Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

goatcry.pt

We etch your passwords onto a ring, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Potato Salad posted:

goatcry.pt

I think your system might have a gaping security hole

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Potato Salad posted:

goatcry.pt

an impressive application of steganography. now I have all the more reason to study this picture in detail

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

goatcry.pt

we perform a special kind of key stretching

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone at Microsoft just published something or other last week about password authentication in Azure and declared that their hashes were all stored as thousand-round SHA256.

On the other hand, AD still uses NT hashes (md4) and we don't hear that much about people extracting those at rest - though nobody owns up to corporate breaches on the attacking or defending sides.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Azure AD provides a bunch of really good account protections but they all require like P1s or higher which is kind of bullshit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-breach-fsb-contractor-expose-tor-deanonymization-project/ :nsa:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

its good that other agencies are relearning how to burn competitors publicly

good of zdnet to translate the bbc russia article and drop half of the information

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

uplink was a documentary

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this means they didn’t sign the binaries, right?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/pale-moon-says-hackers-added-malware-to-older-browser-versions/

(lol pale moon)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i can't imagine any significant number of people actually ever downloaded the compromised old versions

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Plorkyeran posted:

i can't imagine any significant number of people actually ever downloaded a forked version of firefox 38

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
according to wikipedia (i had to look it up, never heard of it) there are two separate forks of this firefox fork that make it run on windows xp. starting in 2017 :psyduck:

I think it is a given that people who use this browser make bad decisions and love using obsolete software

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

I think it is a given that people who use this browser make bad decisions and love using obsolete software

wonder how many yosposters use it

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
fairly certain every dev and user of the “pale moon” browser is on a fbi raid list. they probably installed the malware

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

James Baud posted:

Someone at Microsoft just published something or other last week about password authentication in Azure and declared that their hashes were all stored as thousand-round SHA256.

On the other hand, AD still uses NT hashes (md4) and we don't hear that much about people extracting those at rest - though nobody owns up to corporate breaches on the attacking or defending sides.

ntlm is "good enough" despite md4, the real killer are the amount of places you can intercept a LM hash. Those were still on by default up until 2008 on disk and were being generated in-memory up through one of the most recent Win10 builds, the latter problem you cannot fix with a GPO

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ntlm is "good enough" despite md4, the real killer are the amount of places you can intercept a LM hash. Those were still on by default up until 2008 on disk and were being generated in-memory up through one of the most recent Win10 builds, the latter problem you cannot fix with a GPO

I'm the evil sec admin that forces 15 character passwords

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ewiley posted:

You can do password requirement targeting for specific groups now. You should absolutely be doing this for DA credentials, but if you do it globally you are a dick. It also drives up the pain point of people using DA creds for everything when they should be running a non-admin account for normal stuff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I paid my stupid isc dues, have the invoice, they're claiming I didn't pay and now want 50% more, though they are gracefully waving the $600 reinstatement fee. If you try to use their phone tree for support, the "press 2 for billing inquiries" does absolutely nothing and disconnects your call. loving clown show.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ewiley posted:

why not just eight characters but you have to change it every two weeks?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i enforce 32 character minimum passwords on all our poo poo and everyone hates it but gently caress 'em

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Boiled Water posted:

why not just eight characters but you have to change it every two weeks?

15+ characters means it won't be converted to weak LM hashes anywhere, because LM splits the password into two 7 char blocks and hashes each piece individually

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
passwordpasswordpasswordpassword

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i enforce 32 character minimum passwords on all our poo poo and everyone hates it but gently caress 'em

I guess your peers haven't learned about password managers by TYOOL 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how do you use a password manager to log in to your desktop?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

oh we enforce it (we have 1password teams subscription) but still they get frustrated for whatever reason.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Potato Salad posted:

"lol storing all my passwords in one place to get breached"

k look here you poo poo, I'm in your office because you phoned a tech support number you saw in a popup, if I had my way you wouldn't have a computer at all

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
our company is small enough that poo poo like that doesn't happen. everyone is afraid of the horrible berating they would take from me if there's even the slightest hint of a security issue.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

our company is small enough that poo poo like that doesn't happen. everyone is afraid of the horrible berating they would take from me if there's even the slightest hint of a security issue.

hmm yes, making everyone afraid of being caught making a mistake sounds great for security

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, you gotta be the cool dad/mom security person

just sit 'em down and make sure they know they can come to you with anything, no matter what, you know?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I usually take that approach but the guy who tried to open horse_fucks_girl.exe on the lunchroom computer can go straight to hell

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

infernal machines posted:

how do you use a password manager to log in to your desktop?
public rdp

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

just sit 'em down and make sure they know they can come to you with anything, no matter what, you know?

you need a chill-sec person and a security kraken. follow the chill-sec advice and you won’t attract the worm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I usually take that approach but the guy who tried to open horse_fucks_girl.exe on the lunchroom computer can go straight to hell

to be honest that sounds like more of an hr issue at that point

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we have no HR dept at my company.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

to be honest that sounds like more of an hr issue at that point

lol yeah I refused to confront him. they were anonymous login thin clients so I learned his jackin pattern (10:30-11am) and watched the logs for some gross poo poo coming in and called the hr lady to make her deal with it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we have no HR dept at my company.

if you don’t have an HR dept, the CEO is the HR dept

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

if you don’t have an HR dept, the CEO is the HR dept

we have no hr department and 3000 employees

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's nice to make friends but it's not mandatory so follow the rules please

Also attend my briefings, they're good (and mandatory)

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

can I turn my chair around when we 'get real'?