Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

holy gently caress all these terrible tv shows :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

This is 50% correct.

You're right, Prometheus is great.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Really though, The Leftovers is easily one of the greatest works of television ever produced.

It's been a couple of years since I've seen it and I still think about it and get insanely depressed all over again, haven't been hit that hard emotionally with a tv show since Six Feet Under.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You're right, Prometheus is great.

Prometheus and half of Lost.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skip this overserious adaptation of a funny movie and watch the director's latest film, Parasite. It's the bee's knees.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Skip this overserious adaptation of a funny movie and watch the director's latest film, Parasite. It's the bee's knees.

Gotta wait until October in America :(

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
That looks so similar to the Korean Snowpiercer that they should just buy the broadcast rights to that and show it a thousand times, like a cable channel would do in the good old days

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Orphan Black was a pretty ridiculous show full of very blunt metaphors and while Snowpiercer was funny, its humor was rooted in just being earnest in its insanity as well as being willing to humiliate its main character.

The show has different characters and Jennifer Connelly's character, in particular, has a very different vantage point from our PoV characters in the film. There's no reason to dismiss it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Witcher trailer looks like people whispering in palaces low-rent fantasy junk, Snowpiercer is at least interesting conceptually.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eesh. This is a pretty lackluster trailer imo for something I would want to see:

https://youtu.be/deAtHeQDr4Y

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samovar posted:

Eesh. This is a pretty lackluster trailer imo for something I would want to see:

This looks like Simple Jack.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How to embed via mobile app:

Copy the URL

Press and Hold

Select Video

Select Paste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLEPhfEN2M

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Looks fine. I'm not so jaded that I'm going to slam a movie about Mister Rogers for being wholesome and sweet (and obvious Oscar bait). I liked Stan & Ollie and that was a very low-drama nice story about nice people.

I dunno if I wanted the movie to have this reporter main character as an audience stand-in, though. I guess they didn't want to go with the approach of having Mister Rogers be the real lead. Also, Tom Hanks is playing "gentle-voiced Tom Hanks," it's quite a stretch to have the actor disappear into a perfect Fred Rogers. Reminds me of Michael Fassbender in Jobs where they weren't trying to find an exact lookalike.

EDIT: This reminded me that Drunk History had done a segment on Mister Rogers using Colin Hanks for the role, which is pretty funny:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/zg100s/drunk-history-mr--rogers-s-beautiful-life

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 22, 2019

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Samovar posted:

The problem is that Won't You Be My Neighbor exists and looks better than this. Tom Hanks is also doing like half of a Fred Rogers impression, which adds to the eh factor.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Samovar posted:

Came here to post this, felt the exact same way.

1. The journalist reminds me of that David Foster Wallace movie, The End of the Tour. I think it's a cop-out as a screenwriter. You can't write convincingly about someone who was larger than life, so you had to insert some observer character (maybe an actual person, sure) to tell audiences what they should be feeling.

2. That scene on the subway was pretty cringe-worthy.

3. Hanks's impression seem off, but he's Tom Hanks so I'm more inclined to blame the trailer than to blame him at this point.

4. It's just a pretty poorly cut trailer all around.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I agree with all your points, but in semi-defense of point 2 that poo poo happened to Fred Rogers in public all the time.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mr Rogers movie posted:

"You love broken people -- like me"
:golfclap:
:homebrew:

unbelievable...how do they think of this stuff!??

e: and tom hanks look in reply says it all, simply moving

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 22, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just see Tom Hanks in that trailer. I dunno if that would fade after a while watching a full movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

unbelievable...how do they think of this stuff!??

e: and tom hanks look in reply says it all, simply moving

All movies are Simple Jack now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if I wanted the movie to have this reporter main character as an audience stand-in, though. I guess they didn't want to go with the approach of having Mister Rogers be the real lead.

It looks like it's a chapter-for-chapter adaptation of that long article about Mr Rogers that came out a few years ago which covered pretty much everything we saw in the trailer (the singing in the subway, Mr Rogers doing laps in a pool, etc etc)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GrandpaPants posted:

The problem is that Won't You Be My Neighbor exists and looks better than this. Tom Hanks is also doing like half of a Fred Rogers impression, which adds to the eh factor.
Yeah for some reason Hanks is doing this weird Southern accent when Rogers had this really heavy Pittsburghese accent

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Still waiting for the grindhouse film about Mr. Rogers time in 'Nam.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Samovar posted:

He looks more like Bill O'Reilly than Fred Rogers

Either way, I'm not really ready for a Mr. Rogers biopic, as Won't You Be My Neighbor is incredible and should be watched over whatever the hell this is.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It looks like it's a chapter-for-chapter adaptation of that long article about Mr Rogers that came out a few years ago which covered pretty much everything we saw in the trailer (the singing in the subway, Mr Rogers doing laps in a pool, etc etc)

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27134/can-you-say-hero-esq1198/

I think you're right. That's pretty lame actually. At least we got the good Mr Rogers doc already so I'll just rewatch that instead.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I like how Tom Hanks can't decide whether or not Fred Rogers pronounces his 'r's (he did) within the span of a single song.

But, yeah, this sucks. If you want to see Mr. Rogers treat people with a deep sense of human decency and compassion there's hundreds of hours of footage available of the man himself, and even America's dad comes off as less warm and kindly than the original, so what's the point?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Mr Rogers biopic should just be a drama that provides context for and culminates in that senate hearing because gently caress me just thinking about that hearing gives me the goosebumps and is the perfect encapsulation of his gentle badassery. Like it was straight out of a Frank Capra movie.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

[pedantic]
Hey everyone, I just want to say it's Mister Rogers, not Mr. Rogers, okay?
[/pedantic]

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
We're talking about the man, not the television show. If you weren't aware, Mr. is the preferred abbreviation of Mister in modern English.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

How to embed via mobile app:

Copy the URL

Press and Hold

Select Video

Select Paste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLEPhfEN2M

Severely miscast. Horrendously miscast.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ariza posted:

We're talking about the man, not the television show. If you weren't aware, Mr. is the preferred abbreviation of Mister in modern English.

Please, don't fight

Not over this

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Severely miscast. Horrendously miscast.

i don't think it's miscast, i think it's just a fundamental failure to understand that this will not make a good movie no matter who is making it.

i'll echo everyone else by saying that the documentary is amazing. I started watching it one night just kinda randomly because it was on public television and me and my mom watched the whole thing on our kitchen TV, it was captivating.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hanks sounds terrible, which is one of the most important parts of the role, but he also seems really loving stilted and robotic in his body language depicting this man. It's awkward as hell.

It's bad casting. It looks bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I did not grow up with Mr. Rogers and have never actually seen the show, but just from seeing clips and interviews I can tell there was a sense of warmth and earnestness in Mr. Rogers' body language that isn't even remotely present here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bogus Adventure posted:

Either way, I'm not really ready for a Mr. Rogers biopic, as Won't You Be My Neighbor is incredible and should be watched over whatever the hell this is.
Yeah, it's like I already saw/cried over that one last year and it was one of my favorite movies of the year, so why would I need this?

I guess this is for the crowd who has a bizarre aversion to watching documentaries.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, it's like I already saw/cried over that one last year and it was one of my favorite movies of the year, so why would I need this?

I guess this is for the crowd who has a bizarre aversion to watching documentaries.

Or maybe it's for Tom Hanks to stroke his ego.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a guy who rather famously has a small ego for how big a star he is. Sometimes films just don't work out the way you expect.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I'll watch anything by Marielle Heller after Can You Ever Forgive Me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whatever actual performance Hanks brings seems secondary to the trust and affection audiences have towards him as a person. You want someone spotless to portray a kind of modern day saint.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know how much I like "MIIKE HAS STILL GOT IT" as a pull quote because who said he didn't? But otherwise, this looks great.

https://youtu.be/FnriSpm4ZBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Embed trailer links, please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnriSpm4ZBE