Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Declan MacManus posted:

ohhhhhh yikes also how can boston have so many loving awful radio people

i doubt weei did it because he sucks; i imagine it's either a contract dispute or an internal harassment thing

Nah, it's rating's based to go with the controversey, they had another right winger, Kirk Minihane, depart a few months ago, and they dropped to sixth in the 25-54 rating books.

This was the Callahna thing (with old Co-host John Dennis, from 2003)
On September 29, 2003, during a segment called 'headlines', where they read and comment about current news stories, Callahan and his morning co-host John Dennis made racist remarks while discussing a story about an escaped gorilla.[2] The gorilla had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo and had been recaptured at a bus stop. According to newspaper articles, the exchange allegedly was:[3]

Callahan: "They caught him at a bus stop, right -- he was like waiting to catch a bus out of town."
Dennis: "Yeah, yeah -- he's a METCO gorilla."
Callahan: "Heading out to Lexington."
Dennis: "Exactly."
METCO is a state program that buses inner-city Boston students to nearby suburban schools. The racist comments compared poor, mostly African-American children to gorillas. WEEI general manager Tom Baker suspended both hosts for two days, then extended the suspension to two weeks after the Blue Cross-Blue Shield (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts) pulled $27,000 in ads and in turn donated that money to METCO. Dunkin' Donuts responded by ceasing all advertising that involved the voices of John Dennis or Gerry Callahan.[4] Both hosts apologized and were sent to sensitivity training. WEEI also agreed to provide free advertising for the METCO program on the radio station. In November 2003, WEEI General Manager Tom Baker was replaced by Julie Kahn. Station executives denied there was a connection between the METCO incident and Baker's replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1151561485446873089

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dan's spitting fire at the culture of complicity at ESPN

https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/1151943048101814273

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

having the camera just linger on Billy looking obliviously in the penalty box is amazing.

pair this with a podcast interview with Billy Ray Cyrus who just wanted to talk about Pete Rose and you got the good poo poo right there

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Dan's spitting fire at the culture of complicity at ESPN

https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/1151943048101814273

loving well said. ESPN will most likely do nothing because if they suspend him he'll just go full blown scorched earth.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Trying to discipline him for making a point he is 100% right about would be a terrible look for ESPN, which I'm guessing Dan calculated in when he said that. At worst I'm guessing he gets yelled at by some sack of poo poo in a suit behind closed doors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dan is one of three people who could get away with that who are currently at ESPN. Stephen A. and Bomani are the other two. I'm sure Bob Ley could get away with it but he's retired :smith:.

(Bob Ley's retirement is 100% deserved though, he earned that poo poo)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Dan is one of three people who could get away with that who are currently at ESPN. Stephen A. and Bomani are the other two. I'm sure Bob Ley could get away with it but he's retired :smith:.

Bomani could make that statement but It would be a bit more measured. From listening to The Right Time and The Evening Jones forever, he’s gotten very careful about these topics in public. He’s also on the upward curve so doesn’t want to gently caress his money up, whereas I’m guessing if LeBatard got fired he’d bring the Shipping Container to do that as a local show/podcast and be fine, and get somebody else to pay for it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Honestly it would rule if, like, Woj got on his twitter and starting ripping on Trump. Not that it'll happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Bob Ley is also a republican though so probs not.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

hcreight posted:

Honestly it would rule if, like, Woj got on his twitter and starting ripping on Trump. Not that it'll happen.
His rant about the horrors going on in the migrant concentration camps is immediately followed with "Oh, so you fuckers only cared about my immigration news when it involved Kawhi Leonard."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

He strikes me as a Never Trump, Kasich protest vote type guy but I could be wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

I'm not saying he'd make the statement (which pretty much sounds like he wouldn't), but I'm more saying he could make a statement like that and not get in hot water.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

on one hand, this seemed like the kind of thing that would set up a planned vacation anyway

on the other hand

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1152231069091094529

e:

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1152232625513406465

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 19, 2019

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Le Batard has done this before where he says something he knows might get him in trouble right before a scheduled vacation then pretends he's missing work due to drama. he then comes back and does 2 hours on whether basketball would be better if everyone had hands for feet. it's a pretty good bit imo

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1153290961176485890

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He doesn’t get the show

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I guess speaking out against racism is always inherently political when racist people are in power but as many others have mentioned explicitly not allowing people to speak out against said racism is equally political. As Lebatard said, a refusal to allow even the briefest mention of this stuff (a 90 second rant on a show that's 4 hours long and routinely talks to a zoo keeper, Kenny G, and Oj's former lawyer) is basically a tacit expression that things are okay and do not require change. I know I'm preaching to the choir but the "stick to sports" bullshit I see other places is at best an expression of privilege and at worst is an affirmation of Trumpist rhetoric/policies.

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 22, 2019

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah. I get that some people want to use sports as an escape from how hosed everything is but it just can’t be that any more, not when the president is injecting himself into sports to throw meat to his bumblefuck base

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Yeah. I get that some people want to use sports as an escape from how hosed everything is but it just can’t be that any more, not when the president is injecting himself into sports to throw meat to his bumblefuck base

Those people need to realize that there is inherent political implications in everything we say and do.

When someone says "stick to (whatever that person does)", what's really being said is "don't make me think about my actions ".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Those people need to realize that there is inherent political implications in everything we say and do.

When someone says "stick to (whatever that person does)", what's really being said is "don't make me think about my actions ".

My favorite response is "So because they're X, they're not supposed to have political opinions?"

(Alternately: "What if they said something you personally agree with that was political, would you be saying the same thing?")

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The stick to sports stuff is even more bullshit when you consider ESPN keeps on rewarding (new contracts, more platforms) them for not talking about sports. The day before this "rant " they had a journalist come on and talk about R. Kelly's sex crimes, interviewed Jeff Pasan doing an Elmo voice and interviewed the mayor of Fort Wayne Indiana about who got the key to the fort. What makes the show successful and profitable is that they don't talk about sports so saying the one issue in society and culture they can't touch is the pissbaby president is hosed.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I’m sure this is all tied to subscription numbers or whatever but the show didnt get as popular as it has by “sticking to sports”

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, my personal favorite response to people whining about X, and this is super fun to say to chuds: "If you don't like it, leave".

The rage that ensues great because now their favorite line is now being turned on them.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1153646422803275777

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey guys, Mark Sanchez retired!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Onrait went right back at Broussard

quote:

“Dear Chris Broussard,”

“Hey buddy! Heard what you said about me calling you a fraud, and you’re right, I’m not perfect. I literally started the dumbest sports media feud in history. I guess all I can say is ‘That clapback took you two weeks? Who are you, George Costanza?’ You know what else you could have been doing the past two weeks? NBA reporting! I mean, come on, man, I put it on a tee for you! NBA free agency was happening, break a few trades, announce a few signings, put me in my place. It did not happen. You literally proved me right.”

“While you were Googling my name, coming up with killer double-A ball jokes, Woj, Shams, Haynes, and pretty much everyone was actually getting scoops! I mean, they still would have gotten those scoops, but wouldn’t you want to at least make an effort? Chris, at this point, if you actually had legitimate news and tweeted it out, would anyone believe you, or would they wait for that Woj or Shams tweet to confirm it? I think we both know the answer.”

“I mean, what does it say about you that the only news you made during the entire NBA free agent process was getting called out on your bullshit by a foreign sports anchor? You’re certainly qualified; you listed about a dozen reputable places you used to work for. But the cherry on top was comparing yourself to Damian Lillard. Damian Lillard! Which I agree with, because when you tweeted that the Clippers were out of the Kawhi sweepstakes and two days later, Kawhi agreed to sign with the Clippers, that was like watching Dame himself take the three-pointer to beat the Thunder in Game 5.”

“Ah, we’ve had some fun. I sincerely apologize for even mentioning you, Chris. This is literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever been a part of in this business, and I wrote two best-selling books about making GBS threads my pants. Maybe we should look on the bright side. In the summer of 2019, for three days, you and I entertained the 13 or 14 people in our business who are not on vacation.”

“Feel free to clap back again and again. Like the rest of the sports world, I won’t be listening to you. But if you are going to call more Canadians soft on the next Pusha-C diss track, here are some for you. Joni Mitchell. Neil Young. And of course, Anne Murray, who has it coming. The list is endless. Just use your Google machine.”

“I wish you the best of luck, Chris. Talk to you again in 10 years when we are interviewed for the oral history of the dumbest feud in sports media history. Peace.”

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Jay Onrait has always kicked rear end

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That is a complete destruction

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
To paraphrase Roddy Piper, Chris Broussard might want to stop throwing rocks at a man with a machine gun

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Hey, leave Anne Murray out of this. She's an international treasure.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Former Time Warner Cable people, we now get the NFL Network app to stream!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/benjstrauss/status/1154103851458412544

Lmao if ESPN does something dumb

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN's not dumping lebatard.

also the Pirates broadcasters got lovely again because an opponent tried to play baseball in the 4th inning

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
[BAYLESS Nods]

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1154366784579018752?s=19

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Comrade

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 25, 2019

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm going to go with ESPN doing something stupid.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Trast posted:

I'm going to go with ESPN doing something stupid.

Same. It's in their blood to do the dumbest thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oh you want me to actually explain my oblique reference to the second most famous Stephen A Smith parody tweet???? Wow