Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYSfaNJVic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHvWkbvL9T4

quote:

Described as “a pop album with a couple of verses of Zulu and an English title,” Rhys revealed that ‘Pang!’ developed unexpectedly over 18 months.
Recorded in Cardiff, Wales, the album was produced and mixed by the South African electronic artist Muzi and will be out on Rough Trade Records on September 13.

Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music/gruff-rhys-announces-details-new-solo-album-2526823#KfsTxcdWRRqfMHPk.99

New Gruff Rhys album seems like it's going to be great.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i could have sworn there was a Mountain Goats thread but since there isn't i'll post this here

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1151341402732879873

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DC Murderverse posted:

i could have sworn there was a Mountain Goats thread but since there isn't i'll post this here

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1151341402732879873

:3:

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxqYUbNR-c0

no exaggeration the greatest music video ever

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

turnip kid posted:

Also catchy as hell song. Asian Yacht Rock.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

New S-K single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfPoLEJpgY

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

turnip kid posted:

almost certainly going for Kiyotaka Sugiyama's style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JfVOEs9jcg

the rest of Sakanaction's stuff is indeed excellent and they just released a new album a few weeks ago

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Built to Spill for like the 5th time tonight. They played all of Keep It Like a Secret because this is the 20th anniversary tour for that album, though they played it out of order.

Here's the setlist courtesy of setlist.fm

quote:

You Were Right
Center of the Universe
Time Trap
(Unknown)
Sidewalk
Temporarily Blind
Reasons
Else
Bad Light
The Plan
When Not Being Stupid Is Not Enough
Broken Chairs

Encore:
Planned Obsolescence (The Halo Benders cover)
Harborcoat (R.E.M. cover)
I Would Hurt a Fly
Carry the Zero

I thought they sounded good like they have the last few times I've seen them. I heard some people talking after the show about how they didn't like it that much, but I enjoyed it :shobon: KILAS is my favorite album of theirs, so they played everything I wanted to hear and then some!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

This S-K tour isn't even going to happen the way Carrie seems headed for a breakdown.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

^burtle posted:

This S-K tour isn't even going to happen the way Carrie seems headed for a breakdown.

What kind of a thing is that to say

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Rageaholic posted:

I thought they sounded good like they have the last few times I've seen them. I heard some people talking after the show about how they didn't like it that much, but I enjoyed it :shobon: KILAS is my favorite album of theirs, so they played everything I wanted to hear and then some!

Did they keep it tight or did they do any deviation and start jamming. Because I didn't expect that when I saw them years ago when they were promoting Ancient Melodies. The show probably went on for another 30 minutes but I left early due to it just being an encore jam session. They played all kinds of old tracks in their main set so I was more than satisfied.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kramdar posted:

Did they keep it tight or did they do any deviation and start jamming. Because I didn't expect that when I saw them years ago when they were promoting Ancient Melodies. The show probably went on for another 30 minutes but I left early due to it just being an encore jam session. They played all kinds of old tracks in their main set so I was more than satisfied.
They jammed on some songs like Broken Chairs, but when I saw them for the first time a decade ago, they jammed on Broken Chairs for way longer, so I'd say they kept it fairly tight. I enjoy the jamming but I can understand how others wouldn't.

The first time I saw them, they probably played a 15 minute long version of Broken Chairs. It's an almost 9 minute track on the album, so admittedly it wasn't that much longer. That's one of my favorite songs of theirs, so I appreciated the jam.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Rageaholic posted:

Saw Built to Spill for like the 5th time tonight. They played all of Keep It Like a Secret because this is the 20th anniversary tour for that album, though they played it out of order.

Here's the setlist courtesy of setlist.fm

I am excited to see them in September. This is my second time, first in well over a decade, and all I remember from that show is the thick haze of weed smoke.

I'd also be super excited to see them jam.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm a huge Sleater-Kinney fan but I am...not a fan of this. It picks up towards the end but there's a lot that feels like it's missing. Lyrically it's kind of boring, and the first half of the song is, uhh, not good.

I liked Hurry on Home and while The Future is Here wasn't great I still found it enjoyable. This...this ain't it, chief.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I guess this is the place to post The Struts? Did a quick forums search and couldn't find any mention of them, but idk if that thing's even working. Been following them for a while, was suddenly reminded of them today cause it turns out they're doing the netflix Saint Seiya opening song. Anyway, here's a song they actually wrote themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BLo1sSMyA
I'm not much of a music buff, but I think you could describe them as The Darkness, but with a bit less of a wink to the camera.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm a huge Sleater-Kinney fan but I am...not a fan of this. It picks up towards the end but there's a lot that feels like it's missing. Lyrically it's kind of boring, and the first half of the song is, uhh, not good.

I liked Hurry on Home and while The Future is Here wasn't great I still found it enjoyable. This...this ain't it, chief.

yup same

getting some buyers remorse on the ticket i got for the tour

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
at least corin is singing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat sleater Kinney sucks now

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
but guess what, the center won't hold guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

u like mac demarco

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I actually don't mind the song, and I have been listening to "Hurry on Home" on repeat the past few weeks.

Different than S-K's other work, but I still enjoy it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I actually don't mind the song, and I have been listening to "Hurry on Home" on repeat the past few weeks.

Different than S-K's other work, but I still enjoy it.

ya i think it's ok. Hurry On Home is very good imo

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Thom and the Heads posted:

u like mac demarco

yeah, he's a lot better than wailing annoying old lady math rock

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

T Bowl posted:

yeah, he's a lot better than wailing annoying old lady math rock

:wrong:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Mac is cool, I like his song about smoking cigs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thinking about the time I saw Sleater-Kinney, Ted Leo and the Unicorns for free at Hamilton College in 2004 and smiling to myself

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thinking about the time I saw Sleater-Kinney, Ted Leo and the Unicorns for free at Hamilton College in 2004 and smiling to myself

Let's post weird college shows —

The Ying Yang Twins in 2008.

The opener was Thao Nguyen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Minus the Bear and Ben Folds at a college like 7 or 8 years ago and it was great, though way more people came for Ben Folds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ben Folds is incredible live

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah he's great, I've been lucky enough to see him three times in different contexts, solo with piano, with an orchestra and with a band. Every time it was a blast.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

DasNeonLicht posted:

The Ying Yang Twins in 2008.

The opener was Thao Nguyen.

That’s incredible.

I think my weirdest college concert experience was Wolf Eyes and this Iowa City based noise band named Raccoo-oo-oon. The most experimental band I’d previously listened to was Radiohead. I was not very impressed at the time, but eventually came to appreciate both in some capacity.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Went to a house noise show once in my hometown (which is also a college town) where one of the artists was two dudes in the basement walking in a circle dragging shovels with contact mics behind them for about 20 minutes

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
We had some female singer songwriter who would disappear into the late 90s musical void play at our college. When we were told that the student council picked her over Sebadoh, oh boy!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw Gifts from Enola open for Andrew WK at a bar at my college.

If you aren't familiar, GFE were a post rock band like Explosions in the Sky. It ruled

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

Titus Andronicus in 2010 for like 30 people in a 700-capacity room.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Anonymous John posted:

Titus Andronicus in 2010 for like 30 people in a 700-capacity room.

I saw Titus Andronicus in 2010 perform for 30 people in a 15 capacity room.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ben Folds is incredible live

Yeah even though I'm not crazy about his last few albums I will go pretty far out of my way to see him do a show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn't go but Angel Olsen played my little college when she was just starting out solo.

Vince Staples played our annual spring concert the year after I graduated and I was on campus that day but didn't know anything about him so I didn't stick around for him. Summertime 06 dropped like a month later

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

https://pitchfork.com/news/sturgill-simpson-announces-new-album-shares-trailer-for-new-anime-film-watch/

Sturgill Simpson of all people made an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I saw My Chemical Romance randomly before they blew up when they only had one album and it was probably 20 people.