Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Helicity posted:

what are the non-linux x systems doing? i cant see theo de raadt going all in on the wayland train to appease the 200 openbsd desktop users

the BSDs will drive X forward

as they once did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the BSDs will drive X forward

as they once did

what a sad thought

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sounds like something a System V apologist would say

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

btw just got my McKusick discs last night, full of tasty UNIX history, including Mach!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
NeWS was junk, so of course nobody ported their apps to it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

an instructive tale:

NeWS was a pretty cool technology but it had an X11 implementation bolted on for legacy apps

result: no one ever ported anything to NeWS

NeWS is now dead and gone and X11 is still with us

But the main toolkits are ALREADY ported to Wayland my dude. A bunch of stuff runs native on Wayland right now. Helps that that doesnt involve having to rewrite everything in PostScript of course, and one reason for that is modern X11 and Wayland are both fundamentally pretty similar - 'give me a shared memory framebuffer, let me draw into it and composit it however you like'. Old X11 and NeWS were much, much more different and also UI toolkits were much more platform dependant which is why people picked one over the other. Whereas now you don't even need to recompile to support both.

Oh yeah, also, Wayland costs nothing and doesn't tie you into a particular hardware vendor.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 20, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thing is though that wayland is a pretty good abstraction to add even if it is used *almost exclusively* through xwayland. one could also use it as a springboard to just modernize x11 (e.g. carry through some finer client separation for security). in such a scenario a lot of the stuff in *weston* (the actual compositor bit doing some more desktop-specific tasks) seems a bit excessive, but then that is a bit finer a point.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

NeWS was junk, so of course nobody ported their apps to it

you shut your filthy mouth I will not have multithreaded PostScript maligned in this way

pram
Jun 10, 2001
quartz is a good compositor. use an os that supports quartz op(s) imho

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

but only the least good and popular operating system uses it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My samba share broke an I'm too stupid to fix it. :thanks:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Nevermind I fixed it. But my network is slow. Long to xfer a TB. Need to replace old rear end poo poo tier switches fml

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

you shut your filthy mouth I will not have multithreaded PostScript maligned in this way

"let's build an OS graphics stack on that universally loved thing: the printer"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

"let's build an OS graphics stack on that universally loved thing: the printer"

postscript kinda was universally beloved, though?

printers were only terrible if you had a home computer. for professionals who could afford postscript printers everything was easy

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
What kind of cartoonishly evil corporation issues a non-Ubuntu non-Fedora linux desktop to hundreds of thousands of drones

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Linux 5.3 Will Surprisingly Support The Newest Keyboard/Trackpads Of Apple MacBooks

still a lot missing though, but if anyone ever gets one of the newer macbooks as a hand me down it's nice to know that the support might get there some day

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

postscript kinda was universally beloved, though?

printers were only terrible if you had a home computer. for professionals who could afford postscript printers everything was easy

nextstep was postscript based until it became osx

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

trying to figure out why the virt-manager spice client is sending caps lock when it's swapped with control in kde. last night i tried vnc and it works but is obviously ugly and it worked in the text console too which makes sense. it looks like this was a big issue like 5 years ago and there's a hack solution where you delete the keymap value from the vm's xml and it "just works" which it didn't. i tried making my own keymap for qemu but im not sure if it's loading it and the values in it didn't seem to match what xev was reporting. ill be back at the stupid pet project coal mine tonight though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

nextstep was postscript based until it became osx

the original nextstations came with what was possibly the cheapest postscript printer available at the time

animist
Aug 28, 2018
none of the Wayland WMs support drawing tablet pen pressure yet and I don't feel like implementing it so I'm sticking with X :colbert:

also lord help me I'm about to install arch

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
I recently upgraded to Debian 10. It made the sound stop working. It took me and hour and a half to figure out how to fix it.

Also, it seems like GNOME 3 only gets worse with age.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

RobobTheGreat posted:

I recently upgraded to Debian 10.

for the love of god, why

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I once used Debian. I'm not reminiscing about the past, that's the total number of times I used that crap.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the first and last time i used debian i ran apt-get to upgrade the packages and it proceeded to delete the kernel and render itself unbootable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

for the love of god, why

i use debian at home out of habit, because change is hard

i am not about to recommend it to others

debian only looks sane when you compare it to ubuntu

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

The_Franz posted:

the first and last time i used debian i ran apt-get to upgrade the packages and it proceeded to delete the kernel and render itself unbootable

It warns you about removing the running kernel so I think the gently caress up here is you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hosed up that people use non-red hat linux for things that supposedly matter

if your poo poo doesn't matter use arch, it's a package manager that doesn't come with a troupe of bearded soviet bureaucracy cosplayers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

It warns you about removing the running kernel so I think the gently caress up here is you

you're right

i hosed up by expecting something related to debian to actually work

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

if your poo poo doesn't matter use arch, it's a package manager that doesn't come with a troupe of bearded soviet bureaucracy cosplayers

actually I think you'll find the bureaucracy is all for the sake of FREEDOM :smuggo:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I wiped my laptop to install gentoo, gave up after 10 hours because lol, and now can't decide what to install. does arch handle steam ok, or is it a pain in the rear end to get working?

I like loving with poo poo, thats why I'm a linux admin, but I don't want to have to just to kill some poo poo in a game

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I wiped my laptop to install gentoo, gave up after 10 hours because lol, and now can't decide what to install. does arch handle steam ok, or is it a pain in the rear end to get working?

I like loving with poo poo, thats why I'm a linux admin, but I don't want to have to just to kill some poo poo in a game

1. install fedora
  2. enable the steam repo in the software center
  3. install steam
  4. use steam

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

RFC2324 posted:

Steam running on Manjaro has been pretty decent

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Games run like poo poo on anything other than Windows. Sorry, thems the breaks. Ive really, reay tried.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RFC2324 posted:

Manjaro has been pretty stable in terms of games for me. Never tried FPSes on it though, those have always been very dicey.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

guess I'll give manjaro a try. It runs great on fedora, but I'm bored of fedora :v:

Smythe posted:

Games run like poo poo on anything other than Windows. Sorry, thems the breaks. Ive really, reay tried.

not my experience, even before valve started fixing poo poo. If you can get them to run, they usually run way better

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah steam runs fine on arch, you just have to enable the multilib repo to install it with pacman since it's 32 bit

animist
Aug 28, 2018
update: i have a working arch install! now to steal some dotfiles to make it pretty

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

animist posted:

update: i have a working arch install! now to steal some dotfiles to make it pretty

Arch is 2018. Run NixOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
today i had to run nvidia-settings to manually reset my display resolution after a video game hosed it up, and i thought of this thread

nvidia is terrible and yet also the dominant choice, how did we get here