Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Czech retailer leaked a November release for Lawrence of Arabia on UHD. Nothing for the US release, obviously, but the Czech disc was listed as a BD-100 with HDR and Dolby Atmos sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

A Czech retailer leaked a November release for Lawrence of Arabia on UHD. Nothing for the US release, obviously, but the Czech disc was listed as a BD-100 with HDR and Dolby Atmos sound.

:fap::fap::fap::fap:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kinda weird that as of mid-August the entire MCU will be available in UHD but for some reason still no Guardians of the Galaxy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda weird that as of mid-August the entire MCU will be available in UHD but for some reason still no Guardians of the Galaxy.

Are they finally putting out the other stuff that's not in UHD?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Teenage Fansub posted:

Saw this today. It's the first UHD disk I've seen in one of those VHS cases.

I for one welcome our 90's Nostalgia Overlords.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Just saw that a UHD for Akira was announced a couple days ago!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Are they finally putting out the other stuff that's not in UHD?

Yea, first two Thor films and Iron Man trilogy coming out the same day as Endgame.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, first two Thor films and Iron Man trilogy coming out the same day as Endgame.

Nice. Hopefully better releases than the European 4k ones, which I hear suck.

E: Does anyone know when stuff like this goes up on Disney movie club for pre-order?

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 10, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Nice. Hopefully better releases than the European 4k ones, which I hear suck.

E: Does anyone know when stuff like this goes up on Disney movie club for pre-order?

I just looked, and they only list Iron Man 1 as DVD and Bluray. Captain America: First Avenger UHD is listed as "New and Upcoming", but doesn't list a date for that.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout’s release of The Harder They Come is STACKED

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS

DISC ONE:

-BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION FROM THE ORIGINAL 16MM NEGATIVE

-NEW Audio Commentary with author David Katz (Jimmy Cliff: An Unauthorized Biography)
One and All: The Phenomenon of THE HARDER THEY COME

-Hard Road to Travel: The Making of THE HARDER THEY COME - directed by Chris Browne

-Vintage interviews with Jimmy Cliff, Arthur Gorson and director Perry Henzell

-Vintage interview with a director of photography David MacDonald

-Vintage interview with line producer Yvonne Brewster

-THE HARDER THEY COME music video

DISC TWO:

-NEW NO PLACE LIKE HOME - restoration from the original 16mm film elements

-NEW audio commentary with Sally Henzell, David Garonzik, Cookie Kinkead and Arthur Gorson

-NEW Perry Henzell: A Filmmaker's Odyssey - A short film on the long path to completing "NO PLACE LIKE HOME"

-NEW Rise Up from the Cutting Room Floor – the restoration of "NO PLACE LIKE HOME"

-NEW Audio Bonus Feature – P.J. Soles original vocal track and original acoustic guitar demo by Steven Soles for the title song "World Full of Beauty"

-NEW Theatrical Trailer

DISC THREE:

-THE LEGACY OF PERRY HENZELL: A STORY OF JAMAICAN CINEMA (Produced and directed by Arthur Gorson and David Garonzik, Executive Producer Justine Henzell)

-NEW Filmin' in the Gully – Anatomy of Three Scenes – with "The Harder They Come" cinematographer Franklyn "Chappy" St. Juste

-NEW Duppies in the Control Room – Dynamic Sounds Studios Then and Now

-NEW 10A – Jamaica's Film Yard – The story of Perry Henzell's Kingston home and production center – featuring Sally Henzell, Jason Henzell, Maxine Walters, Justine Henzell and more

-NEW A Conversation with Sir Ridley Scott

-NEW Live From the Reggae Awards: Red Carpet interviews with stars of the Jamaican music industry - conducted at Kingston's most recent annual music awards show

-NEW Out of Many One Filmmaker – The Disciples of Perry Henzell: featuring interviews with directors Storm Saulter, Rass Kassa, Chris Browne and producer Maxine Walters.

-NEW Everyone A Star: The Original Cast – including actors P.J. Soles, Carl Bradshaw and Winston Stona

-NEW Big Heap of Help: The Original Support Team – interviews with Perry's first personal assistant Beverley Manley, Assistant Director Bobby Russell, and more

-NEW Roots: The Family Henzell - including interviews with Sally Henzell, Justine Henzell and Jason Henzell

-NEW How Perry Rocked the World – interviews with "Native" Wayne Jobson, historian Chris Salewicz, and composer Steven Soles.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Brick Blu-Ray delayed indefinitely booooooo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

drat. Any reason given? I bought the Region B version a couple years back by mistake and I've really been itching to revisit it...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bluray.com forums and Kino Insider there are saying it's just til 2020. Johnson didn't even know they had it until they announced it and wanted to get involved, so I assume there's either something that made him unhappy or some extra attention being given to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh, that's great, then. I know he wrote a novella before writing the script, so I'm willing to bet there's a lot of great material that he'd be able to draw from for an extensive release.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, it’s probably gonna turn out OK but drat, I was looking forward to that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Doom Patrol season one is coming to blu-ray.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sanguinia posted:

I for one welcome our 90's Nostalgia Overlords.

The pinch boxes are 100% mid-80s. Then they went to those horrible clamshells for the 90s. Bring back the pinch boxes!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout Comic-Con Announcements 2019

Universal Horror Volume 3
The Abominable Snowman
Dr Jekyll Sister Hyde
The Fan
Prophecy
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Body Parts
Road Games
Pet Sematary 2
Frank Langella’s DRACULA
THE FLY Collection
Silver Bullet CE
Big Trouble in Little China
My Bloody Valentine (original) (2 disc)
Twins
The Wizard
Very Bad Things
Brewster’s Millions

Looks like Paramount titles are finally up for grabs. Holy poo poo.

Edit: blog post with dates and more stuff.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 21, 2019

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aw poo poo yeah, The Fly II on Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To clarify, Paramount has just had an embargo on their "legacy" titles, meaning anything they released on DVD. Only exceptions have been 1900 (Olive), The Duellists (Shout - long OOP), The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Medium Cool, Election, The Virgin Suicides, Days of Heaven, Nashville, Seconds, Don't Look Now, Rosemary's Baby, and Harold and Maude (all Criterion) - just 12 titles since 2007. However, they've licensed literally hundreds of titles to Olive Films and Kino Lorber (plus a few to Criterion) of titles they hadn't released since VHS/laserdisc (many never got a US video release at all).

So, this is a pretty big deal. If Shout! got some titles from them, that probably means we'll see some from Kino Lorber and Criterion, too. There's 4Ks of the '53 War of the Worlds, Chinatown, The Court Jester, A Place in the Sun, It's a Wonderful Life, and True Grit '69 that haven't been used for video yet.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

To clarify, Paramount has just had an embargo on their "legacy" titles, meaning anything they released on DVD. Only exceptions have been 1900 (Olive), The Duellists (Shout - long OOP), The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Medium Cool, Election, The Virgin Suicides, Days of Heaven, Nashville, Seconds, Don't Look Now, Rosemary's Baby, and Harold and Maude (all Criterion) - just 12 titles since 2007. However, they've licensed literally hundreds of titles to Olive Films and Kino Lorber (plus a few to Criterion) of titles they hadn't released since VHS/laserdisc (many never got a US video release at all).

So, this is a pretty big deal. If Shout! got some titles from them, that probably means we'll see some from Kino Lorber and Criterion, too. There's 4Ks of the '53 War of the Worlds, Chinatown, The Court Jester, A Place in the Sun, It's a Wonderful Life, and True Grit '69 that haven't been used for video yet.

I can always count on you to clear up details on rights. It looks like 2020 might be an amazing year for boutique labels.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Aw poo poo yeah, The Fly II on Blu-ray.

That movie is bad and stupid but I love the part where the guy has transformed into the monster and in the middle of his rampage he stops to pet the dog.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

A local theater just announced Chris Walas was coming to a film screening for a Q&A and the one parenthetical credit they included was make-up effects for The Fly and I was, like, I think you mean the director of The Fly II, dudes. Solid head-crushing scene, too.

Gonna do a Daphne Zuniga double feach of Spaceballs and The Fly II as soon as that comes out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder if Big Trouble in Little China is a new transfer. The Fox one is pretty alright already if I remember correctly but I may be viewing it through 2009 goggles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was hoping to see a few more 50s sci-fi flicks on that list, but Abominable Snowman is going to be a definite purchase. I doubt the original BBC Sunday Night Theater episode it's adapted from survived, but if any material from it is going to emerge, this would be it.

Dracula 79 is also a day-one for me. I'll have to see that Fly set pricing, I don't like double-dipping and really only want the first two flicks.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

RichterIX posted:

I wonder if Big Trouble in Little China is a new transfer. The Fox one is pretty alright already if I remember correctly but I may be viewing it through 2009 goggles.

I bought it the other day and it still looks drat good imo. Kinda feel dumb since this new one is coming out. May have to sell/give away my current one if it's got a nicer transfer

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
One can only hope that Dracula 79 will offer two versions of the film. I'm not a fan of Badham's weird 1991 almost black and white colour scheme.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Steen71 posted:

One can only hope that Dracula 79 will offer two versions of the film. I'm not a fan of Badham's weird 1991 almost black and white colour scheme.

They confirmed it’ll be a 2-disc set, one of the 1991 color timing and another of a fresh transfer of the theatrical color timing.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

They confirmed it’ll be a 2-disc set, one of the 1991 color timing and another of a fresh transfer of the theatrical color timing.

Nice! Thanks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber has a site-wide sale on their Studio Classics line:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com

Lots of great deals.

Also worth noting that they've recently put out or putting out soon a bunch of long-OOP titles formerly with Criterion. Bob le flambeur, Alphaville, Leon Morin, Priest; Le Doulos, and Port of Shadows included. (They also have Last Year at Marienbad and The Milky Way on the main Kino site). All of the titles from new 4K masters by StudioCanal and early reviews indicate they're outstanding quality. In fact, the two titles previously released on Blu by Criterion, Last Year at Marienbad and Leon Morin, Priest are significantly better transfers/masters.

They also have two British Hitchcock films - Blackmail and Murder! finally making their US debut from new 2K restorations from original elements (Blackmail has both the silent and talkie versions restored from the camera negatives), plus Becker's Touchez pas au grisbi, coming out on August 13.

Other highlights are Lost Highway (while not Lynch-approved and bare-bones, a very good master with a maxed-out BD-50), The Wild Heart/Gone to Earth (1950 Powell & Pressburger Technicolor film), They Might be Giants, Dead of Night, Nixon, Becky Sharp (first 3-strip Technicolor feature from a new 4K restoration), Scream and Scream Again, most of the Emannuelle series, all but one of the Hope/Crosby "Road" films (Olive has The Road to Hong Kong), Far from Heaven, 4K-restored For a Few Dollars More (with perfect color!), both seasons of the original The Outer Limits, Kazaam, and It's Pat. Plus a lot of 50s 3-D from 2K/4K restorations by 3-D Film Archive and some rare Paramount silent films.

Almost want to do a Kino thread because they're really doing a marvelous job of getting so many overlooked titles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why does my wallet hurt again?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
poo poo, man. I just bought a bunch of new Shout Factory stuff I was gonna be set for a while...

e: Goddamn, everything I wanted was on deep sale. I just bought a lot of Blu-rays.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 24, 2019

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Criterion does the thing:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1154440404042997761

FILMS IN THIS SET
Godzilla 1954
Godzilla Raids Again 1955
King Kong vs. Godzilla 1963
Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster 1964
Invasion of Astro-Monster 1965
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep 1966
Son of Godzilla 1967
Destroy All Monsters 1968
All Monsters Attack 1969
Godzilla vs. Hedorah 1971
Godzilla vs. Gigan 1972
Godzilla vs. Megalon 1973
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 1974
Terror of Mechagodzilla 1975

Coming soon, available Oct 29, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ringu0 posted:

FILMS IN THIS SET
Godzilla 1954
Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964
Son of Godzilla 1967
All Monsters Attack 1969
Godzilla vs. Gigan 1972

:retrogames:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Once they let Lena Dunham in it was only a matter of time before Jet Jaguar joined her. I'll still buy it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ringu0 posted:

FILMS IN THIS SET
Godzilla 1954
Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964
Son of Godzilla 1967
All Monsters Attack 1969
Godzilla vs. Gigan 1972

So there's a criterion sale in November right? So this comes at a great time to get it on sale.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hell yeah. Thrift store score of the year.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Boinks posted:

Hell yeah. Thrift store score of the year.

wow nice! is that 24 in the corner what you paid?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

gey muckle mowser posted:

wow nice! is that 24 in the corner what you paid?

Yep, I don't think they knew what it was. Has the remote and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boinks posted:

Yep, I don't think they knew what it was. Has the remote and everything.

Good for you! It actually shocks me when things like this still happen today when Google exists