returned it and bought a slightly more expensive one. The issue continued. No codes or CEL were being thrown at this point.

Everything I read online pointed towards air in the cooling system. I bought a purging funnel and purged the cooling system with the front of the car elevated to where the radiator cap was the highest point in the system. I rand the car at around 2000rpm and had the heat selected on like everyone said to while doing this. I did this twice, for about 20 minutes each time. I had a few air bubbles come up, but not much. The idle continue to surge, but now something new is happening. When I start the car, it will idle high (around 1800 rpm) and steady for about a minute. As the car warms up, the idle will start to bounce between 1000-2000rpm. As I drive the car more, it will eventually reach a point where the idle will fall HARD to about 1200rpm. It will bounce between about 1200-1300rpm EXTREMELY quickly. It's like a wavering bounce. Anytime I engage the clutch, or let off the gas, the revs will fall HARD and quickly to this point. When in gear and running, the engine runs normally, but like I said, will fall hard if I let off the gas or engage the clutch. The CEL light has now come on and is throwing a P0505 code Idle Air Control System.

I'm completely out of ideas. I've checked the wires and continuity of the IAC, in addition to every other thing I could think of idle-wise. I would appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks!

You're gonna have to check everything related to air and air metering. You'll want to check the MAP sensor for one (not MAF; B's don't have one), and every gasket past the throttle body, every vacuum line, booster, the works (pain in the rear end, I know). You might pop the resonator off the top of the intake and check out that gasket, it might be bone dry and leaking air bigtime. Best way to do all the leak checking would be a smoke machine in the intake/throttle body.

Also, even with no code, you could have a marginal EGR valve, so check that. Did you notice any pending codes when you saw the P0505?

Sorry man, these sorts of issues are a bitch if it isn't the IACV.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

Hey,

You have a large vacuum leak somewhere - Hondas do that weird 1k-2k bounce when the engine speed goes up higher than what the ECU wants (the ECU is cutting fuel to drop it back down). That model year should only have a few vacuum lines - check your brake booster vacuum line. Also, clean your throttle body, and if your bleed screw isn't covered on it, try turning it way in (it'll be facing you when you look at the throttle body from where the intake hose connects, but some models have them covered - if it's uncovered, it's a large flat head screw).

Beach Bum nailed the rest, but the first thing to check is the brake booster and vacuum line.

Johnny Aztec posted:

The SRA/Airbag light and the Battery (Alternator) Light is lit up on the dash now,though I've been driving the van, so seems to still be charging the battery.

You popped one of the big rear end fuses in the underhood fuse panel (I don't mean the little ones you can pull with a fuse puller or pliers).

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Girlfriend has a 2008 Hyundai Accent GS. The other day she was driving home from work and the car just died on her at an intersection and she couldn't get it running again. Had it towed to our regular shop, and they when they got around to it, the car started up right away with no issues. The pulled the last codes and got P0337 and P0339: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low and Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent. They said it was weird because those aren't Hyundai codes. They said there wasn't much they could really do because it never happened to them while they drove it around and they couldn't replicate it.

A few days later, we were driving somewhere together, and the car started sputtering. She said it was the same kind of thing that happened the first time. You could feel the car kind of jerk when it did it and the CEL would come on for a second before shutting back off. We decided to head back home so we weren't stranded, and while driving the CEL came on and stayed on.

I used my reader and got the same codes. I tried replacing the crankshaft position sensor. This was on Sunday, and drove it around for a while. The issue never came back, and since then my girlfriend hasn't reported any recurrence of the problem. HOWEVER, when I first tried starting the car after changing the crankshaft position sensor, it took the car a while to start. I shut it off and turned it back on, and the same thing happened. That's when I drove it around for about 20 minutes to see if I could replicate the original problem. When I got back to the apartment, I turned it off, and tried turning it back on, and it started immediately.

But, my girlfriend is telling me that every time she has started it with the engine cold, it takes a while before the engine turns over. Is there anything I could have done that would be causing this? This has never been an issue before.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mammal Sauce posted:

2011 Toyota Highlander - not that it matters...

So a friend was giving away a partial pallet of pavers and I ran over to his house to pick them up. Knocked off a few ants and crickets, but when I got about 3/4 through them, they became damp and...roaches. So I left the rest and bailed.

What can I do in the case there are any in the car? I threw the tarp away that they were on and have been tempted to set the car on fire or drive it into the retention pond, but both are probably against HOA.

Can you bug bomb a car? Any other options? Am I flipping out about nothing?

Roaches? I wouldn't take any chances.

A few years back, an insured's house I inspected turned out to be very densely infested with fleas (she'd lock her dog in her damp & dark basement for at least 10-hours/day). I wound up with thousands of them on me & throughout my car.

I bombed the car with a Raid Fumigator. Never saw another (I also took an alcohol shower in my driveway before going in the house, and threw all of my clothes in the car with my briefcae & equipment, including my company laptop, before I bombed it)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Raid-Fumigating-Foggers-3-Pack-61528/100034648

Uses dry smoke. Everything was fine. Leaves you car smelling springtime fresh!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Girlfriend has a 2008 Hyundai Accent GS. The other day she was driving home from work and the car just died on her at an intersection and she couldn't get it running again. Had it towed to our regular shop, and they when they got around to it, the car started up right away with no issues. The pulled the last codes and got P0337 and P0339: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low and Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent. They said it was weird because those aren't Hyundai codes. They said there wasn't much they could really do because it never happened to them while they drove it around and they couldn't replicate it.

A few days later, we were driving somewhere together, and the car started sputtering. She said it was the same kind of thing that happened the first time. You could feel the car kind of jerk when it did it and the CEL would come on for a second before shutting back off. We decided to head back home so we weren't stranded, and while driving the CEL came on and stayed on.

I used my reader and got the same codes. I tried replacing the crankshaft position sensor. This was on Sunday, and drove it around for a while. The issue never came back, and since then my girlfriend hasn't reported any recurrence of the problem. HOWEVER, when I first tried starting the car after changing the crankshaft position sensor, it took the car a while to start. I shut it off and turned it back on, and the same thing happened. That's when I drove it around for about 20 minutes to see if I could replicate the original problem. When I got back to the apartment, I turned it off, and tried turning it back on, and it started immediately.

But, my girlfriend is telling me that every time she has started it with the engine cold, it takes a while before the engine turns over. Is there anything I could have done that would be causing this? This has never been an issue before.

That has more than one problem. The crank position sensor was a good move. The not starting when cold I'm going for a fuel pump.

(bad drainback valve)

Does anyone know if cycling the key will make the fuel pump run on this so I don't have to get into fuel pressure tests?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wondering if it is like some GM models and the CKS needs to be calibrated.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
My wife's 2003 toyota avalon was parked on the street last night, near where a fire hydrant was opened and water got in to her car. Only the passenger side got wet, and all the electronics on the doors still work. Her radio still turns on. However, there is no sound. Even if the speakers on the passenger side door got waterlogged, shouldn't the other ones still play?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Did any water get in the car? The amplifier for the stereo is under the passenger seat, if it has the premium system (JBL). Most 2nd gen Avalons I've seen do have the premium stereo (it'll say JBL on the dash speakers).

If water did get into the car, even a little bit (feel the carpet around the passenger doors, if it's even a little damp then there's a good bit of water under the carpet), there's a good chance the amp got fried. Let it dry out a day or two, but you'll probably need to replace the amp. Search eBay for 86280-AC043, that's the Toyota part number for it. It's easy to replace (... once you remove the seat anyway, and you'll have to disconnect the battery before doing that - a lot are optioned with side impact air bags that are housed in the seats).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Oh no, a LOT of water got in, and definitely in that area. I'll let it fully dry out over the weekend and then get the part, thank you (It is JBL).