Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

And yet ironically, any shows remotely attempting to do what Avatar did were made by the same many of the same people who created it. It's kind of fascinating in a way.

Steven Universe doesn't have any ATLA alum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

asecondduck posted:

Are you sure about that? Did you crossreference the whole teams involved? I bet some lowly animator, or sound effects guy, or marketing trainee worked on both shows.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

asecondduck posted:

Is Steven Universe comparable to ATLA?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

Is Steven Universe comparable to ATLA?

It has longform plotting, the main character is a child dealing with adult themes and subject matter, and it's heavily influenced by anime but doing its own spin on it.

Oh and it also has a fan base that can be very insufferable.

It's not exactly the same as ATLA, but it hits a lot of the same notes for me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

It'll be about Steven's son, Beven Universe.

No thats after five seasons of Steven Universe Bitsuden

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

I've been seeing a flurry of Avatar: TLA videos on youtube that have been popping up in the last few weeks. Did something happen in the news? Possibly due to the remake coming out? Season 3 of Dragon Prince?

All of that and new comics coming off the vine between Faith Erin Hicks' Imbalance trilogy, the Korra trilogy Ruins of the Empire and that new Kyoshi sub-series coming out. ATLA is having a small period in the sun again, and I'm looking forward to it again.

asecondduck posted:

At first it was as godawful as any other fanbase; but after starvation for some new material, that poo poo died down. Nowadays, most of the time it's complaints about the frequent delays of the comics and an occasional dipshit or two wondering why Aang didn't kill Ozai or some other plot element the shows itself explains.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
3Below's second and final season was pretty good. Very fast-paced but the budget savings really show - very few crowd scenes and almost entirely reused locations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

asecondduck posted:

I dont think there's a single cartoon where this isn't the case

maybe tuca and bertie because the amount of people who have watched it can be counted on one hand (even though its very good) and it's also targeted primarily at adult women

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Tactless Ogre posted:

All of that and new comics coming off the vine between Faith Erin Hicks' Imbalance trilogy, the Korra trilogy Ruins of the Empire and that new Kyoshi sub-series coming out. ATLA is having a small period in the sun again, and I'm looking forward to it again.

I'm excited for the book! Coming out this Tuesday.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just finished the first volume of Amphibia. It's a pretty good show. I can definitely see it as an attempt to fill the niche left by Gravity Falls.

It sorta bugs me though how Anne always seems to learn the lesson of the episode before the point in the plot where the character traditionally learns the lesson. It really throws me off then the episode's apparent theme is "don't let fame go to your head" and she's already showing signs of knowing that family is more important than fame midway through ACT II instead of discovering it the hard way in ACT III. She never reaches a point of crisis and always passes the first test of character when it's presented to her.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

DoctorWhat posted:

3Below's second and final season was pretty good. Very fast-paced but the budget savings really show - very few crowd scenes and almost entirely reused locations.
Ah man, I was hoping it'd get 3 seasons like Trollhunters (although TH got a double-lengthed first season)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Rocko’s Modern Life movie is coming to Netflix. No idea if a release date has been posted though:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81091977

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

The Rocko’s Modern Life movie is coming to Netflix. No idea if a release date has been posted though:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81091977

Interestingly it’s listed as an LGBQT movie.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Personally I’m more interested in Enter the Florpus but that doesn’t even have basic information listed on its Netflix page yet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ah man, I was hoping it'd get 3 seasons like Trollhunters (although TH got a double-lengthed first season)

Honestly, Trollhunters ran a little long IMO.

Also, 3below had a lesbian kiss in it!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

DoctorWhat posted:

Honestly, Trollhunters ran a little long IMO.

Also, 3below had a lesbian kiss in it!
Well I mean Trollhunters basically had 4 seasons of episodes. I just wish with 3 Below got the full 3.

And I'm more surprised about the casual racism when Krel's in disguise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we now have a release date for the Rocko movie:

https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/1149853145503129600

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Well I mean Trollhunters basically had 4 seasons of episodes. I just wish with 3 Below got the full 3.

And I'm more surprised about the casual racism when Krel's in disguise.

Oh yeah, the show pulls no punches when it comes to Literal Actual Human Racism while doing its alien refugee stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

And we now have a release date for the Rocko movie:

https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/1149853145503129600

Finally. God, its been 2 or 3 years since announcement, right?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is it coming to UK netflix at the same time?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

asecondduck posted:

It has longform plotting, the main character is a child dealing with adult themes and subject matter, and it's heavily influenced by anime but doing its own spin on it.

It's not exactly the same as ATLA, but it hits a lot of the same notes for me.

Ah okay. I know people always talk about SU, but I never got a chance to see it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

Ah okay. I know people always talk about SU, but I never got a chance to see it.

I binged it in less than a week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it coming to UK netflix at the same time?

I don’t see why not, it’s listed on there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/carlosalazraqui/status/1151114459626164224

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
to be honest that newscaster lady is kinda hot

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Just finished the first volume of Amphibia. It's a pretty good show. I can definitely see it as an attempt to fill the niche left by Gravity Falls.

It sorta bugs me though how Anne always seems to learn the lesson of the episode before the point in the plot where the character traditionally learns the lesson. It really throws me off then the episode's apparent theme is "don't let fame go to your head" and she's already showing signs of knowing that family is more important than fame midway through ACT II instead of discovering it the hard way in ACT III. She never reaches a point of crisis and always passes the first test of character when it's presented to her.

I dunno, there's something a little nice about making the characters have doubts when they're starting to be an rear end in a top hat instead of going all-out horrible only to regret it at the last moment. It robs the ending of the episode of some of its conclusiveness by letting the regret start a little earlier, but it also means that they can drop a more abrupt ending instead of making sure the moral lands, which can be fun in its own way.

:frogbon: "Yeah, I guess we're even."
:mad: "Hop-Pop, we broke a model ship. You crossed all kinds of ethical and moral lines!"
:frogbon: "Like I said, even!"

Also the season's almost over, so it'll be interesting how this all shakes out.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I binged it in less than a week.

are you criticizing me

wow, i'm legit impressed they managed to replicate rocko's animation style in this day and age :monocle:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The thing I like about Amphibia's formula is that it provides time for the protagonist to put the lesson into practice. That way it's not just "do the wrong thing and you'll get into trouble," it's also "do the right thing and things will go better."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
so apparently Sonic the Hedgehog is appearing in OK KO, which is not a thing I was expecting

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

are you criticizing me

No? The show is good and addictive.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Acebuckeye13 posted:

so apparently Sonic the Hedgehog is appearing in OK KO, which is not a thing I was expecting

The question is... is it sonic for the genesis Sonic or sonic adventure Sonic?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hihohe posted:

The question is... is it sonic for the genesis Sonic or sonic adventure Sonic?
I'm hoping it's the chubby genesis Sonic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

No, wait, it's modern Sonic, but he became a fitness instructor after losing the weight from the genesis era by jogging for four games.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
See for yourself:

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1152287749409390592?s=19

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm the "Totally Not Live and Learn" song.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The design makes me think of Sonic X.

Here's hoping it's not a dream and Sonic's totally canon in OK KO now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is absolutely incredible. Talk about the right people to hand this cameo to. Referencing the Genesis title screen and Jake Kaufman being able to geek out on the soundtrack (which will be so cool in the full episode)... amazing.

EDIT: I just realized Jake incorporated the "In the Hall of the Mountain King" part from the "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" opening in the Genesis soundfont. Are you kidding meeeeee?!

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 19, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm kind of expecting a Sonic Underground reference, because it was such an incredibly 90s spinoff of an already incredibly 90s character.

Of course, referencing the goofiest of the sonic cartoons with the end music is also definitely OK KO's style. Man, there have been 5 very different Sonic cartoons.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/itsnicktendo/status/1152291940106473475
not surprising considering how there's a lotta Archie Sonic fans in the staff and one of the model sheet designers (he's even mentioned he got to do the model sheets for Sonic and Tails) was a former Archie Sonic artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Owl House's intro has been released

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1152299626898317312