Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All that money's going to be grifted out of them before they die anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They gargled the hell out of trump's dick when he was running and now despise him for (shockingly) being a terrible president so yeah they'll give money to pretty much anyone who says anything they want to hear. The sad thing is they know full well that those scam calls from "family friends" asking for "some money" are never ever real under any circumstances because my great grandmother got scammed by a ton of them before she died. And yet, my grandpa was very proud of supporting america's next great stable genius, because presidential candidates definitely absolutely cannot get by without your money right?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 19, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Not really sure what you're objecting to here. Care to elaborate?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Koalas March posted:

My mom definitely tried (& succeeded for a long time) to handicap me this way including not letting me get a permit to drive at 16

Lol I'm coming to understand things about my life from this thread.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

evilpicard posted:

Lol I'm coming to understand things about my life from this thread.

Try having your parents sell the vehicle that you had specially customized with the expensive required hand controls, after something like 100 hours of time-consuming lessons...

Then realizing you had to complete the course all over a second time in order to get it done again...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

This is a lot of words to say "I didn't believe my kids when they told me Pop-Pop molested them, and now for some reason they don't talk to me?!"

The laat sentence sounds more like "I molested my kids but as adults they are unable to prove this beyond their own testimony, so who really knows what happened??? They should just get over it."

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 19, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Every one of those sites should have one guy on there who has no rules at all, he is just totally free to say "Your kid was raped and you sided with the rapist, you should actually loving live stream it when you kill yourself so I can see the world get better in real time"

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Motherfucker posted:

Every one of those sites should have one guy on there who has no rules at all, he is just totally free to say "Your kid was raped and you sided with the rapist, you should actually loving live stream it when you kill yourself so I can see the world get better in real time"

Brb, going to the rejected parents forum

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

unfortunately in practice it always turns out to be a guy who says poo poo like "what's the deal with consent laws anyway? children should be hosed, it's natural"

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

Anyway I'm super glad you got out of that situation even if it took a long time. Your life is your life and there's a lot of skills your parents never taught you but now you're in a position to learn, and I sincerely hope you thrive.

Catalina posted:

gently caress. If these dead gay forums were able to do that for you, let me know if you want Platinum to be able to send PM's to people. I'll definitely buy it for you.
Thank you both. The benefit of these forums being dead and gay is there there are a lot of people whove been around a long time who share their wisdom. I've learned a lot by paying attention to the people who have it together in threads like these. I'd be a worse person without these dead gay forums.

Plat would be awesome

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Brb, going to the rejected parents forum

totally off topic but: your username is from the jeeves and wooster books, right? she was the prankster that went out with bertie a few times?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Try having your parents sell the vehicle that you had specially customized with the expensive required hand controls, after something like 100 hours of time-consuming lessons...

Then realizing you had to complete the course all over a second time in order to get it done again...

Ouch. Nothing that comically evil for me, just refusing to allow me to learn to drive, apply to college, confiscating my birth certificate, etc.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Koalas March posted:

My mom definitely tried (& succeeded for a long time) to handicap me this way including not letting me get a permit to drive at 16

I posted earlier about my girlfriend's insane mother but man this post made me remember poo poo about my own upbringing I'd forgotten about.

My parents are both kind of control freaks (and divorced because of it). My mom for instance didn't let me learn to drive till 17 and then tried to heavily restrict where and when I drove because she was "worried about my safety" and kept coming up with increasingly ridiculous excuses until I learned to just ignore her. She did other similar things to impede me learning life skills like cooking, which I basically had to learn on my own.

Our relationship vastly improved after I went off to college and she adopted some greyhounds and could obsess over them instead. My dad likewise mellowed out with old age.

Edit: getting grounded or yelled at whenever I disobeyed them just taught me to be really good at covering my tracks and compartmentalizing information. For example, getting yelled at for having a girl over without 'parental supervision' turned into entire relationships being kept from them because I viewed it as none of their business.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 19, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Interesting you mention that because my mom also mellowed out when she got a dog she could hold onto 24/7 instead of me.

My mom is definitely a control freak due to ptsd from her abusive as gently caress childhood and to her credit I believe she wanted me to have a better childhood than she did and raised me the way she wanted to be raised but I wasn't the same kid. Also there's a poo poo ton I could unpack about my mom seeing me as an extension of herself for a long time and trying to make me her "Mini me" but that could be it's own thread tbh

I will say she fought really hard to keep me away from the family pedos and though I did get sexually abused as a kid she definitely made sure to teach me about physical boundaries and bad touching really early. I did not heed her advice though now that I'm older I wish I had.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i became far less of a focus when my mom got, no poo poo, a gecko

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

totally off topic but: your username is from the jeeves and wooster books, right? she was the prankster that went out with bertie a few times?

You got it!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pick posted:

i became far less of a focus when my mom got, no poo poo, a gecko

I am sorry that you have such stiff competition now.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

daughter gecko, so what

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pets didn't stop my mom. She got a dog and a rabbit and that didn't change her focus on "protecting" me at all.

She did get really mad when I told her I loved my boyfriend when we were fighting about my permanent grounding by yelling at me that she lost her virginity at the hands of her brother at 13. I had no idea how it was relevant. I was 17 at the time. And another time when I said I just wanted to see my boyfriend because I missed him she yelled "Fine, then go gently caress his brains out for all I care." I didn't get to go see him. He was my first boyfriend and we'd only ever kissed at that point.

I don't regret moving out at 17 for one second, it was the best decision I had ever made.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pick posted:

it is sort of amazing to me that everyone forgot it all

Hey I'm surprised as you are 🤷🏻‍♂️

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

my mother just killed my pets once the novelty wore off 🤷🏾‍♂️

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
i was gonna bring more content for the thread but it turns out that it is, in fact, bad to stare into the lovely mom posts for too long. (also i did not post the one i found that was straight-up explicitly “she CLAIMS her stepdad molested her but he would NEVER and it’s not like they were even alone together often enough for it to HAPPEN” but it is there & ofc everyone else was like “omg OP im so sorry, how do they get these CRAZY IDEAS to LIE ABOUT”)

anyway instead im just gonna drop this link about cptsd for those who are fairly new to the knowledge that their parent(s) sucked real bad, it may contain some things u find helpful

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

THOT PATROL posted:

i was gonna bring more content for the thread but it turns out that it is, in fact, bad to stare into the lovely mom posts for too long. (also i did not post the one i found that was straight-up explicitly “she CLAIMS her stepdad molested her but he would NEVER and it’s not like they were even alone together often enough for it to HAPPEN” but it is there & ofc everyone else was like “omg OP im so sorry, how do they get these CRAZY IDEAS to LIE ABOUT”)

As a poster that contributed a bunch of stuff to the r/incels thread I can honestly say this content is actually MORE disturbing than that poo poo if only for the soul reason the incels were explicit in their beliefs. The EP's (get it) hide so much that everything they seem to say is incredibly disconcerting. It's a hard place to go and read from.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I guess that reaction could also just be because this sort of content hits closer to home.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

THOT PATROL posted:

anyway instead im just gonna drop this link about cptsd for those who are fairly new to the knowledge that their parent(s) sucked real bad, it may contain some things u find helpful

this is really good, thanks

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
And because I am sitting here talking and not adding anything:

:psyduck:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

I guess that reaction could also just be because this sort of content hits closer to home.
nah you're right, people like the EPs discrediting victims and excusing abusers in their own families perpetuate this poo poo far more. incels probably type the worst things in the world, but outwardly normal fucks are the ones actually doing it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Incels' only social contact happens when they get around to a mass shooting, people like this usually don't murder people they have huge families they can gently caress up for generations to come. Which is worse, is hard to say.

The acronyms are pretty bad tho

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually it's really easy to say it's worse to be a mass murderer than a lovely parent.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Actually it's really easy to say it's worse to be a mass murderer than a lovely parent.

Personality disorders beget personality disorders. Incels world view tend to spring from deep seated insecurities, which in many cases start in emotionally abusive home. Unfortunately, much like the failparent forum we have been discussing, the internet has provided them a way to congregate and reinforce each other. For a really extreme example, trying watching Mindhunter on Netflix and consider the home life of the first serial killer he talks to. The people who recognized their parents are hosed up and make efforts to chart a different life are survivors. But plenty of people experience that type of abuse (especially when it is exclusively non-physical) and figure that is just how normal people interact, with disastrous results when they try to build a life.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
* Double post due to crappy mouse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

I am sorry that you have such stiff competition now.

Can't compete w/ little spotty

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Personality disorders beget personality disorders. Incels world view tend to spring from deep seated insecurities, which in many cases start in emotionally abusive home. Unfortunately, much like the failparent forum we have been discussing, the internet has provided them a way to congregate and reinforce each other. For a really extreme example, trying watching Mindhunter on Netflix and consider the home life of the first serial killer he talks to. The people who recognized their parents are hosed up and make efforts to chart a different life are survivors. But plenty of people experience that type of abuse (especially when it is exclusively non-physical) and figure that is just how normal people interact, with disastrous results when they try to build a life.

Thank you I hadn't considered that the way people are raised might factor into how they turn out as adults. It's been eye opening. Yet I still find it ludicrously simple to say that it is is much, much worse to be a mass murderer than a bad parent.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Thank you I hadn't considered that the way people are raised might factor into how they turn out as adults. It's been eye opening. Yet I still find it ludicrously simple to say that it is is much, much worse to be a mass murderer than a bad parent.

What if you're the bad parent of a mass murderer?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The individual mass murderer is a worse person but there's a whole fuckin lot more lovely parents than there are mass murderers, is all I'm saying. You're way more likely get your life ruined by the parents than the incels

It's kinda like how everybody is terrified of nuclear plants because of the possibility of a Chernobyl despite coal power killing tons more people annually

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bobbie Wickham posted:

What if you're the bad parent of a mass murderer?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Has anything lead you to believe that Eliot Rodger or Alek Minassian were abused by their parents, leading to their mass murders, or did you just want to chat about your favorite Netflix shows

purple death ray posted:

Incels' only social contact happens when they get around to a mass shooting, people like this usually don't murder people they have huge families they can gently caress up for generations to come. Which is worse, is hard to say.

The acronyms are pretty bad tho

I mean this literally isn't true, none of these guys were on some Count of Monte Cristo revenge tear for their years of forced confinement away from society. They were the products of by all accounts pretty unexceptional middle-class upbringings who isolated themselves, despite the efforts of those around them, because their brains were full of spiders and 4chan groomed them into terrorists. The idea that they're all poor little abused lambs whose parents made them the monsters they are is a lie that serves to valorize their sadism at the expense of implying everyone who's actually had a lovely break in life is some time bomb waiting to go off.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 19, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Has anything lead you to believe that Eliot Rodger or Alek Minassian were abused by their parents, leading to their mass murders, or did you just want to chat about your favorite Netflix shows

I mean this literally isn't true, none of these guys were on some Count of Monte Cristo revenge tear for their years of forced confinement away from society. They were the products of by all accounts pretty unexceptional middle-class upbringings who isolated themselves, despite the efforts of those around them, because their brains were full of spiders and 4chan groomed them into terrorists. The idea that they're all poor little abused lambs whose parents made them the monsters they are is a lie that serves to valorize their sadism at the expense of implying everyone who's actually had a lovely break in life is some time bomb waiting to go off.

I didn't mean to imply that they were poor little abused lambs, I'm really not sure what about my post gave that impression. When I said their only social contact was killing people I was talking about the same self-imposed isolation you mention right here

I wasn't clear when I said "people like this usually don't murder people" I was talking about the abusive parents, not the incels. Sorry, reading it back that was really not clear

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 19, 2019

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I mean this literally isn't true, none of these guys were on some Count of Monte Cristo revenge tear for their years of forced confinement away from society. They were the products of by all accounts pretty unexceptional middle-class upbringings who isolated themselves, despite the efforts of those around them, because their brains were full of spiders and 4chan groomed them into terrorists.

The parents we have been talking about are pretty much unexceptional middle class parents by all accounts and given that one of the more remarkable things about the Eliot Rodger case was the mismatch between the image he had of himself in terms of physical attractiveness and what he actually looked like, it seems like someone or something had been working on undermining his self esteem for much of his life. But you are right, that is 100% armchair diagnosis and it is entirely possible that he had a completely supportive and loving environment growing up and some other mental disease process ended up setting him off. And yes murder is worse than both physical or emotional abuse of a child on the criminal spectrum.

My point was really that in general many of these incels got the spiders in their head from the start from growing up in emotionally abusive homes, and the type of personality disorders that spring from that produce people who can harbor enough anger and lack normal empathy to turn into legitimately dangerous people. That doesn't excuse them or people on the internet egging them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god what is this utilitarianism compare who generates more suffering points argument