Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
he could have kept that on the pavement. he focused on his target and chose the worst way to try to bail on that braking zone.

the braking zone is down hill then up hill and bends to the left while you're trying to go from 120mph+ to 45.

he could have bailed left and just completely give up anything resembling an entry as long as no one was behind him. even trying to do that and spinning out would have probably stayed mostly on the pavement... might slide down the hill and hit the tires at 25mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Was that a time trial or hpde 3 pro?

Either way thanks for reminding me why I want a cheap track car with lots of safety equipment.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
red group in Chin

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Private track day with my pals, better than a day in the office :clint:.

Re71R are hax. Wilwood track/street pads are not good enough for the track.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

I don't like to talk bad about organizers of events, but what the actual gently caress. The type of idiot passes both the Porsche and Mustang were doing should have earned them a Black Flag and then a 'Pack your poo poo up' speech.

People say 'Point by is safe'... yea... My rear end. We don't do point bys, but we don't allow Apex passing because... why should I give up my line for you. It's a lapping day.

And why is the Mustang driver wearing a karting doughnut??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fuzz_83 posted:

I don't like to talk bad about organizers of events, but what the actual gently caress. The type of idiot passes both the Porsche and Mustang were doing should have earned them a Black Flag and then a 'Pack your poo poo up' speech.

People say 'Point by is safe'... yea... My rear end. We don't do point bys, but we don't allow Apex passing because... why should I give up my line for you. It's a lapping day.

And why is the Mustang driver wearing a karting doughnut??

Yeah watching it again I'm confused. I thought it was just like an open passing session, but there are totally several cars giving point-bys. So.. what the hell is going on when he's just blowing past cars in the corners?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I still point in open passing sessions, it lets them know that I know they are there and where they will be. I also appreciate getting points.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i gave point bys in chump, lol

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't get why you'd even want to do a trackday with passing in corners. If you want that just go to a drat testing day instead, it's bad enough when you get race teams turning up to a normal trackday.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
What’s the word on Direzza Star Spec Z3s?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

track day bro! posted:

I don't get why you'd even want to do a trackday with passing in corners. If you want that just go to a drat testing day instead, it's bad enough when you get race teams turning up to a normal trackday.

some people are cowards and know that all the hp in the world won’t let them win a race

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Frond posted:

What’s the word on Direzza Star Spec Z3s?

I’ve run the regular z3s for two track days on my evo. Is there a star spec version?

In any case I haven’t noticed much of a difference between the z3 and the z2 star spec that I was running previously. Same track performance, maybe a little louder on the highway. I haven’t tried them in the wet though.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
How are they wearing? I love the RE71R but their lifespan is very short.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Frond posted:

How are they wearing? I love the RE71R but their lifespan is very short.

Great actually, no chunking, still plenty of tread left. I’ll update after my next day in August; I really only drive it to and from tracks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you're looking for long lasting, most enduro teams run RS4s are report they wear extremely well.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Crustashio posted:

If you're looking for long lasting, most enduro teams run RS4s are report they wear extremely well.

My experience has been ~25-50% longer than the re71r's. Not quite as much grip (pretty close) but they like a larger slip angle as well, so they lack that "sticky/planted" feel that some people love.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I have a set of RS4s in the garage to try when my RE71s are dead. I have 5 days on the Bridgestones, and I can probably get 1 more. I like slip angle, so maybe I'll like the RS4s.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bought another set of pads but I really don't want to deal with swapping them out right now because :effort:. I probably should though.

Do these look low enough that they should be swapped out before I show up to the track?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KillHour posted:

I bought another set of pads but I really don't want to deal with swapping them out right now because :effort:. I probably should though.

Do these look low enough that they should be swapped out before I show up to the track?

Hard to tell exactly how much is left and how much was originally there. If you have time I'd swap them, if not bring them to the track and keep a close eye on pads.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hard to tell exactly how much is left and how much was originally there. If you have time I'd swap them, if not bring them to the track and keep a close eye on pads.

Comparing them to brand new ones, they look like they're about 50%. The HPDE worksheet did say to make sure your pads are at least 80%. I'm definitely going to bring the new pads and tools with me. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to be yelled at for not having pristine pads.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Comparing them to brand new ones, they look like they're about 50%. The HPDE worksheet did say to make sure your pads are at least 80%. I'm definitely going to bring the new pads and tools with me. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to be yelled at for not having pristine pads.

I've done at least 10 HPDEs and have never had my pads looked at during tech. I guess depending on the sanctioning body your HPDE could be different though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think once, someone asked me to turn my wheels at tech to take a gander at the pads. Just one front wheel and he was satisfied.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Most places seem to be "self tech" but maybe check your lug nuts aren't going to fall off. They did this once and didn't even have the right socket size (it was a Miata at a PCA track day) to check it so I had to supply it for them. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's self tech. I just want to make sure I'm bring safe and following all the precautions. My car isn't a hooptie, so if the lug nuts fall off, I did something REALLY bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I remember when I [american] rallycrossed my Crown Vic, the teenagers running tech asked me to pop the trunk just so they could see how many bodies you could fit in it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KillHour posted:

It's self tech. I just want to make sure I'm bring safe and following all the precautions. My car isn't a hooptie, so if the lug nuts fall off, I did something REALLY bad.

Check the pads after every session, swap pads in the parking lot when you get to 10% remaining.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’d just swap the pads now and toss the current set into the spares box.

I don’t like working on cars in general.

I seriously don’t like working on cars in the track paddock.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Best part is pad delamination can be easy to miss when you're just casually looking between sessions

dont ask how i know

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I say it depends on the track. if you're going to be doing heavy braking after a long straight I'd say definitely change them because the RS is a fat piggie.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I emailed the instructor and he said to just leave them on and if we have to swap them out at the track, he'll help me and let me use his tools.

Which I mean... free labor. Can't say no to that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
bring some thick gloves :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

I emailed the instructor and he said to just leave them on and if we have to swap them out at the track, he'll help me and let me use his tools.

Which I mean... free labor. Can't say no to that.

Sounds like a good deal to me! Jacking the car up takes longer than swapping the pads haha.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Sounds like a good deal to me! Jacking the car up takes longer than swapping the pads haha.

Apparently, the rears are a bitch to get the calipers back in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PaintVagrant posted:

I've done at least 10 HPDEs and have never had my pads looked at during tech. I guess depending on the sanctioning body your HPDE could be different though.

Same. Heck at my last HPDE I ran one of my pads down to the metal, and I was a little concerned if I should go out on the last session or not. They told me to send it lol.

But definitely take the time to replace your pads if they're low before you get out there.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If these are rears, make sure this dude has whatever tool you need to screw the caliper back in.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

you probably don't need to do the rears. rake is hell on front brakes but the rears get to hang out.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

bring some thick gloves :v:

Seconded lol. My wheels are so hot you can't take them off.

But, also, fuckin send it.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Same. Heck at my last HPDE I ran one of my pads down to the metal, and I was a little concerned if I should go out on the last session or not. They told me to send it lol.

But definitely take the time to replace your pads if they're low before you get out there.

Don't let someone else tell you what's good or not. Learn to do your own nut and bolt check, ask a friend to tell you what thing are to look for etc.

Most every event I do is self-tech. There are almost no mechanical issues. I've been to 2 events with tech and they went like this: I roll up with my car, guy hands me the tech sticker and says... can you look at this guys car I have a question if his rotors are safe. Micro-cracks everywhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fuzz_83 posted:

Don't let someone else tell you what's good or not. Learn to do your own nut and bolt check, ask a friend to tell you what thing are to look for etc.

Most every event I do is self-tech. There are almost no mechanical issues. I've been to 2 events with tech and they went like this: I roll up with my car, guy hands me the tech sticker and says... can you look at this guys car I have a question if his rotors are safe. Micro-cracks everywhere.

I did do my own check...

Thanks guy but I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Well, I managed a 1:41:16 at Charlotte Motor Speedway infield course B. Not too shabby. The pass-front side is stopping better than the driver-front side, which I'll have to investigate, but everything else is holding up well. I MAY have gotten a little bit too much rotation into the rear end, though. It's a little difficult to trailbrake at this point, but it does make it a little bit easier to adjust my line if I miff the turn-in.