Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Probably a stupid question but is there a continuous story in the Luigi’s Mansion series? I’ve never played those games but I’d like to before 3 comes out. However it seems that the original’s price on GameCube has ballooned, so I’m thinking it might be best to just play 3 and go back to the originals when the hype for 3 has died down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Probably a stupid question but is there a continuous story in the Luigi’s Mansion series? I’ve never played those games but I’d like to before 3 comes out. However it seems that the original’s price on GameCube has ballooned, so I’m thinking it might be best to just play 3 and go back to the originals when the hype for 3 has died down.

Luigi get ghost. Use egads vacuum!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

If you have a 3DS it was remade for that system. The second one is 3ds exclusive too so just do it that way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

Lol I'm gonna buy re4 on switch again.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-5-and-6-switch-release-dates-triple-/1100-6468467/

Unknown if I'll use those download codes.

gently caress yeah!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you have a 3DS it was remade for that system. The second one is 3ds exclusive too so just do it that way.

Oh nice, thanks for the tip. I’ll try to scoop that up instead then

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I mean there is a continuous story but it’s basically King Boo getting loose somehow and Luigi and Gadd have to stop him.

The characters and the vibe is really charming, but you don’t need to have a deep understanding of Luigi lore to play any of them.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I mean there is a continuous story but it’s basically King Boo getting loose somehow and Luigi and Gadd have to stop him.

The characters and the vibe is really charming, but you don’t need to have a deep understanding of Luigi lore to play any of them.

That was the sense I was getting, it is a Mario spin-off after all. I might just go into 3 and ignore the other 2 for now

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

is Sega Classics good or is the emulation broken?
There's input lag in the emulation--it's not the best.

I would pick up the SEGA AGES titles you care about (all of them are very well done) and/or pick up the standalone Genesis Mini when it comes out in September.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

I truly seem to have the magic touch when it comes to ordering products immediately before a new revision comes out. I pulled the trigger on the Prime Day Switch bundle that comes with a $35 credit for the eShop. It's set to be delivered tomorrow, and I'm wondering if I should just immediately return it, and then pick up the revised Switch in another month (or whenever it's available). I'd guess that doing so would invalidate or cancel my eShop credit (which I haven't used any portion of yet, since I don't even have the Switch yet.)

The way I see it, the question then becomes- Am I willing to give up the $35 credit and also to wait an extra month (or whatever), for the sake of getting the revised hardware? I anticipate using my Switch in docked/console/non-portable mode the vast majority of the time, so the revisions might be less important to me than they'd be for others who are more focused on the portable mode. Any thoughts?

It’s just a bit more battery life, that’s it. Doesn’t matter at all if you’re docked, and even portable if buy a decent battery bank before I’d go through the trouble of returning your current one

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Luigi is the star of the not-licensed but might as well be Nintendo-Ghostbusters official crossover series, and being a massive Nintendo and Ghostbusters fan, I feel like Luigi is the better brother.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

The Kins posted:

The next Sega Ages game to get the remaster treatment is the arcade version of Columns 2. It'll be out "soon" on the JP eShop, so an international release probably won't be too long after.

Give us Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder you cowards. I don't even know if it's a good game, just fascinated it's never had a console release.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Marvel Ultimate Alliance is $50 for Prime Members now

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Ultimate-Alliance-Black-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07L6WMT8Z/

Why not... I need something new to play on my commute. Getting a bit tired of having to blindly download Mario Maker levels for on the go play

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Being able to batch download Mario Maker levels, play same-system multiplayer without downloading, and better Versus matchmaking...all these things would be simply lovely :)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Astro7x posted:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is $50 for Prime Members now

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Ultimate-Alliance-Black-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07L6WMT8Z/

Why not... I need something new to play on my commute. Getting a bit tired of having to blindly download Mario Maker levels for on the go play

Dang, I preordered it at the $60 price and it already shipped. I should still be covered under Amazon's preorder price guarantee since it hasn't technically released yet, right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

404notfound posted:

Dang, I preordered it at the $60 price and it already shipped. I should still be covered under Amazon's preorder price guarantee since it hasn't technically released yet, right?

On the phone with support now. I'm being issued a $10 compensation credit because of the price change before it's even delivered.

On hold now.

Promotion applied!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Just got a weird music-overlap glitch in FF9 after helping a friendly monster:

https://twitter.com/Rogue_Millipede/status/1152032593434431489

https://twitter.com/Rogue_Millipede/status/1152032974092640256

How's FF10? Still need to finish 9 & 7 first (and the rest of my backlog) but I'd like to know how it is for future reference. I hear 12 is not great though?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Procrastine posted:

How's FF10? Still need to finish 9 & 7 first (and the rest of my backlog) but I'd like to know how it is for future reference. I hear 12 is not great though?

I actually prefer 12 to 10 (mostly because I can't stand 10's main character or the character designs in general), but both are great and the last good single player Final Fantasy games to date.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry for the silly question but say I play one game the most: should I store it on my microSD or internal memory? Is there any discernible loading speeds between the two?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
10 is/"was" good. it kind of has the same problem as ff4. it was momentous and world-changing when it came out, but if you didn't play it when it at launch, or shortly thereafter, it's been ripped off of and redone so many dozens of times by other games since that it'll seem cliche and a retreading of ground you've seen a hundred times over the past twenty years. the graphical tech was staggering in 2001, but today is mundane or even ugly.

12... well it depends on what you're into. if you like making extremely simplistic AI trees, you might like the gameplay--and that, i tell you, is the entire extent of ff12's gameplay. if you like strong characters who change and grow, like ff9, 12 will leave you wanting because matsuno doesn't really know how to write characters.

if you like a story where the things you do affect the world and change it for the better, 12 fails here also; the story is "very political," but the part you actually play and participate in is just walking through drab MMO overworlds and dungeons. once in a while it'll cut away to senators stabbing each other in the back five thousand miles away from the mud pit you're currently rolling around in, and music swells while people you've never seen before and will never see again gasp dramatically. and then it'll cut back to vaan yawning and scratching his rear end in the middle of a swamp while basch grunts and ashe and the viera lady stand around waifishly.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Procrastine posted:

Just got a weird music-overlap glitch in FF9 after helping a friendly monster:

https://twitter.com/Rogue_Millipede/status/1152032593434431489

https://twitter.com/Rogue_Millipede/status/1152032974092640256

12 is utterly miserable from beginning to end, 10 has some good bits

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sorry for the silly question but say I play one game the most: should I store it on my microSD or internal memory? Is there any discernible loading speeds between the two?

It's going to go to the SD card anyway, which happens to be a few percent faster. It's a couple seconds difference on longer load screens.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If 10 had cutscene skip itd be astoundingly good instead its just merely 50% of what saved Square and genre defining.

12 is.... have you ever wanted a big budget cookie clicker game?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

404notfound posted:

If you're a prime member, the pre-order guarantee should have caught it at $52 at least. Usually you get the email within a week saying what the final price was.

I remember when Splatoon 2 was released I got the 20% off Prime Discount for $48 and it ended up dropping at some point to like $47.88 and they gave me the stupid 12 cents on it a week later.

But no clue if it shipped before the price changed

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I had the big assed HORI Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro preordered but changed my mind, cancelled it and preordered the 8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ instead. Now it looks like the Hori thing is unavailable everywhere. I hope I can get one later if the reviews are decent for them, just don't know if they are going to be limited run thing that will be impossible to find later on.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I forgot to ask about 10-2, any thoughts there?

Is there some technical reason they couldn't improve the load times for battles in FF9? It seems like such an obvious thing to improve but they didn't do it. Unless the previous versions somehow had even worse loading times?

Also lmao that enabling fast-forward in Chocobo Hot and Cold doesn't affect the timer so you can completely trivialise it

Barudak posted:

If 10 had cutscene skip itd be astoundingly good instead its just merely 50% of what saved Square and genre defining.

I think the Steam and Switch versions have cutscene skip

Barudak
May 7, 2007

X-2 has cutscene skip since that game came with it, X doesnt because I guess they spent the two years porting it making bad versions of the music???

Previous versions of 9 had even worse load times for battles. This is sped up.

X-2 is mechanically really good but the actual story story is not very good and it loving loves locking you out of content for not talking to everyone/revisiting everything before progressing the story to the point where you probably should play with a guide just to make sure you dont gently caress up things for yourself irreversably 20 hours from now.

Note: Im not talking about the 100% ending, gently caress that poo poo dont go for it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

People seem to have this either love it or hate it relationship with X-2. I barely started X long ago on my Vita, which a lot of people seem to hate? But it also seems like a new-age FF7 type of edgy hatred so idk

I wish both were on the cartridge.

Same with Bayonetta. What’s the cheapest way to get 1 & 2?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

People seem to have this either love it or hate it relationship with X-2

I wish both were on the cartridge.

Same with Bayonetta. What’s the cheapest way to get 1 & 2?

Buy a new copy of Bayo 2. It comes with a download code for 1. At least it did when I bought a physical copy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

If you're a prime member, the pre-order guarantee should have caught it at $52 at least. Usually you get the email within a week saying what the final price was.

I remember when Splatoon 2 was released I got the 20% off Prime Discount for $48 and it ended up dropping at some point to like $47.88 and they gave me the stupid 12 cents on it a week later.

But no clue if it shipped before the price changed

Following up on this... I bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance at $52 w/ Prime Savings. Called Amazon to have them price match the difference of $2, because why not... ended up giving me a $10 credit instead of $2. So now I just got the game for $42 new I guess. Neat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
7 is a much better game than 10. Anyone with a tolerance for JRPGs should play through 7, 10 is kind of nobody's favorite game.

People preferring bayonetta 2 to bayonetta 1 is the most upsetting popular video game opinion I know of.

I can't actually be helpful and answer your questions, I just wanted to give some hot takes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

d3lness posted:

Buy a new copy of Bayo 2. It comes with a download code for 1. At least it did when I bought a physical copy.

Honestly I think they don’t anymore? Some places might have some leftover stock they’re still clearing out, but yeah

Wait nvm I think Gamestop has it for $60. I think there’s just definitely physical copies of 2 out there that don’t have the code, for whatever reason

lol on the eshop 2 is $50 and 1 is $30

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 19, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No Wave posted:

7 is a much better game than 10. Anyone with a tolerance for JRPGs should play through 7, 10 is kind of nobody's favorite game.

People preferring bayonetta 2 to bayonetta 1 is the most upsetting popular video game opinion I know of.

I can't actually be helpful and answer your questions, I just wanted to give some hot takes.

10 is my favorite one :colbert:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I stand corrected. I didn't get through it but I started it years after its release, I didn't know anyone felt that way.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

No Wave posted:

7 is crap. Plenty of people love 10 (sphere grid progression is rad). Bayonetta 1 and 2 are both cool and good games. Where the hell is my Grandia 1+2 Switch release? Where is my SMT:V info? ATLUS, please release Persona 1-4 on the Switch as well. I don't care if this is an Arby's drive-thru.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Honestly I think they don’t anymore? Some places might have some leftover stock they’re still clearing out, but yeah

Wait nvm I think Gamestop has it for $60. I think there’s just definitely physical copies of 2 out there that don’t have the code, for whatever reason

When you buy either you get a coupon that'll make the other the difference between its price and $60.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I spent seventy five dollars on a pro controller.

It sucks. I just lose and die in Smash now because it regularly stops reading up or left or right

Barudak
May 7, 2007

X is the second most popular (sometimes most popular) in the franchise based on survey results. It also sold an unbelievable amount and between it and Kingdom Hearts fixed Squares massive financial hole after spirits within

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It applies a $20 discount if you buy both

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wonder if the bayonetta discount still applies if u use a voucher

Adbot