Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

I've been using Tire Rack's website (and will be buying from them most likely) and I'm tempted to go with another set of Sumitomos because I like them enough, but yeah they only lasted about 20k miles. Those Vredesteins look like they'd last even less.

There are well rated tires on there with wear ratings of 700 and up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Oh Jesus, you池e looking for 20痴? Sorry, that痴 well out of the realm of what I know.

CornHolio posted:

So Goodyears are garbage, is there anything other than the Michelins in a 245/45R20 all season that are a little, uh, cheaper?

I'm assuming I'm only going to get 20k out of these tires, and I'm not so much of an enthusiast that I'll notice a difference between a really good tire and a good tire.

What are they going on? That痴 a way bigger size than I was expecting.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

What are they going on? That痴 a way bigger size than I was expecting.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

CornHolio posted:

I've been using Tire Rack's website (and will be buying from them most likely) and I'm tempted to go with another set of Sumitomos because I like them enough, but yeah they only lasted about 20k miles. Those Vredesteins look like they'd last even less.

20 with an XL and a Y speed rating puts you in the 200+ a tire club if you want them to last. The Sumi (You got the PO2)? is decent (they made Falkens donchya know, also just a wild huge holdings company) but you gotta be on them rotations with them as they are on the softer side but all that said, your car needs an XL load rating and a Y speed rating tire which the PO2 is not. You should be in Michelin Pilot Sports, Conti Extreeme Contact DWS06's Perelli Scorpion PZeros-AS or Bridgestone Potenzas if you want them to last. General Gmax AS - 05 is your best value tire and a great alternative to the Conti.

Welcome to having a fast heavy car. But at least you dont have 19's

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What are the best bang-for-buck all-seasons these days? I hopefully won稚 have this car by the time big snow comes around in January or so, so I知 not interested in getting two sets?

P215/60/R16, it痴 a Camry hybrid. Also I can稚 wait for Tire Rack so I have to be able to get them locally.

How bad is it to get a pair up front on a FWD car if the back ones are still above minimum tread depth? I need to measure, but the rear tires are nowhere near as bad. Yes, I値l admit to being a terrible car owner that always forgets to do rotations when I do the oil.

I know it痴 not optimal, but I need all the money I can get right now because I have to move ASAP, already spent a bunch of money on a storage unit and a parking spot for my second car, staying with a friend after multiple places fell through last minute.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are the best bang-for-buck all-seasons these days? I hopefully won稚 have this car by the time big snow comes around in January or so, so I知 not interested in getting two sets?

P215/60/R16, it痴 a Camry hybrid. Also I can稚 wait for Tire Rack so I have to be able to get them locally.

How bad is it to get a pair up front on a FWD car if the back ones are still above minimum tread depth? I need to measure, but the rear tires are nowhere near as bad. Yes, I値l admit to being a terrible car owner that always forgets to do rotations when I do the oil.

I know it痴 not optimal, but I need all the money I can get right now because I have to move ASAP, already spent a bunch of money on a storage unit and a parking spot for my second car, staying with a friend after multiple places fell through last minute.

general altimax rt 43s, cooper touring cs5s, Sumitomo htr po2 ,kumho ecsta, hankook optimo. Most shops should be able to source those.
Personally im a fan of the Generals.
The new school of thought is that its safest that the best tires go on the rear so you dont oversteer in slick conditions. You move the rears to the front and put the new set on the rear. When you burn up whats left of the fronts, get a new set moving the (newer) rears forward.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 4, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

20 with an XL and a Y speed rating puts you in the 200+ a tire club if you want them to last. The Sumi (You got the PO2)? is decent (they made Falkens donchya know, also just a wild huge holdings company) but you gotta be on them rotations with them as they are on the softer side but all that said, your car needs an XL load rating and a Y speed rating tire which the PO2 is not. You should be in Michelin Pilot Sports, Conti Extreeme Contact DWS06's Perelli Scorpion PZeros-AS or Bridgestone Potenzas if you want them to last. General Gmax AS - 05 is your best value tire and a great alternative to the Conti.

Welcome to having a fast heavy car. But at least you dont have 19's

Yeah, I had accepted the fact that I will need new tires every 20k miles, until a friend couldn't believe it and told me to look at the treadlife warranty on the tires. Still trying to see what that's about.

I think the Continentals were what came on the car. I might switch back to those actually, they seem pretty good.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

general altimax rt 43s, cooper touring cs5s, Sumitomo htr po2 ,kumho ecsta, hankook optimo. Most shops should be able to source those.
The new school of thought is that its safest that the best tires go on the rear so you dont oversteer in slick conditions. You move the rears to the front and put the new set on the rear. When you burn up whats left of the fronts, get a new set moving the (newer) rears forward.

throwing out a recommendation for General RT43s.

I personally cannot stand that school of thought of "shittier tires go on the front!" but there's probably studies proving that I'm wrong so whatever. gently caress understeer in all its forms.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Same. Which end is doing most of the turning and stopping?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Michelin figured out that if your an idiot and hit your brakes at speed in wet conditions with better tires on the front and bald tires in the rear your gonna have a spin.
I wonder tho if tire shops push this to lessen liability.

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, I had accepted the fact that I will need new tires every 20k miles, until a friend couldn't believe it and told me to look at the treadlife warranty on the tires. Still trying to see what that's about.

I think the Continentals were what came on the car. I might switch back to those actually, they seem pretty good.

Just rotate your tires every 5 thousand miles and keep all your records. When submitting a tread life warranty claim thats what most places will ask for. At least then you will get them prorated.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

Michelin figured out that if your an idiot and hit your brakes at speed in wet conditions with better tires on the front and bald tires in the rear your gonna have a spin.

Ah, so if you are a lowest-common-denominator motherfucker and drive like a complete moron while also not taking care of your car, than the recommendation holds up.

For everyone else that is not dumber than a poo poo-covered brick, put your good tires on the front wheels.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 4, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Ah, so if you are a lowest-common-denominator motherfucker and drive like a complete moron while also not taking care of your car, then the recommendation holds up.

For everyone else that is not dumber than a poo poo-covered brick, put your good tires on the front wheels.

Pretty much. Just watch their cringe worthy demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9hzcjdi5Q

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 4, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Goodyears aren't garbage. Like the EfficientGrip Performance model has consistently finished in the top 5 range in Swedish tests (which are pretty well conducted) the last few years. One thing that truly is garbage though is relying on the EU decibel ratings for outside noise when it comes to choosing tires. That and online reviews.

That being said, I'll probably go for Michelin's the next round to try something else.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Thanks, I値l see if Wal-Mart has any of those. Looks like they池e my only option other than taking it in first thing tomorrow, working from home in the morning, and picking them up and driving to work at lunch. Don稚 want to do 22 miles at around 55 on a donut of unknown providence and don稚 want to try doing it on a tire with belt showing either. Bolt pattern is different on the Camry than the Subaru so 澱orrowing a pair of wheels off that in the interim isn稚 an option either.

When it rains, it pours, am I right? Just glad my work is flexible with WFH when someone has car trouble.

Since availability/price is an urgent concern, would 225/55R16s work in place of 215s if all they have for 215/60s is poo poo/super expensive, or is that asking for trouble? I know some cars have different sizes front and back but I don稚 know if that痴 a purely track thing. I put 205/55R16s on a Subaru in place of 205/60R15s (new wheels obviously) a long time ago, but that was all matching, and that was because the 15 inches were so expensive I could get OG 16 DWSes and all four wheels for the cost of mediocre tires for the 15 wheels. Speedometer was finally accurate too, encouraging my working theory that speedometers are frequently calibrated for the largest wheels/tires available on any trim of the vehicle.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 4, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Double-posting due to time being a factor, can I trust Wal-Mart to accurately balance a tire or should I have them just install the new tires and then take it to Big O or Discount Tire or something for balancing tomorrow? I'd be driving it 25 miles or so before then. Not sure if a place will even solely balance a tire without replacing it, I would hope they would if I said "I had wal-mart install them but I don't trust them."

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They'll balance them, same difference if you happen to knock a wheel weight off somehow. Why not save a trip and just get them to do mount & balance?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ended up not taking it there after all, didn't get there in time. Going to take it to Big O in the morning. I had just heard about wal-marts loving up balancing horribly in the past, this one had a few reviews to the same effect so I decided against them for that reason as well. Rather not pay $10 a corner or whatever they charge and then have to get it done again.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

You guys got used tires?
Ok whats your cheapest new tire?
Is it good in snow?

:suicide:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Is Nexen a decent low-cost manufacturer, or am I making the mistake of buying Chinese garbage tires again? I need 15's for my shitbox truck, and these are the only 15" tires I can find inside my budget: https://www.walmart.com/ip/235-75R15-XL-109S-WW-NEXEN-NPRIZ-AH5/135588742

e. for clarification, only now does Walmart show me cheaper tires, but I'm two into a complete set on the Nexen tires and would like a matching set.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 18, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do we do recommendations here?
I've got a 2019 Leaf e+ SL with OEM tires on it. I'm sure they're very efficient, but I'd like something better in the winter. Is the best plan to buy some winter tires + steel wheels and swap them onto the front during the season, or should I get softer all season (all weather?) tires to run all year? Sounds like we're talking about a 5 percent efficiency loss doing something like that all year?
I live in western Washington, so it's not generally too snowy, but black ice and soaked asphalt is very common. Also the tires on this thing definitely show off the limitations of front wheel drive on launch.

2019 NISSAN LEAF SL Tire Size: P215/50R17
https://weatherspark.com/y/842/Average-Weather-in-Everett-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

I've got a 2019 Leaf e+ SL with OEM tires on it. I'm sure they're very efficient, but I'd like something better in the winter. Is the best plan to buy some winter tires + steel wheels and swap them onto the front during the season, or should I get softer all season (all weather?) tires to run all year? Sounds like we're talking about a 5 percent efficiency loss doing something like that all year?
I live in western Washington, so it's not generally too snowy, but black ice and soaked asphalt is very common. Also the tires on this thing definitely show off the limitations of front wheel drive on launch.

https://weatherspark.com/y/842/Average-Weather-in-Everett-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

Seems like you have some math to do. If your set on getting winters, getting separate rims is the way to go long term as it saves you the tire swap twice a year. Also most tire shops wont gently caress with winters unless your getting all 4. The best A/S that focuses on fuel efficiency I could recommend are Conti Pure Contacts with the eco plus tech. But like with everything you gain some and loose some. They dont do well in heavy snow. I did run them on my rwd beemer in wisconsin and snow storms were sketchy but tolerable just had to take it easy. But of course this was on flat ground. No tires are gonna be great on ice besides studded snows not sure if they are legal where you are.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 19, 2019

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm a big fan of Pilot Sport A/S3+ for performance all seasons, but does anyone have a cheaper alternative they like just as much?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LRADIKAL posted:

do not buy winter tires unless you buy all four

winter tires will reduce your range - kind of up to you. i think either OEM summer + winter tires is fine, or a well rated cold weather all season is probably fine. kind of depends on what type of driving you are doing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

I'm a big fan of Pilot Sport A/S3+ for performance all seasons, but does anyone have a cheaper alternative they like just as much?

I致e got one car with the as3痴 and another with the hankook competitive tire, which is rated as be best budget performance all-season. The direct answer to your question is 殿bsolutely not. You壇 need to move to a dedicated summer tire to spend less with the same dry performance.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Just a little rant and a warning for anyone who has a trailer.

I towed my camper about 700 miles on Saturday. It was hot. Truck read 102 degrees at times, and I averaged about 70mph. I don稚 think I went over 75mph, which is the speed rating on most ST trailer tires. Today I was coming back from an outing and on my way into the camper I noticed a baseball size bulge on one of the sidewalls. Thats a sign of imminent failure. On closer examination 3 out of 4 tires had signs of failure. 2 had excessive crown and 1 had the bulge. All were 5psi under the max pressure when checked. Tires are 5 year old 菟ower king towmax str tires that came on the trailer from the factory.

Trailer tires suck. I cannot find anything in stock other than 田hina bombs. If you have a trailer, its loaded heavy, its hot, and your exceeding or close to the speed rating the tires are going to fail, and soon. Inspect them close every time you stop. The tires are universally garbage, even goodyear marathons will blow out.

Hopefully the set of hi-run china bombs I put on make it home.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
We bit the bullet and put E-rated truck tires on our big boat trailers. Transforce HTs, iirc. We ran the same tires on the truck, sadly with a different bolt pattern. Lots of commercial boat haulers run identical truck and trailer wheels and tires for ease of sparing.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

sharkytm posted:

We bit the bullet and put E-rated truck tires on our big boat trailers. Transforce HTs, iirc. We ran the same tires on the truck, sadly with a different bolt pattern. Lots of commercial boat haulers run identical truck and trailer wheels and tires for ease of sparing.

I would need new rims. Nothing decent in 225/75/15 other than the goodyears.

What I really want is a 5th wheel so that upgrade will cost a lot.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Back when I owned my G37S, I took a chance on some Hankook Ventus V12 evos and I thought they were pretty good bang for buck on a sporty daily driver. Are they still pretty good for what you pay for, or should I be looking elsewhere for a budget summer tire?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

kimcicle posted:

Back when I owned my G37S, I took a chance on some Hankook Ventus V12 evos and I thought they were pretty good bang for buck on a sporty daily driver. Are they still pretty good for what you pay for, or should I be looking elsewhere for a budget summer tire?

Yea they are still affordable

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
For mileage warranties, it very much depends on the shop and the techs. I've warrantied sets out with no issue as long as I can prove you bought them from us, and they look reasonably evenly worn. Michelin Premiers have been hot garbage for mileage warranties, I've taken more sets than I can count off at 30-40k that are worn past the wear bars. Everything from GMC Acadias, Toyota Siennas, all the way down to Honda Fits.

If you come back 30k after buying tires, and one pair is bald and the other has ~70% of the tread left, then I'm going to decline your mileage warranty claim. That's why we offer free R&B with every set. If you can't at least make the effort sometime in 2-3 years to get them rotated, then I guess you're buying two tires at full price.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Replaced my factory GT500 Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1 G2 or whatever the hell they are with Continental Extreme Contact sports (265/40R19 front and 285/35R20 rear) and they seem like significantly superior tires. Some of it is just because the Goodyears were 8 and 9 years old (one side was a year older than the other for some reason) but the new ones seem like they're hooking better than the old ones ever did, and also seem to track pavement grooves way less.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for cheaper winter tires with the priorities being better than all-seasons on snow but mostly driving on cold dry pavement? They池e going on a 99 Impreza so it痴 either 15 or 16 wheels, 205-215 width, 50-55 or 60-65 aspect ratio depending on 15 or 16 rims.

I also need some either summer tires or summer-focused all-seasons, which I値l probably be driving on until December because our winters have been getting started extremely late the past 5 years or so. I壇 like them to be able to handle dirt/gravel decently but apparently that痴 not something that痴 marketed specifically.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
all tires are fine on dirt and gravel at the speeds you ought to be driving on dirt and gravel

you should be running 195-60-15s which is the stock size on the 99 impreza non WRX edition

For winter, General Altimax Arctics are good, and pretty inexpensive. But you'll pretty well be fine in your situation with anything that is cheap and from a name brand. Don't buy a hardo winter tire like the Hakkapeliitta.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually the OBS came with 205/60R15s, but since those were hard to find I got a set of LGT wheels off of a goon for $100 back in 12, and I ran 205/55R16, which is the stock size for the 2.5RS. And actually made the speedometer more accurate, I suspect they just tuned them all for that size and put them on the ones with smaller tires too.

I壇 be getting new (used) rims for the winter tires most likely, so that痴 why I said 15 or 16 there, I don稚 have a strong preference, but some stuff is made for 16 and not for 15.

E: Tire Rack has the General Altimaxes for $250 after rebate for a set of four, and I could cut another $40 off that if I drove to Denver to pick them up from the distribution center. That sounds hard to beat.

E: for summers, I知 kind of stuck between the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2, General G-Max RS, and BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2s. All the same price within $20-40 for the whole set of 4, all probably have more traction than my 2600lb 2.2l car will require. Any feedback on those?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 23, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Another vote for the Arctic Altimax. It's a drat good tire for the money, and iirc, it's fully winter compound, unlike many other brands where you get 50% winter compound, then 50% all season compound.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I値l go with those for winter. What about the Hankook V12 vs General G-Max RS vs BFG Sport Comp-2s for summer? I知 wondering if maybe they池e overkill for an economy hatchback that will probably get a turbo somewhere around the heat death of the universe, but I can get any of them for roughly $80-90/corner after rebates but before installation. Which seems pretty good, although maybe summers are just cheaper than all-seasons in general. And being able to stop faster and turn safely at a higher speed is still a good thing for emergencies.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

Another vote for the Arctic Altimax. It's a drat good tire for the money, and iirc, it's fully winter compound, unlike many other brands where you get 50% winter compound, then 50% all season compound.

Altimax Arctics are fantastic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know how the prices compare but I passed everybody with my Blizzak WS80s on my FWD Mazda. I hear the Michelin X-ICE 3s are really good too. Since you're already putting them on a Subaru you basically can't go wrong with anything halfway decent.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the PS4S is gods own tire

Currently on my second set of Pilot Sport 4S and it's a fantastic tire. A++ would recommend. Running just that because I'm in inland California and we don't get winters. No complaints about noise, wet handling, anything. Just all around a solid tire.

Fabulousity posted:

A few words on tires:

Tread wear warranties are riddled with clauses and tbh for pretty good reason: The tire companies can't make you align your suspension, stop you from driving on lovely roads, prevent you from driving like a maniac, make you repair damaged suspension components, and they sure as poo poo
didn't put that screw in the path of your daily commute. In that sense the tread life warranties they offer act more like vague suggestions for how long the tire should last under nearly perfect conditions across a general homogeneous collection of vehicles. As a result getting a warranty adjustment on tread life is pretty difficult and buying based on tread life is kinda silly. That said if you scream loud enough you can probably get a prorated adjustment just to get you out of the shop because you're an rear end in a top hat and you're pissing everyone off.

My 30,000 mile treadwear warranty tires wore out at 16k and America's Tire happily prorated me no questions asked. But the general non shittiness is why I'm local to America's Tire

RIP Paul Walker posted:

gently caress Goodyear, every experience I致e had with their tires has sucked. If you throw out your need for reasonable prices, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the best all-season tire ever.

Can confirm, my OEM Eagle F1s sucked poo poo

In other Tire Talk, I'm currently considering getting a second set of wheels and Bridgestone RE-71Rs to help alleviate me burning up $200 Michelin's every 16k miles doing AutoX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RE71R will last nowhere near that and cost much more, but you already know that. What kind of car is it?