Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If you're playing ff3 I would recommend just getting a translated nes version rom. For some reason they decided to make the game harder in the rerelease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Barudak posted:

FF12 is the perfect FF game if you want to never have to deal with details. You fight things smoothly, improving your characters is just buying the next thing available, enemies dont respawn on screen, bosses are easy, and the story happens to other people.

If you played like that - which is how I'd love to play, really - you're going to miss out on loving loads of skills you kinda need.
You can live without them, but it's a pain in the arse.

The White Dragon posted:

brave comes out pretty late, but no later than faith iirc? berserk should be a pretty early or mid-game spell

If it is then somehow I missed it. It's definitely not at shops.
It's probably a random treasure in a random place like loads of ultra important stuff - looking at Shear and telekinesis here. Oh and Haste.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You get Bacchus Wine practically everywhere which is a good alternative to Berserk because your physical attackers can just cast it on themselves.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lol you took an option the game allows you to that they didn't design around at all. Hahaha this is your fault and definitely not the deisgner's awful job system not fitting their original design at all.

WTF kind of moron intentionally gimps themselves in an RPG by not having a well rounded party outside a gimmick playthrough after you already beat the game? Like holy poo poo just don't play RPGs then.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Elephant Ambush posted:

WTF kind of moron intentionally gimps themselves in an RPG by not having a well rounded party outside a gimmick playthrough after you already beat the game? Like holy poo poo just don't play RPGs then.

Well I mean in FF12 you're presented with a load of choices and that's before you really know what the gently caress you're doing. And you can't respec, at least not on the PC.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Then again ff3 ds happened so thats not even a new phenomenon for ff.

Barudak posted:

I dont want to post about FF3 because itll make my bad posting even worse for the next ten posts

rodbeard posted:

If you're playing ff3 I would recommend just getting a translated nes version rom. For some reason they decided to make the game harder in the rerelease.
Aside from the end-game gauntlet with no save opportunities, what else got broke in the FF3 3D remake? Did they screw up the job rebalance or something?

I'm playing through FF3 now and after repeating the first two hours of the game on four different versions I finally settled on playing the PSP port. It seems like a good version of the game, maybe even the best for having auto battle, if it weren't for the fact that there's save anywhere option, not even a quicksave. But honestly, I'm using the "press L+X to save anywhere" cwcheat so that's not really a problem.

As for the other versions:

Famicom fan translation (AWJ 1999): I've had a copy of this for years and have played through parts of it. It's a charming translation, but these days it's hard to look up stats on items/equipment since a lot of the names differ from the official (3D) localization.

Famicom fan translation (Chaos Rush 2019): The most recent version of this came out a month ago. It uses the names and script of the 3D localization where applicable. It also does some font hackery so that names don't have to be restricted to four characters or whatever. From what I've played this is a great translation of the Famicom game, but honestly I just find the Famicom/NES FFs too clunky these days, although FF3 is the best of them.

DS (3D) Remake (2006): I bought this when it came out, but I've really come to dislike it. I'm OK with the low-poly 3D and chibi models, but the game is too slow both in framerate and the drawn-out battle animations. However, my biggest complaint about this version is that as a DS game, it neither makes good use of the dual screens nor touch. On the overworld the top screen shows a world map, which is fine, but in dungeons the screen is literally black except for some occasional text that appears during plot events--which is more jarring than a good use of the screen. When you go into the inventory, the bottom (action) screen freeze-frames to the top screen while the inventory is open, but that seems like a lost opportunity to me. They could've had inventory/stats on the bottom screen permanently and just put all the action on the top. I think Tose did a much better job of this with their Chrono Trigger port a couple years later.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF12 doesn't even explain which jobs do magic damage and which ones do physical damage.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'd wager that what you think is intentional is actually unintentional but go off I guess

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

DS (3D) Remake (2006):

I can't believe these are your complaints about FF3 DS and not the fact that it's a loving nightmarish slog with absolutely decimated balance from the NES version. Most of the jobs got gimped to hell and back, the enemies got insanely buffed (all the World of Darkness bosses now have 99,000 HP, for instance), and absolutely zero QoL changes were added like save points. In fact, QoL changes got REMOVED; the incredibly forgiving CP system for changing jobs was swapped to "if you change jobs you become useless and have to grind out ~10 battles to become not useless". Do not play FF3 DS because it's horribly unfun. You know it was made by the same director as FF14 1.0?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 22, 2019

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Famicom fan translation (AWJ 1999): I've had a copy of this for years and have played through parts of it. It's a charming translation, but these days it's hard to look up stats on items/equipment since a lot of the names differ from the official (3D) localization.

I have a soft spot for the AWJ version because AWJ decided to put in his university email for contacting, which happened to be the same place I went for undergrad. It's a stupid reason to like it, but I can't help but feel at home when I play it. I should check out the Chaos Rush translation I guess.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I can't believe these are your complaints about FF3 DS and not the fact that it's a loving nightmarish slog with absolutely decimated balance from the NES version.
I've only played to the point where I've removed the curse on Kazus and just unlocked the set of Wind Crystal jobs, and the job transition for those are two battles. That's why I'm asking about it though.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

and absolutely zero QoL changes were added like save points. In fact, QoL changes got REMOVED; the incredibly forgiving CP system for changing jobs was swapped to "if you change jobs you become useless and have to grind out ~10 battles to become not useless".
I'm not beyond cheating if it makes an almost-good game actually good. I'm already using a save anywhere cheat. If disabling the job transition intervals solves the grind-to-get-back-to-normal problem I'm OK with that. I'm not one to switch jobs back and forth repeatedly anyways, the penalty for which I think was the original purpose of the CP system/job transitions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Elephant Ambush posted:

cant believe that guy didnt psychically know that shikari is the only melee class that gets telekinesis without espers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They decided to give all bosses two actions a turn but left in randomized turn order. Its perfectly possible for a boss to go four turns in a row and wipe you or for bosses with powerful AoEs since theres nothing in the games code stopping the from casting it a bunch just kill you before your healer ever gets a chance to do a drat thing.

They made a hidden system for weapon proficiency

Job leveling is purposefully capped per battle and based on actions basically only so that its as frustrating and laborious as possible to get good with new jobs.

Hp growth is still tied to your job

The original game many jobs were straight replacements for others and the jobs in the final dungeon were your endgame jobs. They reworked them in 3ds to be "more balanced" which mostly means the games original progression curve is lost and job switching due to the penalties is even more irritating since you are intended to do it more for less reward.

loving HP inflation in enemies all over

The "you get worse for several fights for using the core feature of this game" concept

Added a new job that literally only starts getting good at level 92. Thats not a joke

More things Im sure Im forgetting because seriously the guy who made this made this, FF 11, and FF14 1.0

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 22, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

cant believe that guy didnt psychically know that shikari is the only melee class that gets telekinesis without espers

My google drive document that calculates who all gets what based on jobs and espers and quickening unlocks would have given him the answer in a very light 47 pages.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

FF12 doesn't even explain which jobs do magic damage and which ones do physical damage.

What do you think Black Mage and Red Mage do? "Mage" is right there. In RPGs, unless you never played one before, you will run into at least one important situation where you need to cast offensive magic. You will also need someone to heal wounds at least once. Also you will need someone with high defense and hp (that means hit points) to protect the other party members from getting hurt.

Also thing we're on right now is called "an internets" and I've heard rumors that you can use it to search for information about things, even digital role playing video games. I've never tried it but maybe you could?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can look at the entire job board for a class before committing to it in 12.

Taear posted:

If you played like that - which is how I'd love to play, really - you're going to miss out on loving loads of skills you kinda need.
You can live without them, but it's a pain in the arse.

Cura, Dispel, Esuna will carry you through the entire main story of the game. Any spell beyond that just makes it even more of a cakewalk.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Well Samurai gets Shades of Black which is spammable magic for no MP cost, Uhlan and Monk can hit flyers naturally.

The only melees that have trouble with flyers are Knight and Shikari.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also thing we're on right now is called "an internets" and I've heard rumors that you can use it to search for information about things, even digital role playing video games. I've never tried it but maybe you could?

So you're revising your original position to include "WTF kind of moron doesn't completely internet research all options of the RPG that they're playing and what kind of idiot expects the game itself to explain things"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Everyone can equip Seitengrat so just get 6 to deal with flyers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
FF12 was intentionally designed to be vague to encourage people to experiment and try things and share what they learned online. They succeeded in this whether anyone thinks it's ~*good game design*~ or not.

I personally hate being spoonfed everything like a call of duty tutorial and I laugh at people who hate not being told exactly where to go and what to do next.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Sean posted:

So you're revising your original position to include "WTF kind of moron doesn't completely internet research all options of the RPG that they're playing and what kind of idiot expects the game itself to explain things"

No

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The first half of your double post contradicts yourself.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF12 was intentionally designed to be vague to encourage people to experiment and try things and share what they learned online. They succeeded in this whether anyone thinks it's ~*good game design*~ or not.

I personally hate being spoonfed everything like a call of duty tutorial and I laugh at people who hate not being told exactly where to go and what to do next.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of like, a game like la mulana which benefits from this, not a game like Final Fantasy?

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Thanks for the heads up on the lovely parts of Steam's / DS FF3, everyone! I seriously thought that the anti-QoL stuff was just them being too loyal to the Famicom version. The guide I'm using has managed to get me through so far, so I'm just glad this is the one I'm starting with. Also holy hell at the director being 14's 1.0.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

I didn't look at a single wiki entry and beat the game incredibly easily using the same three characters all game because FF12 is one of the easiest games ever made.

E: tell a lie I used a map for the great crystal because gently caress that poo poo lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why not use the other party members they're cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't like having smelly guys in my party if I can avoid it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't like having smelly guys in my party if I can avoid it

Then maybe you should take a shower every day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's just a bad game. If you aren't enjoying it know that it gets worse from there and just stop

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cartoon Violence posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the lovely parts of Steam's / DS FF3, everyone! I seriously thought that the anti-QoL stuff was just them being too loyal to the Famicom version. The guide I'm using has managed to get me through so far, so I'm just glad this is the one I'm starting with. Also holy hell at the director being 14's 1.0.

The Steam version auto-saves every time you enter a battle, just FYI. If it looks like you're gonna lose a fight just quit and restart from the continue.

I don't hate FF3D at all. I found it fun. It's not my favorite FF or anything but the bosses getting multiple turns thing is way overblown. Bosses only get 2 turns and while this can be very, very bad at times, it's not ridiculous in my experience. Also I like having the option to use any Job I want. I don't know why people complain about this. I used a Red Mage from start to finish and it was great because Red Mages are the best.

Should also go without saying the music is dope. One of the better normal boss themes in the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAGtTmmx0s

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

NikkolasKing posted:

The Steam version auto-saves every time you enter a battle, just FYI. If it looks like you're gonna lose a fight just quit and restart from the continue.

This is extremely helpful to know and I'll definitely keep it in mind when doing boss fights! Believe it or not, everyone, I AM enjoying this release of 3 so far, at least with a guide telling me where all the treasures and rare encounters are.

FF music to me is always so catchy and memorable. I only played part of 10 like 15 years ago and still remember every note of the random encounter music. 3 for Steam's music is all serious earworm stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Aside from the end-game gauntlet with no save opportunities, what else got broke in the FF3 3D remake? Did they screw up the job rebalance or something?

short version: everything

longer version: 1) they completely hosed speed rolls. for example, scholar is sluggishly slow because the whole point of him is that he moves after the Wallchange boss, so you Peep him after he switches his resistance and then set up the next round to target his weakness. in the remake, the boss acts multiple times per round, and can Wallchange as a normal action, so he'll probably switch in the middle of the round, or maybe at the beginning of it, who the gently caress knows! this is because every round, action order is decided by a roll of 0~255 + speed, which means that even with 99 speed you still basically have a statistically equal chance of acting last.

2) HP totals have been massively inflated, but your damage output hasn't. in the NES version, Medusa has 900 HP, and you probably do 90-250 damage per attack.

in the DS version, Medusa has 6200 HP, and you still do 90-250 damage per attack, and also she attacks three times per round

3) this has already been mentioned but bosses get multiple actions, when in the NES version they didn't. did you know most of their attacks are balanced around only being used once per round? this is why Garuda wipes everyone, because he uses his ultra powerful attack three times a round and will probably wipe you out in one. and Doga and Unei, who are only supposed to cast one spell per round each, but now they cast three or four, so you better hope they don't use Flare or Holy every action because that will always one-shot you.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 22, 2019

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

Yes they do.

It's just a bad game. If you aren't enjoying it know that it gets worse from there and just stop

No it's a really good game and just because you and that other player are bad at it doesnt mean its bad.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 22, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

smh that there's a shikari job in ff12 but not a shikatanai job

why were they able to help themselves

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes they do.

No it's a really good game and just because you and that other player are bad at it doesnt mean its bad.

You're right, he should force himself to play the game he's not enjoying

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF12 is the new FF13

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

FF12 is the new FF13

Tbf it's the old ff13 cause gambits are just paradigms but much more annoying to use

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF12 is the new FF13 is the new FF12

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Therefore FF12 and FF13 are the exact same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the lead writer on ff13 wanted to marry lightning... the lead writer on ff12 wanted to marry fran... oh my god it all lines up :tinfoil: