Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The other beer trading thread was archived so lets get the ball rolling on a new one :cheerdoge:

Shamelessly ripped most of rage-saq's OP from the previous thread with some slight tweaks to bring things up to date:

Why trade?
There are some really great beers from really great brewers that aren't available across the entire USA. Craft beer is still on an upward trend and there's a fierce battle for limited store shelf space, so it's common to see new breweries/brewpubs opting out of distributing their packaged beer. Instead, these bottles or cans are sold only at the brewery/brewpub. A good example in 2018 craft beer: brewers reputable for producing "hazy"/New England IPA's doing can releases.

These hard to get releases as well as back vintages can be traded for similarly difficult to get / rare beers. Ultimately in a good trade both parties win!

Why would I not want to trade beer?
Beer trading is not a perfect utopia without any drawbacks. For one, its a little on the expensive side as shipping and packaging materials can add up, especially if you try to trade overseas. Expect $20-$30 on shipping a box out, making your minimum target trade value to be somewhere around $50 to make it worth trading. Dealing with shipping is a bit of a hassle and if a box you sent out shows up with broken bottles you have to deal with getting them replaced.

Why trade here and not eBay?
eBay is for the most part the biggest scum of the beer trading world, with rare beers reaching outrageous values and promoting the profiteering and "scalping" of beer which ends up hurting the people who actually want to DRINK good beer. There are plenty of stories of grandma's and people who know nothing about beer, much less do any drinking of good beer going and buying up huge stocks of rare beer for the sole purpose of profiteering on eBay. Not very cool.

Talkbeer has a pretty good trading scene with good traders. Hyperlocal facebook groups can land some good trades too, but I only do those types of trades when either a) in person face to face or b) I'd be willing to ship as long as the new party has a vouch from a friend/existing trade partner. Don't bother with trading on Ratebeer or Beer Advocate.

Goons are cool, trading beer with goons is really cool. I've met a significant number of the goons on the beer thread in person or at the very least, traded with them. Very knowledgeable and generous group on this site who are all here for the same thing: to share our love of good beer.

Legality: Isn't it illegal to ship beer?
It is illegal to ship alcohol through the US Postal Service without special licenses and forms and etc etc. Don't do it.

UPS and FedEx have a policy of not allowing alcohol to be shipped, but it is not against any laws or something you can get arrested for. As a shipping company it is a little bit of a pain in the rear end to deal with glass bottles that break in shipping and leak, not to mention dealing with spurious "compensation values" that could be quite high for something that is quite fragile. They don't want to know about it because they don't want to have to deal with it, make it not a problem and it wont be.

People ship beer all the time, and its not hard to ship beer without it breaking and most often times if you drop off a box at FedEx/UPS they don't ask what the contents are and off it goes. See the "how to pack beer" section below.

How to trade: Part 1 - setting up a trade
There are two main methods to try and solicit a trade. One is effective for finding what you want and the other is effective for finding new stuff you don't know about. These modes are commonly reffered to as ISO/FT. ISO = is seeking of and FT = for trade.
Lets say I want to trade for some Dark Lord and I know I have a few beers that might interest someone in that region or someone that just might have a Dark Lord. I'm just pulling beers out of my rear end for this example.

My post would be something like this:

quote:

ISO: Dark Lord FT: List

Looking to get a trade going for Dark Lord and some other FFF beers. Dreadnaught, Behemoth and some others are high on my list.
I've got some Odell Single Serve and Lost Abbey Angels Share, but take a look at my list and see what you want in trade.

<List of my bottles for trade or a url to my trading bottle list goes here>

My trade list should be kept up to date and have every beer I am willing to trade on it. If you value X beer highly and don't think you want to trade it as general distribution, don't put it on the list. This might mean you end to keep a "beer trading cellar list" as well as a "full cellar list", but its much easier to work with somebody who has their trading list put together as opposed to generating a million emails agreeing on what is and isn't tradable.

Its totally cool that you don't want to trade X beer, just don't put it on your trading list and cause an endless stream of disappointment because you don't want to trade your Allagash Vagabond.

How to trade: Part 2 - Trading Ethically and Painlessly
While ultimately a fair trade is one that both parties agree upon as fair and it could be a bottle of BA Dark Lord 2011 for 24 bottles of KBS 2010 (seen it!) or a bottle of Russian River Beatification for a really fresh great IPA that may not retail for a ton of money but you can only get it at the brewery. Most of the time it's a comparable number of beers at a comparable value, commonly referred to as $4$ (dollar for dollar).

$4$ works well for most trades, beers that are exceedingly rare or of very old vintage don't always fit in. For example: Does a bottle of Rodenbach Grand Cru from 1994 have the same value as one released today? Not quite. Isabelle Proximus? Posse lot Especial? Midnight Sun M? Also a different story.

These are examples of "whales" that don't really fit in with the $4$ scheme and there's no good metric for saying "if beer is 5+ years old it means its +30% in value" and so forth. If you are trading for these you'll have to take this into account and work out together what equates to a fair trade.

Here is an example of what a trade I did recently on RB ended up as both parties getting what they want and agreeing it’s a pretty equitable trade.
He started off looking for some Lost Abbey Sinners 2010, which I had and I've wanted to get some CDC Rosso E Marron, and we expanded with some other local stuff from there. There were a few high dollar value beers from me but he made up for it with a slightly increased bottle amount. It was pretty painless and easy and we both walked away happy people.

quote:

From Me:
2x Sinners 2010 375ml - $15ea
1x Odell Friek 2011 750ml - $18ea
1x Odell Woodcut #5 2011 750ml - $30ea
1x Odell Avant Peche 2010 750ml - $17ea
1x Odell BB Stout 2009 750ml - $15ea

6 beers @ $111

From You
1x Rapture 2011 750ml - $18
2x Rosso E Marron 2011 375ml - $15ea
2x Founders Backwoods Bastard 2010 12oz - $3ea
1x CCB Seabass 2011 750ml - $16
1x Allagash Curieux 2011 750ml - $17
1x Allagash Interlude 2009 750ml - $20

9 beers @ $107

Above is a little chart/method that I've found is an efficient way to keep track of where the trade is at, balancing it out to keep $4$ pretty even. When you have a good idea that a trade is going to happen it's time to bust this out and then finish it up and agree on who ships first.
Shipping cost is not counted towards the trade value unless someone is insisting on something outrageous like overnight/etc. Shipping hit both of us for about $30 on this box.

Bonus Beers
The last thing that is a good practice and something that really puts the icing on the trading cake is bonus beers, aka "extras". These are beers you throw in with no secured trade. They are optional (sometimes your shipper is already full) but always a good idea. I've discovered some really awesome beers I knew nothing about because they were local to an area I've never been to, and I hope that I've helped people find some nice stuff this way.

How much bonus beer should you throw in? Depends on how big the trade is and how generous you feel. If you didn't ship first and the other guy packed in a ton of extra bonus beers you should try to return the favor.

How to pack
There are many ways of packing beer, but in my opinion ALL of them are pains in the rear end. The one that is by far the least pain in the rear end is a styrofoam bottle shipping container system thingy. You can get them at Bevmo/Total Wine and other places and they are the bomb.
One of these shipping containers (common sizes are 1 bottle, 2 bottles, 3 bottles, 6 bottles and 12 bottles) are usually only a few bucks ($4-$8) but turn packing a box of beer into a near bulletproof process that doesn't take much time and only needs some scrap paper to get them nice and secure.

Here is how I packed a 12 bottle shipper.
First take 3-4 pages of a newspaper and ruffle them up a bit and set it over the slot for the bottle, this will make sure that the paper expands to secure the bottle from jostling around too much.

Set the bottle on top of the hole and slowly shove it down, the paper should crumple around the bottle in a near form fitting fashion. Try and wiggle it, you can probably only wiggle it on the top side of the bottle.

Next take two pages of a newspaper and fold it in half and then squeeze it together some so it becomes kind of snake-like, and then shove it in around the top of the bottle, kind of forming a ring around the bottle. You might need to do this twice but after you do this the bottle should be secure and wont budge at all.

Repeat until all of your bottles are nice and secure. Once they are all packed just put the top on and tape the box up and its ready to ship!

Misc trading stuff
If you've got some cool tips for this section let me know and I'll add it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I guess I’ll start:

ISO: fundamental observation batch 4 (now appearing on your local SoCal shelves)

FT: Schramm’s Statement 750 ml, various vintages of Abyss going back to 2011, Chicago locals

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking to start trading with someone regularly. I typically don't go out of my way to get super rare beers and I'm not too much of a stickler for "super fresh" beer. I would prefer things in cans as opposed to bottles. I live in the Bay Area, so I have regular access to Alvarado Street, Fieldwork, Temescal, Track 7, Hen House and Cellar Maker. Sometimes I'll get access to Sante Adairius (only bottles), Moonraker and Russian River. Not looking for any specific brewery, just looking to try things I can't get here, so East Coast would be nice.

Edit: New Glory too.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 26, 2018

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking to start trading with someone regularly. I typically don't go out of my way to get super rare beers and I'm not too much of a stickler for "super fresh" beer. I would prefer things in cans as opposed to bottles. I live in the Bay Area, so I have regular access to Alvarado Street, Fieldwork, Temescal, Track 7, Hen House and Cellar Maker. Sometimes I'll get access to Sante Adairius (only bottles), Moonraker and Russian River. Not looking for any specific brewery, just looking to try things I can't get here, so East Coast would be nice.

How is Temescal? I'm a fan of their aesthetic but that doesn't always correlate to good beer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

dphi posted:

How is Temescal? I'm a fan of their aesthetic but that doesn't always correlate to good beer.

I would say that they're typically above average. If I see something by them at my bottle shop, I'm picking it up. They're not as good as Cellarmaker or Fieldwork, but on par with breweries like Bare Bottle, Hen House. Much better than Track 7 or 7 Stills.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Also looking...

ISO: Fundamental Observation b4
FT: Atrial Rubicite b8 or I have other recent Jester King 500ml releases

air- fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 23, 2018

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If anyone is interested in Swedish/EU beer, I'd be up for some US sour/hypehaze later this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Klaus Kinski posted:

If anyone is interested in Swedish/EU beer, I'd be up for some US sour/hypehaze later this year.

I'd be down. Not sure if you have a particular beers in mind but I'm in the Bay Area and off the top of my head could hook you up with both Russian River (who aside from the Pliny craze make some drat good sours) and Almanac (who make the best sours I've ever had anywhere).

Additionally if any Midwest goons are interested in those (or any other West Coast/Bay Area beers you might fancy) I'd be willing to trade for Three Floyd's Zombie Dust and/or Alpha King.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

ok gang, i need a specific case of 3 different New Glarus fruited beers

2 four packs of Belgian Red
1 four pack of Raspberry Tart
1 four pack of Strawberry Rhubarb

i live in Tampa and have easy access to all Angry Chair, Cigar City, and 7venth Sun.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
There was a goon that mention Plank'd from Avery and I have not seen that hit here. Was wondering if anyone could send me 2-3 bottles.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm still looking for someone to do semi regular trades with. So if you have some good highlights or some really good breweries in your area, I'm down.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Anyone in Wisconsin? I really just want some Uff-da bock from New Glarus.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Someone from Chicago please hook up a can or two of VSOJ, thanks :allears:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Still ISO VSOJ, would like two cans! Also down for the other barrel aged cans that just came out.

FT: Ale Apothecary club bottles, Jester King, whatever else from Texas (but not like magnums)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
anyone in New Mexico? i just read about Bow and Arrow and would love to try something of theirs

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Teepee pale ale
RED ale
White man cream ale
Double Indigenous pale ale
Long Creek lager

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Breakfast Bandit Imperial Stout (Seasonal)

For this Pastry-inspired stout, we added 65lbs of Krispy Kreme donuts and infused with coffee from local roaster, Cutbow Coffee. The result is wafts of coffee on the nose, a light sweetness upfront, followed by roasted coffee notes and finishing with flavors of silky chocolate and vanilla. 9.0% ABV

:yum:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
our taproom manager- who is an avid homebrewer- is like 25% Native American, so i really only want the beer to gift to him (although i think it's loving rad that this place exists)

also, Bury My Hops at Wounded Knee

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

In extremely Wayne’s World voice:
I’ll have a pint of white man cream

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 29, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

One of my traders had to back out so I have an extra box. It’s a mix of my local stuff 2x Cellarmaker, 2x Fieldwork and 3x Alvarado Street and 1x Almanac. All singles, mix of IPAs and sours. Let me know!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Any of the PNW Goons near Gigantic? Looking to snag a bottle each of these after they come out:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dark-horse-gigantic-brewing-hellboy-beer/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

More interested in the bottles than the beers themselves, though an English Barleywine from Gigantic sounds loving tight.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah I can get those for you, gigantic does a BA barleywine called Massive that's fairly good as well.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone here in Nashville?

ISO: Bearded Iris Pharmacy Pils

FT: Lagers/pilsners from Austin

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

ISO strawberry jacket. I just want a single can. Halp.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

deedee megadoodoo posted:

ISO strawberry jacket. I just want a single can. Halp.

It's gonna hit 100 tomorrow and I am sure a Neckbeard is going to die waiting in line so enjoy your blood beer.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

danbanana posted:

It's gonna hit 100 tomorrow and I am sure a Neckbeard is going to die waiting in line so enjoy your blood beer.

The blood will make it taste better.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The blood will make it taste better.

Still ISO sj/vsoj if anyone has cans making GBS threads up their shelves and don't mind shipping to sweden for cash.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Who needs what? Got a long reach in LA\OC area. hmu.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

incoherent posted:

Who needs what? Got a long reach in LA\OC area. hmu.

Obviously I’m going to ask if you’re able to get Monkish. But are there any other breweries down where worth checking out?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Obviously I’m going to ask if you’re able to get Monkish. But are there any other breweries down where worth checking out?

Homage (pomona, eventually chinatown), Highland park brewery have wonderful IPAs, stouts, sours (I don't drink IPAs, but I bring em and they get snatched up immediately and always asked for m). Monkish is a bit far for can releases for me tbh, but they never worth the wait no matter what hazebro tells you. Access to the bruery and their sours. They also do hazys as well through offshoot.

Sours we've got Dry river who make amazing sours and Saison.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone in NYC willing to do a pickup?
https://grimmales.com/event/gathering-with-jester-king-waffling-release-2019-11-16/

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

I’m planning on going over Saturday. Do you just want the one bottle?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I’m planning on going over Saturday. Do you just want the one bottle?

It sounds like there's no limit? 4 would be awesome if you can do it! Let me know if you want something from Jester King bottles to go, or if you're down for cost+shipping

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

air- posted:

It sounds like there's no limit? 4 would be awesome if you can do it! Let me know if you want something from Jester King bottles to go, or if you're down for cost+shipping

Can do. Will message you Saturday!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Gigantic in Portland is selling a set of 7 barleywines. I'd like to get my hands on that. It's $90 for the set. I can do cost + label if anyone can help me out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gonna throw this out again.

Looking for someone to do semi-regular trades with (once a month or once every two months). I'm in the Bay Area and have access to Cellarmaker, Fieldwork, Alvarado Street, Russian River, Revision and a bunch of other stuff. Not looking for super rare beers or anything like that.

I want to do 2x or 1x of each beer (which I know is hard for something like Monkish or Other Half since you have to buy a 4x, but willing to work with it) Just good quality beers. I really like Other Half, Trillium, Treehouse, Toppling Goliath etc. I already have a frequent trader for Tried Hands. I'm mostly a IPA/DIPA kinda dude. But open to stouts and sours...

Let me know.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

Gonna throw this out again.

Looking for someone to do semi-regular trades with (once a month or once every two months). I'm in the Bay Area and have access to Cellarmaker, Fieldwork, Alvarado Street, Russian River, Revision and a bunch of other stuff. Not looking for super rare beers or anything like that.

I want to do 2x or 1x of each beer (which I know is hard for something like Monkish or Other Half since you have to buy a 4x, but willing to work with it) Just good quality beers. I really like Other Half, Trillium, Treehouse, Toppling Goliath etc. I already have a frequent trader for Tried Hands. I'm mostly a IPA/DIPA kinda dude. But open to stouts and sours...

Let me know.

Don’t drink hazy anymore but work close to Monkish. I go every now and then for friends and could sell you stuff at cost. However, I’ll only do 4 packs since I’ll never drink the left overs.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Looking for some $4$ trades and in all honesty I will most likely be willing to trade down.

ISO:
-Fresh West Coast IPAs(Russian River, Beachwood, El Segundo, Port, Pizza Port, etc open for whatever as long as it is good and not hazy/NE IPAs)
-Milds, Bitters/ESBs, English Pales(Civil Life, Forest and Main, Machinehouse, Hogshead, etc open for whatever as long as it is good)
-Oxbow Luppolo

FT:Anything available in the Chicago market in distro. Just give me an idea of what you are into and I can give you a list of local and non-local options you might not get.

obi_ant posted:

Let me know.

I can get you Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, MORE, Phase Three, Half Acre, Alarmist, Old Irving, Maplewood, Pipeworks, Marz, Toppling Goliath, etc for IPAs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Besides ESB/mild, if you're down to expand to other crushable styles like lagers, kolsch, I can fill up a six shipper from Austin and send cans/crowlers your way.

Lagers are the big style around here, but some local breweries have started doing really good west coast ipas lately to change things up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8wmXnMFPlz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

Don’t drink hazy anymore but work close to Monkish. I go every now and then for friends and could sell you stuff at cost. However, I’ll only do 4 packs since I’ll never drink the left overs.

Sending you a PM.

Fat Lou posted:

I can get you Hop Butcher, Saint Errant, MORE, Phase Three, Half Acre, Alarmist, Old Irving, Maplewood, Pipeworks, Marz, Toppling Goliath, etc for IPAs.

Sending you a PM.