Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's some tie dye I did. Oh how exciting. Pretty simple really ice+ procion dyes+soda ash+shirt= tie dye! Well the first time I didn't add any extra soda ash (sodium carbonate) and just relied on presoaked (water/soda ash) tshirts which I think was a mistake. This is called ice dying and there's plenty tutorials on it online. Oh and when working with powders use a mask and definitely use gloves or you will dye your hands or in the case of soda ash dry them out.

Yielded

Not too bad (this is totally a lie the color bled I'm unsure as to why maybe not enough soda ash) Edit: I think it's because I used dharma fixative without rinsing first.
but I think my second go went better.

Which Drew Carey shirt should I get? https://mrtiedye.myshopify.com/search?q=drew

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Turns out putting dye into squeeze bottles is difficult if I was smarter I'd probably have mixed the water/dye/urea first and put that into the bottle. Hmmm.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You think I'm going to let this wonderful tie dye thread die? I don't think I am. As you can see I should have gone with different shirts as both of the ones I have threads that don't take the dye. It looks weird. Right? Yeah totally looks weird.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 21, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You all better be waiting for your dye/shirt shipment to come. I mean here I am prostituting myself out for this thread by showing my foot and my underwear so the least you can do is buy $100+ worth of stuff (you can do it cheaper of course but I totally wanted more dyes).

Attempt at stripes.
Spiral and something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nice! What purpose does the ice serve?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice! What purpose does the ice serve?

I think it causes variation in the dye causing a mottled appearance my guess is from uneven melting as some of the dye gets more diluted. You can see it better in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EEWdL7etI. If you're not using pure dyes, you might also see some of different colored pigment that make up a product. At least that's the reason I think I got a dark blue to show up on the left shirt. When you mix the dye before hand like I did in the spiral the color is more consistent.

I think my purple has dark blue in it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 22, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I think my purple has dark blue in it.

Is it possible to get a naturally purple dye that isn't made up of blue and red pigments?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it possible to get a naturally purple dye that isn't made up of blue and red pigments?

https://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dharma-fiber-reactive-procion-dyes.html

Grape maybe I'm not super clear on their naming scheme. I mean there are purple pigments https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple so I'd imagine a pure purple dye is possible.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 22, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whelp I was running out of shirts so I ordered more and of course some more dyes because I need all the colors. It's really easy to do, you go like oh this is only 4 bucks? Sure. Oh and this one? And this one? And this one? Ohh how did this order to be so much?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 22, 2019

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Duck and Cover posted:

You all better be waiting for your dye/shirt shipment to come. I mean here I am prostituting myself out for this thread by showing my foot and my underwear so the least you can do is buy $100+ worth of stuff (you can do it cheaper of course but I totally wanted more dyes).

..I may have spent $100 on dyes and silk scarves from Dharma Trading a little over a year ago, when I decided I was going to get really into Shibori dying. I had only done it once before, in college, almost 15 years ago, but dammit that was going to be my new artsy thing!

I made like five sample pieces and didn't really like any of them and haven't touched the stuff since. I don't even know when I put most of the supplies. I think the only items I've really used were the safety glasses and masks I bought off Amazon (in addition to the $100 for dyes and whatnot..) for a totally unrelated construction project. :shobon:

Here are some terrible pics I took of the results:

Eventually, one day, I'll get back into this, but right now it's kinda tough because I have limited space to work in. I dyed these in a plastic tub in the bathroom because it's pretty much the only part of my apartment that isn't carpeted..

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

..I may have spent $100 on dyes and silk scarves from Dharma Trading a little over a year ago, when I decided I was going to get really into Shibori dying. I had only done it once before, in college, almost 15 years ago, but dammit that was going to be my new artsy thing!

I made like five sample pieces and didn't really like any of them and haven't touched the stuff since. I don't even know when I put most of the supplies. I think the only items I've really used were the safety glasses and masks I bought off Amazon (in addition to the $100 for dyes and whatnot..) for a totally unrelated construction project. :shobon:

Here are some terrible pics I took of the results:

Eventually, one day, I'll get back into this, but right now it's kinda tough because I have limited space to work in. I dyed these in a plastic tub in the bathroom because it's pretty much the only part of my apartment that isn't carpeted..

Problem solved.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
..I like your style.

Iminnosynt
Oct 7, 2003
What are you going to do with all this tie dye? Or do you just wear tie dye all day every day?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Iminnosynt posted:

What are you going to do with all this tie dye? Or do you just wear tie dye all day every day?

The first two are going to sit in my dresser until I decide to get rid of them as they turned out poorly. The second group of 2 will be night shirts as they're XL which is too large to really wear in public. The third I'll wear. Really I haven't decided what I'll do if I make too many, maybe just sell them at cost. Maybe wear multiple tie dyes every day.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 22, 2019

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I worked at a tie dye shop in SF a few summers back and from what I was able to gather from the dye shop you can get more precision with your color placement by using syringes to inject die as opposed to the squirt bottles. Then after that it’s all practicing folding and creasing patterns of fabric. Have you ever heard of tessellation origami? That genre would have a lot to offer an aspiring tie dyer. Kinda of want to play with this again but I already have so many tie dyes it’s hard to justify.

Iminnosynt posted:

Rainbow tribe 🌈

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yiggy posted:

I worked at a tie dye shop in SF a few summers back and from what I was able to gather from the dye shop you can get more precision with your color placement by using syringes to inject die as opposed to the squirt bottles. Then after that it’s all practicing folding and creasing patterns of fabric. Have you ever heard of tessellation origami? That genre would have a lot to offer an aspiring tie dyer. Kinda of want to play with this again but I already have so many tie dyes it’s hard to justify.

Rainbow tribe 🌈

Syringes sound like a hassle to use. I did order some sodium alginate to make the dye thicker so it doesn't bleed as much. As far as starting up again it totally isn't hard to justify it's a hobby.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 22, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I stumbled across this thread so I thought I would post an image of some tie dye I made when I was a little kid back around 1972. I just dug it out of a box and I'm surprised the colors are still so vibrant. :corsair:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Does tie dye need to be on t-shirt material because I've been considering tie dyeing the cover on an ikea chair of mine

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Does tie dye need to be on t-shirt material because I've been considering tie dyeing the cover on an ikea chair of mine

Depends, what's it made up of? https://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/all-fabric-dyes-from-dharma-trading-co.html . I'm using procion dyes

quote:

USE ON: All natural Fibers (Cotton, Rayon, Hemp, Linen, Silk, etc.), Wood, Cane, and Rattan

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 24, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was just gonna buy a kiddie kit from Michael's

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I was just gonna buy a kiddie kit from Michael's

I imagine it has a label telling you what it can dye. Notice the threading on most of those shirts? That's because while the shirt is cotton the threads are not. Tulip which seems to be what Micheal carries.

quote:

Check your fabric. Did you use 100% natural fiber fabric like cotton, rayon or silk? Natural/synthetic blends of fabric will dye lighter than natural fabrics, and synthetic fabrics will not dye at all.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 24, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Killingyouguy! posted:

What's the cushion material?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Sometimes I make shibori in a bucket in my backyard. These are my most recent two. The color was supposed to be a sort of dark goldenrod yellow but it turned out peach instead? I'm not really happy with them.

Hand stitched resist--the outline with embroidery floss and the details with thread.

The resist on this one was coins wrapped in string.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stuff came how exciting!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The dyes are in the cleanser. I repeat the dyes are in the cleanser. Don't change the channel! What will happen to the dyes? Will they escape from their watery prison? Stay tuned!

Hi are you boring? Lacking abilities? Well try Abilify today maybe you'll get teleportation! Maybe with your knew found powers you can become The Dyed Ones new sidekick, Tie.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 1, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Narrowly escaping their watery grave the dyes encounter new danger! Stop the spinning STOP THE HEAT.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thanks Tie, I almost lost my shirt there.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

So I'm just going to talk to myself some more. Hey Duck how are you? Fine fine. Good good. Dying and ties? No ties are for conformists I'm totally a rebel! I see. FIGHT THE POWAH! Oh like the anime or like actual change in the world? The anime duh. You do realize you don't have a mech right? Well, I figured I'd just you know find one. Ahh.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My girlfriend does tie dye and wants to teach me? Conversation I guess. Your stuff looks pretty cool.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

So I'm just going to talk to myself some more. Hey Duck how are you? Fine fine. Good good. Dying and ties? No ties are for conformists I'm totally a rebel! I see. FIGHT THE POWAH! Oh like the anime or like actual change in the world? The anime duh. You do realize you don't have a mech right? Well, I figured I'd just you know find one. Ahh.

During the early days of social media the accepted wisdom was that 90% of your users will be consumers, 9% commenters, and 1% producers. So don't worry overmuch if you're leading the tie-dye charge; there's people reading and enjoying your content.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

During the early days of social media the accepted wisdom was that 90% of your users will be consumers, 9% commenters, and 1% producers. So don't worry overmuch if you're leading the tie-dye charge; there's people reading and enjoying your content.

I'm lazy and just bumping the thread instead of going through the hassle of taking pictures.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 4, 2019

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I also dislike taking pictures which is why I haven't posted more of them in this thread.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Would you be willing to write up a bit about the process? Your stuff looks pretty cool!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Would you be willing to write up a bit about the process? Your stuff looks pretty cool!

I could but really it'd pretty much just be a copy and paste of this: https://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/tiedye/tie-dye-instructions.html . Although I will say I think I've got some improvements/comments.

Instead of plastic bags, use small plastic storage containers, it's just easier to get them in their without getting dye on the outside and you can just wash them out. I got a bunch from costco but I don't think they always have them.
I find rubberbands/string to be a hassle to use and bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758BZQB1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I don't know how long these things will last but hopefully awhile. Although you might still want rubberbands/string. I've seen zipties used as well which seems good too.
Washable markers, saw it on a youtube tutorial, get them.
Make sure your surfaces are clean so that you don't end up transferring dye from previous shirts. (I'm terrible at this).
I'm probably going to start planning my shirts on the computer just to get a good idea of placement and colors.
They say to rinse until clear, but I tend to rinse until I'm sick of it and throw it in the wash with something white to catch the color, so that I can get an idea as to how much dye is being rinsed out. Rinse cold, and still tied first. I set the washer to do multiple rinses and run it twice on as hot as your fabric will take (I'm actually going to try a cold wash first followed by a hot). Like I know the hemp cotton blend one I got is a tad bit smaller then I'd like so I ran it warm as opposed to hot in hopes that it'd shrink less.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2019

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i dont wanna look like a stupid hippie ):

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Duck and Cover posted:

Maybe wear multiple tie dyes every day.

Switch them out periodically throughout the day and if anyone says something act like its the same shirt you have been wearing all day.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nooner posted:

i dont wanna look like a stupid hippie ):

Well there's more to the hippie look then just tie dye.

These came out faded which means to me my soda ash/water mixture wasn't concentrated enough, and/or the urea I skipped and didn't bother using when mixing my colors was more important then I realize. Or maybe it's because I washed them on hot I do not know.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Well there's more to the hippie look then just tie dye.

These came out faded which means to me my soda ash/water mixture wasn't concentrated enough, and/or the urea I skipped and didn't bother using when mixing my colors was more important then I realize. Or maybe it's because I washed them on hot I do not know.

I think I'm an idiot and used like half strength dyes. Oopsies that'd probably do it. I could have sworn I saw 1 tbs for 8oz but maybe I in my infinite wisdom thought a cup was 16 ozs for some reason and halfed the recipe or maybe I just forgot either way mystery solved. At least I think that solves the mystery.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

When you were young and your heart
Was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did)
(You know you did)
(You know you did)
But if this ever changin' world
In which we live in
Makes you give in and cry