Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

v1ld posted:

Here's the 1.0.0 version of Remove Area Effects: https://github.com/v1ld/pfk-remove-area-effects/releases/download/v1.0.0/RemoveAreaEffects.-.1.0.0.zip

Mod's been renamed to "Remove Area Effects" from "Dismiss". You can safely remove the old mod in UMM and install this. I won't be changing the name again now it's at 1.0.0.

Readme has all the details: https://github.com/v1ld/pfk-remove-area-effects/blob/master/README.md

Changes are the new Wait mode and the Options menu, some improvements in how stuff is communicated. I'm not planning any more changes other than bug fixes if required. Gonna go back to playing the game now.

Would it be possible to add kineticist area effects to the list of removable spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Would it be possible to add kineticist area effects to the list of removable spells?

Yeah. Which ones are they?

It should probably automatically add all area effects based on duration. Will take a look at doing this later.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

v1ld posted:

Yeah. Which ones are they?

It should probably automatically add all area effects based on duration. Will take a look at doing this later.

There's a bunch...

They have a grease-like infusion.
Wall
Deadly earth
Cloud

I might be missing a few more. Adding all area effects should work.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

Turns out this isn't a good idea. There's no ready way to automatically determine which area effects are safe to dismiss. The list of 184 things the game considers area effects contains a large variety of things like PoolHealEffect, PatrolAuraAreaEffect, BlackDragonFrightfulPresenceArea - too much variety to easily categorize. The code itself doesn't provide any categorization that's safe and simple. So, the current list-based approach is the right one.

Send the names of area effect spells that both persist after combat ends and have a long duration and they can be added to the list.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Adding all area effects should work.

See above, not a good idea it turns out - many things are considered area effects by the game for mechanics purposes that should never be dismissed by us.

I'll take a look at the ones in your list. Send any more as you find them.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

There's a bunch...

They have a grease-like infusion.
Wall
Deadly earth
Cloud

I might be missing a few more. Adding all area effects should work.

Couldn't find the Grease one in game's area effects list, it's possible that it is being handled by the existing Grease are effect. Here's the list I found that correspond to your list, does this look right to you?

CloudBlizzardBlastArea, 6ea87a0ff5df41c459d641326f9973d5
CloudSandstormBlastArea, 48aa66d1a15515e40b07bc1f5fb80f64
CloudSteamBlastArea, 35a62ad81dd5ae3478956c61d6cd2d2e
CloudThunderstormBlastArea, 3659ce23ae102ca47a7bf3a30dd98609
DeadlyEarthEarthBlastArea, 4b19dd893a4b80a49905903bcd56b9e2
DeadlyEarthMagmaBlastArea, c26aa67475bdb64449b0e0be6a9ea823
DeadlyEarthMetalBlastArea, 38a2979db34ad0f45a449e5eb174729f
DeadlyEarthMetalBlastAreaRare, 267f19ba174b21e4d9baf30afd589068
DeadlyEarthMudBlastArea, 0af604484b5fcbb41b328750797e3948
WallAirBlastArea, 2a90aa7f771677b4e9624fa77697fdc6
WallBlizzardBlastArea, d12f759590ac61b40870a0725b92a985
WallBlueFlameBlastArea, f3b3f32b7f9f35b4cb4114d633b6de6d
WallBlueFlameBlastAreaPure, a4d33389f2b7b824889169d227cab729
WallChargedWaterBlastArea, 724d174829a1c1949a4a7ba99cfb06a0
WallColdBlastArea, 2414e5c126976604584ebcee90395eee
WallEarthBlastArea, af830491079fea141ad5f46e2dcf93cf
WallElectricBlastArea, 740b3ba212b5bb448becf202a97cdbf4
WallFireBlastArea, edb2896d49015434bbbe401ee27338c3
WallIceBlastArea, 3b65f77ec33ab764592803685fe6891e
WallMagmaBlastArea, f92cdd3b43a744f4f8abeacb913c92fb
WallMetalBlastArea, c6b4fc6e73c25de4f83378c959144dc8
WallMetalBlastAreaRare, 9a9895cbb91a15d48a0368ee8d0f650e
WallMudBlastArea, 2cad16fcffefe3240b2d6dc3d33ff580
WallPlasmaBlastArea, 182de1c07ecb56d448cd6d3237ae4b81
WallSandstormBlastArea, 2eef9ca9e79968547a01d06d3828e17f
WallSteamBlastArea, 6a64cc20d5820dc4cb3907b36ce6ac13
WallThunderstormBlastArea, 757b40456bbe27a46bbf18a57d64f31b
WallWaterBlastArea, bb4ddd5e7d64a4a49ba71fe8275d1553

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does Linzi go back to my capital when she dies? Tristian the same? And they won't need resurrection scrolls, right?

I'm down to two party members.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Remove Area Effects 1.0.1 is up at https://github.com/v1ld/pfk-remove-area-effects/releases/download/v1.0.1/RemoveAreaEffects.-.1.0.1.zip

Took out the "dismiss in combat" option. It isn't what this mod is for - qol out of combat.

## [1.0.1] - 2019-07-21
### Added
- Kineticist Cloud, Deadly Earth, Wall area effects
- Debugging Tools menu item for DEBUG builds

### Removed
- Dismiss in combat option

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know if anyone's recently played this part, but I've received the artisan quest Onslaught from Dragn. I'm tasked with retrieving three pieces of armor from three different merchants. Only when I look it up online, I just see the quest Lawbringer...is this a recent change?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know if anyone's recently played this part, but I've received the artisan quest Onslaught from Dragn. I'm tasked with retrieving three pieces of armor from three different merchants. Only when I look it up online, I just see the quest Lawbringer...is this a recent change?

Lawbringer is what the armor used to be (and named the quest after) while onslaught was what he reforged for you. Now the quests have been renamed thus as well.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I stuck that mod up on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/127

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Coming across the bear-shaped treant at level 3 with a Pally, Warrior, Barbarian and Bard.

cool cool, cool cool. okay then.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I like this Honest Guy fellow, very upfront. Trustworthy. His dragon buddy seems to have left a couple corpses lying about though, looking downright crestfallen.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Alchenar posted:

Coming across the bear-shaped treant at level 3 with a Pally, Warrior, Barbarian and Bard.

cool cool, cool cool. okay then.

Wandering the stolen lands is unsafe and scouting with stealth and running away from some areas to come back later stays in style.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That brings me to one of my major frustrations with this game - why the hell can't I place custom markers on the map? Even just colors would be fine. All I want to know is if I've cleared a certain explored area.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

That brings me to one of my major frustrations with this game - why the hell can't I place custom markers on the map? Even just colors would be fine. All I want to know is if I've cleared a certain explored area.

That is indeed frustrating, since 'You last visited this location on XX' applies even if you load an autosave from just before you enter the area. The first playthrough where I was hunting unique encounters for Ferniras, it took me 3 hours of manual checking to realize there was 1 area I had left alone

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah. That brings me to a question about Lonely Barrow, which I have yet to clear. What's the best tactic against golems? Their AC is insane.

e: also I guess the game uninstalled itself today what the gently caress lol

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 22, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bear treant is one of the game's early "you're not just running in and hitting stuff, are you?" checks. Although that can still work with a couple of lucky crits.

The other one is the swarms in the spider cave. You need to be doing some reading of loading screens that very rarely come up.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah. That brings me to a question about Lonely Barrow, which I have yet to clear. What's the best tactic against golems? Their AC is insane.

Targeting touch AC is the easiest option. Jubilost should take them down each very fast. AoE options also work. Just be mindful about what bypasses spell resistance/magic immunity and what does not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Phlegmish posted:

stuff like that is often easier to hit with AoE or perhaps single-target spells that don't target AC. you can also use touch-spells

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try as soon as I've finished reinstalling the game (???)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Spells don't tend to work well against golems because Pathfinder golems are immune to magic. Spells which do not allow spell resistance will work, but the vast majority will just do nothing whatsoever to them (this also applies to Kineticist blasts -- energy blasts like fire won't do anything to them).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Just a note here, but the golems in the Lonely Barrow are blatantly Iron Golems (possibly supposed to be slightly weakened variants due to the names), which are WAY above the CR of everything else on that main level (yes, even the Lonely Warrior). They're also guarding a hidden door dealing with something that you can't do anything with at that point in the game. i.e. It's very much an "ignore this and come back later" offshoot area with much more difficult enemies to encourage this.

As mentioned, they have fairly high AC and HP and DR, hit extremely hard (and have a small breath weapon), and as golems are basically completely immune to anything that allows spell resistance (outside a very few exceptions), so realistically you just have to boost your attack enough to deal with them - likely not realistically doable at the level you probably came across it outside very, very specific tactics.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I think I tripped them probably, because I tripped everyone if possible and it often worked

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

corn in the bible posted:

I think I tripped them probably, because I tripped everyone if possible and it often worked

Tripping (especially with a patch of grease or a bunch of ball bearings, Home Alone style) is a time-honored method of clowning golems.

EDIT:

Lord Koth posted:

Just a note here, but the golems in the Lonely Barrow are blatantly Iron Golems (possibly supposed to be slightly weakened variants due to the names), which are WAY above the CR of everything else on that main level (yes, even the Lonely Warrior).

For reference, two bog standard Iron Golems would be a CR 15 encounter, which is supposed to drain 25% of the resources (spells, HP, etc) of a party of four level 15 characters. It's a fight which wouldn't be out of place in the final or penultimate dungeon of the majority of the Adventure Paths. Golems are no joke and of the standard types Iron Golems are close to the strongest. These probably are weakened a little but yeah, they're not a fight you're expected to be capable of winning when you can first run across them.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 22, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Just a note here, but the golems in the Lonely Barrow are blatantly Iron Golems (possibly supposed to be slightly weakened variants due to the names), which are WAY above the CR of everything else on that main level (yes, even the Lonely Warrior). They're also guarding a hidden door dealing with something that you can't do anything with at that point in the game. i.e. It's very much an "ignore this and come back later" offshoot area with much more difficult enemies to encourage this.

As mentioned, they have fairly high AC and HP and DR, hit extremely hard (and have a small breath weapon), and as golems are basically completely immune to anything that allows spell resistance (outside a very few exceptions), so realistically you just have to boost your attack enough to deal with them - likely not realistically doable at the level you probably came across it outside very, very specific tactics.

I actually just beat them, but I brute-forced it with a buffed level 10 party. No clever tactics on my part. You're right though, there's nothing else I can do in that dungeon, I haven't received the associated quest (?) yet.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Did they fix the wall there? You used to be able to dimension door through it for early access (into death unless you are very good at munchkinning in which case into loot including a +8 mental stat hat)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

sassassin posted:

Bear treant is one of the game's early "you're not just running in and hitting stuff, are you?" checks.[/spoiler]

This might mean something if the game gave you literally any way to get out of a fight, rather than "welp, reload and try again".

Lord Koth posted:

....which, of course, doesn't actually work as a warning, because of how much the game's difficulty curve is hosed everywhere else.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

lurksion posted:

Did they fix the wall there? You used to be able to dimension door through it for early access (into death unless you are very good at munchkinning in which case into loot including a +8 mental stat hat)

Still works. If you have a few DDoors you can get some completely out of level loot including the best dueling sword in the game. (Takes 4 to be safe)

If you are not careful, well, hope you saved. A party trying to fight that will wipe 100% of the time if they don't know what's in there.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's absolutely intended, not something they plan on "fixing".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I should be able to travel the rivers these overland routes are bullshit.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

sassassin posted:

Lmao that never occurred to me but is 100% accurate.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Is there a mod that makes people aware of the challenge rating in each area? I feel like that would be really helpful when exploring the Stolen Lands.

Like, if you land on a spot, a message comes up saying "Recommended Level - X" without spoiling its contents, with another message that pops up if there are separate dungeons in the area. That way you don't always get your rear end kicked and waste time trying to beat a frustrating dungeon & monster that is way above your ability to do so.

The point of most D&D/Pathfinder games is to fight things that are roughly around your level, yet I felt that I was constantly running into encounters that would wipe out my party in one turn in Kingmaker.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you don't want to run into too-hard enemies you can stick to the quests in your journal. That's the guide to what the game thinks you're ready for.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Is there a mod that makes people aware of the challenge rating in each area? I feel like that would be really helpful when exploring the Stolen Lands.

Like, if you land on a spot, a message comes up saying "Recommended Level - X" without spoiling its contents, with another message that pops up if there are separate dungeons in the area. That way you don't always get your rear end kicked and waste time trying to beat a frustrating dungeon & monster that is way above your ability to do so.

The point of most D&D/Pathfinder games is to fight things that are roughly around your level, yet I felt that I was constantly running into encounters that would wipe out my party in one turn in Kingmaker.

On chapter 1, do not go into Tranquil river bend or Ratnook hill until you are at least lv 4. Maybe 5.
From chapter 2 and onward, do not go in the Cave in the Bridge over gudrin river until you are at least 6-7. Also, Do not do areas west of the side of verdant chapters(till you hit border with Pitax) until you are at least level 8-9. Every other area available to you is on your level range by default, due to how they open up.
Finally, in the Witch Hut in the swamp, you can ignore the Enraged Owlbear group for a time.

There are still some encounters that are tough, but hitting things out of your level range is actually unlikely.

The hilarious early period where midgame random encounters popped up in chapter 1 due to bugs notwithstanding.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder if this is moddable. It probably is.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

If I have any luck looking into notes on the map, I'll add this to the pile of requests.

sassassin posted:

Since I'm looking at the map code anyways I'll keep this in mind to.

Will report back to the thread ~later~.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I beat the golems by using my standard method of "fill the room with skeletal champions and whittle them down from range" that I use for most of the big bads I run into.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, Vordakai's tomb is proving to be more difficult than anticipated, and I, uh, did not bring any supplies. I'm at the Soul Eater fight and I'm down to my last Haste/Slow, don't know how much more dungeon is left. You guys got any tips? My party is Valerie, Amiri, Harrim, Linzi, Octavia and my MC sorcerer, all with predictable builds.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
They have added supplies in the tomb after a certain patch, so finishing the floor and checking if it was in any loot you missed may help(though I think they are all on the second floor)
You do not have Jaethal so she can tank stat draining opponents or kinetic sisters to kill most enemies resource free and second floor has a few hard encounters. If it comes to the worst, edit in some supplies in your inventory. Reload will be too muchl since the barbarian merchant in the camp has left so you will need to go too far back.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

JamMasterJim posted:

They have added supplies in the tomb after a certain patch, so finishing the floor and checking if it was in any loot you missed may help(though I think they are all on the second floor)
You do not have Jaethal so she can tank stat draining opponents or kinetic sisters to kill most enemies resource free and second floor has a few hard encounters. If it comes to the worst, edit in some supplies in your inventory. Reload will be too muchl since the barbarian merchant in the camp has left so you will need to go too far back.

You actually can't leave the tomb even if you wanted to go back, the door locks behind you as soon as you open your first door inside. First playthrough I smelled a trap and I accidentally locked my casters in the entrance area away from my frontline, it was Not Good. Luckily it only persisted to the first skill challenge location changing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will search for the supplies.

I know I should have been more prepared, but this tomb is hard, right? I guess on the positive side, I was able to clear most of it on one rest.