Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stout shield no longer stacking is a bummer. More dumb defensive strats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

everything sucks and is bad

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

http://midasmode.com/

Midas mode will return and they're using indiegogo to sell the map and other perks.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-million-dollar-midas-mode-project#/

Slacks can be grating but this is an interesting idea, if they actually get a person to be Roshan in VR that'd be amazing. And of course everyone hopes that this will happen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

It's happening, they did the first round last week

https://liquipedia.net/dota2/Bot_TI/2019
http://fantasy.bts.gg/

VV whoops mb

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 16, 2019

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

I meant for that night

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I just remember the first Midas Mode tournament, where randoming gave moonbucks so the better teams just randomed and figured out a way to win anyway.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Was the first Midas Mode a fun watch? I was excited for it but then it got delayed and I lost track and never ended up watching it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Incoherence posted:

I just remember the first Midas Mode tournament, where randoming gave moonbucks so the better teams just randomed and figured out a way to win anyway.

It was fun because of how annoyed people got about it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

emdash posted:

everything sucks and is bad

I have no idea why you’re even surprised

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My buddy voted riki and I was baffled, but he made a good point that they'd have to affect the abilities or something since he's never actually visible. I always vote for the arcana that I think would be the most challenging to make, usually because they have multiple models or are weird (Io, Tiny, LD). That and I try to slightly favor chars with decent wardrobes already.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I vote for the hottest babe awwooooo

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
the 1 arcana a year is the most baffling thing to me. terhes like 200 heroes, and u make 1 a year?? doesnt valve like free money? wtf

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

They often release new heroes with arcana, so it's more like one a year for the old ones. And I think they did Io as well as the Jugg that year because jugg was easy and Io was popular (rigged vote for suuurrreeee). But yah, I think that still means they have enough tourneys for the next 100yrs.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 17, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's 2 per year minimum if they keep doing the BP reward arcana (io, earthshaker), which they almost certainly will. So yeah, 103 heroes "need" arcanas, it would take 50 years to do them all at the current pace

they haven't released an arcana with a hero since Monkey in December 2016 (Pango, Willow, Grim, Mars do not have Arcanas) and they haven't released an arcana out of the blue (not for vote, hero release, or battlepass) since Feb 2015 with the CM arcana

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 17, 2019

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

emdash posted:

It's 2 per year minimum if they keep doing the BP reward arcana (io, earthshaker), which they almost certainly will. So yeah, 103 heroes "need" arcanas, it would take 50 years to do them all at the current pace

they haven't released an arcana with a hero since Monkey in December 2016 (Pango, Willow, Grim, Mars do not have Arcanas) and they haven't released an arcana out of the blue (not for vote, hero release, or battlepass) since Feb 2015 with the CM arcana

Midas Mode 2 will require more work on Dota 2 than Valve has put in in the past 3 years.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/SirActionSlacks/status/1151522348685676544

lmaooooo

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Someone's doing the Lord's work.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

that seems like it owns but i dont know what it means

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

that seems like it owns but i dont know what it means

http://dotaconcept.com/hero/766 loving educate yourself

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wonder what they're doing to allow for custom models and map edits and stuff? Possible just running a custom game mode in the Arcade? Because man I'd like to get in on the work of making meme hero models

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

God I miss burga boy

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

bitch I’m familiar but what does it mean in Midas mode is it like any time WD is picked he has that skin or something

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

bitch I’m familiar but what does it mean in Midas mode is it like any time WD is picked he has that skin or something

It's the perk below "Items : tier A"

Dota 2 Heroes

$1,250 USD

Rename and have us customize any of the 117 heroes for pro-players to play for the entirety of Betway Midas Mode 2! Whether it be an old meme or a simple picture of your face, we want your ideas on how to customize your hero! First come first served

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

loving yes

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's the perk below "Items : tier A"

Dota 2 Heroes

$1,250 USD

Rename and have us customize any of the 117 heroes for pro-players to play for the entirety of Betway Midas Mode 2! Whether it be an old meme or a simple picture of your face, we want your ideas on how to customize your hero! First come first served

MM. Now that I understand, this does in fact own

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sugar free jazz posted:

schmitty9800 posted:

http://midasmode.com/

Midas mode will return and they're using indiegogo to sell the map and other perks.

Slacks can be grating but this is an interesting idea, if they actually get a person to be Roshan in VR that'd be amazing. And of course everyone hopes that this will happen

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

God I miss burga boy

I'm glad Oopsy Axe Diaper is real with the 2019 compendium axe immortal IMO

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently there is random tier dota happening at
https://liquipedia.net/dota2/World_Cyber_Games/2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

lurksion posted:

Apparently there is random tier dota happening at
https://liquipedia.net/dota2/World_Cyber_Games/2019

This is the tournament that has each country represented by a team, so right now it's Germany v China.

Fun fact, China is just CDEC. Team Germany has their team spray as the logo for Royal Never Give Up, who knocked CDEC out of the TI Qualifiers in the finals. They're dropping it all over the ground in fights

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the english stream for it is currently showing warcraft 3 and it's hilarious because they have no real idea whats going on

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
People still play warcraft 3 esports?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Reality Sinner posted:

People still play warcraft 3 esports?

I think its still quite big in China plus the hd remake is coming this year so its probably had a sight resurgence

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you ever visit one of the Chinese twitch wanna-be sites like Douyu or Panda, there's usually a fair number of people playing it.

By the way, if you've never been to one of said websites, you should check it out because man it's wild in there

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
I tried playing this game for the first time a few days ago and whoooweeee steep learning curve it seems. I found myself sitting in the middle of the map looking through the menu of a hundred different little items half the time. Can you be successful at this game just by following one of the simpler item guides?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

hahayup posted:

I tried playing this game for the first time a few days ago and whoooweeee steep learning curve it seems. I found myself sitting in the middle of the map looking through the menu of a hundred different little items half the time. Can you be successful at this game just by following one of the simpler item guides?

yes, any of the guides by ImmortalFaith, DotaAlchemy, or TorteDeLini are good

a lot of good video for newbies on YouTube too. Check the Day9 Learns Dota series with Purge

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.

emdash posted:

yes, any of the guides by ImmortalFaith, DotaAlchemy, or TorteDeLini are good

a lot of good video for newbies on YouTube too. Check the Day9 Learns Dota series with Purge

awesome thanks, i'll check out that youtube series.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

hahayup posted:

If you're just learning the game, I'm not sure if you've tried Turbo mode or not, but that's one of the things I'd actually not advise people to try. It's going to give you a totally weird sense for how the game works that will be really difficult to adjust to if you go into regular games that are a lot longer and function completely differently. On the flipside though, if you never really care about playing ranked or anything and just want to play for fun (as much fun as you can have in a strictly competitive game, anyways), you could consider only playing turbo and never branching out into the regular game mode, because it's way more time intensive and way more toxic.

On the same note, don't spend too much time playing against bots. Practicing heroes is fine but you're going to get a bad sense of how people actually play the game. Bot's are beyond just training wheels mode, even on the highest difficulty setting. It's like playing chess against someone who doesn't use knights at all.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're just learning the game, I'm not sure if you've tried Turbo mode or not, but that's one of the things I'd actually not advise people to try. It's going to give you a totally weird sense for how the game works that will be really difficult to adjust to if you go into regular games that are a lot longer and function completely differently. On the flipside though, if you never really care about playing ranked or anything and just want to play for fun (as much fun as you can have in a strictly competitive game, anyways), you could consider only playing turbo and never branching out into the regular game mode, because it's way more time intensive and way more toxic.

On the same note, don't spend too much time playing against bots. Practicing heroes is fine but you're going to get a bad sense of how people actually play the game. Bot's are beyond just training wheels mode, even on the highest difficulty setting. It's like playing chess against someone who doesn't use knights at all.
It sort of depends on what you're trying to learn. Bot matches and Turbo matches give you somewhat of a sense of what the heroes and items do, which is an important factor, but the game flow is very different and not reflective of the main game mode, and the game balance is noticeably different.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

An interesting inversion of this story is that I've tried to play League with very little regularity for the last like...year or so, but it's really hard to really get a solid understanding of what each hero does because you can't play as them. I had to 1v1 against Riven I think her name is? and I still have no idea what she does. Dota even has tooltips saying "hey if you're having trouble against a certain hero, pick that hero so you can figure out what it's bad at" and that's for definitely true. There used to be a ton of hype around the all-hero challenge, and it's kind of sad that that's been dropping in favor of compendium challenges that require you to buy-in, because those sorts of incentives are great for new players to try all the heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Don't play dota