Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Taima posted:

The food court is easily the worst thing about Costco, and I say that as someone who has been shopping there regularly for over a decade. They have no idea what to do with the food court. They got rid of the polish, which was loving idiotic. They should just embrace the food court being a non-revenue generating part of the experience, but instead they are bringing all kinds of stupid poo poo in an effort to make it a money maker. gently caress the food court.

Now that the polish is gone, the best food court item I've had is the al pastor pineapple pizza you can get in Mexico, and it's so lit, but you would never get that in America. Costco needs to clean up its food court more than anything else about the store. Decide what the gently caress you want the food court to be. Ideally they would say "hey you're spending $200 per trip, maybe the food court should be a value add" but that's not where they're trying to go with it at all and it's frustrating.

If they brought the rotating al pastor meat to the USA like they had in Mexico, it would be a slam dunk and they could do not just the al pastor pizza, but tacos etc. but for whatever reason every decision the food court makes in terms of its offerings in the USA is complete poo poo.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018
Costco Al Pastor would make me fatter.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Write to Costco and complain about the food court. They seem to actually read the complaints

Especially now that they're ij the middle of switching doughs to a worse formula

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Also them jacking up prices across the board my making things more "premium" is bad imo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

The food court is easily the worst thing about Costco.

Nope.

Taima posted:

in an effort to make it a money maker.

the whole operation is a loss-leader. They might make a decent $ off of the pizza to offset the hot dog deal cost.

Taima posted:

If they brought the rotating al pastor meat to the USA like they had in Mexico, it would be a slam dunk

Yeah in like 5 states. Everything they do is scaleable. People at at Costco in Nebraska would look at a trompo of al pastor and probably shout at it

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Chinatown posted:

People at at Costco in Nebraska would look at a trompo of al pastor and probably lock it up in a detention center

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Look. The polish was good. But idk if it was a ,"write a 1 page angry essay about it being gone" good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Look. The polish was good. But idk if it was a ,"write a 1 page angry essay about it being gone" good.

:wrong:

It was.

The dog is ok but it’s no polish.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The polish had pork, right?

This is also probably why we'll never see al pastor unless it's that gross vegan "al pastor" they put in the fake al pastor salad

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like the coffee slushie hold the chocolate syrup

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I frequently get the vanilla frozen yogurt (I wish they'd bring back chocolate though, acai isn't great) instead of a dog. It's not amazing yogurt, but it's a big cup for ~$1.50 and it's been loving hot lately.

I'm actually glad it's not actual ice cream as I'm lactose intolerant.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
A lot of my locals got so many complaints about them removing the berry sundae that they brought them back

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

JK Fresco posted:

Write to Costco and complain about the food court. They seem to actually read the complaints

Especially now that they're ij the middle of switching doughs to a worse formula

Worse? I had a slice the other day and immediately noticed how delightfully airy and light the dough was. Definite improvement over the old recipe imo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

:wrong:

It was.

The dog is ok but it’s no polish.

The polish was ok but it's no brat.

Thank god they got rid of the polish. I'm glad we got our brat back.

Ordering the brat and hearing "did you mean the polish?" by an inexperienced food court worker was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

MisterOblivious posted:

The polish was ok but it's no brat.

Thank god they got rid of the polish. I'm glad we got our brat back.

Ordering the brat and hearing "did you mean the polish?" by an inexperienced food court worker was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Brats are a regional item. Some places have Italian sausage instead but some have nothing

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The day I riot is the day they remove Chicken Bakes. And coffee slushies.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Chinatown posted:

the whole operation is a loss-leader. They might make a decent $ off of the pizza to offset the hot dog deal cost.

Definitely possible. They've been trying to change that though, as all of the newer items seem profit-generating.

For example the turkey sandwich. They make the bread in their own bakery. The portions are generous but they are using Kirkland sourcing for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if the margin on that item was generous. Same goes for the acai bowl.

I could be off base here for sure but it seems like they're slowly and methodically adding higher margin items while slowly killing off the clear loss leaders like the polish. Admittedly the overall strategy for the food court has been so unclear, however, that it's hard to figure out exactly what they're trying to accomplish.

quote:

Yeah in like 5 states. Everything they do is scaleable. People at at Costco in Nebraska would look at a trompo of al pastor and probably shout at it

Hah, fair enough.

JK Fresco posted:

Ah right, the pizza dough, that's a good point too I wasn't even thinking of that.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

This but the rotisserie chicken. Papa needs his cheap chicken stock. $4.99 is beyond highway robbery.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the turkey sandwich is HIGHLY underrated imho

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Taima posted:

This but the rotisserie chicken. Papa needs his cheap chicken stock. $4.99 is beyond highway robbery.

This reminds me that I bought a chicken this week and threw away the carcass because I have no idea what to do with chicken stock. Makes me feel like a monster given how many pro-stock posts I read here.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make soup. Drink it. Put it in random food items. Make some super ramen. Possibilites are endless.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That's the magic of chicken stock baby. You can put it in whatever. Cooking some rice? Hit that with some chicken stock. Making a curry? Stock. I mean poo poo you can toss some herbs in there and just heat it up in a mug and drink it. There's a million things that benefit from a little stock. That's not even getting into the obvious (soups).

After I make the stock I pour it into individual sandwich bags and freeze it so it's easy to portion out. It's really up there with MSG in terms of versatile and easy flavor enhancement (and everyone should have MSG in their pantry but that's a topic for another day).

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Homemade stock is the only thing for risotto, which is absurdly easy to make in an Instant Pot (now available at Costco, and sometimes they have Arborio rice too).

Taima posted:

(and everyone should have MSG in their pantry but that's a topic for another day).
Thai fish sauce. It's basically 100% glutamates so it does the same (magical) thing as MSG while being harder to overuse. As amazing as MSG is, it completely ruins dinner if you go too far.

I have never seen Thai fish sauce at Costco. They should really get on that.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

They already doubled the price on mocha freezes with the excuse that they're "cold brew" now

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Taima posted:

I could be off base here for sure but it seems like they're slowly and methodically adding higher margin items while slowly killing off the clear loss leaders like the polish. Admittedly the overall strategy for the food court has been so unclear, however, that it's hard to figure out exactly what they're trying to accomplish.

I would surmise that there is a battle raging about this internally, with the Costco true believers on one side and the disgusting outside MBAs and shareholder fetishists on the other.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JK Fresco posted:

I would surmise that there is a battle raging about this internally, with the Costco true believers on one side and the disgusting outside MBAs and shareholder fetishists on the other.
yeah. james sinegal was very good, and although craig jelinek was his handpicked replacement and pretty good at representing what sinegal believe in, but only barely holding up the doors of the Number Must Go UPP crowd beating down the doors.

some costco employees can weigh in, but i understand their benefits have gotten a little worse and pay is largely stagnated, less breaks, theres some vending machines in the break room where employees can buy expensive poo poo instead of previous free food, and their vendor treatment is getting closer to walmart-esque handling. and really pushing tons of commissiony poo poo like citibank, solar panels, flooring, w/e. kirkland brand has definitely gotten way more expensive / less quantity for the buck on a bunch of products or been reformulated to be cheaper (like the pesto used to be amazing with lots of pinenuts n stuff but now largely cheaper cheese-filler ingredients). part of that is slapping an "organic" label on it, part of it is just because they can. food court is probably the primo example though with constantly trying to see whats more profitable that'll sell and getting rid of polish and 'kraut n cheaper pizza dough and new items they don't really make sense but they command a higher price.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JK Fresco posted:

They already doubled the price on mocha freezes with the excuse that they're "cold brew" now

Oh no

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Taima posted:

The food court is easily the worst thing about Costco, and I say that as someone who has been shopping there regularly for over a decade. They have no idea what to do with the food court. They got rid of the polish, which was loving idiotic. They should just embrace the food court being a non-revenue generating part of the experience, but instead they are bringing all kinds of stupid poo poo in an effort to make it a money maker. gently caress the food court.

Now that the polish is gone, the best food court item I've had is the al pastor pineapple pizza you can get in Mexico, and it's so lit, but you would never get that in America. Costco needs to clean up its food court more than anything else about the store. Decide what the gently caress you want the food court to be. Ideally they would say "hey you're spending $200 per trip, maybe the food court should be a value add" but that's not where they're trying to go with it at all and it's frustrating.

If they brought the rotating al pastor meat to the USA like they had in Mexico, it would be a slam dunk and they could do not just the al pastor pizza, but tacos etc. but for whatever reason every decision the food court makes in terms of its offerings in the USA is complete poo poo.

I think you'll find a huge portion of America is scared of flavor. This shows up some in Food Court but is most noticeable in anything pre prepared. Also seen in Disney.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Xaris posted:

yeah. james sinegal was very good, and although craig jelinek was his handpicked replacement and pretty good at representing what sinegal believe in, but only barely holding up the doors of the Number Must Go UPP crowd beating down the doors.

some costco employees can weigh in, but i understand their benefits have gotten a little worse and pay is largely stagnated, less breaks, theres some vending machines in the break room where employees can buy expensive poo poo instead of previous free food, and their vendor treatment is getting closer to walmart-esque handling. and really pushing tons of commissiony poo poo like citibank, solar panels, flooring, w/e. kirkland brand has definitely gotten way more expensive / less quantity for the buck on a bunch of products or been reformulated to be cheaper (like the pesto used to be amazing with lots of pinenuts n stuff but now largely cheaper cheese-filler ingredients). part of that is slapping an "organic" label on it, part of it is just because they can. food court is probably the primo example though with constantly trying to see whats more profitable that'll sell and getting rid of polish and 'kraut n cheaper pizza dough and new items they don't really make sense but they command a higher price.

Did Costco murder your family?

FYI this year (in Canada) our benefits for mental health professionals increased by 500 percent and they now pay 100 percent, up from 80. The US employees also received permanent pay increases after the trump tax cut. Both countries have had the starting wage increase significantly over the last couple of years.

Is Costco a faultless employer? No. But do you ever have an axe to grind..

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is the same guy who had a mental breakdown over shareholders in this thread a few months ago, just let him freak out a bit.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

I think you'll find a huge portion of America is scared of flavor. This shows up some in Food Court but is most noticeable in anything pre prepared. Also seen in Disney.

What's the food at Disney like I bet it costs a fortune

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Al pastor will prob never happen because they definitely won't add another pork item on the menu.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What's the deal with the solar panel stuff at Costco, anyways? Is it the common "pay 200 a month for the panels but look at your low energy bill!" scam?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grem posted:

What's the deal with the solar panel stuff at Costco, anyways? Is it the common "pay 200 a month for the panels but look at your low energy bill!" scam?

How is financing a large purchase a scam?

If you're talking about the vendors in the stores, it's SunRun who is a large national solar provider.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

How is financing a large purchase a scam?

If you're talking about the vendors in the stores, it's SunRun who is a large national solar provider.

I'm guessing it's one of those things where they don't really tell you how many decades it'll take to pay for itself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

binge crotching posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those things where they don't really tell you how many decades it'll take to pay for itself.

The door-to-door salesman who hit me up ran the numbers as if my whole power bill was for electricity even though most of it was for gas heating, making solar a really awful value proposition.

Another thing to watch out for is if you don't pay off the loan by the time you sell your house you'll either have to pay it all off or convince the buyer to take it on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fallom posted:

The door-to-door salesman who hit me up ran the numbers as if my whole power bill was for electricity even though most of it was for gas heating, making solar a really awful value proposition.

Another thing to watch out for is if you don't pay off the loan by the time you sell your house you'll either have to pay it all off or convince the buyer to take it on.

It really depends on your household usage and how solar-friendly your utility is.

When I got my solar system, the monthly cost to finance my system was the same price as my cheapest monthly electric bill.

Some states or utilities don't buy back electricity at retail rates to cap the amount of credits you can bank from month to month. Something like that is going to make solar a much different proposition.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

shovelbum posted:

What's the food at Disney like I bet it costs a fortune

Bland for the most part. I mean there's some good and bad food but mostly it's just kind of okay. I mean I was sick when I went but I maintain that wasn't relevant to my opinion.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

It's worth a almost 15 minutes nationwide radio rant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-yQxuuU8M

Then again, it's Jim Rome, so it only like 3 mins of content and 12 mins of soundbites and long pauses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I listen to Jim Rome every day. :twisted:

That's a good rant.