Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gripweed posted:

But seriously, once they hit 1,000 that's it, right? They've done the 1,000 best movies and the collection is complete?

No, they'd still need one more because there are 1001 movies that you must see before you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got a chance to watch "Night Of The Hunter", and I gotta day wow what a film! Amazing cinematography, and I realized that my previous ideas about the film were all based on clips from the first half; I had no idea what was going to happen in the second half, which is always a plus.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

#1,000 - Groundhog Day

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I hope the delays are so they can announce a reissue of The Discreet Charm of the bourgeoisie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Russ Meyer complete edition imo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Have they confirmed in any way that #1000 will actually be something especially significant as opposed to just another normal release that happens to end up with that number?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Russ Meyer complete edition imo.

Andy Sidaris box set

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It'll be their first tv show release, of the full run of Millennium w Lance Henriksen

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Origami Dali posted:

It'll be their first tv show release, of the full run of Millennium w Lance Henriksen

Tanner '88, Golden age of television and Fishing With John beg to differ.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

998 - When We Were Kings
999 - Matewan

Blus of Silent Von Sternberg and Haxan (hail satin)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1151885532185661447
Announcement for #1000 coming next week

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Gonna get Haxan for sure, I've never seen it but have always meant to check it out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Haxan looks badass

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Andy Sidaris box set

Ugh, I hate double dipping.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Haxan looks badass

It is, but definitely read a little bit about what kind of film it is before blind buying. It's more like a loosely related series of vignettes than a complete film. It's the kind of thing that would be absolutely perfect to have on in the background of a Halloween party.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It's on youtubes if you want to watch it first.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Those stills from Matewan look absolutely gorgeous

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I'm holding out hope for a Godzilla box set.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Arcella posted:

I'm holding out hope for a Godzilla box set.

It’s probably coming up. My working theory is that Toho’s making them wait until Comic-Con to announce it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Toho just announced that they consider Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy to be Reiwa. So while I still expect the Godzilla boxest to be just Showa, Showa+Heisei got a lot more likely.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Friends Are Evil posted:

It’s probably coming up. My working theory is that Toho’s making them wait until Comic-Con to announce it.

Certainly wouldn't be out of character for Toho to have a boatload of demands which must be followed to letter.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

Toho just announced that they consider Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy to be Reiwa. So while I still expect the Godzilla boxest to be just Showa, Showa+Heisei got a lot more likely.

Aren’t the rights to all the Heisei films owned by Sony?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aren’t the rights to all the Heisei films owned by Sony?

I think that the rights to Return of Godzilla and Biollante are owned by someone else, but the remainder are Sony, yeah (along with most/all of the Millennium films IIRC).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

well, shoot

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

I think that the rights to Return of Godzilla and Biollante are owned by someone else, but the remainder are Sony, yeah (along with most/all of the Millennium films IIRC).

You’re right, I forgot Return was put out by Kraken. They’re the same ones who own vs Hedorah and vs Gigan. I’m sure Biollante is another rights headache, it’s been out of print for a while.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gripweed posted:

Having a collected Heisei set would be even more incredible.

Also, for any Australians lurking in the thread, Barnes and Noble now appear to ship internationally again? Squeezed in one final order of Do the Right Thing, Vampyr, and David Lynch: The Art Life. Shipping cost about a sixth of what Australia Posts' forwarding service did.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Three Outlaw Samurai is pretty good.

Studios don't make enough evil magistrate stories anymore. It's all superheros and live action remakes nowadays. Those are fine, but I'll still take a simple story about an evil magistrate any day of the week.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've seen a lot of samurai flicks and just recently saw Three Outlaw Samurai, and yeah, it's quality. The plot is clear, the characters are well defined, it's got good pacing, and the swordplay is great, which is more than I can say for a good portion of the genre.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Heaven's Gate is certainly a film.

There's definitely issues with it. I think if you cut 20 minutes from it, it would be an amazing film. But there are a lot of scenes that just go on way too long (the dance scene is a good example, and the end as well). The audio also needed work.

But there is a lot to celebrate here. It's something I think you should see to realize how a bad reputation doesn't mean a bad film.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haxan gets a lot of mentions online, it is what it is, but the amount of attention is undeserved. It's akin to that moronic Bella in the witch elm story, the film Begotten, or the word "intriguing", not in that it's annoying or bad, but it's unjustified hype and attention is just that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You'll have to elaborate because I don't really see it. Häxan is absolutely deserving of its status as revolutionary blend of documentary and fiction.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

immortalyawn posted:

Haxan gets a lot of mentions online, it is what it is, but the amount of attention is undeserved. It's akin to that moronic Bella in the witch elm story, the film Begotten, or the word "intriguing", not in that it's annoying or bad, but it's unjustified hype and attention is just that.

While I think silents have a strange curve because we only have what survived (who knows how many great films didn't make it?) - Haxan is absolutely deserving of being an essential of its time. First, the way it uses cinema as a way to blend fiction and non-fiction is incredibly clever. Christhensen is basically saying "Look how ridiculous this is when it's realized as a motion picture" while also making it hilarious. Visually, it's stunning, and it's completely unlike anything you'd see in American film at the time.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

Heaven's Gate is certainly a film.

There's definitely issues with it. I think if you cut 20 minutes from it, it would be an amazing film. But there are a lot of scenes that just go on way too long (the dance scene is a good example, and the end as well). The audio also needed work.

But there is a lot to celebrate here. It's something I think you should see to realize how a bad reputation doesn't mean a bad film.

I happen to like it quite a bit even if I do agree with your criticisms. The cinematography goes a long way for me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

immortalyawn posted:

The hype around the word intriguing is unjustified

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

"Intriguing" is cancelled? What happened?

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Samuel Clemens posted:

Häxan is absolutely deserving of its status as revolutionary blend of documentary and fiction.

Which is in no way why it is as well known as it strangely is.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just saw Klute and it was great. Pakula has this very specific style of building mood and tension that I love. Is there anything I should check out besides All the President's Men and The Parallax View? Those, Klute, and Sophie's Choice are the only movies of his that I see praised. I saw The Pelican Brief a long time ago and remember nothing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pyrotek posted:

I happen to like it quite a bit even if I do agree with your criticisms. The cinematography goes a long way for me.

I actually really like it too. I just was a bit frustrated with it because there's a great film in there and there's so much it does right. The actors are fantastic. There's a lot of interesting choices in the story, like Walken's character.

I would say any fan of filk has to see it at least once. It's quite special.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rashomon is good. I especially liked the Witness account fight scene, more movies need fights like that.

But I guess I hosed up and bought the fullscreen version by mistake. I gotta take it back to the store and trade it in for the widescreen version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Gripweed posted:

Rashomon is good. I especially liked the Witness account fight scene, more movies need fights like that.

But I guess I hosed up and bought the fullscreen version by mistake. I gotta take it back to the store and trade it in for the widescreen version

Rashomon's aspect ratio is 1.37:1.