Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hmm that looks bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Things don't look that bad, yet.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

civilization's too big to fail

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I have an idea.

We can grow potatoes and hunt+gather.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

when the polar cell fails we enter a radically different climate regime that we don't even begin to understand the implications of.

lol if my alarmist views on the first BOE turn out to be 5-6 years late.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
there are going so many weird religious cults that emerge from this

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

when the polar cell fails we enter a radically different climate regime that we don't even begin to understand the implications of.

lol if my alarmist views on the first BOE turn out to be 5-6 years late.

We have a pretty good idea what will happen, though?

We keep getting crazy weather, hotter summers, and polar vortex winters until the jet stream dies. Once that happens, we stop getting as much seasonal variation: toward the equator just stays hot all year, and toward the poles just stays (relatively) cold all year, for a little while anyway, as the global temperature continues to rise. Eventually everywhere is hot. The end, no moral.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Addamere posted:

We have a pretty good idea what will happen, though?

We keep getting crazy weather, hotter summers, and polar vortex winters until the jet stream dies. Once that happens, we stop getting as much seasonal variation: toward the equator just stays hot all year, and toward the poles just stays (relatively) cold all year, for a little while anyway, as the global temperature continues to rise. Eventually everywhere is hot. The end, no moral.

we really don't know how long it transition to an equitable clomate takes , we have very poor guesses for how it impacts a myriad of feedback loops, we have a poor understanding of what exactly the loss of the jet stream entails.

we know, "well it ain't good" and uhhh well, what we don't know it ain't good either

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

we really don't know how long it transition to an equitable clomate takes , we have very poor guesses for how it impacts a myriad of feedback loops, we have a poor understanding of what exactly the loss of the jet stream entails.

we know, "well it ain't good" and uhhh well, what we don't know it ain't good either

We know with reasonable certainty the broad strokes that I just described, because we have geological evidence of previous coolings and warmings. Minutiae such as exactly how long it'll take seem kind of irrelevant to me.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
yeah but we know what happens if number not go up and it ain't pretty, all that shareholder value gone like dust in the wind

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Addamere posted:

We know with reasonable certainty the broad strokes that I just described, because we have geological evidence of previous coolings and warmings. Minutiae such as exactly how long it'll take seem kind of irrelevant to me.

If a BoE is within the next few years then how long it will take is of the utmost loving relevance to me, personally.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

Except the timelines are kind of critical, no? like, 5 years is very different from 25 years in terms of survival and some kind of potential adaptation.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shipon posted:

yeah but we know what happens if number not go up and it ain't pretty, all that shareholder value gone like dust in the wind

Dear, god... no...

tuyop posted:

Except the timelines are kind of critical, no? like, 5 years is very different from 25 years in terms of survival and some kind of potential adaptation.

The polar cell breaking up is apparently supposed to be a 10 to 15 year process, not a virtually instant couple of years and it's gone, so things are gonna be very lmao

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrFlibble posted:

If a BoE is within the next few years then how long it will take is of the utmost loving relevance to me, personally.

tuyop posted:

Why? You can't do anything about it, either way. If you're going to get murdered for your water in 5 years, knowing it today won't change that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Let me put a timeline out for you, if we hit BoE I recommend you cash out everything and do whatever you wanted to do before you die, like, immediately because it'll probably go to hell fast.

Addamere posted:

Why? You can't do anything about it, either way. If you're going to get murdered for your water in 5 years, knowing it today won't change that.

If I know the date of my water-murder I can murder the murderer first for his water, sucker!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

Let me put a timeline out for you, if we hit BoE I recommend you cash out everything and do whatever you wanted to do before you die, like, immediately because it'll probably go to hell fast.

You could get run over by a drunk driver five minutes after reading this post, or give yourself an aneurysm on the shitter after hogging down some fine American cuisine. Live life as and if you can. Who the gently caress has anything to cash out?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When it's time to go to the great goonmeet in the sky, you better be as destitute and thoroughly annihilated as humanly possible.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Addamere posted:

You could get run over by a drunk driver five minutes after reading this post, or give yourself an aneurysm on the shitter after hogging down some fine American cuisine. Live life as and if you can. Who the gently caress has anything to cash out?

There's probably someone somewhere theoretically who has something, I know someone with, like, a retirement. It's not entirely impossible, just functionally impossible!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Cancer posted:

When it's time to go to the great goonmeet in the sky, you better be as destitute and thoroughly annihilated as humanly possible.

With the exception of a few bougie computer touchers, most of us are already there. For the vast majority of humans on this planet, that is the only life they have ever known and will ever know. So what? The end, no moral.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I distinctly recall laughing when that person asked if I was saving for retirement earlier this year.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Colonel Cancer posted:

I am protected.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Addamere posted:

i disagree - 5 years of living in your dream setting and blowing your retirement loving ladies/boys/ladyboys while getting stupid fat on awesome food sounds like better than shooting for that director position if the world's gonna die

i get it, it's a privileged position to have. but i don't wanna die before i've visited tokyo or tried being gay y'know

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

way ahead of you

my current question is how the liftoff of almost the entire sheet from the north American side effects melting from the strong dipole that's developing, but don't actually care enough to ask in the asif cause they some messy bitches

also the answer is no one knows cause it's never happened before, which is the answer to basically any question regarding the Arctic in last decade

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I don't know if I can trust Led Zeppelin after New Orleans survived a couple weeks ago, do we know if heaven has stairs?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I have a 1.3 year old niece :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dream9!bed!! posted:

i disagree - 5 years of living in your dream setting and blowing your retirement loving ladies/boys/ladyboys while getting stupid fat on awesome food sounds like better than shooting for that director position if the world's gonna die

this persistent assumption of yours that everyone else in this thread is as rich as you are is getting real loving obnoxious

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dream9!bed!! posted:

Why not do that now anyway if you can? If you're a bougie gently caress then go live it up. Most of us are not and do not have that option. We will die as we lived: unimportant, broke, and miserable.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I wish I had go live with hot ladyboys until the climate takes us levels of money.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

this persistent assumption of yours that everyone else in this thread is as rich as you are is getting real loving obnoxious

Shima Honnou posted:

I wish I had go live with hot ladyboys until the climate takes us levels of money.

For real dude if you're jonesing to go retire to pattaya or wherever then just go do it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I can't tickets cost more than the $100 I got to my name :(

E: wait I got a $20 in my wallet too is that good enough??

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

I can't tickets cost more than the $100 I got to my name :(

E: wait I got a $20 in my wallet too is that good enough??

was talkin about that other guy, sorry!

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
yeah, i guess y'all are right. it makes me reflect on my values in an uncomfortable way when i think about how i'd act if i felt less inhibited by family and social convention.

all of this still makes me want to act impulsively though

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So after sitting in a roasting helltube on tarmac in the south for nearly an hour, they have announced that the plane is, basically, too hot to take off. Hoisted on my own petard.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yolo

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
just do the bare minimum at work and collect a paycheck and come home and shitpost, we're all hosed anyway so we might as well goof off now

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dream9!bed!! posted:

yeah, i guess y'all are right. it makes me reflect on my values in an uncomfortable way when i think about how i'd act if i felt less inhibited by family and social convention.

all of this still makes me want to act impulsively though

be the person you aspire to be, whether that is a responsible family man or a globetrotting whoremonger or whatever it is that sparks joy and fulfillment in you

do not let the fear of climate change dictate that for you

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MrFlibble posted:

I have a 1.3 year old niece :(

owned

I literally have no more friends because I have told them to their faces that actively trying to have a child is immoral.

These are college educated people, one of which is a doctor, who just literally refuse to investigate reality lol

the next few years are gonna be wild

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crunchy Black posted:

owned

I literally have no more friends because I have told them to their faces that actively trying to have a child is immoral.

These are college educated people, one of which is a doctor, who just literally refuse to investigate reality lol

the next few years are gonna be wild

You have a friend in Marianne Williamson; she loves you, and will heal your heart if you let her.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The ironic detachment from life isn't quite as fun when you're looking at a happy infant and can see the future turning to ash.

But other than that, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my office celebrated one of my co-workers expecting a new baby despite keeping up with climate news, people's brains just turn off when they try to think about this poo poo