Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm not offended by called bell peppers bitter, but rather that you had to Google the taste profile of a loving vegetable

So someone couldn’t argue with me if the vegetable was bitter or not. Find a source for the claim. But it didn’t stop you oh well.

Edit: like seriously if someone is saying peppers are bitter and another person says they aren’t then me chiming in to say they are bitter won’t add much to the he said/he said. Have some sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Coredump posted:

So someone couldn’t argue with me if the vegetable was bitter or not. Find a source for the claim. But it didn’t stop you oh well.

I think you are confusing me with david a

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I think you are confusing me with david a

No, no I’m not.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Toxic Mental posted:

Also am I crazy or is the cheese pizza better than the pepperoni? I swear the pepperoni has like 3x less cheese the regular plain cheese pizza

Correct. One has a ton more cheese.

I feel like the pepperoni is often just a greasy mess with soggy crust and toppings that just slid right off in a pool of grease, and often undercooked slightly. However, when you got a slice of pepp where the crust is still holding up with nice almost-burnt taste, the cheese is nice and brown and pepperonis are curled and crispy all holding together, and for some odd reason it's all holding together, it's really quite good. Unfortunately, that's just too rare. the cheese is more consistently a a lot better because its less greasy so it ends up more having nice browned cheese and a cooked crust.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

I normally get with toppings but I had my first cheese slice at Costco in like 20 years and dear lord that's a Lotta cheese

Its almost too much cheese. Almost. :D

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Bigchops posted:

Digital membership cards are coming. You didn't hear it from me.

It’s already available in Canada, at least.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lazyhound posted:

It’s already available in Canada, at least.

Really? Is that part of the app?

I am hesitant to hand over my phone to get it swiped on the scanner like a flat of tomato paste.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I assume it's probably going to be like whole foods where there's a scanner on your side of the register and you just open the app and put it under the reader.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

peppers suck rear end on pizza, sorry but it’s true.

you suck rear end on pizza!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm not offended by called bell peppers bitter, but rather that you had to Google the taste profile of a loving vegetable

Lemons are sour, citrusy, tart, crisp

You’re a weirdo if you call a lemon bitter :henget:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bell peppers on pizza are fine, but the reason I don't go for the combo is that I don't like onions on pizza.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Bell peppers on pizza are fine, but the reason I don't go for the combo is that I don't like onions on pizza.

I couldn't agree more. Big cloves of garlic? No problem. Onions just get nasty on pizza.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
yo check THIS out

- Buy a Costco Cheese Pizza, request un-sliced.
- Bring home
- Saute additional toppings in pan
- Add to pizza.
-Cut
-Serve

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
who on earth is actually gonna do that and not go "gently caress it" and just eat the pizza plain

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

binge crotching posted:

I couldn't agree more. Big cloves of garlic? No problem. Onions just get nasty on pizza.

Sauted vidallia onions are real good, but nobody does that so I've only done it on homemade pizza.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Chinatown posted:

yo check THIS out

- Bring home
- Add to pizza.
-Cut
-Serve

Not a bad call but you have to be careful about adding toppings post-bake. For some reason it's not the same. I used to do it all the time in college but the main idea is to keep it simple.

Like maybe finely dice some garlic and saute that in some olive oil and brush it on, then maybe hit it with some basic veg. It's easy to overdo it for some reason, in my experience at least.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My Costco renewal is coming up and debating continuing with gold star or going up to executive. We had exec in the past but the money back coupons were a bit of a pain because I’d always forget to bring them. Or even forget to use them if I had them in my wallet all tucked away.

If the app allowed you to use those as well as being the membership card that would be rad.

Any other perks on exec worth it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Taima posted:

Not a bad call but you have to be careful about adding toppings post-bake. For some reason it's not the same. I used to do it all the time in college but the main idea is to keep it simple.

Like maybe finely dice some garlic and saute that in some olive oil and brush it on, then maybe hit it with some basic veg. It's easy to overdo it for some reason, in my experience at least.

This guy knew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdfztAY3qoU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
for the record I am indeed extremely offended that there exist people who describe bell peppers as “bitter”

But apparently that can happen if the peppers get too little water when growing.

I wonder if it’s also one of those foods like cilantro or white pepper that tastes radically different for some people.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Bell peppers are delicious. I can and have eaten them on their own like an apple.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think they can be a little bitter if you buy them green instead of ripe. But not super bitter, just a little. Ripe bell peppers are sweet, especially if you cook them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Bell Peppers and Onions are delicious. I can eat a whole pizza of just bell peppers and onions. EXTRA ONIONS EXTRA PEPPERS EXTRA CHEESE

Supreme Pizza is good.

Unrelated Costco: I had a fig and arugula pizza with prosciutto and it was P. GOOD.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Chinatown posted:

yo check THIS out

- Bring home
- Add to pizza.
-Cut
-Serve

Sauté all the additional toppings before hitting up the Co, bring them in using a cooler lunch box you got in a box of 2 for $19.99 last members appreciation sale, and request them added prior to bake.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

i am harry posted:

Sauté all the additional toppings before hitting up the Co, bring them in using a cooler lunch box you got in a box of 2 for $19.99 last members appreciation sale, and request them added prior to bake.

Inspiring idea, but don't you mean a super-kawaii insulted Zoji bentu for optimal retained warmth?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

priznat posted:

My Costco renewal is coming up and debating continuing with gold star or going up to executive. We had exec in the past but the money back coupons were a bit of a pain because I’d always forget to bring them. Or even forget to use them if I had them in my wallet all tucked away.

If the app allowed you to use those as well as being the membership card that would be rad.

Any other perks on exec worth it?

How long ago is the past? Because I know they changed the threshold for the money back on Executive at one point in the last couple years. It no longer made sense for us (just me and my gf) to pay the executive membership when we stopped clearing that new requirement.

Edit: Costco is on the other side of town for us and we have HEB which is nearly as good when it comes to deals and employee treatment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

How long ago is the past? Because I know they changed the threshold for the money back on Executive at one point in the last couple years. It no longer made sense for us (just me and my gf) to pay the executive membership when we stopped clearing that new requirement.

Edit: Costco is on the other side of town for us and we have HEB which is nearly as good when it comes to deals and employee treatment.

It was a couple years ago, we weren’t buying enough to really make the difference worthwhile. Probably would be now but I just really don’t like the system of having to bring in the paper for the store credits.

Also only letting the primary cardholder use it sucks too.

Granted these are just because I’m too dumb to remember to bring it or use it if I have it, but still :downs:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

binge crotching posted:

The problem is that the onions need to be at minimum par-cooked first

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I went to Costco today and got gas. I also cancelled my Sams club membership today. I will continue to grumble whenever I'm in line to checkout that at Sams I coulda just used the app and skipped this.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

david_a posted:

for the record I am indeed extremely offended that there exist people who describe bell peppers as “bitter”

But apparently that can happen if the peppers get too little water when growing.

I wonder if it’s also one of those foods like cilantro or white pepper that tastes radically different for some people.

Bell peppers are deffo a bit bitter, not like horrendously so but I can't say I'm a huge fan. Besides whats really the point of a pepper with no heat, much rather just slice up jalapeno or serrano or such. If you really want something super mild anaheim, pasilla, and poblano are all way better. I'm always mildly disappointed when I get bell peppers with something, they look pretty I guess.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 18, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ArbitraryC posted:

. I'm always mildly disappointed when I get bell peppers with something, they look pretty I guess.

This is 100% me. I always bite into a bell pepper and just vastly disappointed because I’m expecting more... flavor and spice. They have none and just vaguely fiber-y sweet. I generally prefer putting pablanos or Serrano or something in my food instead—at least it brings heat to the table.

There are some use cases like making a Romesco sauce but otherwise, meh

As you say, they look pretty I guess is mostly their function.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Bell peppis are godly raw dipped in ranch.

Has anyone tried the cashew clusters with pumpkin seeds? They look really dry but I love pumpkin seeds.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

priznat posted:

It was a couple years ago, we weren’t buying enough to really make the difference worthwhile. Probably would be now but I just really don’t like the system of having to bring in the paper for the store credits.

Also only letting the primary cardholder use it sucks too.

Granted these are just because I’m too dumb to remember to bring it or use it if I have it, but still :downs:

If you don't get enough money from the executive membership to pay for itself, you can just talk to someone at the membership desk and they'll give you the difference back. Yeah it's an extra step, but no matter what, you will get back the extra $60 it costs for executive. And it could be more if you make any big purchases like furniture or a TV or a set of tires. Here's the list of all the Costco services, people aren't even aware of most of them, because they're probably unnecessary, but it's cool that they offer all that stuff.

https://www.costco.com/services.html

It really just depends on your needs though. I'm just a single man who lives alone. The only reason I have the executive membership is because I don't have to pay for it, otherwise I would only have the basic gold star membership. But it certainly is nice to get a 2% rebate check back every year for a free membership, mine was like $125 this year due to a couple large purchases.

And as far as bringing in a piece of paper to get the rebate, I personally think it's a dumb thing to be picky about. But maybe when you get it in the mail you could just fold it up and out it in your wallet so you don't have to worry about forgetting to bring it in when you go.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If you're not spending thousands of dollars per year at Costco then what are you even doing with a membership, or your life in general?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pretty sure when I was single I made up the executive cost in booze alone.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

:yeah:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

phosdex posted:

I went to Costco today and got gas. I also cancelled my Sams club membership today. I will continue to grumble whenever I'm in line to checkout that at Sams I coulda just used the app and skipped this.

Please be comforted by the fact that you are supporting a company that treats its employees like human beings, instead of funneling dollars to a family of ghouls who have hoarded $160+ billion. Your minor inconvenience is worth it.

:thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

binge crotching posted:

if costco sold weed, oh my loving god yeah. alcohol doesn't agree with me these days so we rarely buy booze unless its a party, but i could see that. Since it's just me and my gf in our small 1br apartment, we don't really buy enough from there to make executive worth it. It looks like the minimum is spending $3,000 a year / $250 a month to make it worth it. I think we probably do about $1500 tops, maybe $2000 on some more splurge-ier years.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I saw someone dipping their sacramental dog into a jar of hot peppers they'd bought. It was revelatory.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Relevant Tangent posted:

I saw someone dipping their sacramental dog into a jar of hot peppers they'd bought. It was revelatory.

Were the peppers chopped up in some way or were they dipping their dog into brine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Richard M Nixon posted:

Were the peppers chopped up in some way or were they dipping their dog into brine?

I call it a "salty dog"