Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Andrast posted:

Don't play dota

No. I'm rocking my 1200 mmr and loving it, reaching for that 50% win rate baybee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have tried many times to quit dota, and if there's anything I've learned from my experiences of not playing Dota for 6+ months at a time it's not to do it because when you come back and recalibrate your MMR the game's gonna put you way below where you were so you'll have to waste a bunch of time gradually trying to get back to where you were pre-quit.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Alternatively, don't recalibrate and live a life of peace and harmony.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Garbage dota is the best dota. games where you don't know what the gently caress is going in but your spirit breaker has a midas and is beyond godlike.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

An interesting inversion of this story is that I've tried to play League with very little regularity for the last like...year or so, but it's really hard to really get a solid understanding of what each hero does because you can't play as them. I had to 1v1 against Riven I think her name is? and I still have no idea what she does. Dota even has tooltips saying "hey if you're having trouble against a certain hero, pick that hero so you can figure out what it's bad at" and that's for definitely true. There used to be a ton of hype around the all-hero challenge, and it's kind of sad that that's been dropping in favor of compendium challenges that require you to buy-in, because those sorts of incentives are great for new players to try all the heroes.

she presses the e button then the q button then the w button then the q button 2 more times and you die

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Alternatively, don't recalibrate and live a life of peace and harmony.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I only play dota on a Friday night with my buddy, its the only time of the week he gets away from his kid and wife and mine works Friday night's so its just turned into a nice arrangement. I'm archon and hes crusader so we are both shite but its still fun.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I only play dota on a Friday night with my buddy, its the only time of the week he gets away from his kid and wife and mine works Friday night's so its just turned into a nice arrangement. I'm archon and hes crusader so we are both shite but its still fun.

This is the way to play right here.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I do the same with my buddy from work. He's legend and I'm guardian and it works out well. If we get good cores, we both play support and just run all over the map making plays. If we don't, he'll either support me so I can get core practice or v.v and he gives me tips on playing support or he'll play mid and I'll do whatever.

It's fun and good and cool and we never get mad at each other and I'm getting better at the game :))))

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
My solo mmr is like 3k higher than my party mmr and i duo que with my buddys party mmr which like 1.2k or someshit and we get some real wacky ranked matches

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
is there any level of skill/experience matching in unranked matches? or is it just first 10 people to queue bam it's party time?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

awesmoe posted:

is there any level of skill/experience matching in unranked matches? or is it just first 10 people to queue bam it's party time?

there is

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

awesmoe posted:

afaik it's literally the same as ranked but the number just isn't displayed?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I think it's your hidden mmr, which is used to set up initial calibration and determine the variance used to make games worth more or less rank.

At least most mmr systems have the hidden and visible versions. Might be making this up, but yah they will use that hidden mmr from unranked to estimate your ranked mmr.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man the kid invoker set is uh...really really really bad

try guessing what this is

it's a Forge Spirit

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 20, 2019

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Aeons before he was recognized as the most dangerous magician alive—an ageless master of the arcane arts—the Invoker endured scholastic life as the adolescent star pupil at an ancient wizard's academy. Even as he excelled at every task set before him, and basked in the praise such aptitude afforded, the young Invoker dreamt of a future in which he answered to no one but himself, where he might finally be free to wield his growing powers however he saw fit.

Now, harnessing dangerous magics purloined from his headmaster's secret archives, young Carl has discovered the means to journey forward into his own timeline. Eager to insert himself prematurely into the moment of his greatest triumph, Carl is determined to prove to the world that aged or not, the illustrious arts of the Invoker can be bested by no one.

While he's confident that he's bound for triumphant adventure, had he read the entire description of the spell before casting it, the young magus would know that failure to accomplish his elder self's fated mission will result in each timeline's certain demise.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
How long until we get a Hello Neighbor Anti-Mage persona?

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
It's interesting how much money flows into this game for TI and Valve reciprocates with Young Invoker.

How skelatal is the skeleton crew servicing DotA?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dunite posted:

It's interesting how much money flows into this game for TI and Valve reciprocates with Young Invoker.

How skelatal is the skeleton crew servicing DotA?

At one point, someone in Valve said that the team who made Artifact was thirteen people, and that was the development of an entire game. So, almost definitely less than that, especially considering how infrequently they do content patches, which now only happen a few times a year. They also barely do any modeling, outsourcing most of that work. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the full-time Dota team was only like...five or six people, with a few more shifting over in December to start working on the Battle Pass

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Imo that sounds like a normal dev team, especially if you don't include whatever content/graphics folks you have. It's almost never a matter of dev quantity when it comes to software quality. You might have more in initial dev to support lots of fundamental systems, but ten years later I'd be very surprised if they had more than one scrum team on that poo poo. Might be one or two product people guiding that team in addition.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You'd think that more revenue would imply more investment, but at best I'd assume they put together a crack team to design the BP, hand of the concept to devs, and disband after execution.

People like chibi poo poo, esp Invoker weebs.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ILL Machina posted:

You'd think that more revenue would imply more investment, but at best I'd assume they put together a crack team to design the BP, hand of the concept to devs, and disband after execution.

People like chibi poo poo, esp Invoker weebs.

The invoker isn't chibi, or even cute a little bit. He doesn't even look like a kid, he looks like a WoW Dwarf. And the voice acting is terrible. I don't think it's an issue of needing more people, but I think ever since the art director who spearheaded the Dota team left it's really started to show.

like god, look at this ugly piece of poo poo. His head is H U G E. Bigger than the adult version literally right above him. You could do an entire comedy central roast about this motherfucker

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 21, 2019

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The voice acting is bad and I don't like that he has an American accent but adult Invoker is 100% the sort of guy that would put on an accent to sound more sophisticated.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The dragon in that splash art looks really bad too. Like the kind of dragon you'd see and underneath it is a link to the artist's furaffinity. I felt the same way about the dragon/gremlin things in Artifact too, so maybe the same guy

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

he looks like chucky

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

His looks make you want to kill him, so it's effective.

Playing last night I was also reminded that Lina's attack animation is the most inexcusable piece of poo poo in this game. The entire point of the hero is to increase attack speed maybe have that look decent?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It’s the classic 50’s American idea of a bratty little boy, like Dennis the Menace or Jack B Quick. Even has a cowlick.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Forward Gaming as a company/esports organization has shut down:

quote:

It’s hard to close a company. It’s even harder to close the company you’ve founded.

With a heavy heart, I regret to announce that Forward Gaming ceases to exist. As of today, all employees’ contracts are being released and our players become free agents.

I also regret to inform that we have to close the company with the debt remaining owed to the players. Due to insufficient financial results, we are unable to cover players’ salaries for July as well as $36,000 of players’ share of prize money (which was used to partly cover June’s salary).

Back in June we informed players about the company’s state and told them that we might shut down the team right after the Epicenter Major. However, we decided to wait until the end of TI qualifier in the hope that we would be able to overcome our financial difficulties. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.

I feel terrible for leaving our guys at the worst moment possible. We tried so hard to provide them with everything we could throughout the year and failed at the very end. This sucks.

I apologize to everyone who put their time and effort into Forward Gaming – our players, employees, and fans. I don’t know how to express our appreciation for your support and incredible dedication. Thank you.

And of course, I wish best of luck to our guys – Yawar, Quinn, Sney, Mojo, Pie, Kurtis and Jack. I hope you’ll kick some rear end in Shanghai, will be cheering for you like crazy.

Goodbye guys. All the best.

— David Dashtoyan, CEO July 21, 2019

P.S. To connect with team’s manager write to reachjackchen@gmail.com

https://forward.gg/2019/07/21/forward-gaming-termination/

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
That super sucks, esp because some garbo org is gonna pick them up on the condition that they won't cover their backpay. Is this IMT's or Optic's chance for free advertising?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zurreco posted:

That super sucks, esp because some garbo org is gonna pick them up on the condition that they won't cover their backpay. Is this IMT's or Optic's chance for free advertising?
return of the mouse

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Wonder if C9 is ever gonna get back into dota

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zurreco posted:

Immortals owns optic now

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Immortals owns optic now

Well there you go.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Yeah this is definitely time for mouzsports v7.0

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Well, if they're already invited and since Valve takes care of expenses, depending on the organization cut, they might come out ahead if they wing it if they can get past the group elimination stage, and likely definitely come out ahead if they can get past the BO1 elimination.

At 30 million pool and assuming the same distribution as last year (0.25% for qualifying, 0.50% getting to main stage, 1.5% getting past BO1 round) comes out to ~75k, 150k, 450k, requiring a org cut >48%, 24%, 8% respectively for breakeven over the 36k owed.

But yet another example of how the DOTA scene is heavily stacked to the best teams, with T2 teams barely scraping by if they aren't Alliance or Navi (or chinese, but how many of those are vanity projects of owners that also lose money?)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 22, 2019

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

whys the dang prize pool so big this year

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a reason they even need an org for TI?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
to organize a place for them to Bootcamp, travel to the place to Bootcamp, pay a coach, pay a salary while they boot camp so they have food to eat and can pay bills

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Is there a reason they even need an org for TI?

bootcamp, taxes, visas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Sphyre posted:

whys the dang prize pool so big this year

Epic announced a $30 mil prize pool for the Fortnite World Cup, and Dota fans weren't gonna take such an affront to their brand, so here we are, commodity fetishism rules