Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sunswipe posted:

"This play has survived hundreds of years and is regarded as a classic of English literature, but we should totally update it to the modern day and give everyone submachineguns*" ~ an idiot.

*that was an adaptation of Macbeth starring Jack Davenport. I felt the dialogue during the final duel between Macbeth and Macduff suffered somewhat from having to be shouted over two men firing Uzis at each other.

Romeo + Juliet is great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baz Luhrmann is fuckin terrible

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Baz Luhrmann is fuckin terrible

Oh, definitely. But one time he somehow managed to make an actually good movie instead of the unwatchable garbage he usually churns out.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

"This play has survived hundreds of years and is regarded as a classic of English literature, but we should totally update it to the modern day and give everyone submachineguns*" ~ an idiot.

*that was an adaptation of Macbeth starring Jack Davenport. I felt the dialogue during the final duel between Macbeth and Macduff suffered somewhat from having to be shouted over two men firing Uzis at each other.

Yeah if the play is really universal, it should work regardless of what the actors wear. You shouldn't have to try to go all "get it??? Caesar is just like trump" like in the west end production that's going on now, aside from the point that that's a really stupid message. It's banal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I've only seen the first 45 minutes of this - that was our english teacher's "a substitute is coming in" or "i'm hung over" go-to movie to put on - until someone's parents called and said it was too risque. Then it switched to Mrs Doubtfire. I'd rather see half of romeo + juliet because the first 45 minutes of mrs doubtfire (also the rest of it, but mostly the beginning) is considerably more dull.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Richard II is a lazily plotted piece of poo poo that just exists to crap on about the divine right of kings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Give weird Shakespeare adaptations a break. They've been doing the drat plays for 1000 years now, nobody wants to admit that, while they're good, they aren't that good, so of course people are gonna try new stuff

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The worst part about shakespeare is when people smugly call him "the bard". It's off-putting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The worst part about shakespeare is when people smugly call him "the bard". It's off-putting.

These people have a 75% chance to love Doctor Who and be a regular community theatre extra

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Philomena Cunk had a pretty good take on modern Shakespeare adaptations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeCpHoy9EQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Amazon Marketplace sucks and should be done away with

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Amazon... sucks and should be done away with

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean we could just hold a proverbial gun to Amazon's head and tell them not to be such fuckers

We could do that

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Nationalize all things and people and annex all territory.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

Nationalize all things and people and annex all territory.

But then how will I be able to blame everything on capitalism?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Social media is bad

People may laugh at me saying this, but SA is probably the closest thing to good social media. Don’t get me wrong, it can be a mess and lean towards being in too much of a bubble and is frequently full of stupid arguments. At least it’s moderated and full of skeptics that will call people out on their bullshit.

Everyone else hosed up by conflating free speech with with letting any idiot say whatever they want without consequence on their platform, and now the world is basically hosed because of this and it’s too late to fix anything.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Of course SA is bad, but it's the best there is. Which means, since everything is relative, it's pretty okay.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

But then how will I be able to blame everything on capitalism?

There won't be anything left to complain about because every problem will be solved, hth

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

People may laugh at me saying this, but SA is probably the closest thing to good social media. Don’t get me wrong, it can be a mess and lean towards being in too much of a bubble and is frequently full of stupid arguments. At least it’s moderated and full of skeptics that will call people out on their bullshit.

Everyone else hosed up by conflating free speech with with letting any idiot say whatever they want without consequence on their platform, and now the world is basically hosed because of this and it’s too late to fix anything.

At least there is truth in advertising here.

The internet makes you stupid.

Checks out

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MizPiz posted:

There won't be anything left to complain about because every problem will be solved, hth

:doh: That's right. Ugh, I'm an idiot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Philomena Cunk had a pretty good take on modern Shakespeare adaptations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeCpHoy9EQ

Was this supposed to link to a specific bit or did you want us to watch the full half hour?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't think there's anything wrong with weird Shakespeare adaptations as a concept. Obviously some of them are going to miss (the trump as caesar one) or others will be questionable (the production of romeo and juliet I saw at the globe fairly recently which was sorta modernised with romeo as an emo kid and the ball being a fancy dress party with a dance number) but at least the latter was well produced and performed and was entertaining so who cares?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Romeo was emo isn’t that less modern and more a 2008 period piece?

E: whoever invented daylight savings time is a monster. I am so sick of having 3 hours of darkness when I get up and getting in bed when it’s still bright out.

E2: summer-likers are my enemies.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Jul 20, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MizPiz posted:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Was this supposed to link to a specific bit or did you want us to watch the full half hour?

Watch the full thing, Philomena Cunk is fantastic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum posted:

You're supposed to watch it all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Stop complaining about the AC at work. We are allowed to wear sweaters, we are not allowed to go shirtless.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Stop complaining about the AC at work. We are allowed to wear sweaters, we are not allowed to go shirtless.

Keeping the temperature up during the summer is better for the environment and your health. If you're keeping it so cold that people have to put on a sweater, you're doing it wrong.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Also chicks get colder way easier so you got to meet them halfway.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best Shakespeare adaption is 10 things i hate about you

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best Shakespeare adaption is 10 things i hate about you

Westside Story. Street gangs that dance and sing are the best street gangs. Wish the damned Latin Kings would put on their annual "Rhythm in the Park" show, but ever since the Vice Lords ran them off Kedzie it just hasn't been the same....

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Also chicks get colder way easier so you got to meet them halfway.

The best solution, far as I can tell, is to hook up a fake thermostat that doesn't actually do anything.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best solution, far as I can tell, is to hook up a fake thermostat that doesn't actually do anything.

Which is what everyone does already :shrug:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Even more: turn down the heater in winter. 22 degrees celsius is not a comfortable indoor temperature, are you mad? Put it on 20 at most and let the weaklings bundle the gently caress up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Public transportation should never be heated except maybe give the driver a space heater or something. The worst part about using it was going from being comfortable in the winter because I was wearing appropriate clothing to stepping on to the tram and feeling like I need to strip everything off to prevent heat stroke, but there's rarely room to do so comfortably, and even if you do, you just have to put it all back on again before your stop.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just ban heaters. AC is sometimes necessary, but don't ever heat anything that's not within the arctic circle.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Just ban heaters. AC is sometimes necessary, but don't ever heat anything that's not within the arctic circle.
Yeah, gently caress the entire northern continental U.S.!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think there's a reasonable balance that can be struck, where emissions are kept to a minimum, people acclimatize to the outside temperature which is beneficial for your health and comfort, but we still use AC and heating to make people more comfortable and stop people from dying of too hot or too cold.

I would suggest that the minimum the AC can be set too should be 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and the maximum the heater can be set to is 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

What are you, my grandparents with that 80 degrees? There is nothing worse than going to their place in the florida summer where they keep it at 80. 77-78, ok, fine if you're short on money that month, but 80 is when it approaches unbearable.

I keep my place at 68. Yeah I pay a lot for my utilities bill but after living somewhere with no AC for the past few years, I need it otherwise I have flashbacks of needing to put rotating bags of frozen peas on my head just to feel a modicum of comfort when it starts getting over 90-100 degrees out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I keep my place at 68.

yeah you shouldn't do that