Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I didn't make any predictions because I don't mind who wins as long as it's not Fale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't make any predictions because i know it's going to be iboreshi or boreto. maybe borekada or tanaboreshi. at best it might be boreta, jay bort, or will boresprey. might as well not even watch

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

my favorite wrestler is also named jay bort

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't wait to watch Bort Luck Fale vs Zack Sabort Jr.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

something needs to hit KENTA or Okada soon because they're both already on 8, and it makes the last night of A Block make little sense. I expect a rapid losing streak.

They've got each other next, so something's gotta give. I think the winning streaks have been a mini story for the first half of the round robin, leading to the midway pay off.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

He draws with Okada and finishes with 11 points. Okada also finishes on 11 and SANADA wins the block despite the low points thanks to their head-to-head :colbert:

I don't see how going to a draw in the tiebreaker leads to SANADA winning the block

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Congrats to the Guerrillas of Destiny for no longer having the ROH belts

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Hahahahahahahahahaha Jay White still has zero points!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Chris James 2 posted:

Congrats to the Guerrillas of Destiny for no longer having the ROH belts

:toot:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I wonder when they'll appear in ROH next after tonight.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Honestly forgot they were still the ROH champs

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I love the G1 a lot

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jerusalem posted:

He draws with Okada and finishes with 11 points. Okada also finishes on 11 and SANADA wins the block despite the low points thanks to their head-to-head :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

your B block doe

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just want a 30min Yano Taro match.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I spent a lot of Ishii vs. Moxley being terrified for the audience

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gumball Gumption posted:

I spent a lot of Ishii vs. Moxley being terrified for the audience

I'm still getting over Ishii doing a SPLASH THRU A TABLE

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah I just finished that match and holy poo poo yeah, that's easily top 5 I've seen this year. Just holy loving poo poo.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
NJPW pretty great y’all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I Before E posted:

I don't see how going to a draw in the tiebreaker leads to SANADA winning the block

They go to Handsome Points, obviously!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So being wholly unfamiliar with him before this G1, what are some Lance Archer matches I should watch? Cause he has really impressed me, and dammit I really thought he had Tanahashi there at the end.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i don't know either

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Archer spent most of his time before now in a tag team with Davey Boy Smith Jr called Killer Elite Squad, and they were a part of Suzuki-Gun. DBS Jr has since left New Japan, feeling frustrated that he wasn't getting a chance to showcase what he was capable of, and Archer - who has remained in Suzuki-Gun - has ironically actually ended up being given the opportunity that DBS Jr wanted.

Archer had a pretty good match with Will Ospreay in Round 2 of this year's New Japan Cup, which most people took as more of a sign of Ospreay's talent than anything else. But after working tirelessly to promote the opening night of the G1 in Dallas, Archer got given a little push as a result and he's absolutely made the most of it, and what we're seeing now is basically the best he's ever been in New Japan. It's possible he and DBS might have some hidden gems from their brief excursion to NOAH a few years back when there was a working relationship between New Japan and NOAH, but I didn't see any of it so I couldn't tell you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A Real Horse posted:

So being wholly unfamiliar with him before this G1, what are some Lance Archer matches I should watch? Cause he has really impressed me, and dammit I really thought he had Tanahashi there at the end.

Go back and watch the Will Ospreay match from the New Japan Cup this year. Also check Killer Elite Squad vs EVIL and SANADA from Wrestle Kingdom 12 & KES vs War Machine vs Guerrilas of Destiny from Destruction in Kobe 2017.

Archer vs AJ Styles from G1 24 Night 8 and Archer vs Hirooki Goto from G1 23 Night 4 for singles action.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 21, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ZSJ interview also worth watching for confirming that climate change is real and the Earth isn't flat. Big money feud with AJ Styles incoming??

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

ZSJ interview also worth watching for confirming that climate change is real and the Earth isn't flat. Big money feud with AJ Styles incoming??

Maybe a big WK match with Jeff Cobb to decide the shape once and for all. Or an intergender match with Mayu Iwatani over it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Maybe a big WK match with Jeff Cobb

Oh ffs :ughh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Do you really want wrestlers to not be dumb as dirt?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I had a joke about Cobb being round and Zack being flat but I forgot even that was the whole reason I replied, but yeah he's either a flat earther or joked about it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It appears japanese fans online are absolutely ice cold on KENTA.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is there a reason for it?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

they all want their heads kicked off their bodies

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kenta Kobashi looked happy that KENTA was back and therefore all Japanese fans better goddamn fall in line because who the gently caress* is gonna go against somebody as wonderful as Kenta Kobashi?

* Okay sure Kawada's a given....

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

extradite THIS! posted:

Some comments:

"Everything about him is boring"
"Watching him is dull"
"He doesn't move well. Send Marufuji instead"
"Washed out of the WWE and is now beating all the guys who have worked hard for New Japan"
"I don't like his comments"
"I'm sorry. I can't cheer for KENTA"
"It's not good enough to just wrestle for yourself. His wrestling is not fun for the audience"
"Why did KENTA come to New Japan? His style is boring. Go back to NOAH"
"It's that easy to just come in and beat all the New Japan guys, huh."
"It's just one-sided kicking"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So Japan's also got bad Internet takes, huh.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

It's funny because japanese fans are generally a lot more positive. And it's not just an invader thing either, the takes on Moxley are more like:

"He's accustomed to Japan well"
"Unexpectedly polite on the mic for a mad dog lol"
"I don't understand English but his feelings come across in the ring"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Someone wrote a whole blog about why KENTA shouldn't beat Okada so now I hope he does

https://tope-suicida.tokyo/archives/11507

(reasons are "he just does strikes" (which is cool), "he buried EVIL on the mic" and "Okada vs Ospreay was good")

Tonfa posted:

It's funny because japanese fans are generally a lot more positive. And it's not just an invader thing either, the takes on Moxley are more like:

"He's accustomed to Japan well"
"Unexpectedly polite on the mic for a mad dog lol"
"I don't understand English but his feelings come across in the ring"

There's a difference in the perception of an invader from another Japanese company and overseas though.

Shibata took a while to be accepted too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I don't agree with a lot of those takes but the pushback doesn't come completely surprising to me either, Kenta is booked very strong but I'm not sure I'd put him the top 5 of guys in the tourney so far.