Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

COOL CORN posted:

If it's better than 31 that's literally the only bar I'm hoping it surmounts.

It looks like the best parts of Devil's Rejects and the worst parts of everything else Rob Zombie has ever directed. It's going to be a cluster gently caress of a poo poo show and I'm going to watch it in theaters unless it's direct-to-video.

It'll get watched no matter what, gently caress it. I'm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
31 is actually a really convenient film because by far the best part of the entire movie is frontloaded in the first 5 or so minutes and you can shut it off immediately and not miss a thing.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Basebf555 posted:

Much like the Fermi Paradox, I often wonder if there are other little quiet corners of the internet where small groups of horror nerds discuss things like we do here and we just aren't aware of each other's existence.

I am awake odd hours, and usually just lurk here, but sometimes I wake up and there's been 0 new posts since I went to bed. I'm gonna say from my experience, it's nothing but regurgitated garbage or just bad opinions out there. Even the hot takes aren't interesting, and I end up feeling like I'm rereading some old cracked article. Although, in the last page or so, people have said that Riverdale is Trash, Riverdale is Very Good, and the same with Sabrina. I'm sure in the end if I watch either, I'll attribute my feelings towards whoever said what I agreed with, so maybe there's just some confirmation bias to go with the mutual respect here?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Some thoughts on Brightburn:

The problem I have with Brightburn is the same problem I had with the first Purge movie: it's an interesting premise, but the movie ends before it actually gets to the good stuff.

In the first Purge movie I really didn't want to be stuck inside a house with a boring upper class white family being stalked by other boring upper class white people in masks, I wanted to be out on the streets watching all the crazy crime stuff the movie had talked about. Likewise, in Brightburn, I really didn't need to spend the entire run time of the movie watching this kid becoming evil Superman, just skid ahead a bit and show more of him BEING evil Superman. If you've seen the trailer for Brightburn then you've seen the whole movie. There's a kid, he has powers, he kills people, the show ends. It's not a bad horror movie per say, but it has the potential to do so many more interesting things with its premise that I could't help feeling a little disappointed that they kept things so small and basic. The origin story of Evil Superman didn't need to be told for an hour and a half, it could have been compressed down into the first 10 minutes (Hell, they managed to tell it all in a one minute trailer) of the movie and then moved on to focus on things like Evil Superman taking over cities, The Evil Justice League, and maybe even a Good Lex Luther and what that would be like.

I'm hoping if Brightburn gets any sequels (which James Gunn has expressed interest in doing) that it heads in the same direction The Purge series went. Every Purge since the first one has been balls to the walls insane and has fully capitalized on the world and premise it set up. So in exchange for one kind of mediocre set up movie you get three great action-horror movies. All the slow burning backstory is over, lets see Evil Superman making schemes and fighting the good bizzaro version of himself now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I didn't really like Climax when I first saw it but on a rewatch, it does a few things really well. The sound design is exquisite, and those screams get right inside your brain, and it almost makes me retroactively mad that more horror directors don't use Aphex Twin for their scores.

I also really like what the dance choreography conveys. The movements during the more horrific parts are evocative of things like The Exorcist and Ringu to me, and are so central to the film that it almost makes me think that Noe came up with that idea and those scenes first, then wrote a paper-thin plot around them.

It's a terrifying and disturbing experience, for sure, but it's kind of the opposite of an Aster film because it neither asks nor inspires you to think much about it after the credits roll. I'm also pretty over Noe's spinning camera gimmicks, even though they're probably more appropriate in Climax than any of his other films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Some thoughts on Brightburn:

The problem I have with Brightburn is the same problem I had with the first Purge movie: it's an interesting premise, but the movie ends before it actually gets to the good stuff.

In the first Purge movie I really didn't want to be stuck inside a house with a boring upper class white family being stalked by other boring upper class white people in masks, I wanted to be out on the streets watching all the crazy crime stuff the movie had talked about. Likewise, in Brightburn, I really didn't need to spend the entire run time of the movie watching this kid becoming evil Superman, just skid ahead a bit and show more of him BEING evil Superman. If you've seen the trailer for Brightburn then you've seen the whole movie. There's a kid, he has powers, he kills people, the show ends. It's not a bad horror movie per say, but it has the potential to do so many more interesting things with its premise that I could't help feeling a little disappointed that they kept things so small and basic. The origin story of Evil Superman didn't need to be told for an hour and a half, it could have been compressed down into the first 10 minutes (Hell, they managed to tell it all in a one minute trailer) of the movie and then moved on to focus on things like Evil Superman taking over cities, The Evil Justice League, and maybe even a Good Lex Luther and what that would be like.

I'm hoping if Brightburn gets any sequels (which James Gunn has expressed interest in doing) that it heads in the same direction The Purge series went. Every Purge since the first one has been balls to the walls insane and has fully capitalized on the world and premise it set up. So in exchange for one kind of mediocre set up movie you get three great action-horror movies. All the slow burning backstory is over, lets see Evil Superman making schemes and fighting the good bizzaro version of himself now.

I think if you take the idea of evil superman away from the small and personal it quickly becomes more like a dystopian sci fi premise or just a particularly depressing standard superhero movie, and no longer horror.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The thing about Climax is the same problem I have with a lot of other "psychedelics gone wrong" horror movies: IT DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD ENOUGH USE OF THE PREMISE. Bad trips or scary drug experiences are some of the most terrifying things we as humans can experience and a film-maker like Noe, who we know for his crazy noise effects (like the sub-human hearing noises during Irreversible) and nauseating camerawork could have done so much more. It's not that he did a BAD job, it's a great movie and definitely worth checking out, but I just expected more from him.

The dancing, choreography, and music were all very impressive though, and while it does venture towards some truly disturbing parts I thought the kid being dosed with acid then locked in the closet was a fantastic horror moment, that really was a "OH gently caress" moment as a viewer there was a lot more he could have done. It could have gone really off-the-wall batshit crazy but it didn't. I also wished he used more distorted visual and audio effects, there were a few good ones but I wish he had made the VIEWER feel like they were dosed, instead I felt like a sober viewer watching a bunch of hosed up people which isn't as interesting.

Don't get me wrong, these are my critiques but it's still definitely worth watching and a pretty drat good movie. The performances are excellent, it has some of the best dancing I've ever seen in a movie, really creative, and it's still a good Noe movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I think if you take the idea of evil superman away from the small and personal it quickly becomes more like a dystopian sci fi premise or just a particularly depressing standard superhero movie, and no longer horror.

Yeah man I liked Chronicle too, shame about its screenwriter being what happens when you have the ultimate helicopter parent

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Landis helicopter parent jokes are starting to get old

Unlike the children he killed

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I need to finally watch some Gaspar Noé

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

I need to finally watch some Gaspar Noé

I Stand Alone is one of two movies I refuse to ever watch again, its not particularly violent its just so nihilistic and hateful and empty of any positivity at all.

The other is Trouble Every Day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

The thing about Climax is the same problem I have with a lot of other "psychedelics gone wrong" horror movies: IT DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD ENOUGH USE OF THE PREMISE. Bad trips or scary drug experiences are some of the most terrifying things we as humans can experience and a film-maker like Noe, who we know for his crazy noise effects (like the sub-human hearing noises during Irreversible) and nauseating camerawork could have done so much more.

Yeah I'd agree with this. If you bought a ticket or paid for a rental or clicked on this movie on the promise of "Gaspar Noe makes an acid movie" it's hard to imagine being anything but disappointed with Climax. On its own merits it's pretty good, but Midsommar did 'bad trip' way better than Climax did.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FreudianSlippers posted:

John Landis helicopter parent jokes are starting to get old

Unlike the children he killed

:perfect:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That 3 From Hell trailer looks really bad. And I don’t even mean the movie looks bad, I mean the trailer is edited together like poo poo.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lurdiak posted:

Dying or not he's like 600 years old.

Considering his career's long enough to've worked Lon Chaney Jr., he's pretty much titled horror gentry at this point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I started my evening watching One Cut of the Dead. It was incredibly entertaining.

I thought, "well everyone's talking about Climax, I'll check that out too". I think I need to go to the ER from the tonal whiplash I just experienced.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I'd agree with this. If you bought a ticket or paid for a rental or clicked on this movie on the promise of "Gaspar Noe makes an acid movie" it's hard to imagine being anything but disappointed with Climax. On its own merits it's pretty good, but Midsommar did 'bad trip' way better than Climax did.

I get that point, but honestly I'm glad that Gaspar Noé shows the reactions of the people and used the camerawork/music to give it all a sense of panic, as opposed to using effects to make the viewer feel like they're tripping. It has a more helpless, voyeuristic feel that way, which I think is something Gaspar Noé does really well (e.g. the tunnel scene from Irréversible.) It's like watching a nightmare play out, but you're watching it happen to someone else. This movie gave me a very similar feeling to the feeling you get from being around someone having a bad drug experience and not being able to do anything about it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

That 3 From Hell trailer looks really bad. And I don’t even mean the movie looks bad, I mean the trailer is edited together like poo poo.

Yeah I dunno, I'm not sure I'd have any idea what it was about looking at that trailer, if I didn't watch the last one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was really hoping 3 From Hell would be about them escaping literal hell and having to evade the demons sent out to bring them back

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Scrap all that other dog poo poo and just make a movie about those Lucha Gangsters

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Scrap all that other dog poo poo and just make a movie about those Lucha Gangsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woIwA1SXsM4

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Welp, know what I'm watching this weekend.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just finished sitting through Knife + Heart. I'm still wrapping my mind around everything. I absolutely LOVED how they worked the colors in this, it was gorgeous to see. What few flaws I saw were so minor they didn't pull me out of the story. It's the first time in a while I've seen a modern giallo hit all the right points so well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gently caress yeah i loved Knife + Heart

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just finished Climax and man I think I'm getting too old for Noe's schtick. It's an experience, I'll give it that. It isn't bad, and I don't regret watching it, but eh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

The thing about Climax is the same problem I have with a lot of other "psychedelics gone wrong" horror movies: IT DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD ENOUGH USE OF THE PREMISE. Bad trips or scary drug experiences are some of the most terrifying things we as humans can experience and a film-maker like Noe, who we know for his crazy noise effects (like the sub-human hearing noises during Irreversible) and nauseating camerawork could have done so much more. It's not that he did a BAD job, it's a great movie and definitely worth checking out, but I just expected more from him.

The dancing, choreography, and music were all very impressive though, and while it does venture towards some truly disturbing parts I thought the kid being dosed with acid then locked in the closet was a fantastic horror moment, that really was a "OH gently caress" moment as a viewer there was a lot more he could have done. It could have gone really off-the-wall batshit crazy but it didn't. I also wished he used more distorted visual and audio effects, there were a few good ones but I wish he had made the VIEWER feel like they were dosed, instead I felt like a sober viewer watching a bunch of hosed up people which isn't as interesting.

Don't get me wrong, these are my critiques but it's still definitely worth watching and a pretty drat good movie. The performances are excellent, it has some of the best dancing I've ever seen in a movie, really creative, and it's still a good Noe movie.

That was explicitly his intention:

quote:

While he had also featured drugs in previous films, Noé decided to have a different approach in Climax: "I didn’t want to do any visual or sound effects to reproduce the feeling you are having when you’re on drugs. I thought it would be funny to do it the other way, like shoot almost documentary style with long cuts, seeing how the effects of drugs and alcohol are experienced, how its seen from the outside. Like how it all shows and not how it feels." He also let the cast free to have their characters react to LSD in whichever way they preferred, as people can react very differently to it in real life: "There were all quite keen to get to the second part of the shoot, with the drugs and everything going crazy. I showed them all these videos; people high on LSD, mushrooms, crack, whatever. Then after I asked each one how they would want to portray their own craziness."

Source Source

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Knife + Heart is real good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

That was explicitly his intention:

Source Source

Oh tight, for once I picked up on the director's intention as I was watching! It's such a good movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
3 from Hell lookin' pretty good, I reckon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4H89rSFUtk

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

K. Waste posted:

3 from Hell lookin' pretty good, I reckon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4H89rSFUtk

The screen cap (whatever it’s called before you hit play) screams Rob Zombie.

I haven’t clicked it yet I’m just posting this as a guess and will update.

E: Yep, dude’s style is unmistakeable.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

That was explicitly his intention

That doesn't change it for me, I get what he was going for but I still would have preferred if he went the "viewer is hallucinating" too route. Noe still did a good job tho its a great movie.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Climax felt extremely real to me as it was.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just saw Midsommar and mostly really liked it. Way more than Hereditary. It's got a mood.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Just saw Midsommar and mostly really liked it. Way more than Hereditary. It's got a mood.

I much prefer Midsommar. I'm seeing it again tonight, this time with friends.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

That doesn't change it for me, I get what he was going for but I still would have preferred if he went the "viewer is hallucinating" too route. Noe still did a good job tho its a great movie.

Snack Bitch posted:

Climax felt extremely real to me as it was.
I want to thank everyone for explaining there is an extended scene in Climax where everything is normal and you're watching other people pretend to be high, because I forgot what parties in 8th grade were like.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obviously this isn’t an informed criticism or anything but I read the wiki plot summary for Climax and it sounds so silly

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Hereditary definitely hit harder for me but I want to rewatch Midsommar more than I ever wanted to rewatch Hereditary.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought Climax might have been about something, a commentary on class or race or country, maybe narcissism, but nope. Noe says he just wanted to make a movie where dancers dance and then get way too fuckin high.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Obviously this isn’t an informed criticism or anything but I read the wiki plot summary for Climax and it sounds so silly

I realize you’re talking about a more in depth plot summary but this reminded me.

One thing on Netflix and Prime Video that turns me off from a bunch of stuff is their stupid descriptions. But that’s burned me in the past and some movies with the worst descriptions have been really good.

If I go back and read the descriptions on movies I actually love, or movies that are well respected, they are usually all pretty silly and they probably got some intern to write them up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first half of the movie is arguably a comedy. Hell, some of the things in the 2nd half are darkly comedic.

I think it's scarier if you're afraid of drugs or have had a bad trip before. It's not nearly as brutal other Noe films, and now that I know where/how far it goes, I think a rewatch will be lighter and allow for more of the dark comedy to hit.

There's still some rough stuff, though. I was really freaked out by the pregnant girl having a mental breakdown and cutting/stabbing herself while everyone she knows screams at her to kill herself. Absolutely horrific. I was genuinely relieved to read that she survives, despite how hosed things are for her.

edit: Also, the script was six pages long and the film was heavily improvised by the actors, with them having the freedom to create their characters stories.

Origami Dali posted:

I thought Climax might have been about something, a commentary on class or race or country, maybe narcissism, but nope. Noe says he just wanted to make a movie where dancers dance and then get way too fuckin high.

That's a bit simplistic. There is commentary. It's chaos theory. Something could go wrong and it did go wrong. You're watching a society collapse because their inhibitions are lowered, or are made paranoid. There is class warfare. Four of the black men team up together and start assaulting people. They beat up a white kid and draw a swastika on his face. A gay man is told that he is worthless and his needs are pointless to the others because he comes from wealth while the others had to work hard to get in the troupe. There's plenty to dig into if you want to.

quote:

He stated that the film was "all about people creating something together, and failing in the second half. It’s like the [biblical] story of the Tower of Babel. Mankind can create big things. And then with the influence of alcohol, or some accident, everything falls.
In another interview, he claimed that the theme of the film was "a group [of] people creating something together and then collapsing."[7] Noé, who had experience using LSD, claimed that the film was more about the impact fear can have on people than it was about drug abuse.[11][8] He also denied that the film had any kind of moral agenda, pointing out that "It is not necessarily the most aggressive ones that get punished. It's mostly about a collective screw-up."[12]

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Origami Dali posted:

That's a bit of a stretch of Noe's very modest statements as an artist, which is that he was more or less just interested in making a film about dancers, where dance is the primary visual focus. And that's the movie he made.

As for "commentary," the movie literally contains an opening title that says "A FRENCH FILM - AND PROUD OF IT." It's ostensibly Noe's idea of a patriotic declaration albeit one that has a very loose, porous idea of what it means to be "French" in the contemporary sense, similar to how the soundtrack itself and Noe's explicitly referenced cinematic influences are international in scope.