Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I get hardcore Space Station 13 vibes from this season, but that's probably inevitable since that game's been basically a Sealab game forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Earth is DEFINITELY the point where Archer wakes up. He's really obviously fighting it now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 18, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Earth is DEFINITELY the point where Archer wakes up. He's really obviously fighting it now.

Yeah, I got that impression, too. Also, the teaser for the next episode shows that he might go into a coma coma... maybe. You know how misleading those teasers can be.

I like how well Archer was able to make "space cowboys" stick through dogged perseverance and good ol' fashioned pluck. We got some choice "space phrasing"'s in there, too. And there was a nice callback to Ray's previous life as a crisis manager for ISIS[.

"Go have an Earth-baby."

haha and lest we forget... SPACE OCELOT! (And I did not see that deus ex machina coming, but I knew something cool was about to happen when all the eyes began glowing in the darkness.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This last one and Mr. Deadly show the writers definitely still have that spark if they get the right concept to play with.

Really the weakest episodes were the two Barry ones this season.

Edit: \/ it never clicked with me why I got tired of Barry so fast until I read that. You're right, he's best when he's a shitlord everybody dunks on just like Archer.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 18, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Barry vs. Archer was never that funny, watching everyone else around Barry dunk on him constantly never got old. Episode 2 needed space Len Trexler to tell him not to be lovely.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Killing Jagov was the jumping the shark moment

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah for me Cyborg Barry was the point at which the show started to lose its magic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Renewed for S11 and he wakes up

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Seems kinda weird they’d reveal that before the season finale

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah but WOOOOOOOO.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Davros1 posted:

Renewed for S11 and he wakes up

The impossible dream has become a reality!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ok, that Space Pirates episode was awesome.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stopped watching after the 1950's series, but I'm definitely coming back if he wakes up in 11.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It's bonkers to me that anyone would prefer old ISIS-era Archer to what we're getting now, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

I like Barry in any form, he's like the manifestation of Actions Have Consequences and I enjoy whenever Archer has to deal with the results of his lovely, short-sighted behavior.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Turtlicious posted:

I stopped watching after the 1950's series, but I'm definitely coming back if he wakes up in 11.

Archer 99 is really good. It's better if you get all the space show references but the really good ones are perfectly fine standalone. Mr. Deadly is brilliant and everyone I've shown it to has loved it and at least committed to watching the rest of this Archer season because of it. My brother has always assumed he didn't like scifi and has taken a few show recommendations to try out the genre after liking some of the space drama from other episodes in the season.

I'd watch 8 seasons of Archer 99 if they could keep the content coming but it's a bit hit or miss right now so it's probably a good thing they are only doing a single season of space.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Mr. Deadly probably belongs in the top ten episodes of the last 8 or so seasons.

Have to exclude seasons one and two because of how crazy solid they are though

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Archer 99 is entertaining enough, but I feel like so much of it relies of space [old reference] that it couldn't work for more than a season. Also Ray is my favorite character and I hate how he's been totally sidelined.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mokinokaro posted:

Have to exclude seasons one and two because of how crazy solid they are though

The "Pelé of anal" joke is still maybe the best single joke ever to air on television.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Somberbrero posted:

It's bonkers to me that anyone would prefer old ISIS-era Archer to what we're getting now, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

I like Barry in any form, he's like the manifestation of Actions Have Consequences and I enjoy whenever Archer has to deal with the results of his lovely, short-sighted behavior.

They gave an interview about the setup for S11 it’s sounding almost like they’re taking the character flexibility of the last three seasons and applying it to the spy agency theme of the first four. Everyone has moved on and been allowed to grow and change without Archer acting as a lodestone. Cyril has matured and grown competent without Archer constantly belittling him while Archer has to deal with his skills and muscles atrophying over the three years he was in a coma. No one is really happy to see him since he just reminds them of who they used to be while he keeps acting like nothing has changed.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They gave an interview about the setup for S11 it’s sounding almost like they’re taking the character flexibility of the last three seasons and applying it to the spy agency theme of the first four. Everyone has moved on and been allowed to grow and change without Archer acting as a lodestone. Cyril has matured and grown competent without Archer constantly belittling him while Archer has to deal with his skills and muscles atrophying over the three years he was in a coma. No one is really happy to see him since he just reminds them of who they used to be while he keeps acting like nothing has changed.

I... actually like that premise. Ok, I'm in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That's fantastic. I think on order for a comedy television show to remain funny, it needs some kind of character development, otherwise you're just telling the same jokes over and over. That sounds like a very solid premise.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In a surprise twist, Archer becomes an Arby's spokesman

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Archer goes off to work at a summer camp.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Azhais posted:

In a surprise twist, Archer becomes an Arby's spokesman

It is so disconcerting every time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of the ideas they actually floated for the coma seasons was the gang working at "Archerbees"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My bets on some other things that have changed are: Pam and Cheryl are married, Cheryl is properly medicated and sane, Kreiger is a respected and successful scientist, Lana is head of her own spy agency and dating a male model, and Ray is a cyborg super hero.

Basically it's like a reverse version of it's a wonderful life, everything is better with Archer gone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My bets on some other things that have changed are: Pam and Cheryl are married, Cheryl is properly medicated and sane, Kreiger is a respected and successful scientist, Lana is head of her own spy agency and dating a male model, and Ray is a cyborg super hero.

Basically it's like a reverse version of it's a wonderful life, everything is better with Archer gone.

One thing I'm hoping for is Barry has let go of his hatred of Archer and offers him genuine compassion

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was gonna stick around anyway but I'm definitely interested now. Already laughing at ray

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I'm hoping for is Barry has let go of his hatred of Archer and offers him genuine compassion

Let's be honest, he'll be married to Lana

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Archer will become the new Brett

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
This was a pretty good episode despite them giving the game away early.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

No.1 Special posted:

This was a pretty good episode despite them giving the game away early.

I think that if they didn't do it here, that it would feel rushed when it started happening in the finale.

I really liked the episode. But man, at the end, when Woodhouse showed up, I choked up a little. The first coma season was ostensibly about finding Woodhouse's murderer, which paralleled the non-comatose characters' discovery that Woodhouse had actually died. Now, it feels like that has come full circle. It was poignant.

And I don't think they really gave the game away because there isn't a game to give away. Everyone watching the show knows that this is a coma dream, and anyone following the show seriously knows that this has been the case for a few seasons.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 25, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Archer 1999: is it firm enough to put it in the box?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Archer 1999: is it firm enough to put it in the box?

Goonphrasing!

And make this the title, please.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I could have used a little more "mystery cube hi-jinks" and a little less "extended scene of Archer trying to choke Lana with a magazine" in that one but I see where they're going.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I kinda wanted to see a Q-bert-looking alien.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The only thing I don't like about that outline is that it implies Lana has moved on and is annoyed to have Archer back too. I'm fine with everyone else having moved on and not liking how he reminds them of their past, but Archer and Lana actually seemed to be having something approaching a happy and healthy relationship before he went in to the coma, and her being over it and just wanting him to leave her alone feels a bit odd against that. It seems more like the kind of thing where she should be consciously happy to have him back, but can't really jive with him anymore because of how she's changed in his absence more than her just wanting him gone.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 25, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just binged about 6 of these episodes.

Didn't hate it, and kinda liked it I guess. Still not as good as some of the pre-coma stuff but it is still fun just to hangout with the characters.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Pretty good finale. Jessica Walter was great in the last part. Can't wait to see if Archer is able to claw his way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Really liked all the gags in this episode. Especially with the bit with the sentry guns.