Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yup, still getting after it. But yeah... It was not very good below 12k. So many sun cups......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Yup, still getting after it. But yeah... It was not very good below 12k. So many sun cups......

You never fail to remind me what a lazy rear end I am

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

You never fail to remind me what a lazy rear end I am

Well, definitely not my intention.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Well, definitely not my intention.

tbf waking up reminds me what a lazy rear end I am.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wistful of Dollars posted:

tbf waking up reminds me what a lazy rear end I am.

Seconding this for myself.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

high quality content spwrozek!

I'm headed to Mammoth tomorrow for one last hurrah. Wish I'd had more time to ski this spring.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got 7 days of training on the glacier in June before straddling a gate, nailing the next one, crashing hard on my rib and deciding "nah" on the last day.

Now I'm skiing in November. Hopefully still part of the FIS program, but we'll see.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Someone in this thread turned me on to Panda Poles, and I absolutely love mine. I just received an email that they will no longer be taking online orders starting July 25th, so if you want some, now is the time to order them.

https://www.pandapoles.com/

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I use https://www.grasssticks.com/ which are a similar idea.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Decided to stay at home and grill instead of fighting the crowds today.

https://youtu.be/M11SvDtPBhA

Dox, you make it?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My sister went yesterday and said it was a very solid party. I would have gone too but I'm in Columbus for work, which is in my opinion suboptimal

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018
Any tips for snowshoeing in this thread? I've gone once before and had a good time, I'm thinking of investing in a pair of snowshoes for the upcoming season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CollectivePass/status/1151596193962778626

Looks like they're gonna just barely miss getting to August

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vail getting more Vail....

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-adds-17-ski-areas-to-its-portfolio-with-acquisition-of-peak-resorts/

The resorts include:

Mount Snow in Vermont

Hunter Mountain in New York

Attitash Mountain Resort, Wildcat Mountain and Crotched Mountain in New Hampshire

Liberty Mountain Resort, Roundtop Mountain Resort, Whitetail Resort, Jack Frost and Big Boulder in Pennsylvania

Alpine Valley, Boston Mills, Brandywine and Mad River Mountain in Ohio

Hidden Valley and Snow Creek in Missouri

Paoli Peaks in Indiana

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well drat I can't wait to go skiing in Missouri and Indiana.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

You should see Boston Mills and Brandywine. So many runs, major elevation, world class facilities.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HookShot posted:

What you really can't wait for is all the DC people who buy it as a season pass for their area resorts (Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail) and come and hang out at Whistler for their annual week out west skiing.

This might wind up being me tbh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol I learned to board at Snow Creek in Missouri, it can not be overstated how lovely it is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Gonna be honest, I didn't even realize they had downhill skiing in Missouri

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think the big hitter is getting mount snow and all of DC and Philly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kalman posted:

What you really can't wait for is all the DC people who buy it as a season pass for their area resorts (Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail) and come and hang out at Whistler for their annual week out west skiing.

This might wind up being me tbh.

Don't come to Whistler, and I don't mean that because there are too many people here (there are), I'd much rather have someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing instead of the idiots who can't get on the gondola properly, but we're honestly so far above capacity that it has been ruining the experience for a lot of people who come up.

Unless you like waiting in gridlocked traffic for two hours on the only road in and out of town, waiting hours for service anywhere because every business in town is short-staffed, paying hundreds of dollars a night for a lovely hotel and then riding completely packed runs on a mountain that's getting so hosed by climate change there's a decent chance it'll rain on you at some point.

But yeah that will 100% happen and it will suck even more, but from what I'm hearing word is getting out to a lot of epic pass holders that Whistler sucks now and there are better options. I love living here, but I would absolutely not come here for my weekly western skiing holiday. There are waayyyyyy better options out there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Gonna be honest, I didn't even realize they had downhill skiing in Missouri

It's more of an ice hill

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the brown run from the groomer going over the giant patch of dirt and then continuing down the hill.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HookShot posted:

Don't come to Whistler, and I don't mean that because there are too many people here (there are), I'd much rather have someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing instead of the idiots who can't get on the gondola properly, but we're honestly so far above capacity that it has been ruining the experience for a lot of people who come up.

Unless you like waiting in gridlocked traffic for two hours on the only road in and out of town, waiting hours for service anywhere because every business in town is short-staffed, paying hundreds of dollars a night for a lovely hotel and then riding completely packed runs on a mountain that's getting so hosed by climate change there's a decent chance it'll rain on you at some point.

But yeah that will 100% happen and it will suck even more, but from what I'm hearing word is getting out to a lot of epic pass holders that Whistler sucks now and there are better options. I love living here, but I would absolutely not come here for my weekly western skiing holiday. There are waayyyyyy better options out there.

Yeah, that was sarcasm re: me. If I do wind up buying a pass, Whistler won't be the destination - I went to Whistler for a week pre-Vail days, it was fun, and (especially having read your posts) I feel literally no need to go back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kalman posted:

Yeah, that was sarcasm re: me. If I do wind up buying a pass, Whistler won't be the destination - I went to Whistler for a week pre-Vail days, it was fun, and (especially having read your posts) I feel literally no need to go back.

Yeah, cool. Whistler was super cool and good pre-Vail, but it's definitely gone way downhill since they took over.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

spwrozek posted:

I think the big hitter is getting mount snow and all of DC and Philly.

Mount Snow is already an overly crowded shitshow every time I go there, maybe this will decrease traffic? I doubt any attendance changes at JFBB, hopefully day ticket prices aren't jacked way up though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The acquisition of Peak is not as destinations but as feeders to rope those guys into the Epic system and make them all buy Epic seasons passes. Then all those guys will get dumped into Colorado and BC. So enjoy!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

The acquisition of Peak is not as destinations but as feeders to rope those guys into the Epic system and make them all buy Epic seasons passes. Then all those guys will get dumped into Colorado and BC. So enjoy!

Yup... It is going to continue to get nuts-er in summit county. On the plus side when Airbnb-ing my place in Dillon on the holidays I will get lots of money since there is not enough housing as it is.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Varg posted:

hopefully day ticket prices aren't jacked way up though.

LOL

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Enjoy having every New Yorker from Hunter at Whistler, Hookshot. :lol: You'll recognize them from the Rangers/Giants/Jets jerseys. Unless they are Russians then they will be all in something like Bogner.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well at least that will add some variety to the Broncos and various California team jerseys we get now.

It's going to be rough for a year or two, but word will get out about how much Whistler sucks now like it has with the current resorts. I haven't seen the actual figures from the past year but anecdotally it seemed a little bit less busy this year, and we had a really good December snow-wise (although it sucked after that LOL). And I've heard a lot of people who have complained about how bad the service is and how they'll be recommending to friends and family that they go elsewhere.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Us non-mountain folk would gladly go elsewhere for our yearly vacation if we knew where to go. Sorry for loving up your mountain. :smith:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

:( Well, they're the smallest hills in the Poconos, weekend day tickets are already $68. If they go much higher it's not gonna be worth it, and I don't ride in PA enough days as it is to buy a season pass for anything. So, I guess I'm on the "gently caress this" train.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Hi HookShot,
My father is adamant that we visit Whistler this year and I unfortunately cannot seem to talk him out of it. Would these issues still exist if we were targeting the trip for a Monday arrival and Friday morning departure, with the skiing being midweek? We were looking at the 20th, arriving right as the Americans are wrapping up MLK weekend. My father does not skii much and might not even skii there, but he wants to see the mountain. So he would be doing off mountain things, so if the service would be bad there the whole week, that might be good to know ahead of time. I tried to convince him we should go to Sunriver/Mt. Bachelor instead, but he says they are "Not nearly as iconic as Whistler!" and won't be convinced unfortunately.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You generally will be fine. Mid week skiing is always better than weekend. It will not be dead but you generally will not have insane lines. Some people might stretch out an MLK weekend. At the I70 resorts MLK day (Monday) is completely dead.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Us non-mountain folk would gladly go elsewhere for our yearly vacation if we knew where to go. Sorry for loving up your mountain. :smith:

It's ok, I honestly don't blame anyone who hears "hey Whistler is super cool it won best ski resort in North America something like ten years in a row*" and decides to come. And I do feel bad for the tourists that come here expecting to have an amazing time and it actually ends up being super sub-par because of mainly capitalism-related problems. I have no sympathy for the myriads of tourists who try to go down our blacks and double blacks on their second day of skiing though LOL. I'm not so much bitter at tourists as much as I'm bitter at how Vail and Vail's strategy has led to a bunch of lovely decisions that are super Americanized, like getting rid of the Wizard/Solar to replace them with a gondola because of liability issues and because Americans don't want to have to be outside during their mountain holiday. Or how you can't buy pitchers of beer anymore to share with friends, you have to each go up one at a time to buy your drinks because there's a one drink per person limit now. And how now only the bare minimum number of runs are ever groomed, with some regularly used cat tracks not being groomed at all, because Vail fired all of the experienced groomers who were making a decent wage and hired people who have no idea what they're doing so they're both understaffed and staffed with people who are bad and slow at it anyway.

*And immediately stopped winning when Vail took over but let's not mention that

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hi HookShot,
My father is adamant that we visit Whistler this year and I unfortunately cannot seem to talk him out of it. Would these issues still exist if we were targeting the trip for a Monday arrival and Friday morning departure, with the skiing being midweek? We were looking at the 20th, arriving right as the Americans are wrapping up MLK weekend. My father does not skii much and might not even skii there, but he wants to see the mountain. So he would be doing off mountain things, so if the service would be bad there the whole week, that might be good to know ahead of time. I tried to convince him we should go to Sunriver/Mt. Bachelor instead, but he says they are "Not nearly as iconic as Whistler!" and won't be convinced unfortunately.

It won't be as bad, but you'll still have issues. The highway will likely be fine (unless there's an accident, but I mean, that can happen anytime and you can't plan around that) on those days. The Sunday of MLK weekend is hosed, and Monday is usually better because everyone is leaving. But some extra hard partyers stay until the Tuesday. In Canada MLK is the holiday where all the college kids from the States come up exclusively to get blackout drunk because our drinking age is 19, and the whole village looks like a frat party that weekend. Spwrozek isn't entirely right though, at least not as it applies to Whistler. Even on a Tuesday after MLK day the lineup at the bottom of the Whistler gondola is always 30+ minutes (I haven't seen it be less than that in a couple years)until at least 11am, and I don't know if there's a separate sightseeing line or not (I never take the village gondola for that reason anymore), but I don't think there is. And yeah, service for most things will be bad, even mid-week after a long weekend if you're here in January. There's just not enough staff compared to how many people visit here, literally everywhere is short-staffed all the time. There are restaurants that used to be open all day that are now open for 3 hours a night because they don't have the staff to be open longer.

If your dad 100% wants to come here and you really can't get him to change his mind, I would strongly suggest that you come up in late April/early May instead. One of the mountains will be closed (it changes every year so you won't know until fall) but the other will be open for sightseeing and skiing/snowboarding. Terrain will be limited obviously but it's usually still pretty good skiing until about mid-May, then it starts to get reeeally sketchy. But most importantly, the main tourist season will have passed and everything about the experience will be better for you. Everywhere will still be shortstaffed, but the village won't be over capacity, or anywhere close to it, so you won't notice it. Walking through the village in the winter now, even mid-week during the day the stroll is just packed with people all the time, whereas April/May is muchhhhhh less so, which is way nicer in every way. And the weather is almost always wayyyyyyyyy nicer. We get pretty good Juneuary weather here but a lot of the time late April/early May is t-shirt weather on the mountain, or hoodie weather at most. Of course the risk is that it will rain the whole time, which would suck, but TBH that's also a risk in January now thanks to climate change. Gore-tex could probably be profitable just from selling to people who live in Whistler LOL.

Varg posted:

:( Well, they're the smallest hills in the Poconos, weekend day tickets are already $68. If they go much higher it's not gonna be worth it, and I don't ride in PA enough days as it is to buy a season pass for anything. So, I guess I'm on the "gently caress this" train.
Yeah, when Vail bought Whistler I think a window price day ticket was something like $125 CAD, which I already thought was pushing it since I mean yeah it's a huge mountain but it's still only one day. This year at Christmas (Vail brings in different pricing based on when you go) I believe with the exchange rate it ended up being $225 CAD, or $176 (IIRC) USD.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

This year at Christmas (Vail brings in different pricing based on when you go) I believe with the exchange rate it ended up being $225 CAD, or $176 (IIRC) USD.

Cheap compared to Vail and Breck!

And yeah I haven't been to Whistler. Just basing it on friends who have gone up around that time mid week. So you would know best.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Cheap compared to Vail and Breck!

And yeah I haven't been to Whistler. Just basing it on friends who have gone up around that time mid week. So you would know best.

Yeah, the problem is the last two years have been WAY different to the years before then. There are both more people here and fewer staff. It's actually crazy how quickly things have escalated here from being a cool mountain town year-round to being legitimately over capacity to the point that it negatively impacts tourist experiences.

And of course, sometimes you randomly get some weeks that aren't as bad as others for whatever reason, but they're fewer and far between, and way harder to predict.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My absolute favorite part of backcountry skiing is knowing that every single person at the top paid the exact same price as I did for a lift ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
gently caress Vail.