Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m almost certain it’ll be Crusher and/or Geordi on some mission gone wrong and that’s why he left Starfleet. Maybe he even loses the Enterprise in the process.

They did an exhibition as part of the promo featuring memorabilia from TNG and the Picard show which says he retired from the Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Spiner looks bloated as gently caress

Or

Daddy Data thiccccc af💦💦🤖💦💦😩

Pick your Andarrian beryllic poison.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a single Klingon in Picard simply because they don't have a please everyone approach to the makeup.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jealous Cow posted:

Spiner looks bloated as gently caress

Or

Daddy Data thiccccc af💦💦🤖💦💦😩

Pick your Andarrian beryllic poison.

I’m pretty sure he’s 80% prosthetic and 20% digital smoothing. It looks really off, but that’s probably the best they can do without 100% CGI-ing Data.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

Did they rescue tom riker

Here is my Short Treks script for that:

INT. BEDROOM

KIRA NERYS, wearing a nightdress, settles into
bed. Although more than 20 years older than
the last time we saw her, she has changed little.

KIRA

"Computer, lights."

The lights dim and KIRA settles into her pillow
and closes her eyes. Zoom in in KIRA'S face.

KIRA'S eyes suddenly open and she sits up, as
if she's just remembered something important.

KIRA

"poo poo!"

INT CARDASSIAN PRISON CELL

THOMAS RIKER twiddles his thumbs.

END

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Bloop posted:

I'm excited. The complainers are joyless and jaded

I'll just quote you now and tell you to gently caress the gently caress off if you're just going to make serial shitposts about how you aren't doing things

I didn't make any shitposts or posts about not doing things. I mean, besides not watching Nemesis but I thought everyone was on the same page that I shouldn't do that

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It just occurred to me that some random website with no supporting evidence back in May was right about Data appearing on this show

Well then, tell me everything that website says, it must be the one true correct source of information about reality

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a single Klingon in Picard simply because they don't have a please everyone approach to the makeup.

I assume by "everyone" you just mean whatever producers refuse to just use the 90s makeup.

The Bloop posted:

I'm excited. The complainers are joyless and jaded.

This is true. Thanks, Discovery and Into Darkness!

I'm kind of glad the trailer was so disappointing, maybe now my expectations will be so low I can eek out some kind of mild enjoyment like I did with Discovery season 2.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I liked the "This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation" sign. I laughed at the Captain Picard Day banner too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

pyrotek posted:

This is true. Thanks, Discovery and Into Darkness!

I'm kind of glad the trailer was so disappointing, maybe now my expectations will be so low I can eek out some kind of mild enjoyment like I did with Discovery season 2.

That's what I'm saying. If you're honest with yourself about what it's obviously, unavoidably going to be you'll be happier in the long run

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

That's why he wanted Data dead at the end of Nemesis.

Spiner was making noise about Data getting killed off as far back as First Contact.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's what I'm saying. If you're honest with yourself about what it's obviously, unavoidably going to be you'll be happier in the long run

OR you could just enjoy things for what they are instead of living in a constant state of heightened expectations and disappointment, or alternately joyless pre-complaining

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Spiner was making noise about Data getting killed off as far back as First Contact.

Doesn’t he hate the role and generally think sci-fi is for dumb nerds?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

He's living a cursed existence if he hates sci-fi because he was in ID4 and ID4-2

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jealous Cow posted:

He doesn't hate it, but by the time the TNG movies rolled around, he was just using them as opportunities to get a few million bucks out of Paramount every few years. He's always been a mercenary.

Data was supposed to get whacked in Insurrection but they eventually dropped the idea. When Spiner received the shooting script, it had a note from Rick Berman that said, "Sorry. Maybe next time."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Nah.

There are these quotes where he's critical of people who don't think he's literally Data and fairly criticizes the fact that Star Trek has its cake and eats it too with its utopian society where people still murder each other.

But he's overall really positive about the show.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I didn't make any shitposts or posts about not doing things. I mean, besides not watching Nemesis but I thought everyone was on the same page that I shouldn't do that

Watching Nemesis is like taking a shot of Malort. No one actually wants to, but sometimes it's necessary as a group signifier thing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Hmm ok, so that's where Nero got the Borg tech for the Narada.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

OR you could just enjoy things for what they are instead of living in a constant state of heightened expectations and disappointment, or alternately joyless pre-complaining

a bloo bloo you're joyless and aren't enjoying things properly because you aren't hyped for nostalgia thing a bloo

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

I think Brent might be misunderstanding people. They're not disappointed that he's not Data, they're disappointed that he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The secret Romulan terror cell based on a he destroyed borg cube is clearly using slaves of some kind (maybe former drones whatever) to make a DOOMSDAY DEVICE to seek REVENGE against the Federation. Because that’s what Star Trek is about.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Bloop posted:

It looks bad to me. I'm not going to enjoy something for what it is if it's lovely. Call me a radical if you must but my choice is to not watch things that are bad

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Senor Tron posted:

If the Romulan Star Empire has collapsed or even just been severely weakened, there is no doubt the Klingons would move on their space, and quickly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Delthalaz posted:

The secret Romulan terror cell based on a he destroyed borg cube is clearly using slaves of some kind (maybe former drones whatever) to make a DOOMSDAY DEVICE to seek REVENGE against the Federation. Because that’s what Star Trek is about.

Yes. Yes it is.

We had a doomsday device in TOS.
The second movie was all about revenge.
Romulans will pull all kinds of poo poo, per several TNG episodes
Although the Federation isn't above covert ops against the Romulans, also see a TOS episode.
A prison break featured in the sixth movie.
Forced labor has shown up several times, including in Voyager with duplicates of a main cast member forced into physical labor.

This is very much Trek.3

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

And for must see Seven episodes see Infinite Regress. It is stunning how Ryan is able to capture several distinct characters with changes in voice and posture. Wonderful acting.

Similarly, the episode where the Doctor hides in Seven and takes over her, Jeri Ryan really does a great job hitting all the Doctors mannerisms and speech inflections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1_kNar92A

You became sexually aroused in my body! :mad: is an incredible line.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Spalec posted:

Similarly, the episode where the Doctor hides in Seven and takes over her, Jeri Ryan really does a great job hitting all the Doctors mannerisms and speech inflections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1_kNar92A

You became sexually aroused in my body! :mad: is an incredible line.

Yeah she nails it.

It's great that a lot of Seven-heavy episodes also are Doctor-heavy. Far and away the best characters on the show so having them together is always a good time.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Galaxy destroying Mcguffin? Check.
Random references to memorable things from TNG? Check.
Completely throw out the aesthetic to the source material to Orange-And-Teal it up? Check.
ACTION. KARATE KICKS! Check.

Here we go again.

Disco could at least justify throwing everything visual from TOS out as it being too out dated (Although I still think this was a mistake - I'd love to see modern show designed using 60's-esq design cues, but I get the argument), but so much of our modern computer interface design was inspired from TNG-era shows that it still largely holds up - Especially DS9/Voy, once they ditched the space cruise liner idea from TNG. I'd love to see what you could do with that aesthetic, minus the limitations of every panel being a backlit piece of perspex. Instead, we get another show that looks like JJTrek.

Don't get me wrong, the show looks absolutely loving gorgeous on it's own terms, and so long as they can actually keep a consistent plot going for more than 4 episodes straight, I'm sure it'll be a perfectly fun dumb action adventure series. I'll watch it, but it's on Prime here anyway so why not; If I had to spend extra actual money to watch it I'd have second thoughts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

galenanorth posted:

I live at the bottom of a steep hill near a creek in an apartment next to a large field with a forest on its perimeter, and there are some falcons or eagles which like to perch on the telephone poles and make those kinds of noises. I'm not an ornithologist and the cry of a falcon does sound different from an eagle, but it didn't really bother me.

You're right, I think it's actually a falcon screech? That sound clip has just gotten really clichéd as either an eagle or just generic overlay of a desert landscape. If I recall right, eagles actually sound pretty silly when they scream.

Bilirubin posted:

maybe it was a jump cut from his having scaled El Cap alone, while brooding?

Cap Picard is climbing a mountain. Why is Cap Picard climbing a mountain?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trailer looks like someone saw Logan and went :homebrew:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pastamania posted:

Disco could at least justify throwing everything visual from TOS out as it being too out dated (Although I still think this was a mistake - I'd love to see modern show designed using 60's-esq design cues, but I get the argument), but so much of our modern computer interface design was inspired from TNG-era shows that it still largely holds up - Especially DS9/Voy, once they ditched the space cruise liner idea from TNG. I'd love to see what you could do with that aesthetic, minus the limitations of every panel being a backlit piece of perspex. Instead, we get another show that looks like JJTrek.

Don't get me wrong, the show looks absolutely loving gorgeous on it's own terms, and so long as they can actually keep a consistent plot going for more than 4 episodes straight, I'm sure it'll be a perfectly fun dumb action adventure series. I'll watch it, but it's on Prime here anyway so why not; If I had to spend extra actual money to watch it I'd have second thoughts.

DISCO hit remarkably high marks for visual design in a retro-futuristic style. A big reason why so many folks want a Pike/Spock/Number One series is so we get this design aesthetic for whole seasons. Nitpick what you want, but that's amazing eye candy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICKkpOyu4Y

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, I hate what they did to the bridge of the Enterprise. Turned something quite warm and nice into black and shiny because things have to be black and shiny now. With tron outlines everywhere.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 21, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

That trailer was awesome even if the show ends up being total poo poo because it was worth it seeing the Picard Day banner from TNG again.

STP: Where Every Day Is Captain Picard Day

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So they're going full-on Space Elves with Picard's Vulcan-With-Long-Hair-And-A-Katana sidekick, I see.

Really liked that trailer. Pleasantly surprised that they didn't just retcon the 24th century aesthetic, and that there are clear lines of evolution between how things looked at the end of Voyager to now. The uniforms at Starfleet Command are an updated version of the DS9/Voyager design, which is pretty nice, and if you look closely you can also see that they kept the All Good Things communicator too.

Seems pretty likely that we're going with Romulan revanchists coming across a Borg cube and using it for their nefarious plans. The girl is an ex-Borg refugee who reaches out to Locutus Picard for help or maybe they'll be hamfisted enough to make her his daughter with the Borg Queen or something, and because of Picard's history of dealing with the Romulans (presumably leading the humanitarian relief armada to Romulus after the Hobus supernova, something mentioned in the first teaser).

I would have sworn that Brent Spiner would never return, but he's probably getting a decent paycheck.

Jeri Ryan is great and that was completely unexpected. Hope the inevitable cameos give us at least someone from DS9 though.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy is the best Voyager episode. Followed by Bride of Chaotica.

I remain optimistic about Tarantino-trek and skeptical of Picard. I’m sure there will be fun moments, but there’s a god drat stoic guy with a drat sword in P Stew’s merry band (edit: and someone beat me to this mention while I’m typing this post). Borg refugees is way more interesting than anything else I was expecting, but whipping out a Borg cube and space fighting in the trailer just makes my eyes roll completely around.

I’m a super grumpy pants, though.

Hoping Q shows up as his current age and it’s implied it’s just to tease Picard about growing old.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like in TNG is Worf gradually becoming more Trad-Klingon in appearance in a very subtle way as the series progresses. He starts with a shakespeare bob-cut but shortly after the events with his brother and Gauron he allows it to grow out, tying it into a ponytail. Then in the episode where he meets Kahless he fully immerses himself in Klingon culture, undoes his hair and for the first time in the series he looks fully like all the other Klingons as we see just how profound an effect "Growing his hair" has had.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

While I agree, we need more new life/new civilizations and boldly going, this is easily something I could see Romulan doing.

Also, i bet the founders would start a war with the borg because they are arrogant pricks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well that trailer definitely has quite a few of the things that we all dreaded, but were also somewhat inevitable. More Borg. Fat Data/B4. Actually having to remember Nemesis. But 7 of 9 is definitely a surprise, in a good way.

Overall it seems like they are more or less going the obvious route, where Picard is out of the game but someone needs him for one last mission, because Borg. So now I guess it's all down to the execution.

I don't like the way the new characters look. Hopefully they're not annoying.

I feel like Data looking slightly creepy is a callback to either Farpoint or one of the makeup tests, but I'm not really sure.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Keeping all the Data parts in a drawer reminds me of Blade Runner 2049, don' they do that or something very similar?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Golden Gael posted:

Keeping all the Data parts in a drawer reminds me of Blade Runner 2049, don' they do that or something very similar?

I mean what are they going to do? Leave them on the floor. I'm sure people don't want to be tripping over a bunch of spare Data dick's all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean what are they going to do? Leave them on the floor. I'm sure people don't want to be tripping over a bunch of spare Data dick's all the time.

maybe you don't