Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bullet Bill
Torpedo Ted

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

They are, being a million billion gajillionaire is innately immoral even in the best situations, much less the trash fire that is the US.

sure but thats not the point of those movies and never would have been. like i dont disagree with his point, its just weird to get mad at with lovely disney remake.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bullet Bill
Torpedo Ted

oh poo poo.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Holy poo poo what?

https://twitter.com/incontroltv/status/1153103748308381696?s=21

:psyduck:

He literally has tweets he posted YESTERDAY! What on earth happened?

https://twitter.com/iNcontroLTV/status/1153484240199258112

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bullet Bill
Torpedo Ted

EXCELLENT! *mock guitar riff*

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

he was apparently in the hospital for a heart abscess, i wonder if they didn't properly treat his legs for clots. my dad had a pulmonary embolism (in fact, half a dozen apparently) and should have fuckin died when he was in the hospital for an illness and they forgot to turn on a machine that puts pressure on the legs (or something to that effect) to prevent clots from forming.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

no real clue who he is but always sad to see a guy go so suddenly and so young, hope his family is doing as well as can be

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sexpig by night posted:

no real clue who he is but always sad to see a guy go so suddenly and so young, hope his family is doing as well as can be

He was basically one of the biggest names in the Starcraft community. I don't follow Starcraft at all but I watched him on several Rollplay shows on ITMEJP's channel, and the dude was really funny. He knew how to roast his friends better than any comedian you'll see on the Friar's Club Roast thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

one of the koopalings is named after Wendy O. Williams

All the Koopa Kids are naked named after musicians :ssh:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 23, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nine-gear crow posted:

All the Koopa Kids are naked after musicians :ssh:

who isn't?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Takoluka posted:

who isn't?

loving auto correct :rolleyes:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Morton Downey Jr. isn't a musician.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he was apparently in the hospital for a heart abscess, i wonder if they didn't properly treat his legs for clots. my dad had a pulmonary embolism (in fact, half a dozen apparently) and should have fuckin died when he was in the hospital for an illness and they forgot to turn on a machine that puts pressure on the legs (or something to that effect) to prevent clots from forming.

After I got my bariatric surgery, I had to stick a syringe in my belly for a month to prevent blood clots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

After I got my bariatric surgery, I had to stick a syringe in my belly for a month to prevent blood clots.

yeah. i have been in the hospital a ton and once you reach 20s, they start doing the anti blood clot poo poo when you stay over at least twice a day.

that sucks. at least he didnt suffer.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Jesus that's terrifying. Due to bad genetics, I have some leg veins in weird positions and I have thrombophlebitis, in which blood in the legs has trouble going back up so I have to be constantly checking my legs and wearing mid-level compression stockings/leggings 5 days a week in order to prevent clots and embolisms. I had a minor vein removed in a surgery this April because it was close to giving out, and my angiologist said it was so bad he could almost put his finger inside it. I hope your dad is ok.

tl;dr, vein health is important, kiddos. if you have lovely genetics like me, are obese, and/or spend nearly all day sitting down, please stretch your legs often and consider getting some compression stockings of the lowest level of pressure. your legs and veins will thank you for it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Morton Downey Jr. isn't a musician.
He had a music career before becoming the proto-Limbaugh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Hey I just wanted to say the op should be updated to note Pushing Up Roses mostly focuses on 80s and 90s TV now and that she also has some great content on dealing with depression and eating disorders irl. She's one of my new favorites since she popped into my YouTube recs a while back.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
He had prior issues from being a sedentary progamer/caster, but AFAIK went through with lifestyle changes since they knew how lucky he was. Sadly it wasn't on his side this go around. :sigh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1153395615977672722

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Here's a summary for those who don't want to watch Logan "Lets disrepect Japanese culture and then make a video where I show a dead body don't mind my croctears when I get called out" Paul:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ninchekaba/status/1153528234824404992

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 23, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Never trust anyone with a first name as their last name.

rudecyrus posted:

Jim talks about the push from game publishers for more social networking. Apparently "super whales" are a thing now, because of loving course it is.
Between the probable pivot from a "live service" model to a Netflix subscription-based model, forcing social interaction in games as a way to catch "super whales" ( :puke: ), and Google's move into home video game consoles, I'm noticing the beginning of a deliberate push by the video game industry to become just another tendril of the San Francisco tech-and-data economy. I have no doubt Jim will get to this because his channel always keeps the door open for further scrutiny.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but thats not the point of those movies and never would have been.

That's exactly what he's saying.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but thats not the point of those movies and never would have been. like i dont disagree with his point, its just weird to get mad at with lovely disney remake.

He states frequently in the video that he knows it is not in Dinsey's interest to critique or do any rigorous examination of capitalism. His point is that Disney makes sure that any plot point that puts capitalism in a negative light is framed around capitalism working, but being ruined by "a few bad apples", and that the point of these movies isn't to critique the original properties but to defend them while inserting wildly conservative faux-progressive tokens as a way of updating the properties to the times with minimal risk to Disney's brand or their IPs.

His "don't come to me demanding my answers" comment in the video is a bit obnoxious, but it's also loving youtube, and anyone who runs in screaming "debate meeee!" isn't seeking productive discourse on how to dismantle capitalism or otherwise planning on arguing in good faith anyway, so I don't blame him for telling them to gently caress off in so many words.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocxeV50ZtQQ

Here's a really good video on how a lot of secondary Spider-Man media has gone the road of demonising the working class in the past few years. I can't believe the MCU Spider-Man films are two for two in featuring villains who are disgruntled ex-Stark employees with legitimate grievances. What a crock.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Leal posted:

Ogre Battle: Fat Bottomed Girls. Do it Square!

The long awaited spin-off "Ogre Battle: Bicycle Race".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Here's a really good video on how a lot of secondary Spider-Man media has gone the road of demonising the working class in the past few years. I can't believe the MCU Spider-Man films are two for two in featuring villains who are disgruntled ex-Stark employees with legitimate grievances. What a crock.

The MCU Spider-Man movies are actually interesting for this - the Vulture, the blue-collar victim of Stark Enterprises, is a very sympathetic character who's directly and repeatedly compared to Stark himself, the flawed but heroic protagonist of the MCU. He's basically pre-redemption Tony with Peter as his Yinsen, with his more directly unpleasant crimes being balanced out by his more desperate circumstances, and gets redeemed in the end. Mysterio, meanwhile, is a privileged, entitled techbro sociopath who responded to being humiliated by a bigger, more dangerous capitalist by taking it out on the rest of the planet in order to ensure he and the people like him stay at the top of the heap. He's basically James Damore gone supervillain.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
everything i know about economics i learned from watching videos of grotesques who are upset about cartoons

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the current spidey MCU is the least spider-man it's ever been. Uncle Ben is nothing, now fully replaced by loving Tony Stark just for ~IP synergy~ which has the side effect in the newest movie of turning his struggle from 'my uncle was a good salt of the earth man who's values I try to uphold' to 'I MISS MY SUGAR DADDY BILLIONAIRE WHO WAS MAYBE PORKING MY AUNT BECAUSE MY SUPER SUIT CAN'T GET UPGRADED AS EASY NOW'. Adding that with, yea the fact that he's now 2/2 for beating up workers who had pretty fair grievances and suddenly they turned the kid from a working class background who had to balance super hero poo poo with 'gently caress rent went up I gotta scrounge up more money' into a wealthy kid with a super battle suit who beats up working class people.

Like, there have been entire loving comic arcs about how guys like The Shocker aren't really that bad, and Pete actually has a lot of empathy for someone like him who is a genuinely brilliant mind but just didn't have the luck he did so wound up getting shafted. Yea he still punches the dude when he tries to rob a bank but the core conflict isn't as gross because it's kinda just two people of similar backgrounds clashing, with an important level of respect given from the hero.

Which sucks because I think Holland is a great Spider-Man and Spider-Man is about my favorite marvel hero but I really fuckin hate this monkey paw bullshit of 'you wanted spidey in the MCU proper? WELL HERE YOU GO!!!!!!'

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
^ Ehhhh, I think you're reading into it what isn't there.

Darth Walrus posted:

The MCU Spider-Man movies are actually interesting for this - the Vulture, the blue-collar victim of Stark Enterprises, is a very sympathetic character who's directly and repeatedly compared to Stark himself, the flawed but heroic protagonist of the MCU. He's basically pre-redemption Tony with Peter as his Yinsen, with his more directly unpleasant crimes being balanced out by his more desperate circumstances, and gets redeemed in the end. Mysterio, meanwhile, is a privileged, entitled techbro sociopath who responded to being humiliated by a bigger, more dangerous capitalist by taking it out on the rest of the planet in order to ensure he and the people like him stay at the top of the heap. He's basically James Damore gone supervillain.

I love this about it, too - both of his antagonists have been in the upper level of MCU bads for having clear motivations, and in the case of the Vulture, a sympathetic story.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Quentin is an MCU silicon valley dudebro so I have no sympathy for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

this. though the vulture becomes white collar through his crimes and is basicaly rich as gently caress by the end but he still tells himself he is blue collar so he has a reason to keep going after one more score. that being said he is great villian. also correct about mysterio.

the video kinda doesn;t fully get ocks villainy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMaestroso posted:

^ Ehhhh, I think you're reading into it what isn't there.

I love this about it, too - both of his antagonists have been in the upper level of MCU bads for having clear motivations, and in the case of the Vulture, a sympathetic story.

Also the Uncle Ben thing was presumably skipped because Spidey's origins have been done twice in the past decade and we don't need the hat-trick. I really respect the MCU writers for realizing this and just skipping an origin film altogether.

My personal take on the whole Tony Stark thing was Peter thinking he'd found a replacement male rolemodel/parental figure just to lose them a second time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. though the vulture becomes white collar through his crimes and is basicaly rich as gently caress by the end but he still tells himself he is blue collar so he has a reason to keep going after one more score. that being said he is great villian. also correct about mysterio.

the video kinda doesn;t fully get ocks villainy.

I mean, that's the thing, isn't it? Adrian's sympathetic, heroic traits come from being a salt-of-the-earth working-class family man who looks out for his people, his villainous traits come from trying to be the same rear end in a top hat capitalist who ruined him, and ultimately, it's the former that wins, to the point where you could almost imagine him coming back as a superhero if the MCU wasn't quite so loyal to the comics. That doesn't sit cleanly with a bash-the-poor narrative, especially when it's the second disgruntled employee's wealth, privilege, and lack of class consciousness that makes him irredeemable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spiderverse is better than any other Spidey film since the Raimi gigs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, sure, but the MCU ones are pretty decent fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, that's the thing, isn't it? Adrian's sympathetic, heroic traits come from being a salt-of-the-earth working-class family man who looks out for his people, his villainous traits come from trying to be the same rear end in a top hat capitalist who ruined him, and ultimately, it's the former that wins, to the point where you could almost imagine him coming back as a superhero if the MCU wasn't quite so loyal to the comics. That doesn't sit cleanly with a bash-the-poor narrative, especially when it's the second disgruntled employee's wealth, privilege, and lack of class consciousness that makes him irredeemable.

Yeah also the PS4 ock thing was a big stretch to fit the narrative because its not talking about the whole plot with him and only taking like the first 10 min of his plot.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 23, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Here's a really good video on how a lot of secondary Spider-Man media has gone the road of demonising the working class in the past few years.
Current Releases was way ahead of the curve when it came to this kind of review, huh

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the Uncle Ben thing was presumably skipped because Spidey's origins have been done twice in the past decade and we don't need the hat-trick. I really respect the MCU writers for realizing this and just skipping an origin film altogether.

My personal take on the whole Tony Stark thing was Peter thinking he'd found a replacement male rolemodel/parental figure just to lose them a second time.

I'm not saying to redo his origin, I'm saying replacing Ben with Tony loving Stark is a complete 180 on what the context of all that was. It's fine if the story is meant to be Peter looking for another father figure but the newest movie doesn't actually explore that at all

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wasn’t beck’s whole thing that he was a sociopathic techbro who thought that Tony wasn’t fascist enough or was I just watching a different movie.

Arcsquad12 posted:

it’s better than every other marvel movie

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

wasn’t beck’s whole thing that he was a sociopathic techbro who thought that Tony wasn’t fascist enough or was I just watching a different movie.

he's a techbro douche but his main motivation is just basic jealousy that Stark got all the attention and praise because he basically turned heroics into free advertising. He's a lot less sympathetic than Vulture was but he's still kinda got a fair beef that no one actually calls Tony out on going from weapons selling to profiting off his heroics as if that's a more moral option.