Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ElNarez posted:

Epic announced a $30 mil prize pool for the Fortnite World Cup, and Dota fans weren't gonna take such an affront to their brand, so here we are, commodity fetishism rules

Man, the fact that Dota fans took it upon themselves to raise 30 million to preserve the International as the highest-paying tournament while Valve sit on the other 120 million and don't put anything more in themselves is really uh

epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've heard DotA is still actually growing, or at least not shrinking in SEA/CIS/SA, so who knows. :shrug:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

I've heard DotA is still actually growing, or at least not shrinking in SEA/CIS/SA, so who knows. :shrug:

Growing in terms of what, playerbase? Because from everything I've heard from pro players and all the amateurs, there's about twelve Dota teams who are actually able to make a living off of the game despite the TI prize pool being massive, and all teams who can't reliably win a Minor are just out of luck and have to keep playing for nothing until they can pull it off

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man, the fact that Dota fans took it upon themselves to raise 30 million to preserve the International as the highest-paying tournament while Valve sit on the other 120 million and don't put anything more in themselves is really uh

epic

That’s not really what happened.

TI is in Shanghai this year, there’s a lot of Chinese hype for this. The battle pass is offering way more this year and Valve has done more bundles for people to get more chests and what not. It’s just a smarter strategy overall. Everyone in this thread was making GBS threads on the axe without Axe or kid invoker but it’s getting people to pay up for these cosmetics.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd wager most of the battlepass whales have no idea what that Fortnight thing is

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah I'd wager most of the battlepass whales have no idea what that Fortnight thing is

If it came out that the move to China was purely done because Valve thought they would get way more money from Chinese whales I wouldn't be surprised. Also at this point the people who are pushing the battlepass that high are going to spend the money regardless of what the sets are. I think if you just straight-up removed Invoker/Axe from the battlepass rewards the total prize pool would barely change, and also if you added six brand new Arcanas for people who spend 4000$ on the pass it would also not change. At this point people know what they're going to spend on on it before they even see what all the treasures and sets look like.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Are you saying the big unprecedented spike in the prize money is because of the location and not because of the content of the battlepass?

The average people finding more value in battlepass makes them spend more overall and it adds up

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

boredsatellite posted:

Are you saying the big unprecedented spike in the prize money is because of the location and not because of the content of the battlepass?

The average people finding more value in battlepass makes them spend more overall and it adds up

Getting Planetfall is like 200$+, Kid Invoker is like 240$ and Axe is around 300$. I don't know how many people could be persuaded to drop three-hundred dollars they weren't already planning on spending on the game. Even then, I don't think the "average" person is spending that much - I think Valve (like every other mobile game company does) puts the show-off prizes in the 1000-2000 range (Aegis next to your name in-game, the baby roshan) as a way to show off to everyone how much money you spend, and that draws in the whales. Appealing to the people who are going to spend significantly, significantly more than the average player has always been the correct move for microtransactions. And, the evidence points to China being the home of the Dota whales. If you look at the average battlepass level on the Chinese server, it's significantly higher than any other server. I remember one year there was a battlepass level leaderboard, and it was pretty much all Chinese players. Putting your big tournament in the home country of your statistical biggest spenders is very likely a move meant to cause more excitement among Chinese fans and prompt people to spend more

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 22, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Outside of what's already been mentioned, they responded to the summer sale bundle glitch by just letting everyone buy it twice instead of ignoring it like they usually do.

And also there's the factor of their playerbase probably having more disposable income every year as they get raises, promotions, jobs in general, etc.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
TI is in China because KeyArena is under renovation probably more than any sort of battle pass thing. It's cool that it's there because China is probably the most influential region in terms of Dota history although it will personally suck to watch games in that time zone.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

Outside of what's already been mentioned, they responded to the summer sale bundle glitch by just letting everyone buy it twice instead of ignoring it like they usually do.

And also there's the factor of their playerbase probably having more disposable income every year as they get raises, promotions, jobs in general, etc.

Yeah this all makes sense, but my point is that I don't think someone who wasn't planning on spending more than the base cost of the battlepass is going to see a certain cosmetic set they like and instead spend 300$. And this isn't a "I don't think anyone could possibly like these sets" thing, I just don't think any cosmetics are going to prompt that big of a spending difference in someone, and if they spend that much they were probably going to spend that much regardless of what the set was. I think people go into the Battlepass with a pretty well-established idea of what they're going to spend before it's even announced

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

TI is in China because KeyArena is under renovation probably more than any sort of battle pass thing. It's cool that it's there because China is probably the most influential region in terms of Dota history although it will personally suck to watch games in that time zone.

I am looking forward to games finishing at approx 4pm uk time

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I am looking forward to uh watching vods

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm taking all of TI off of work so I can watch live because I have to defend my top poster crown my brain is broken

also because I'm almost at my vacation cap but it's more fun if we ignore that part

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I was planning saving the rest of my vacation time for Christmas but I'm being promoted from a contractor to an actual employee in october and I have to have my vacations before that so I figured I might as well do it during TI

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heh, I'll be using all my vacation time lifting in the gym while you nerds watch a video game

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah this all makes sense, but my point is that I don't think someone who wasn't planning on spending more than the base cost of the battlepass is going to see a certain cosmetic set they like and instead spend 300$. And this isn't a "I don't think anyone could possibly like these sets" thing, I just don't think any cosmetics are going to prompt that big of a spending difference in someone, and if they spend that much they were probably going to spend that much regardless of what the set was. I think people go into the Battlepass with a pretty well-established idea of what they're going to spend before it's even announced

Well you would be wrong.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Getting Planetfall is like 200$+, Kid Invoker is like 240$ and Axe is around 300$. I don't know how many people could be persuaded to drop three-hundred dollars they weren't already planning on spending on the game. Even then, I don't think the "average" person is spending that much - I think Valve (like every other mobile game company does) puts the show-off prizes in the 1000-2000 range (Aegis next to your name in-game, the baby roshan) as a way to show off to everyone how much money you spend, and that draws in the whales. Appealing to the people who are going to spend significantly, significantly more than the average player has always been the correct move for microtransactions. And, the evidence points to China being the home of the Dota whales. If you look at the average battlepass level on the Chinese server, it's significantly higher than any other server. I remember one year there was a battlepass level leaderboard, and it was pretty much all Chinese players. Putting your big tournament in the home country of your statistical biggest spenders is very likely a move meant to cause more excitement among Chinese fans and prompt people to spend more

The point is there was no real merit of spending that much money before while now there's a stronger motivation with arcanas that are spread out. Sure axe is kinda out of reach for most people but there are tiny, earthshaker, invoker stuff to grab.

Like the graph this year is insane, you have to have seen the drastic jump of it right?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

epic

just lmao if you unironically believe this

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Every oopsy Axe diaper you buy means Gaben now owns 3-15 more BUDK knives

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Speaking of Axe

https://twitter.com/SirActionSlacks/status/1152999090352840704

Also I just checked the perks page and AA is "on hold"

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 22, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Both "China is spending more on the BP for their TI" and "Dota fans are hungry little piggies at the hat trough" can be true at once

Btw there's this page that shows BPs vs prize pool and the level distribution https://dota.rgp.io/battlepass/. It says being level 425 (axe) or higher is 78th percentile

Not sure if that 1.8 million is the exact number of BP owners or if that's a sample/how this guy gets his info though

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I know a couple of people who weren't going to buy the big time limited bundle but when it was announced that some people had bought two and they were going to let everyone else do that too, they then went and bought two of the drat things because "special offers" are really hard to resist for some people.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

Every oopsy Axe diaper you buy means Gaben now owns 3-15 more BUDK knives

I think he times the TI build up to match their summer sale.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

emdash posted:

Both "China is spending more on the BP for their TI" and "Dota fans are hungry little piggies at the hat trough" can be true at once

Btw there's this page that shows BPs vs prize pool and the level distribution https://dota.rgp.io/battlepass/. It says being level 425 (axe) or higher is 78th percentile

Not sure if that 1.8 million is the exact number of BP owners or if that's a sample/how this guy gets his info though

Good lord that battlepass leaderboard. Isn't that Sweetheart guy the dude who's a couple generations down from the throne in the house of Saud?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Supposedly yeah

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

BabelFish posted:

Good lord that battlepass leaderboard. Isn't that Sweetheart guy the dude who's a couple generations down from the throne in the house of Saud?

Yeah he's up at the top every year. But otherwise, like I said, it's China all the way down. This has been common knowledge for years.

40th percentile has a huge spike at level 100, which is the highest level you could buy without more levels. Invoker set is 68 percentile, and like emdash said Axe is like 80 percentile. So only 30/20% of people are getting these sets, so I think that definitely dispels the idea that the average person is getting these sets. All the huge spikes are in correlation with the treasure releases, which are much more reasonably attainable because you only have to spend like 10$ more to get a new set of chests, which is how impulse shopping works. 200$ isn't an impulse buy. For example:

EthanSteele posted:

I know a couple of people who weren't going to buy the big time limited bundle but when it was announced that some people had bought two and they were going to let everyone else do that too, they then went and bought two of the drat things because "special offers" are really hard to resist for some people.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I always just buy the big level start and the limited bundle and I very nearly almost bought a second one when the option was there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dota Summit 10 starts tomorrow morning!

Schedule according to reddit (because liquipedia isn't updated right now)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm cheering for team no logo.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Summit is the biggest victim of TI being hosted in China this year :'(

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I'm... rooting for Serenity???

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
are they resuming bot TI during the summit or do we have to wait until ti group stages

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/newbeecn/status/1154201903015686144

yee

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
neat!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

We fuckin stan

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

What about my boy Sccc

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think the implication is that they're just sponsoring ex-forward for TI because the actual newbee roster didn't make it.

I'd be shocked if they're still with newbee after TI

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that is so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I think the implication is that they're just sponsoring ex-forward for TI because the actual newbee roster didn't make it.

I'd be shocked if they're still with newbee after TI

What if they win ti