Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jesus loving christ Meltzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sometimes you should like think things out. people say stuff and they don't think things out for like ten seconds

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was a real bad take by Dave, yep.

For those without a subscription, they were talking about the things Jones did to the waitress at the strip club and when it came to the choking part, Dave said that while everything else was bad, that shouldn't count because she "asked for it" :cripes:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Big Dave knows about women asking to be choked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

It was a real bad take by Dave, yep.

For those without a subscription, they were talking about the things Jones did to the waitress at the strip club and when it came to the choking part, Dave said that while everything else was bad, that shouldn't count because she "asked for it" :cripes:

No he didn't. He didn't say it shouldn't count, he doesn't say anything close to that even saying he shouldn't have done that and doesn't even read Jones' denial of the incident. They both completely 100% assume Jones is guilty because he is. The choke is even the part of the complaint where the waitress says it wasn't sexual.

Edit: And he even goes on to talk about how there are more incidents no one has reported involving Jon.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 23, 2019

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Dave needs to be Riggs in a Lethal Weapon reboot.

MassRafTer posted:

No he didn't. He didn't say it shouldn't count, he doesn't say anything close to that even saying he shouldn't have done that and doesn't even read Jones' denial of the incident. They both completely 100% assume Jones is guilty because he is. The choke is even the part of the complaint where the waitress says it wasn't sexual.

I haven't heard the podcast yet but how did everyone interpret Dave one way and you a different way? (BTW I trust you because you're like 99.99999% correct in these forums.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: And he even goes on to talk about how there are more incidents no one has reported involving Jon.

You're right that he didn't literally say"It shouldn't count", but I didn't say they read from Jones' denial or that Dave said it was sexual which you appear to be correcting me on anyway? I was paraphrasing what it came across like and it's another case of Dave trying to word things in a weird way that comes across real bad. Verbatim it was:

Bryan: Groping in a strip club was I believe the allegation?
Dave: Pretty much, not exactly... yeah pretty much.
Byran: Not exactly? It said he slapped her inappropriately, then pulled her into his lap and wouldn't let her go and then like grabbed her around the neck, right?
Dave: He tried to kiss her neck, yeah!
Bryan: So that appears to be groping in a strip club, I would say.
Dave: Yeah I think so, I think so, whatever it is. He tried to choke her too... though she egged him on on that, she actually said like uhh you know kind of playfully like "Well you can choke me but I can't choke you because you're so tall" so I guess she let him you know, choke her, and he choked her really tight, which she wasn't really appreciative of. So... which I can sort of understand if you really like, choke someone, yeah but the other stuff he wouldn't take no for an answer like thing.

I don't for a second think Dave is saying,"She deserved it" or that Jon Jones is getting an unfair deal (everybody knows Jon Jones is a giant piece of poo poo by now) but by going out of his way to single that out with the (rather pathetic) qualifier that her saying he's too tall for her to choke is somehow her consenting to him choking her it comes across as a really bad take that could have easily been avoided.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 23, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dave has gone full "Nothing matters lol" on John Jones and it results in him saying things stupidly I think. I'm pretty sure all John Jones talk from him is 99% exasperation.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Verbatim it was:

"She asked for it" is kind of a loaded phrase and I'd hesitate to apply it to the things Dave said here, especially in a way that implies a direct quote.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what the hell the verbatim quote is that he explained what happened and didn't try to excuse anything. he even said the choking thing was too much!!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jerusalem posted:

You're right that he didn't literally say"It shouldn't count", but I didn't say they read from Jones' denial or that Dave said it was sexual which you appear to be correcting me on anyway? I was paraphrasing what it came across like and it's another case of Dave trying to word things in a weird way that comes across real bad. Verbatim it was:

Bryan: Groping in a strip club was I believe the allegation?
Dave: Pretty much, not exactly... yeah pretty much.
Byran: Not exactly? It said he slapped her inappropriately, then pulled her into his lap and wouldn't let her go and then like grabbed her around the neck, right?
Dave: He tried to kiss her neck, yeah!
Bryan: So that appears to be groping in a strip club, I would say.
Dave: Yeah I think so, I think so, whatever it is. He tried to choke her too... though she egged him on on that, she actually said like uhh you know kind of playfully like "Well you can choke me but I can't choke you because you're so tall" so I guess she let him you know, choke her, and he choked her really tight, which she wasn't really appreciative of. So... which I can sort of understand if you really like, choke someone, yeah but the other stuff he wouldn't take no for an answer like thing.

I don't for a second think Dave is saying,"She deserved it" or that Jon Jones is getting an unfair deal (everybody knows Jon Jones is a giant piece of poo poo by now) but by going out of his way to single that out with the (rather pathetic) qualifier that her saying he's too tall for her to choke is somehow her consenting to him choking her it comes across as a really bad take that could have easily been avoided.

Pretty impressive you listened to AND typed the words Dave said and still managed to come to the wrong conclusion.

Like, if this goes to court then Jones' lawyers will definitely be able to spin that exchange as some hosed up version of consent, especially since everyone treats sex workers with so little respect.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you, if you look, he's not even... he isn't! not, not, okay. so he's not too tall to be choked! not by anyone! except, y'know. like like like a little person.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Cavauro posted:

if you, if you look, he's not even... he isn't! not, not, okay. so he's not too tall to be choked! not....eventhoughheIStootalltobechokedbut...not by anyone! except, y'know. like like like a little person.

I added a little to it for you so its more Daveish

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Can you even come to a conclusion from that? It's some bizarre Dave word salad where he's just dancing around whatever his point it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

got a lot of bix's on this forum these days, my god.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

got a lot of bix's on this forum these days, my god.

one was already one too many! :hehe:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Dave didn’t “go out of his way” to say anything. He just told the story as he knew it. Like a reporter. He just told it in a weird Deadpan Dave way which made it sound like he was being blasé about sexual assault when (I think) he was trying to be blasé about Jon Jones being lovely and facing no consequences.

A misstep, sure, but people really need to unclench a little w/r/t Dave.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Listen assholes I don't care for Ospreay much at all but his match with Okada was loving amazing and now I want my Okada/Orton dream match

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I can't believe we're ignoring the Dave moment of him telling Bryan that he believes Lacey Evans is a real person because she is literally a real person.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I enjoyed Dave calling Seth stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The first 15 minutes of the latest Pacific Rim are the most Pacific Rim minutes you can ask for.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
people lose all sense of listening/reading comprehension when it comes to meltzer

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So many Bixalikes

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I like reading big Wrestling Twitter™ threads where they all work each other up into a tizzy about Dave and what he's posting on his message board and what he's tweeting and what he said on the radio show and piling on, cause THIS is the time we're gonna get em, we got Dave, this is a big deal

And then I check in on this thread and because it is full of mostly non-insane people, no one has even mentioned whatever these guys have been tweeting hours about.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave seems like a very wholesome guy

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tato posted:

I like reading big Wrestling Twitter™ threads where they all work each other up into a tizzy about Dave and what he's posting on his message board and what he's tweeting and what he said on the radio show and piling on, cause THIS is the time we're gonna get em, we got Dave, this is a big deal

And then I check in on this thread and because it is full of mostly non-insane people, no one has even mentioned whatever these guys have been tweeting hours about.

why read tweets when you can read this thread for all your news. I come to SA to get my own curated good tweets TM and get some other schmoes to sift the wheat from the chaff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The first 15 minutes of the latest Pacific Rim are the most Pacific Rim minutes you can ask for.

I listened to the most recent 2 back to back so I might be mixing them up, but is it the one where Jim asks a question and before Fumi even has a chance to speak his cat lets out a massive,"MEEOOWWW!"? :3:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Guys I miss the Pisscast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I listened to the most recent 2 back to back so I might be mixing them up, but is it the one where Jim asks a question and before Fumi even has a chance to speak his cat lets out a massive,"MEEOOWWW!"? :3:

The cats start meowing so he asks about the cat, then if Fumi will replace the cats when they die, then that Dave might not come to the Dome so he might not, but actually he will, and Fumi told him not to wear wrestling t-shirts in Japan so he didn't wear them to Wrestlemania.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Is it that time of the week where people make poo poo up about what Dave said

Also his casual reference to Paul Winchell might be my single favorite Dave reference of all time

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 24, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

The cats start meowing so he asks about the cat, then if Fumi will replace the cats when they die, then that Dave might not come to the Dome so he might not, but actually he will, and Fumi told him not to wear wrestling t-shirts in Japan so he didn't wear them to Wrestlemania.

What’s the reasoning behind not wearing wrestling shirts to shows in Japan?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

What’s the reasoning behind not wearing wrestling shirts to shows in Japan?

People might think you were going to a wrestling show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Haha that's right, Jim starts of with,"Well if Dave isn't going I guess I won't go " and within like one line from Fumi he's already thinking about when to buy his tickets :allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm going to draw a bath with a nice drink for this

Well, here it is, we have finally discovered the single worst Nitro of all time. It's barely arguable. A show so bad that there are two of the dumbest things in wrestling history that totally got buried because so many other stupid things happened in the year 2000. RAW was good. Thank God these reviews have less than a year remaining. A fun show as always so check it out~!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lid posted:

I'm going to draw a bath with a nice drink for this

Well, here it is, we have finally discovered the single worst Nitro of all time. It's barely arguable. A show so bad that there are two of the dumbest things in wrestling history that totally got buried because so many other stupid things happened in the year 2000. RAW was good. Thank God these reviews have less than a year remaining. A fun show as always so check it out~!

I really hope they just keep going through RAW until the Invasion ends.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tato posted:

I used to be one of those people and it was because

A.) I wasn't ever a subscriber and my exposure to Dave was third-hand bullshit from sites that recapped poo poo he said in the most sensational manner or claimed his speculation was reporting, and

B.) I was a loving idiot who liked a product and felt like if everybody on the wrestling internet was making GBS threads on that product, that reflected on me somehow.

Then Russo booked Sting to lose his title to Abyss by DQ in a Styrofoam match and the spell was broken for a while, but in fits and starts, I'd keep loving doing it because I wanted to believe.

Pity those people. They're sad, sad people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

or claimed his speculation was reporting

I love that Bryan Alvarez is almost hardwired now to automatically signpost anything he says with,"This is just my speculation, don't put online that I reported this!"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The world title match on Nitro may, maaaaaaaay, top Bam Bam Bigelow vs Brian Knobbs as an entity of booking disgrace, but on the podcast the call doesn't because rather than let Vinny cover it Bryan covers it first and he doesn't have the seething exasperation that Vinny would've gotten across.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Not seen it yet but now I'm really curious. Tough to imagine something dumber than being counted out of anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
-****3/4