Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

Are you using the IMEI as a unique identifier for each device? You're not really supposed to do that, but all the alternatives kind of suck.

There are heaps of weird Android devices that don't have an IMEI as well. So you would need an alternative or to just declare that you don't support those.

it is not a seriously utilised unique identifier, we primarily use pii for that. just a few interesting cases we discovered recently, with newly appeared flavour of undesired customers that all share lack of imei recorded by our app, either as missing or blank imei. thankfully it’s a microscopic trickle so far so it’s likely safe to be lazy about this and ban that type of thing altogether. thanks for the links!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shitfest the Clown posted:

havent read this thread but is the huawei 5g spy poo poo for real?

every time i've heard or read about the CEO addressing concerns he always like, re-frames it specifically about them writing back doors, and swears in suspiciously legally precise language that they would never intentionally program a back door into their software. since this is what the media has latched on to as the only possible security boogeyman it goes un-questioned a lot which is kinda getting on my nerves.

like yeah i don't think most companies would do that, it would be obvious and stupid. you'd either have modified firmware pushed to specific targets without your knowledge by the state security agency since they definitely have your signing key, or you'd do stuff like conveniently not fix security vulnerabilities found by said state security agency, or other plausibly deniable things like that.

e: he also says stuff like "if the chinese government asked us to put a back door in our software, we would refuse and close down the company!" like dude they don't ask

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

like yeah i don't think most companies would do that, it would be obvious and stupid. you'd either have modified firmware pushed to specific targets without your knowledge by the state security agency since they definitely have your signing key, or you'd do stuff like conveniently not fix security vulnerabilities found by said state security agency, or other plausibly deniable things like that.

https://finitestate.io/finite-state-supply-chain-assessment/?mod=article_inline

this report came out in june came out a few weeks ago and suggested that this is essentially what Huawei has been doing. They did some algorithmic analysis and found a whole bunch of security issues, including some that had actually been introduced by later patches.

the report doesn't outright claim that they are intentional, but calls attention to the fact that there's so many.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

you'd do stuff like conveniently not fix security vulnerabilities found by said state security agency, or other plausibly deniable things like that.

yeah this really seems like how it works, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zerodium

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

https://finitestate.io/finite-state-supply-chain-assessment/?mod=article_inline

this report came out in june came out a few weeks ago and suggested that this is essentially what Huawei has been doing. They did some algorithmic analysis and found a whole bunch of security issues, including some that had actually been introduced by later patches.

the report doesn't outright claim that they are intentional, but calls attention to the fact that there's so many.
thank god we use cisco, never an issue there

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shitfest the Clown posted:

havent read this thread but is the huawei 5g spy poo poo for real?
their code base is horrendous enough that it doesn’t matter.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's a lot of backdoored vpn appliances these days: https://devco.re/blog/2019/07/17/attacking-ssl-vpn-part-1-PreAuth-RCE-on-Palo-Alto-GlobalProtect-with-Uber-as-case-study/

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

This one is particularly awesome because Palo doesn't even bother to CVE, rate, or disclose vulnerabilities they discover and fix themselves

🤔
code:
PAN-100312
Fixed an intermittent issue where the dataplane restarted when processing Clientless VPN traffic.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ewiley posted:

This one is particularly awesome because Palo doesn't even bother to CVE, rate, or disclose vulnerabilities they discover and fix themselves

🤔
code:
PAN-100312
Fixed an intermittent issue where the dataplane restarted when processing Clientless VPN traffic.
It's not exactly common to advertise vulnerabilities found and fixed by developers before any attackers notice them.
For a lot of opensource projects you mostly have to pay careful attention to the commit log (if they provide one that's detailed enough) - sometimes you get a hint from Coverty ID, syzbot uuid, or something, although that's fairly recent. And then there are the counter-examples like Linus; who is famous for not disclosing security issues at all.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quote:

He concluded by saying “I'd like to think I did learn something, since I fixed up this series _before_ you yelled at me. :)

man linus is such a dick

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

man linus is such a dick

Someone's gotta keep your average kernel contributors in line.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
not necessarily a secfuck but pretty funny

https://twitter.com/mistydemeo/status/1151567133970579456

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Someone's gotta keep your average kernel contributors in line.
The average kernel contributor is someone working for one of the companies who're funding the 501C6, so it really did become a hostile work environment because of Linus. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

The average kernel contributor is someone working for one of the companies who're funding the 501C6, so it really did become a hostile work environment because of Linus. :v:

.....he's the principal developer of the Linux kernel, so really most of the Companies owe him. Most of them gave him stock options for his work on the Linux kernel.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

.....he's the principal developer of the Linux kernel, so really most of the Companies owe him. Most of them gave him stock options for his work on the Linux kernel.

what

Linus is management

are you giving management credit for ICs’ output

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its amazing that Linus still has control over the kernel even though so many gigantic corporations depend on it's existence.

i'm shocked nobody has tried to wrestle it away from him.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its amazing that Linus still has control over the kernel even though so many gigantic corporations depend on it's existence.

who says they haven’t

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Are you sure he does any commits that he's written? If I understand it correctly, all he and his lieutenants do is commit the work of other people, and the vast majority of code that comes in are from the corporations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The corporations pay his salary, through the Linux Foundation that was created as a 501C6.
Unlike a 501C3 (such as the FreeBSD Foundation) which needs to be for the public good - meaning that a certain number of their donations need to be from private individuals - a 501C6 has no such restrictions and can not only take all the money they want from companies, they're also free to spend that money however they want, including lobbying, which the 501C3 explicitly bans.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

who says they haven’t
Since Linux didn't have source control for a very long time during the initial years despite receiving commits from others, everyone involved in Linux hopes nobody ever tries to wrest control away from Linus, because if they do, it'll become mired in the courts forever - that's effectively what keeps Linus on top.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i don’t get the last bit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i don’t get the last bit

impossible/hard to tell who has the rights to which parts of the code, I'm guessing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

impossible/hard to tell who has the rights to which parts of the code, I'm guessing

ah, makes sense

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the gigantic corporations don't run a linus-blessed kernel, and have no intent of doing so.

in practical effect redhat controls the kernel that is used.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's not exactly common to advertise vulnerabilities found and fixed by developers before any attackers notice them.
For a lot of opensource projects you mostly have to pay careful attention to the commit log (if they provide one that's detailed enough) - sometimes you get a hint from Coverty ID, syzbot uuid, or something, although that's fairly recent. And then there are the counter-examples like Linus; who is famous for not disclosing security issues at all.

I get notifications all the time from vendors regarding fixed vulnerabilities found in testing of their own code. I understand not publishing unfixed vulnerabilities revealed by internal testing, but once it's fixed it should be at least ranked and included in release notes. Seems like it's kind of important to understand what you're leaving yourself open to if you don't patch. Globalprotect is far from open source software, it's owned by a literal security company (which maybe makes it worse, I guess).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the gigantic corporations don't run a linus-blessed kernel, and have no intent of doing so.

in practical effect redhat controls the kernel that is used.

also, consider every android, running a 6-year-old kernal that every intern at Qualcomm has hosed with

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ewiley posted:

I get notifications all the time from vendors regarding fixed vulnerabilities found in testing of their own code. I understand not publishing unfixed vulnerabilities revealed by internal testing, but once it's fixed it should be at least ranked and included in release notes. Seems like it's kind of important to understand what you're leaving yourself open to if you don't patch. Globalprotect is far from open source software, it's owned by a literal security company (which maybe makes it worse, I guess).
Preaching to the choir here; it's one of the reasons why I like running FreeBSD; it has detailed commit log for everything including security fixes.

Krankenstyle posted:

Got it in one.
It's hard enough even with a VCS (it requires a lot of use of the blame subcommand, which is tedius at best and difficult at worst).
BSD had the same problem way back when, as SCCS was only implemented around 3BSD - though at least back then the only way they could've gotten contributions from outside would've been by uucp over phone-cradle-modem, or someone visiting CSRG.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm not really getting how that's more of a problem for someone looking to fork the kernel than it is for the current kernel developers themselves

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we managed to relicense all of the Mozilla codebase to a new version of the MPL and dual it with another license, and we relied on CVS blame partly but not exclusively to get sufficient agreement to proceed within our risk umbrella. I had a budget for settling with people who popped up later with a credible case for a material contribution and violently objected in a way we thought would stand up in court, but we kept it a secret so as not to get gamed on it. nobody ended up needing to be paid, though some people needed more convincing than others.

it wasn't a lot of fun and it took a while, but it didn't require any violations of physical law

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

all you have to do to wrest Linux away from Linus is git clone and then ignore him

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Continue engaging him in rants and he'll never realize what's happening

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

idgi, why does that matter for any company wanting to make a fork of the kernel? It's all published under the GPL which can't be revoked by the author.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao i haven't touched npm in a while (thank god) and had to go in and touch it again today. ran npm install to download dependencies and:

code:
found 1589 vulnerabilities (5 low, 4 moderate, 1580 high)
:allears: well i guess it's better than back when they just didn't care at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

holy crap

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Why even bother having severities when 99.43% are high

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raere posted:

why did they have the green and blue bars on the terror alert level

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

on the one hand it's only that high because i hadn't updated any of the packages since the last time i touched this project

on the other hand the last time i touched this project was like, november, and that's one heck of a lot of vulns to accumulate since then

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

D. Ebdrup posted:

Are you sure he does any commits that he's written? If I understand it correctly, all he and his lieutenants do is commit the work of other people, and the vast majority of code that comes in are from the corporations.

deep code review is a technical contribution, often a more important one than actually writing the code

signed, a senior engineer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ok after running an update and getting everything to the latest minor version... there's still ~100 "high" vulns, that can only be fixed by updating major versions. ok whatever, updated the major versions of everything to the latest and... there's still 2 high vulns that npm has no idea how to deal with and just says "requires manual intervention"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

deep code review is a technical contribution, often a more important one than actually writing the code

signed, a senior engineer

i added the lil' squiggly boy to a bunch of my business cards with a pen so i'm now a señior

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can see the future. A future in which a gently caress-up will happen because of the MITM on all HTTPS traffic in Kazakhstan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Raere posted:

it's probably commutative where if you depend on something with a high sev vuln you have one too

and because js has basically no standard library beyond import() if there's a flaw in "is-positive-integer" or "string-length" lmao every package is busted