Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/splatoonnews/status/1153140378490593282

They exchanged headgear :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elman posted:

They could literally reuse all this stuff from previous Splatfests. Yes, even the topics. It'd be better than killing off one of their flagship titles when they haven't even started working on the sequel.

It's just gonna turn people off the game for no good reason. It would've made a lot more sense to hold this event closer to Splatoon 3's release.

it's a little premature to say that splattoon 2 is getting 'killed off', plenty of people were playing splatoon 1 well after its last splatfest and that was on a far less popular console

if anything i might end up playing more splatoon 2 now that the splatfests are over. i'd kind of gotten into a routine of only really booting it up during splatfests and not really thinking about it the rest of the month but now that routine is getting shaken up

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest Schedules :siren:

There won't be Splatfests anymore.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

it's a little premature to say that splattoon 2 is getting 'killed off', plenty of people were playing splatoon 1 well after its last splatfest and that was on a far less popular console

if anything i might end up playing more splatoon 2 now that the splatfests are over. i'd kind of gotten into a routine of only really booting it up during splatfests and not really thinking about it the rest of the month but now that routine is getting shaken up

I only ever play games in fits and I finished my Splatoon 2 fit some time ago, but Splatfest always brought it back to mind, for what it's worth. It always reminded me that this game was out there.

Also, Splatoon 1 was on a far less popular console with free online gameplay. That could change the math on engagement significantly.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The fun part of watching those old trailers is seeing how they changed the stages over time.

ESPECIALLY Skipper Pavillion, so many missing walls!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ah gently caress I completely missed the Final 'Fest! :sigh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Elman posted:

They could literally reuse all this stuff from previous Splatfests. Yes, even the topics. It'd be better than killing off one of their flagship titles when they haven't even started working on the sequel.

It's just gonna turn people off the game for no good reason. It would've made a lot more sense to hold this event closer to Splatoon 3's release.

Didn't people get burned out on Splatfests and hate that they couldn't play ranked?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

If only Splatfests were bringing you back you're probably not gonna stick around for regular gameplay as long as you think you are. Whatever else was keeping you busy is gonna get its claws in you again and Splatoon no longer has that monthly reminder for you.

I don't think Splatoon 2's dead, but it's definitely shifting to idle for the rest of its lifespan.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yeah, after 5.0.0 hits, Nintendo will probably keep Splatoon running with a skeleton crew.

But Nintendo will keep supporting it with events like Splatoon Koshien and World Championships. I guess we'll hear about the possible future of Splatoon 2 first from these events when they get Animal Crossing out of the door first. I doubt it'll be anything dramatic though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Splatoon 1 still got patches for two months after the final splatfest. On a console that Nintendo had been getting ready to shelf. Splatoon 2 is a wildly popular game, and I'm willing to guess it will be getting maintenance well into 2020, and at least one more suprise content update.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Splatoon 1 still got patches for two months after the final splatfest. On a console that Nintendo had been getting ready to shelf. Splatoon 2 is a wildly popular game, and I'm willing to guess it will be getting maintenance well into 2020, and at least one more suprise content update.

Splatoon 1 also had a roughly two-year lifespan, so it's not really a proper comparison. Even if the WiiU hadn't been a clusterfuck chances are it would've ended the same way it did.

The thing you have to remember is that long-life service games are morale-killers for game development. Especially for a project-driven company like Nintendo. Eventually anything like Splatoon or WoW or [insert MMO/FPS here] reaches a point where the really talented people who made it good are either jumping to other projects or other companies altogether because they're sick of it. Scoping out a two-year post-release run of content and capping it off gracefully instead of just death-marching on indefinitely is about as good as game developers can make out on a game like Splatoon 2.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can deal with that map as is more than Towers no matter how many changes they've made to that.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 22, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If only Splatfests were bringing you back you're probably not gonna stick around for regular gameplay as long as you think you are. Whatever else was keeping you busy is gonna get its claws in you again and Splatoon no longer has that monthly reminder for you.

I don't think Splatoon 2's dead, but it's definitely shifting to idle for the rest of its lifespan.

This is me all over. Great game, but there's a lot of other things keeping me busy, and while I tell myself I should try to master Salmon Run or Ranked, I don't come on enough to do so, and I'm too worried about losing rank to try too much, which I know is stupid. I've stopped caring about Smash GSP or Tennis ranked, I don't know why I can't do the same in Splatoon...

I don't go on the discord very often, I don't know if a lot of you are in the habit of just leaving it on in the background, but I think I'd be way more active if it meant I was playing with you kids.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I can deal with that map as is more than Towers no matter how many changes they've made to that.

It's criminal that they kept Moray Towers instead of Flounder Heights.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Two years of active support and (likely) further additional support is pretty good for an online game that's not choked with microtransactions. I'm sad that Splatfests are over, but they were a really fun ride while they lasted.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NofrikinfuN posted:

It's criminal that they kept Moray Towers instead of Flounder Heights.

Strong agree. Flounder Heights was an extremely fun map.

Also it's just the hormones, I definitely wasn't crying over the sweet capstone video. Definitely...naw it's both. That was adorable. :3:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatoon 1 also had a roughly two-year lifespan, so it's not really a proper comparison. Even if the WiiU hadn't been a clusterfuck chances are it would've ended the same way it did.

1 year, 2 months.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Splatoon is like the only success story for Nintendo Online so I find it difficult to believe they’re just going to do nothing with it for the next four years and piss away all the goodwill it’s built up for them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Miiverse dying killed Splatoon 1 more for me than no more Splatfests. The lack of graffiti in the game made it feel more barren. Hopefully the servers for Splatoon 2 graffiti stay up until 3 is out at least.

I think the player population for 2 will be fine in the meantime. This game has a really devoted fan base and there’s nothing that even plays close to the series for people to move on to.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Like Mario Kart there isn't much of a good reason to make a whole new game on the same hardware when the results are going to be too similar. Given the game's sales in Japan I won't be at all surprised to find out Splatoon 3 is a launch title for whatever major hardware comes out next. Suppose that'd be my guess too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's get a rpg spinoff

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Like Mario Kart there isn't much of a good reason to make a whole new game on the same hardware when the results are going to be too similar. Given the game's sales in Japan I won't be at all surprised to find out Splatoon 3 is a launch title for whatever major hardware comes out next. Suppose that'd be my guess too

Same. I don’t see a reason for another one on Switch unless there’s major innovation.

A spin off would be dope to bridge the gap though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In Training posted:

Let's get a rpg spinoff

A tactical RPG would be great.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SquidCom. You did it once with Rabbids, Nintendo, do it with squids.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gimmie a Portal 2-esque co-op platform puzzle game

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

LethalGeek posted:

Nintendo has a pretty patchy success rate with new hardware adoption and the switch has been a huge success so my gut says they’re gonna want to push this system as long as possible. There’s still plenty of QoL stuff with Splatoon and ideas on where it could go that I’d probably place money on 3 coming out on the switch.

Mario Kart has been done to death and 8 is a pretty polished product that I think a new entry would need to go in a new direction to justify itself on the switch. I mean really if 9 is just a rehash of everything in 8 I doubt I would get it regardless of what system it’s on.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Gimmie a Portal 2-esque co-op platform puzzle game

I've been pining for a co-op story mode since Splatoon 1. It'd be loving dope, and it makes so much sense with the Switch's handheld and tabletop modes compared to the Wii U.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A big, mario galaxy sized single player spinoff would be great.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Obligatory Splatoon Island by that ahem, Adult artist

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I really am glad I don't know WTF you're even talking ab out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the kentucky quid posted:

Mario Kart has been done to death and 8 is a pretty polished product that I think a new entry would need to go in a new direction to justify itself on the switch. I mean really if 9 is just a rehash of everything in 8 I doubt I would get it regardless of what system it’s on.
If 9 was literally 8 but with new tracks I would get it. You want an influx of new stuff every now and then.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’ve played all the MK tracks to death, give me new ones and also bring Waluigi Pinball/Delfino Plaza back

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'd gladly drop another $20 on 8 new tracks. Maybe some new battle modes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if the next MK is on Switch and is smash Bros ultimate style "every track is here" built on the MK8 engine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the next MK is on Switch and is smash Bros ultimate style "every track is here" built on the MK8 engine

That would kick so much rear end and I hope it happens. Also more non Mario tracks please.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

That would kick so much rear end and I hope it happens. Also more non Mario tracks please.

Gimmie a dang Splatfest themed track.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Gimmie a dang Splatfest themed track.

There is one in 8 Deluxe, but it's just a battle map

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

the kentucky quid posted:

Nah... I'll take MK9, even if it uses the same engine and has all new tracks. I'll even take MK8 DLC, but I'll gladly pay full price for a whole new game that is essentially MK8 DLC.

It's 5 years old, we need a new Mario Kart

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh gently caress why the hell ISNT Flounder Heights in Splat2?!

It better be in 5.0 I swear to god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh gently caress why the hell ISNT Saltspray Rig in Splat2?!

It better be in 5.0 I swear to god