Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is why I never fresh install with any other drives attached. Hell, as stupid as MS can be even upgrading with any other drives present might be a risk.

Yup, it's a lesson I'll definitely take to heart. I ended up fixing it by adding an EFI partition to the C: drive manually (via some luckily-sourced command prompt magic) but there was a moment where I seriously considered just leaving the rattling old thing in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

Ironically it's that they're decoupling everything from the core that everything is breaking, the couple decades worth of ironing out bugs is gone. New code is always risky.

TBF the shell UI has always been at least a bit decoupled from the "core" -- the explorer shell was a user level process in XP & 7, you could kill it and the rest of your programs would keep working fine. I used to run shell replacements back in the XP days (:thesperg:), that's how those worked.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's actually happened to Windows? Even on a clean install with few apps installed that are deeply embedded, why is the Start menu of all things still unreliable?

Start menu is now a UWP app, and my hot take is that UWP is a unfinished dumpster fire. UWP was going to be the thing that took them to the Apple-like land of usability, portability, security, and taking a $$$ cut from every app sold on the platform.

But all this new infrastructure they build for UWP -- it runs apps with isolation, more levels of permissions, and in a semi-sandbox -- is a massive over-complicated house of cards that's always one straw from collapse. And the Store didn't take off in a big way, so the commitment to actually fixing this disaster is lacking. Look at the sort of chicken-waving that goes on with busted Store apps and it's clear that nobody knows how this poo poo works or is even supposed to work.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why is this getting worse? We should essentially be in a Service Pack level of increasing reliability and performance.

Even hotter take: Windows, The OS, is no longer a source of growth for MS. Still very profitable from the OEM licenses, but growth is what gets the bonuses. That's why it's being kicked around MS divisions like an unwanted dog. Store was going to be the thing to make more revenue, but that's failed so they're all-in on cloud services.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 14, 2019

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Classic Shell became Open Shell and it's served me well throughout my Windows 10 usage.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

I don't care what the inbuilt start menu does anymore. They need to include an option to switch back to the old Windows 7 style menu.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Klyith posted:

Start menu is now a UWP app, and my hot take is that UWP is a unfinished dumpster fire. UWP was going to be the thing that took them to the Apple-like land of usability, portability, security, and taking a $$$ cut from every app sold on the platform.

But all this new infrastructure they build for UWP -- it runs apps with isolation, more levels of permissions, and in a semi-sandbox -- is a massive over-complicated house of cards that's always one straw from collapse. And the Store didn't take off in a big way, so the commitment to actually fixing this disaster is lacking. Look at the sort of chicken-waving that goes on with busted Store apps and it's clear that nobody knows how this poo poo works or is even supposed to work.

When was that x86-on-Windows-Store initiative supposed to start? If they're still botching UWP games, it can't be soon enough.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vanagoon posted:

Classic Shell became Open Shell and it's served me well throughout my Windows 10 usage.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

I don't care what the inbuilt start menu does anymore. They need to include an option to switch back to the old Windows 7 style menu.

They will never ever ever do this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just posting here that Edgium hardware acceleration issues (corruption et al) seem to be _finally_ fixed. That said, I'm really just posting this, because every time I did so in the past, it immediately started to gently caress up after hitting Submit.

Klyith posted:

Between hearing good things about games under linux running closer to 100% speed than ever, and the stuff about AMD chips having really good VM abilities, I'm real tempted. I've done linux desktop before, I know how frustrating that can be. But at least with linux if I spend a week making a piece of poo poo sound driver work, it stays working.
Yeah, but then you start running GPU accelerated VMs, and tend to assign your main GPU, which requires shutting down your X or Wayland session, and then you start noticing how much smoother the Windows experience is, and because of various productivity you tend to spend more time in the VM instead of the Linux host, and then just start asking yourself if it is all worth it. Been there done that.

Add to that, if you want to game, you're currently still better off with NVidia, including all the bullshit "accidents" that keep loving up VFIO.

That said, the productivity stuff could be dealt with using a cheaper secondary card, a HDMI dongle and Looking Glass. Latter wasn't available yet when I threw the towel. Integrating remote apps in the local desktop would require some FreeRDP fuckery, not sure how to deal with hardware acceleration in the VM, tho. Things like Solidworks sure work like poo poo without GPU hardware.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

My main reason for wanting to move to 10 was dolby atmos for headphones, actually, but now I have HeSuVi.
You happy with HeSuVi? Tried it a while ago, wasn't really impressed with any of the impulse responses. IMO Atmos still works better.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 15, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

You happy with HeSuVi? Tried it a while ago, wasn't really impressed with any of the impulse responses. IMO Atmos still works better.

True, it is not as good, but it's still pretty drat good. Plus I love having all the different HRIRs to choose from. Some work better than others for different material, and my preferences also vary according to mood. Say, do I want my aggrotech psychill brostep gabber nudisco to sound like I'm listening in a studio, arena, warehouse or hyperspace? I got options!
Also, I mostly only use it on the laptop. I don't often have a reason to use headphones on the desktop. And the laptop definitely ran a little better on 8.1 (desktop is peachy with 10), so I think I'm gonna revert, gently caress it. Extended support goes till 2023.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just posting here that Edgium hardware acceleration issues (corruption et al) seem to be _finally_ fixed. That said, I'm really just posting this, because every time I did so in the past, it immediately started to gently caress up after hitting Submit.

Yeah, but then you start running GPU accelerated VMs, and tend to assign your main GPU, which requires shutting down your X or Wayland session, and then you start noticing how much smoother the Windows experience is, and because of various productivity you tend to spend more time in the VM instead of the Linux host, and then just start asking yourself if it is all worth it. Been there done that.

Add to that, if you want to game, you're currently still better off with NVidia, including all the bullshit "accidents" that keep loving up VFIO.

That said, the productivity stuff could be dealt with using a cheaper secondary card, a HDMI dongle and Looking Glass. Latter wasn't available yet when I threw the towel. Integrating remote apps in the local desktop would require some FreeRDP fuckery, not sure how to deal with hardware acceleration in the VM, tho. Things like Solidworks sure work like poo poo without GPU hardware.

I have to admit I am also booting Windows way more often the last couple of months. Unity just works better on Windows, Blender has better performance and I get to keep multiple monitors which I had to give up using Looking Glass with a VM.

It really is a shame though, I would have preferred using Linux for everything. Just coding and running stuff is much smoother on Linux though, SSHFS and all the tools are really awesome.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It really is a shame though, I would have preferred using Linux for everything. Just coding and running stuff is much smoother on Linux though, SSHFS and all the tools are really awesome.

WSL2 might be able to help with that. WSL1 is okay for some stuff, though. I truly am looking forward to using WSL2 as a docker machine, that will be great if it works.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What can I type into my start menu, if anything, to get to what was "Sound" in Windows 7 where I have playback and recording tabs and can change defaults, test etc?

At the moment I'm going through control panel every time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jack the Lad posted:

What can I type into my start menu, if anything, to get to what was "Sound" in Windows 7 where I have playback and recording tabs and can change defaults, test etc?

open the classic control panel, drag the sound icon onto your desktop to make a shortcut, then pin that to the start menu

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Combat Pretzel posted:

You do what now? that seems really inefficient and a pain in the rear end. Half the time you have to reboot to get the GPU to reset cleanly if you try it too - it's not a use-case anyone thought of when they wrote the firmware or UEFI, so it's super fragile.

You throw an older AMD card in for linux to use on an x8 or even x4 slot, possibly tell bios to boot off it but that's not required, and hand your main GPU to windows. It's not like you need a 2080ti to run linux, I just tossed an old 270x in it and it's fine. Swapping machines is as easy as hitting the input select on your monitor(s). Give them both all the cores, so whichever one you're using goes full speed.

You can give a dedicated drive to windows and dual-boot to it if you absolutely need it on bare metal for some reason too, which is a nice bonus.

Been my daily driver for years and having one really fast machine is much nicer than two slower machines. Total cost over one good machine is one cheap GPU, extra RAM and a dedicated windows drive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

When I type 'sound' into Start I get the control panel option as my first result, so I'm not sure what's happening with yours.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When I type 'sound' into Start I get the control panel option as my first result, so I'm not sure what's happening with yours.

You're probably not on 1903, then.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 16, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh yeah, you're right, I checked on my work laptop but it isn't on 1903 yet, but my personal laptop is and it doesn't have a control panel option either.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Klyith posted:

open the classic control panel, drag the sound icon onto your desktop to make a shortcut, then pin that to the start menu

Will try this, thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh yeah, you're right, I checked on my work laptop but it isn't on 1903 yet, but my personal laptop is and it doesn't have a control panel option either.

Yeah it's extremely dumb. Having recently upgraded, the start menu search in general is just absolutely terrible when compared to Windows 7.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wouldn't mind the change, except they still haven't ported everything over and still send you to control panel for certain things. Four loving years, and they still haven't finished Settings. Of all the embarrassingly indefensible things about Windows 10, that is what tops the list for me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lambert posted:

You're probably not on 1903, then.

"Change system sounds". I have no idea why it shows up by default on mine, since i'm on 1903. Maybe an AU/US fuckery of search results?
(Timg because big)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah, that works. At least something, I still have to open that control panel all the time at the moment because automatic input switching is still broken on 1903.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You should also be able to Win+R "mmsys.cpl" to open it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A picky little thing that's not really important but has been bothering me:

Is it possible to either rearrange or hide the entries in this list?

I switch between my speakers (connected to motherboard audio) and my headphones (connected to monitor) regularly, but everything else on the list either never gets used (digital out), only gets used in specific programs (virtual audio cable), or only gets switched to automatically (Steam Streaming, Vive). It'd be really nice if I could hide the ones I don't use and/or put the ones I actually want to switch between next to each other.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't know about rearranging them, but disabling the ones you don't use at all in here should hide them at least.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

wolrah posted:

A picky little thing that's not really important but has been bothering me:

Is it possible to either rearrange or hide the entries in this list?

I switch between my speakers (connected to motherboard audio) and my headphones (connected to monitor) regularly, but everything else on the list either never gets used (digital out), only gets used in specific programs (virtual audio cable), or only gets switched to automatically (Steam Streaming, Vive). It'd be really nice if I could hide the ones I don't use and/or put the ones I actually want to switch between next to each other.

I use Audioswitch. You can hide whatever entries you don't use. Single click switching if you want that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

I don't know about rearranging them, but disabling the ones you don't use at all in here should hide them at least.

Aha, I had totally lost that dialog in the new settings but I found it now.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I use Audioswitch. You can hide whatever entries you don't use. Single click switching if you want that.
Ooh, this looks perfect. Giving it a try.

I've disabled the devices that I'll definitely never use like the Realtek digital outputs so they don't show up anywhere and then have Audioswitch only showing the three devices I actually switch between manually.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Found my desktop offline and it then BSOD'd on boot repeatedly until automatic repair kicked it. How do I tell what automatic repair did? It's working so far but the only notification I got is that KB4507453 failed to install.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Found my desktop offline and it then BSOD'd on boot repeatedly until automatic repair kicked it. How do I tell what automatic repair did? It's working so far but the only notification I got is that KB4507453 failed to install.

The best part is when it does not find anything and you're stuck booting repairmode the whole time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wouldn't mind the change, except they still haven't ported everything over and still send you to control panel for certain things. Four loving years, and they still haven't finished Settings. Of all the embarrassingly indefensible things about Windows 10, that is what tops the list for me.

The Settings work actually started in Windows 8, so it's 7 years they've taken and still not finished.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's weird how Windows 8 has just left my mind entirely, just like Vista before it. I didn't even mind 8 that much.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Removing the start button took some real "genius", what a clusterfuck Windows 8 was.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Just hover your cursor by the secret corner, so simple.

Didn't even fix that poo poo in 8.1, waited until 8.1 Update 1 (it's not a service pack??)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

Removing the start button took some real "genius", what a clusterfuck Windows 8 was.

It's almost unreal how stupid that was

vv Hate it with a passion

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 17, 2019

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Server 2012 was even dumber because most of the time you're using a windowed rdp session so you cant even slam your mouse to the corner. Also 2 settings windows for everything, did anyone ever want to use the fullscreen metro version of windows update?

Perplx fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 17, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to remap the Windows key for a particular program? I've gotten very used to the IntelliJ MacOS keymap at work and I'd like to use it at home on my Windows box. It's got three keys to the left of the space bar, so it could work in theory.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's possible to remap the Windows key to something else entirely? I have it mapped to F13, which I then have mapped to other things.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Perplx posted:

Server 2012 was even dumber because most of the time you're using a windowed rdp session so you cant even slam your mouse to the corner. Also 2 settings windows for everything, did anyone ever want to use the fullscreen metro version of windows update?

But, one code base......

The tablet in 8 worked well though, better than it does now to be honest. God how much time and money spent on something that just got thrown out, it must be enormous.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

hooah posted:

Is there a way to remap the Windows key for a particular program?
You could do that with autohotkey.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Harik posted:

You do what now? that seems really inefficient and a pain in the rear end. Half the time you have to reboot to get the GPU to reset cleanly if you try it too - it's not a use-case anyone thought of when they wrote the firmware or UEFI, so it's super fragile.
Back when I did VFIO, I used NVidia and it worked pretty fine surprisingly (they didn't gently caress around with things that much back then). There wasn't really that much of an advantage compared to dual booting. The only reason I kept that setup running for a while was because I was running Windows off my NAS on a pretty large thin-provisioned iSCSI extent, and then used bcache to make it fast. Essentially have a very large disk sort of act SSD fast, which worked surprisingly well, more so because the NAS only had 1GBit back then. Linux, when not running Gnome, was essentially a thick hypervisor enabling this scenario.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

But, one code base......
Hm? Windows client and server have always been one codebase. Since NT 3.1 onwards.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Back when I did VFIO, I used NVidia and it worked pretty fine surprisingly (they didn't gently caress around with things that much back then). There wasn't really that much of an advantage compared to dual booting. The only reason I kept that setup running for a while was because I was running Windows off my NAS on a pretty large thin-provisioned iSCSI extent, and then used bcache to make it fast. Essentially have a very large disk sort of act SSD fast, which worked surprisingly well, more so because the NAS only had 1GBit back then. Linux, when not running Gnome, was essentially a thick hypervisor enabling this scenario.

Hm? Windows client and server have always been one codebase. Since NT 3.1 onwards.

Yes I know, but when the consumer stuff that runs on tablets start to creep into the server stuff it might be time to rethink your strategy. Or at least the GUI stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raygereio posted:

You could do that with autohotkey.

Yup, I sure can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Crossposting from the monitor thread:

Jack the Lad posted:

I've just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and icc profiles no longer seem to do anything.

My U3014 had a greenish tint out of the box and I was using an icc profile with it. This would periodically stop working, but opening up colour management and choosing "Set as Default Profile" would re-apply it and I would see the colour go back to normal/calibrated:

In Windows 10, however, it doesn't do anything, which sucks.

Googling didn't find me much useful on this, except that some people suggested disabling Fast Startup, which I did and which didn't make a difference.
Does anyone know how I can get icc profiles to apply in Windows 10, please?