Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If there's one thing I trust Chibnall on it's that he will redesign things when they show up again. Maybe I'll be proven wrong soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently this is the Dalek from the NY special. It’s a new style one, but painted silver with blue bumps like a Hartnell classic.

I...hate that a lot less than when they were yellow and red and poo poo?

I dunno. It's a step in the right direction, at least from a distance.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Latest rumblings are that the picture is actually fake, for what it's worth.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"HEARTBREAKING - Dalek has to take on warehouse job to make ends meet"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

"HEARTBREAKING - Dalek has to take on warehouse job to make ends meet"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-12-to-feature-climate-change-storyline-91017.htm

This sounds good to me?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who is at its best with heavy handed political messages, tbh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m more looking forward to an environmental story than a story about the Holocaust.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

cargohills posted:

If there's one thing I trust Chibnall on it's that he will redesign things when they show up again. Maybe I'll be proven wrong soon!

I don't think we're ready for "Scantily-Clad Weeping Angels"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't think we're ready for "Scantily-Clad Weeping Angels"

In all honesty, most of the redesigns in the Whittaker season seemed competent to me. At most, some stuff was mildly questionable, but I'm certainly more confident that we won't see another misguided sexy take outside of the misguided sexy spin-off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently this is the Dalek from the NY special. It’s a new style one, but painted silver with blue bumps like a Hartnell classic.

This picture has been floating around on the net for years.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

This picture has been floating around on the net for years.

We've already had the special at this point, so I'm pretty sure everyone knows the picture has nothing to do with Whotaker.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

We've already had the special at this point, so I'm pretty sure everyone knows the picture has nothing to do with Whotaker.

Oh. I didn't check the dates. I thought I was replying to something recent about this years special. My bad.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Poor "Colors That Look Cool in B&W" Dalek never catches a break.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
So the rumor is that they're doing Cybermen and Mary Shelley? Not sure how they could do that without stepping on the 8th Doctor audios, short of bringing back McGann.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Emerson Cod posted:

So the rumor is that they're doing Cybermen and Mary Shelley? Not sure how they could do that without stepping on the 8th Doctor audios, short of bringing back McGann.

It's a show about time travel, which had three different explanations for Atlantis in its original run. So the Eight and Mary Shelley stories happen, then something wibbles and wobbles to make them unhappen (maybe the Doctor gets another case of explosive amnesia that makes them forget it happening), and then the Thirteen and Mary Shelley story happens.

Or, despite their often high quality and rare reference within the television series itself the audios are ultimately just licenced merchandise that don't actually "count" and are going to get stepped on when the parent show wants to cover similar ground :shrug:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Honestly I'm just holding out hope that they bring back McGann for a crossover at some point.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Emerson Cod posted:

Honestly I'm just holding out hope that they bring back McGann for a crossover at some point.

I'm absolutely always in favour of that! More televised McGann is always the dream. I just don't have a problem with Doctor Who doing things it's already done before because the show already has a history of contradicting itself and, y'know, time travel. And it's not like my download of The Silver Turk disappears if they do this in series 12 and it's no good.

Ideally we end up with two good, different takes on the "Doctor, Mary Shelley, and Cybermen" idea.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The current rumor is that Chibnall has been fired from the show.

Now, this seems like tabloid nonsense to me with a heavy dose of wishful thinking on part of those that really disliked Chibnall's run so far, but the topic is all but dead and might as well have something to discuss.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The current rumor is that Chibnall has been fired from the show.

Now, this seems like tabloid nonsense to me with a heavy dose of wishful thinking on part of those that really disliked Chibnall's run so far, but the topic is all but dead and might as well have something to discuss.

Hopefully not, now that Chibnall has put his framework in place I'm really hoping they can play with the characters to have some fun with series 12.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pack it in, boys...as Nerdrotic will clearly say, the return of these guys:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-12-filming-confirms-return-of-classic-foe-91094.htm

will no doubt mean the end of Doctor Her, as they are part of the 4 way tie in Killing Doctors (along with Daleks, radiation, and Michael Grade).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Are they reusing the Nightmare in Silver design? I was hoping they'd go for something new with Chibnall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Are they reusing the Nightmare in Silver design? I was hoping they'd go for something new with Chibnall.

Article says the design has been altered to look more fitting to the period. I’m assuming knights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1186947729030860800

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Looks like a mix of the Russel T. Davies Daleks and a new design that's based on the Resolution one but more polished? I'm liking it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, the Resolution Dalek but made shinier. I guess that’s a recon Dalek?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I would have been fine with that being the new standard Dalek design, but I also really like the bronze ones, so I'm fine with this compromise!

Now I'm just hoping the new Cyberman design isn't bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ugh. I hate the midsection on that Dalek

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

Ugh. I hate the midsection on that Dalek

Don't pepperpot shame.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://deadline.com/2020/01/tosin-cole-bentley-green-join-courtney-b-vance-amc-61st-street-1202839424/

Tosin Cole joining a new AMC show, so it's possible Ryan's leaving

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Ryan is fine and all, but it's probably for the best if we're keeping the current showrunners. They've been doing a piss poor job juggling three companions. Better for him to get a better role to flex his chops and for the show to better manage the companions. Hopefully they don't just replace him with another person to get them back up to three.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Regular companion shake-ups are healthy IMO. It's good to change up the dynamics and keep things from getting stale. One of my low-key favourite things about the RTD era is that you can instantly remember which season any random episode was from just by which companion was in it (or Doctor in the case of Series 1 and 2). The only slightly trickier ones are the companion-lite episodes and the order of the Christmas specials.

By contrast, the Eleven, Amy & Rory years just kind of blur together and I'm always surprised to find that, say, The Doctor's Wife was in series 6 rather than series 5. I suspect I'll be saying the same thing about episodes in series 11 and 12 in future too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The BBC have been advertising that Something Shocking will happen in the next ep, so this news might be preceding that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*Ryan slams into prehistoric Earth*

Doctor: “We really should stop coming here.”

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Here's an educational film from 1975 starring David Warner and Lalla Ward. I saw this in high school and never thought I'd see it in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKeSebbTC3s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Lou_Jameson/status/1220628947093925888?s=20

https://twitter.com/Lou_Jameson/status/1220775867888152577?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given Who's new shooting schedules, it's entirely possible that Ryan isn't leaving. One season every two years leaves plenty of time to film eight episodes of another show (that'd be, what, two and a half months?).

Also, it figures that he'd be looking for new/more regular work, given how little he's being used.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Saw an article suggesting they will wrap up some story lines and that there will be a Face of Boe story.
So of course my youtube suggestions are filled with FoB and Jack vids now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also saw some speculating the Black Guardian is returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

Also saw some speculating the Black Guardian is returning.

I certainly hope it's not Ruth!Doctor.