Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Captain had his dewclaws removed and balls removed. :sadwave:

His cone of shame is like a satellite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can he get it through doorways, okay :ohdear:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can he get it through doorways, okay :ohdear:

If he walks in the middle he can, else he dinks it and decides he didn't need to be in the other room after all.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Keegers posted:

decides he didn't need to be in the other room after all.

:allears: :kimchi: that's exactly the kind of ridiculousness I would expect from a Big Dog.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Went on a play date with another friends GD (Charlie, the fawn)...we had another blue female turn up later.
It keeps amazing me just how well Great Danes play with each other, compared to how they play with other breeds. Really makes me consider getting one more :)

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

My Irish Wolfhound Merlin and I out at the park.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

How are your big dogs enjoying the winter season?

Mines loving it

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mine are a pair of apple stealing polar bears all winter.

Mina

Major

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

Big dog didn't get to see his 8th Christmas. I always thought he'd be a Berner who dodged the cancer bullet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: I'm so sorry. I liked that good lad a lot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bah, sorry to hear :(

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
We have three dogs currently.

Tessa: 8 month old GSD/Golden mix. Right now 60lbs. Vet estimates 80-90lbs.
Freya: 3 year old Black Lab/Hound mix. She isn't BIG OL'DOG. She is a wirey thing.
Sawyer: 10 year old Black Lab/Newfie Mix. 100lbs in the winter, 85 in the summers.

And here is Sawyer from a few months ago on his way to the Vet for his annual:

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 7, 2018

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Bring it on, 2019.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 19, 2019

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
I thought about getting a big dog but the idea of something making GBS threads bigger than I do just didn't appeal to me to have as a pet.
Used the have a Great Dane growing up. Best dog I ever had.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This thread has become way too quiet:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

At just under 11.5 years old Amy's still hanging on. I have become her pillow for all things thunder-related. That's alright.

And Meri's gotten kinda big I guess :v:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I rescued a mastiff 2 months ago.

https://streamable.com/8kvr6

She is a 3 year old puppy mill rescue. The rescuers believe she had 3-4 litters. When we got her she was extremely underfed and very timid and afraid. She has a broken tail and teeth from being abused, I believe she has joint issues as well.

Her name is Spruce Moose! And after just 2 months her and my st Bernard are inseparable, they immediately bonded and have gotten along perfectly. She has also warmed up to my wife and I a lot, so much she comes running up to us to greet and loves to be cuddled.

How anyone could abuse this sweet heart is beyond me and I'm so happy we have been able to add her to our family.

Edit: a little positive to her mouth situation is her tongue is always out :cheeky:

Keegers fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 25, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Keegers posted:

I rescued a mastiff 2 months ago.

https://streamable.com/8kvr6

She is a 3 year old puppy mill rescue. The rescuers believe she had 3-4 litters. When we got her she was extremely underfed and very timid and afraid. She has a broken tail and teeth from being abused, I believe she has joint issues as well.

Her name is Spruce Moose! And after just 2 months her and my st Bernard are inseparable, they immediately bonded and have gotten along perfectly. She has also warmed up to my wife and I a lot, so much she comes running up to us to greet and loves to be cuddled.

How anyone could abuse this sweet heart is beyond me and I'm so happy we have been able to add her to our family.

Edit: a little positive to her mouth situation is her tongue is always out :cheeky:

I really do need one more dog...

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I really do need one more dog...

Only downside is I have even less room on the couch/bed now.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Keegers posted:

Her name is Spruce Moose!

Perfect name, perfect dog :kimchi:

I don't have any giant dogs, just a small baby polar bear and her terrible frecklemonster brother.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My goobs was just diagnosed with dcm and arterial fibulation at age 3. Vet gave him a six month prognosis if he responds to treatment. He’s my best friend and the best dog in the world so we are hoping he beats the odds. We changed him to a diet which includes grain as well.

We hustled and grinder and fought to move his cardio appt up two weeks. Doc said he wouldn’t have made it another two weeks without treatment.

The app isn’t letting me post pics. I’ll try later. 3 yo 100 lbs Great Dane male.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That very good boy looks a lot like our very good boy, a 120lbs GD with IBD. We luckily got referred to a fantastic internist and he's been much better. Hopefully you have good luck too!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I'm very partial to Mina and Major.

These aren't mine, nor are the people within my acquaintances:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Avbabpn

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

When you cushion falls to the floor and you insist on still using it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 23, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm considering getting a dog. I like big dogs and also chill dogs but I want to learn more about breeds and general dog care before I decide whether a dog is right for me and/or any given breed.

Does anybody have some good reliable reading material for me? Google is returning a bunch of lazy click bait-y sort of results.

E: also dog training so they behave on walks and generally listen to you and what not. I have visited some really well behaved dogs that are just a dream to be around and also other dogs that look good in pictures but thats about it, and I'd prefer the former.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I'm considering getting a dog. I like big dogs and also chill dogs but I want to learn more about breeds and general dog care before I decide whether a dog is right for me and/or any given breed.

Does anybody have some good reliable reading material for me? Google is returning a bunch of lazy click bait-y sort of results.

E: also dog training so they behave on walks and generally listen to you and what not. I have visited some really well behaved dogs that are just a dream to be around and also other dogs that look good in pictures but thats about it, and I'd prefer the former.

Honestly, I'd start with AKC.org and just browse through the breeds until you get a list together of what you like and what you don't. We're happy to field any dog jargon questions that might come up.

A lot of the giant breeds are pretty headstrong, but with some work you can certainly turn them into polite members of society, especially the wolfhounds, danes, deerhounds, and greyhounds.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've heard great dane's are good dogs to have if you like chill boys. I know that working dogs make up a bunch of the large/giant dogs and are a huge handful and are really beyond what I want to deal with. I just want a big cool friend who likes to go for walks and play a bit but also doesn't mind chilling on the couch and watching netflix sometimes. Something that doesn't take 4+ hours of exercise a day to tire out.

I'll try and take a poke around the website and see if I can't bring a short list of dogs here for discussion I guess? I've never actually owned a dog, just visited friend's dogs, so I'm in a bit of uncharted territory for me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Greyhound/wolfhound sounds pretty good for you tbh. My brother in law has one (cross) and I usually take her out for walks with my collie and you can easily tire her out for an entire day with a good half hour of intense activity and then she can just lie around and do nothing for at least 24 hours before I notice her looking like she’s getting antsy. Even a half hour stroll at a very leisurely pace seems to do her quite well. They go loving bonkers for p much any wildlife though which I find a huge pain in the rear end bc I like to walk the collie off lead and even when the hound is on lead she still tries to chase poo poo constantly and sets mine off

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Great Danes can take a fair amount of training. (Ours did!). I'd take a look at adopting a retired Greyhound.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
How energetic are newfies? I feel like I've heard they are pretty comfortable loafing about.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tree Dude posted:

How energetic are newfies? I feel like I've heard they are pretty comfortable loafing about.

Can confirm. Mine will (and should) go for walks, but he's perfectly happy to laze about 24/7. The only downside, if you consider it to be one, is that they snore real loud.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

With Meri (he'll be 2 in November, so we're still in prime puppy mode) it's like this giant tornado of gleeful smash-dancing like, maybe 15% of the time. The rest of the time, he's the cuddliest rug you've ever met who just wants to do big bear groans when you scratch his ears.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
The maintenance is huge with newfies is the one caution. Great dogs but the fur tumbleweeds are nuts and they can get a bit smelly if you're not diligent about keeping them clean.

Also please please please get pet insurance if you're getting a big ol' dog. One shot of our most common anti nausea drug can be over a hundred dollars in a giant breed, and medical costs can add up quick (in small dogs and cats too but definitely in the big dogs). Do some research and find a company with a good rep and if anything happens then when you get a five plus thousand dollar estimate then it becomes way less of a worry on whether or not it's affordable.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Rescue I got Tracker from: Hey you want to see a picture of one of Tracker's puppies?

Me: [Cool and aloof and not at all giggly with excitement] Yes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Rescue I got Tracker from: Hey you want to see a picture of one of Tracker's puppies?

Me: [Cool and aloof and not at all giggly with excitement] Yes.

good lord those ears. is that vest a caution for maximum goofy ears? because I think that's what it's for (no really what's that pup doin?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

good lord those ears. is that vest a caution for maximum goofy ears? because I think that's what it's for (no really what's that pup doin?)

From what I understood she was in school to be a service dog.

Heaven help her owners if she actually grows into those ears.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 28, 2019