Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Idk I don't really want the show to kill June, and it seems like most of the read of the thread does.

I don't want June to die but I'm increasingly baffled that they seem to want me to continue rooting for her. It's like the few episodes at the end of s2 and the beginning of s3 where they wanted us to root for Serena.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

This show would be a lot better if they gave us more than a fleeting glance of the outside world, about the most we’ve seen this far was the one girls brief vacation to the colonies. Show us the war in Chicago or something, anything at all to distract from the rapidly deteriorating quality of the writing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

fat bossy gerbil posted:

This show would be a lot better if they gave us more than a fleeting glance of the outside world, about the most we’ve seen this far was the one girls brief vacation to the colonies. Show us the war in Chicago or something, anything at all to distract from the rapidly deteriorating quality of the writing.

I never thought I'd want more Nick, but here I am wondering what's going on with that charisma void in Chicago

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Yesterday's episode would have been much better if Ofmatthew would have shot and killed aunt Lydia. Wouldn't have improved her back story, but still given her some nice send-off.

Also, I think there's something about the production values and design that makes the show look a little cheap. I didn't notice the missing ranks, but there are only five or so things they did and show every time: The redecorated Whole Foods, the black SUVs, the unlabeled subway stations and that's more or less it. The rest is location scouting to find brutalist buildings or commander mansions and some sports facilities for the aunts to meet with the handmaids.

At least have some weird christian toilets or something.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I never thought I'd want more Nick, but here I am wondering what's going on with that charisma void in Chicago

turns out he's also an oppressed gay man because what a tweest

no but honestly I'd love to see him back. He was this weird cold spot in the whole thing. Everyone else is deeply affected in some manner. He isn't. He's just staring out at this carnage while he has Wendy's beside him and dipping his fries in his frosty. His blackened, moldering frosty.

screamin and creamin posted:

Yesterday's episode would have been much better if Ofmatthew would have shot and killed aunt Lydia. Wouldn't have improved her back story, but still given her some nice send-off.

Shoot Aunt Lydia, the bullet exits and hits June, too. It doesn't have to kill either of them. But slamming them both in the hospital would lead to some, at least aesthetically different, scenes for the next bit.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

PostNouveau posted:

June does have the trump card of "they need me to get Nichole back" and she reminded Lydia of it this episode.

It's like the last time she did a bunch of dumb poo poo and assumed her pregnancy would protect her in that eventually it will be over and she will have to deal with these people the people she's pissing off without that protection.
Yeah, I'd forgotten this, and am now willing to accept that her plot armor is temporary.

But June is still being an idiot. "We can't kill you, or permanently injure you below the neck, for now, but we can kill anyone you talk to" is a lesson that should have sunk in by now. And since Fred is (allegedly) the natural father, June could still take a weighted swim or a vacation in the Colonies without really disrupting Gilead's claim on Nichole.

The regime isn't being much brighter. She should be under house arrest, if she's this important, and this determined to cause trouble.

*Fixed to get alleged father's name right; I conflated actor and other character name

Jai Guru Dave fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 11, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That trump card would be pretty easily trumped itself by "we can nail your mouth shut and nobody will know bc you've already appeared on TV with your mouth covered"

What was this week's "graphic shock value for no reason," the extended shot of the dead baby?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That trump card would be pretty easily trumped itself by "we can nail your mouth shut and nobody will know bc you've already appeared on TV with your mouth covered"

What was this week's "graphic shock value for no reason," the extended shot of the dead baby?

Ofmatthew's half-dead body being dragged out of Gilead's one and only store

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lum_ posted:

Ofmatthew's half-dead body being dragged out of Gilead's one and only store

Nah see that tracks, stark violence against women has been part of the show since the start. It's only recently they've cranked up the shock value.

If Serena had lost her finger in S3 instead of S2 they absolutely would have shown a long, dramatic shot of her severed finger lying on a table. Same with the suicide bombing - if it was this season they would have lingered on the gory aftermath.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Let's see, if we assume they're just going to take the most miserable route in every scenario, I am going to guess that Ofmatthew is brain dead, and they keep her alive in a vegetative state as a birth pod.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I'm having trouble figuring out why they had her flip out on the one person who had been consistently sympathetic to her. I get the whole "she snapped and probably wasn't thinking straight" but it just seems like a weird writing decision.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay last nights episode was maybe the first good episode of the season? It still had its problems, but like, the Lydia flashback was incredibly good and well done in my opinion. I enjoyed that part a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Let's see, if we assume they're just going to take the most miserable route in every scenario, I am going to guess that Ofmatthew is brain dead, and they keep her alive in a vegetative state as a birth pod.

ooh god yeah about that, you actually 100% called it based on the preview for next episode haha.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmtzUGhjZjI

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugghhh

at least someone's finally loving calling June out on her bullshit.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Okay last nights episode was maybe the first good episode of the season? It still had its problems, but like, the Lydia flashback was incredibly good and well done in my opinion. I enjoyed that part a lot.

I thought it was awful. Are we supposed to sympathize with her for even a second? Or is it just adding more fuel to the "yes, Lydia is an awful person under it all" fire, because we already knew she's the loving worst.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

ooh god yeah about that, you actually 100% called it based on the preview for next episode haha.

Oh course well at least, as someone said above, the hospital is a different setting for June to continue pressing her luck within a broken system rather than out-and-out rebelling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I thought it was awful. Are we supposed to sympathize with her for even a second? Or is it just adding more fuel to the "yes, Lydia is an awful person under it all" fire, because we already knew she's the loving worst.

I don't know who i'm suppose to sympathize with anymore. It sure as gently caress isn't June. It would be everyone in Canada, but we don't see them enough.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm just so good that we got ONE GOOD SCENE this episode that I shall forgive everything else.

I don't know if anyone else noticed the hilarity of Ofmathew's freakout. I turned to my boyfriend and said "what's she even doing with that lobster??"

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Well like I said, I believe they're dead if they're shown in two pieces (Waterfords: three). When they pulled her out of the Whole Foods, I said to my wife "She's going to be okay".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lum_ posted:

So, we're just going with June as a complete psychopath now? Cool, cool.

Yeah, we are. She's finally succumbed to the pressure and will spend the next bit out of her mind.

Worse. When it looks like she's buying into her own plot armor, that's her embracing pure faith. She's turning into what she hates, but it might just get her to Canada with Hannah.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This show has too many logical inconsistencies and it's becoming more clear the longer the show goes on. First why don't the guards have tazers, beanbag rounds and other non lethal weapons? If the handmaidens are supposed to be so important to the survival of society shooting one should be equal to the death penalty. If that guard and the punishment for shooting a handmaiden isn't covered in the next episode. I'm going to write this show off as a slow trainwreck.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
This show is just getting worse and worse and that's a shame because it had so much promise. Nothing anyone does makes any sense. The plot of the season seems to be to have June stick out like a sore thumb in every scene and do a bunch of poo poo that would have her hauled off by the Eyes except they can't because apparently standing behind the Waterfords on video like she's about to be executed by ISIS is crucial to their diplomatic efforts. I don't know.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The only good thing about the show now is expressing how ineffectually centrist and polite the Canadian government is. Given what they should already know about Gilead they're still attempting diplomatic relations.

I would like to see more of the world outside North America. It's outside the scope of what June would know as a narrator, but so is all the stuff about Emily and all the flashbacks. If America/Gilead is this monstrous, what's happening in Russia, China, India, and the Middle East?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

how many times have we seen June slowly turn her face into a smile while walking away

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The sole bright point is the fact that based on the preview the other handmaids are starting to get tired of June's bullshit

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Well, that was no International Assassin*, but an origins episode on an Ann Dowd character is always welcome. Apart from that, eck. I admit people on here had it right, the show has become shock-chasing, cruel, and small. In a race with itself to top itself with acts of cruelty. That might be fine if it could make them feel meaningful or poignant, but I don't see that.

*International Assassin is a Leftovers episode I'll try not to spoil more than I just did. It's easy for something to pop quickly into your mind when it's your favorite hour of serial television and from one of your favorite series, plus I was thinking about it this week anyhow. However, I do think any time you have an origin story on an Ann Dowd character that has got to be your go-to point of comparison.

If I haven't said it by now, Ann Dowd is pretty much the reason I'll never be able to drop this show, though Janine's character might also be can't-miss too (albeit more for writing than supreme acting in that case). I sort of wish I could get interested in June's descent into supervillainy, but I don't think I feel it. (Maybe I've already seen too many good Jokers?) Anyway, it'll never ever happen, but if they killed off June at the end of this season then changed the show to The Aunt's Tale, I could get on board with that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, I guess it would be a logical continuation of the plot that season 4 is just June in Commander Stabler's house with her mouth ringed shut for maximum glaring intensity :shrug:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
At the end of season 2 I was worried they'd go full Mockingjay and have to use a bunch of plot armor so they could show one woman magically toppling an entire society, but instead they used it all so June could go wherever she wants in other commander's houses and stand ten feet away from her fellow Handmaids while glaring at everyone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

At the end of season 2 I was worried they'd go full Mockingjay and have to use a bunch of plot armor so they could show one woman magically toppling an entire society, but instead they used it all so June could go wherever she wants in other commander's houses and stand ten feet away from her fellow Handmaids while glaring at everyone.

Full Mockingjay/Spartacus would have been way better

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

PostNouveau posted:

Full Mockingjay/Spartacus would have been way better

Than what we actually got? Absolutely. But I would have preferred a small, sad story about June getting a small personal victory against society at great cost.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I liked the little exposition bit about the schools having been privatised some time ago. It tells us that their society was way more hosed up than ours when the nutjobs grabbed power, which is not the impression I got from earlier seasons. Aside from the fertility crisis, everything looked pretty much like regular 2017 which made the whole takeover hard to swallow. Well done piece of world building.

I liked nothing else.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

I liked the little exposition bit about the schools having been privatised some time ago. It tells us that their society was way more hosed up than ours when the nutjobs grabbed power

Every single school in New Orleans is a charter school.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Commander Stabler

Everyone here remembers this guy from something different, but I have wikipedia plus memory to rely on instead of memory alone:

Spike from Dinosaurs.

Opferwurst posted:

I liked the little exposition bit about the schools having been privatised some time ago. It tells us that their society was way more hosed up than ours when the nutjobs grabbed power, which is not the impression I got from earlier seasons. Aside from the fertility crisis, everything looked pretty much like regular 2017 which made the whole takeover hard to swallow. Well done piece of world building.

I liked nothing else.

I'm pretty sure it was family law that they said was privatized, not the schools. Could have been even if they didn't say it though.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

luscious posted:

I don't know if anyone else noticed the hilarity of Ofmathew's freakout. I turned to my boyfriend and said "what's she even doing with that lobster??"

I've seen speculation that OfMatthew was hoping to induce a miscarriage by eating undercooked shellfish.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

One thing that is slowly bugging me more and more now that I'm noticing it:

The police/military have no uniforms or rank insignia except for the ugly looking strap things commanders wear. So basically generals have some form of uniform but no one else. I could buy that the handmaids are guarded by a plainclothes secret service style force but enough of Gilead has been shown outside of the commanders housing area that it's clear all of the military/police do not have uniforms. All the military wears are normal black clothes and knit caps without anything identifying rank. This stupid on so many levels I can't even get into it.

Not to mention that a grocery store seems to have 4,000 guys with rifles guarding it at all times. 95% of the male population of gilead must work as security guards.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Kanish posted:

Not to mention that a grocery store seems to have 4,000 guys with rifles guarding it at all times. 95% of the male population of gilead must work as security guards.

Come to think of it, it's also not clear why they're sending the handmaids shopping when it's clearly a Martha's task. Probably as an excuse for them to talk to each other while being watched by a million guards.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

screamin and creamin posted:

Come to think of it, it's also not clear why they're sending the handmaids shopping when it's clearly a Martha's task. Probably as an excuse for them to talk to each other while being watched by a million guards.

Been ages since I read the book, but I think it's so they get some gentile exercise and fresh air each day which is thought to be good for fertility/pregnancy by Gilead's decision makers. I think Aunt Lydia says something along these lines in an early episode.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

The band name, title and particularly the lyrics of this song all come together to describe today's latest episode beautifully and better than I ever could. It's also a great piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIqDvyp2cc

Reviews seem to think it was good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was good when compared to the trainwreck of the rest of this season. Literally nothing happens, and of all the gross-out shots so far this episode seems like the most forced one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
June sucks poo poo lmao. can’t even shank someone right